AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-03, 12:41   Link #1
densbunny

new to anime. suggestions for drama or comedy anime films?

hey does anyone have any recommendations for drama or comedy anime films not tv shows.not really keen on action or that much fantasy.
thanks in advance
these are some anime films i loved if this helps.
the cat returns
spirited away
whisper of the heart
toyko godfathers
only yesterday
Old 2011-05-03, 13:19   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Not sure if you already know, but you seem to like Hayao Miyazaki films(Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart), so I guess you've seen most of them? Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service are some of my favorites =03.

Perfect Blue deserves a mention, directed by Satoshi Kon, who also did Tokyo Godfathers, so that'll probably be up your alley. It has a darker theme though .

You might like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as well.
Old 2011-05-03, 14:26   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

Summer Wars. You'll love it.
Old 2011-05-03, 14:46   Link #4
mecharobot

Since Satoshi Kon has already been mentioned, I might as well add Millennium Actress here. It is a rather light drama I think, which mixes the fantastic with the real seamlessly.

Also, pretty much the only comedy movie I've seen that really made me laugh is Mind Game.
Old 2011-05-03, 15:46   Link #5
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Nausicaa is a classic. Slightly fantasy, but not heavily so.
Metropolis (the anime) is kind of dark, but very well done. Near-future slightly sci-fi.

Lotta anime that can sell in film form is heavy on action though. Easier to do action than plot in the short format. Dunno why there's a relative lack of comedy films, at least that I know of... maybe comedy sells better as TV shows in Japan.
Old 2011-05-03, 16:28   Link #6
densbunny

thanks for everyones replies so far,defintely going to look into some of those. yeah i noticed a lot of anime is heavy on action which isnt really my thing. i really loved only yesterday, which is a bit of a chick flick so maybe if anyone has any suggestions similiar to that?
Old 2011-05-04, 15:56   Link #7
Niji

Piano no mori. If you like piano, and/or classical music, a must. Very nice. If music in general is a possible interest, Nitaboh - classical japanese music.

A special kind of comedy, err drama, err... is arashi no yoru ni. One of my favorites

Drama maybe Barefoot Gen? Heavy stuff though, be warned.

I would suggest all of Ghibli's since you seem to like some. All of them are a bit Fantasy-y, but you seem to tolerate that level, or style of fantasy. My neighbor Totoro is maybe a bit very fantasy, but Howl's moving castle is a very nice one too, and others.
Old 2011-05-04, 16:26   Link #8
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'd highly suggest Bungaku Shoujo it was the best anime drama movie I've seen in quite a while[and probably my favorite non-t.v.-series related anime movie], it's not fantasy or action driven at all and has good romance too, so should be the type you're looking for .
MAL
Old 2011-05-04, 19:50   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I suggest looking into Makoto Shinkai's works. No action there, mostly drama/romance and they are gorgeous with the art so I think you'll love them. My favourite is The Place Promised In Our Early Days. There's three movies right now and fourth should be released ... this month I think. Well for movie theaters anyway, few months more for a dvd release etc.