Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-01-02, 07:16   Link #11441
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
My PzSflV made it to six consecutive games without taking any damage (then it got blown up in a game that managed to combine inconvenient lag spikes with a team that lemminged off in one direction, leaving me to cover an entire main approach).

The part that actually bothers me about this statistic is that the PzSflV only avoids damage by being too slow, unstealthy, and vulnerable to be operated close to the front. The last time I saw a PzSflV get too close to the front line, I one-shot it with my SU-152.

Anyway, I'm within a few games' grinding of unlocking the RBWT. I have the RBWT now. My impulse to free XP the goddamn suspension is held back by the thought that 100K for the enhanced suspension module as a temporary measure over a bonus XP weekend shouldn't be that bad.

So my only remaining active tank grind is the SU-152 to ISU-152, then it'll just be a matter of working up the XP for the very large final cannons on all these tier 8 TDs. And waiting for the ennui to set in.
The usual things for German tanks and TDs: They`re big, hence they got bad camo value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I remember how hard playing tier 1 solo can be as I played 18 games on the slow, unweildy Renault Otsu (good final gun though).
I remember that part too luckily I managed to get 3 kills as stock
Silver-Throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 14:36   Link #11442
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Started playing my T34 again after a long break. Now that my computer can afford the high-risk high-alpha long-reload playstyle without hardware lags causing me to miss ending up with 0 damage games all the time, it's such a great experience.
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 22:52   Link #11443
Gravitas Free Zone

Images
Not quite like the old days.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Making it rain.

Images
Speaking of the weather.

Images
Flawless Victory!

Images
M5 Stuart Ace Tanker
Replay of that.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 02:20   Link #11444
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

0% daily win rate in the E 50 achieved!
x5: did not get.

I bet my WN or whatever people use got padded a lot because I was top xp in all those losses with 3000-4000 damage.

I'll be ok with not moving beyond tier 8. The bad players in tier 9 and 10 games are worse than the bad players in tier 1 games. I really don't know what to do anymore. At least in tier 1 they can still hit things. Here you have a full health E-75 missing every shot and getting killed by a IS-6 with 130 hp left (just ram the damn thing...). Then you get a T30 moving around pretending to be busy only to get killed by T32 because T30 was giving him the hull while shooting right into T32's gun. I've seen it all.

Maybe I just suck at carrying, but it seems that in higher tiers, bad players making mistakes have game-breaking consequences whereas in lower tiers you can kind of make up for it by playing better yourself.

Debating whether I should just sell all my tier 9s for credits and buy a a lot of equipments on sale. Thoughts? I am apparently not allowed to win in tier 9, but nobody is preventing me from doing damage. So it's still good for non-WR related stat padding. This is pretty much the only thing holding me back because that damage count looks rather nice.

Last edited by Achiuakuna; 2014-01-03 at 02:35.
Old 2014-01-03, 03:18   Link #11445
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Your motion is rejected, Achi-san. I need a fellow sufferer when I put my Patton out to the terror of the battlefield.

And yes, uppermost tier mistakes cost dearly. That E-100 *needs* to use its HP or the rest of us are going to pay out of our own HPs. Compensating for a bad Batchat player is terribly burdensome. A fail TD driver is going to be difficult to compensate, damage-wise, when you drive something lighter and less...dominant. All of which makes platooning () all the more important.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 08:51   Link #11446
Gravitas Free Zone

So it seems that WG, Steam, and Origin were attacked last night; connecting to any of those services was a mess. Anyone having issues getting into NA East or West now? I'm not trying yet because I have to dig out a large mound of snow first.
Old 2014-01-03, 08:57   Link #11447
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Still having ping issues -- East server spiked at around 400+ for me, 250+ for West -- but it's been that way since the 25th. Otherwise, tanking as usual.
Old 2014-01-03, 11:56   Link #11448
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Quote:
Your motion is rejected, Achi-san. I need a fellow sufferer when I put my Patton out to the terror of the battlefield.

And yes, uppermost tier mistakes cost dearly. That E-100 *needs* to use its HP or the rest of us are going to pay out of our own HPs. Compensating for a bad Batchat player is terribly burdensome. A fail TD driver is going to be difficult to compensate, damage-wise, when you drive something lighter and less...dominant. All of which makes platooning () all the more important.
I'm not so sure. I feel like in the current patch medium tanks are just free credit and xp for other tanks. Medium tanks' supposed advantages are not THAT much better than the other classes. In my opinion the maneuverability needs a serious buff or else they are just heavy tanks with less HP and worse guns. The days when mediums can circle things are long gone. Heavies and TDs, which are "supposed" to have slow traverses, are in reality not that slow. Circle does not mean instant death anymore. You can at most get one shot on him before he catches up with you (unless he's really stupid, in which case the circling is not required in the first place. I think it's only fair if you get certain death as punishment after making a tactical mistake of letting medium circle you, but most of the time player fps pewpewpew mouse and keyboard skills can make up for it because heavies and TDs are not THAT slow in turning, which I really have problem with). Take the Pershing for example. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a slightly faster T32 with less HP and a stock gun. That acceleration makes me yawn... it takes FOREVER to get that thing going, and I have the top engine too. I'm not saying they should be all like the Cromwell, but at least buff the maneuverability to Comet level.

