Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-15, 13:40   Link #23621
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I haven't seen the video and don't have the time/interest, but... If this is how the majority of practitioners of Islam (in these countries, specifically) are reacting, perhaps there is a problem with the faith and it deserves criticism? Do they even stop and think, wow, we sure are reacting like three year olds here being so worked up over a video someone made. This is doing wonders for our faith's PR campaign....

Well, of course they don't, but they should....
the protest against American goes beyond the movie clip. The root cause goes way back (several centuries). I know some poster around here like to say people need to get over the past. But well, as i said before it is easier said then done.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:56   Link #23622
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I haven't seen the video and don't have the time/interest, but... If this is how the majority of practitioners of Islam (in these countries, specifically) are reacting, perhaps there is a problem with the faith and it deserves criticism? Do they even stop and think, wow, we sure are reacting like three year olds here being so worked up over a video someone made. This is doing wonders for our faith's PR campaign....

Well, of course they don't, but they should....
I don't agree about them being mentally 3 year old. Selectively maybe but not in every aspect.

Regarding your assumingly rethorical question if they are going to reflect upon their behaviour like a well educated, enlightened individual. Well, certainly not. Psychologically it is not possible for them to immediately reflect upon what they did that way.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:57   Link #23623
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
This is the real problem with people. Sometimes I don't get it why people want to hoard their money when it could be better of growing elsewhere and doing more good for the economy by giving someone else higher pay.
Simple. I don't feel like buying anything (and spending for the sake of spending doesn't appeal to me), and I don't feel like spending the time and effort necessary to invest.
Old 2012-09-15, 14:07   Link #23624
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I should be in bed, but thought I would post this to cheer us up a just a tad bit among all the grim...

County Judge Strikes Down Some Restrictions on Public Unions in Wisconsin Law

While the headline says "Some Restrictions", it's actually much of the law that has been struck down as unconstitutional. Yeah, I'm pretty sure Scott Walker and his billionaire cronies will appeal and will try to keep the law as it is for as long as they can.... but at least, there is finally some pushback.
Old 2012-09-15, 14:21   Link #23625
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here's some other positive news about how the courts have been thwarting the Republican efforts to disenfranchise voters who are more like to support the Democrats:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ion-overreach/

http://www.thenation.com/blog/169937...r-voter-purges

As someone who watched the struggles to enfranchise blacks during the 1960s, complete with dogs, water hoses, and murders, I find these blatant Republican-backed disenfranchisement efforts repugnant. Most estimates can identify fewer than 100 cases of impersonation fraud over the past few elections when nearly 200,000,000 ballots were cast. Republicans in Pennsylvania admitted they had no evidence of any such cases in the state when asked to justify their draconian voter ID law. The real justification came from the leader of the Republican party in the state legislature during a meeting of his party's state committee: "Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”

President Obama has a substantial lead in Pennsylvania, one which even the type of extensive voter suppression in the PA law (an estimated 750K - 1M voters) seems unlikely to thwart.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-15 at 14:32.
Old 2012-09-15, 14:38   Link #23626
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Nothing about Typhoon Sanba? It's heading for Okinawa at almost Category 5 windspeeds!

And it's forecast to hit Korea and possibly Kyushu; at least strength, but still pretty powerfully.
Old 2012-09-15, 16:02   Link #23627
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It seems even the recent Anti-Islamic film protests aren't without it's fair share of irony...
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...med-video.html
Old 2012-09-15, 16:09   Link #23628
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Xi Reappears, but does Hu want to stay on?

Some fascinating reporting about how the upcoming Chinese leadership transition appears to have created turmoil within the top levels of the CCP. The author suggests that Hu Jintao has no desire to step down and may be inflaming tensions over the Senkakus as part of that strategy. Another view attributes the conflicts with Japan to growing military control over China's foreign policy as the civilian leaders squabble.
That doesn't look good if the military are taking over control, but I still believe Japan needs to stand up to them and not falter.

And if the old man doesn't step down, what will happen? He'll order a rampage against other members of the CCP? Create his own version of an ultranationalist government? The old senile fool should just leave already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Anti-film protest in Sydney turns violent
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Tw*ts!

If having stereotypes about the Muslims and Arabs was already bad, those fools with the mentality of 3-year-olds are no better in constructing those stereotypes by holding such reactions. Feeling offended is one thing, but there's no way I'd tolerate people who can react like such idiots especially in countries who were ready to welcome them when those people had nowhere to go. If that's how they "thank" countries like Australia, the reaction of the locals can only be such as "F*** y'all! We owe you nothing and you don't deserve our kindness anymore! You don't want to grow up a little, then GTFO!".

Sorry if this looks harsh for some, but such people won't get any apologies from me when all they are is a bunch of immature brats with adult bodies.
Old 2012-09-15, 16:35   Link #23629
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It seems even the recent Anti-Islamic film protests aren't without it's fair share of irony...
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...med-video.html
The syrians are quite right to be pissed by their arabs ''brothers''. Too bad than the protesters will never hear or read about this .
Old 2012-09-15, 16:38   Link #23630
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The syrians are quite right to be pissed by their arabs ''brothers''. Too bad than the protesters will never hear or read about this .
it is not like the Persians and the Arabs ever got along that well.
Old 2012-09-15, 16:41   Link #23631
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is not like the Persians and the Arabs ever got along that well.
well they as much as "friendly" as korea and japan

Old 2012-09-15, 18:17   Link #23632
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Al-Qaida calls for more attacks on embassies
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-15-17-43-30
Are they trying to remind the world than they are till around ?
Old 2012-09-15, 19:21   Link #23633
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
This is the real problem with people. Sometimes I don't get it why people want to hoard their money when it could be better of growing elsewhere and doing more good for the economy by giving someone else higher pay.
It's called risk aversion.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:04   Link #23634
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ It's also called minimum acceptance standard of living.

I know some people that have trouble living on US$30K a month because of private school for 3 children, expensive dinners, housekeepers and numerous other expenses.. I'm not so dumb to think that anyone would have sympathy for them, but that's how life is. So the higher your costs, the larger the nest egg needed for a "cushion" as a %

Expenses expand to fill increasing amounts of disposable income.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:05   Link #23635
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Indeed, a lot of people have gotten burned by financial institutions.

Also, the system is so complex, that saving can seem like a job in and of itself. Even the mathematically literate find it hard, and most people don't even earn enough to save substantial quantities anyway.

Still, I think it's a good idea to save anyway. You just need to be very careful.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:21   Link #23636
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Man, I'm sick of the really stupid people on earth, I really am.

First, let's start with China. So many people protesting and causing damage to Japanese stores and businesses. China has a corrupt government and a big military. They bully people around in Asia (diplomatically to some; with oppression and force to others). I think Japan has more of a right to claim the islands than China. China is just thinking "me, me, me" because of the possibility of oil being under the islands, and they think they can just bully Japan into giving them up. Japan is standing up to the bully, and so now many people in China are just being destructive (to Japanese businesses) and sometimes violent. I know anti-Japan sentiments are still high in China because of World War II (it is understandable, but I think they should be 'more over it' by this point in time), but it makes me mad that these people (destructive/violent protesters and activists) are so out of line for Japan standing up to a bully government (I understand they don't see it that way). They are so mad and anti-Japan because of the corrupt Japanese government and military which were put to an end in 1945, and Japan has now progressed very, very much since then and has done a total 180 degree turn around, and yet now China is a corrupt power in Asia today instead. It has pretty much been a role reversal, yet so many Chinese people still hate Japan, and this bothers me. Sometimes it really bothers me and makes me upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post

Other stupid people: the many Muslims who are being way outta line over the very stupid anti-Islam movie. I'm sorry, but it just isn't acceptable to be violent and destructive if you feel insulted. Behead all those who insult the Prophet Mohammed? No. Just no. It is completely understandable if Muslims dislike anyone insulting their revered prophet, but wishing death upon them or even killing them? The former is wrongful, and the latter is absolutely unjustifiable. Muslims are followers of Allah, they don't worship Mohammed. Their religion is not Mohammedism, but considering how many of them are, they might as well refer to their religion as Mohammedism. (That last sentence isn't talking about all Muslims, it is a snide comment to the Muslims who unacceptably overreact to Mohammed being insulted)

It is crazy. Christians are followers of Jesus and worship him. They think Jesus is God. If someone says or does something offensive in regards to Jesus and it insults Christians, they don't kill them or gather into groups and partake in angry protests. Christianity teaches people to forgive those that trespass against them, and in fact, many Christians would seek forgiveness for people who insult Jesus and some would even pray for them. Christians believe Jesus is God Almighty. Muslims regard Mohammed as a prophet. Yet, if someone insults Mohammed, or draws a depiction of Mohammed, whether it be a good depiction or an offensive one, many Muslims get angry and wish death upon or even kill people over it. What is wrong with this picture?

Also, making that little kid hold that sign is just plain wrong.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-09-15 at 20:36.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:36   Link #23637
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. Christians *used* to kill you for those sorts of things (and still do in a few parts of the world). And, of course, Jews were the Chosen Ones and would slaughter entire kingdoms if you believe the Torah (Old Testament mostly). Abrahamic religions seem like they go through "childhoods" for an eon or two before they stop being so insecure they have to hurt/kill anyone who doesn't fall in line.

Its probably true of many religions, but this is just front and center.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:40   Link #23638
Sumeragi
Banned

Radical extremism is the same. Saying only religions go through such phases is pretty much being blind in my opinion.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:42   Link #23639
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well.. Christians *used* to kill you for those sorts of things (and still do in a few parts of the world). And, of course, Jews were the Chosen Ones and would slaughter entire kingdoms if you believe the Torah (Old Testament mostly). Abrahamic religions seem like they go through "childhoods" for an eon or two before they stop being so insecure they have to hurt/kill anyone who doesn't fall in line.

Its probably true of many religions, but this is just front and center.
While it is true that there has been a lot of unjustifiable violence from Christians and Jews in the past, in the modern era things are much better with both religions. It is 2012 now and Islam is pretty much still stuck in the year 1200. Islam should have progressed more in the last several decades to match the progress Christianity and Judaism have made in these modern times. That the religion began around 450 years after Christianity emerged isn't an excuse for it. It really should have progressed more by now in these modern times.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:47   Link #23640
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
While it is true that there has been a lot of unjustifiable violence from Christians and Jews in the past, in the modern era things are much better with both religions. It is 2012 now and Islam is pretty much still stuck in the year 1200. Islam should have progressed more in the last several decades to match the progress Christianity and Judaism have made in these modern times. That the religion began around 450 years after Christianity emerged isn't an excuse for it. It really should have progressed more by now in these modern times.
Let's not fool ourselves here, there continue to be crimes committed in the name of gods of all stripes, Islamic or not. There are still religious, racist and other hate crimes committed daily in the U.S.

I'm not religious myself, but it does help people through hard times, so despite my issues with reconciling Science vs. Religion with regards to scientific progress, I personally know people that religion has managed to help.

For extremists, see: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international