Quote:
So it seems that WG, Steam, and Origin were attacked last night; connecting to any of those services was a mess. Anyone having issues getting into NA East or West now? I'm not trying yet because I have to dig out a large mound of snow first.
I was alright last night. My platoonmate had that problem though so she couldn't join my platoon. Even though she appeared online.
Old 2014-01-03, 13:27   Link #11449
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

German engineering may make tanks out of toasters, but dem toasters can't stand up to one good DEEEERRRP!

Images
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 16:52   Link #11450
Gravitas Free Zone

Eh, toasters can't even stand up to one clip from a Pz IC. Though mine did have an inexplicable survival from a pointblank arty HE shell.

Speaking of autoloaders, I got my AMX 50 100 and predictably dumped the M4 45 as quickly as I could.
Old 2014-01-03, 16:55   Link #11451
Blaat

Bought the T-44, can someone explain me why the aiming time on the 85mm D5-T is slower than on the T-43 and T-34-85?

Also sold me M4A3E8 and transferred the crew to the T20, the tank isn't as fast as I thought it would be. It felt like I was driving a heavy tank. :\
Old 2014-01-03, 17:05   Link #11452
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Bought the T-44, can someone explain me why the aiming time on the 85mm D5-T is slower than on the T-43 and T-34-85?

Also sold me M4A3E8 and transferred the crew to the T20, the tank isn't as fast as I thought it would be. It felt like I was driving a heavy tank. :\
T-44: To make life more difficult.

The T20 can get some decent speed in a straight line, but no, you're not going to be ducking and weaving like the E8 did.

Other benefit for me of getting the AMX 50 100 done: Insane French speedgrinding is now over. (Actually, all of my holiday event grinds are done now, at least six days ahead of schedule.) Now I can play through my giant tank pile and harvest some 5x games for free XP without needing to worry about getting back to the grindstone.
Old 2014-01-03, 18:52   Link #11453
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
I need a fellow sufferer when I put my Patton out to the terror of the battlefield.
Are you on east or west? I've got two tier 9s that could use some allies.

Quote:
The biggest thing that makes high tiers so scary is the fact that the tanks' abilities have far outgrown the maps. The problems mentioned above about mediums not having enough mobility to justify their use over heavies and TDs that cause camping exist at other tiers too, but they are made bearable by the fact that that StuG III isn't going to spot and nuke you once you're 150m away from the starting point and out of cover.

Last edited by LeoXiao; 2014-01-03 at 19:09.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 20:33   Link #11454
Gravitas Free Zone

So... this is the AMX 50 100 using the 90mm DCA 45, with and without Improved Ventilation.

Images
33.28 vs 34.02 seconds

So... 0.74 second separates those two. I may stick with the 90mm, given the not-enormous difference in penetration versus a 15-second difference in base reload time.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that putting Coated Optics on the AMX 50 100, instead of vents, is going to make a much larger difference in my gameplay, comparing a 38-meter difference in view range (bringing it to 418 meters' base) to staying in cover for one more second while I reload.
Old 2014-01-03, 20:36   Link #11455
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Do you have any business sniping from 418m away though? Don't French guns have infinite aim time as to compensate the OPness of autoloaders? As in, even if you autoload to your next shell, your reticle still blooms to max and takes 3 seconds to zoom in so as to give you an effective reload time(even though the loading itself is instantaneous)?
Old 2014-01-03, 21:01   Link #11456
Gravitas Free Zone

Sight range is sight range; it's not for the sniping as much for being able to spot more things earlier than they spot me.

But yes, the aim time has a 3-second base (and I'm already running both EGLD and VS to counteract that), and the vents do help a bit more with it.

Either way, 10 gold to swap out is basically nothing.
Old 2014-01-03, 22:04   Link #11457
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that putting Coated Optics on the AMX 50 100, instead of vents, is going to make a much larger difference in my gameplay, comparing a 38-meter difference in view range (bringing it to 418 meters' base) to staying in cover for one more second while I reload.
Optics, vertstab, GLD.

Even though the AMX 50 100 has the camo value of a barn, it's fast and it moves around a lot. Just by driving around the field to reload or position yourself, your 418m of view range will accidentally spot lots of heavies and many non-optics mediums (which there are a lot of) before they spot you. And don't underestimate the importance of getting the first shot in during engagements.

From my experience I tended to snipe with the 50 100 around the start of battle to preserve my HP, allowing me to face and kill tanks head-on while surviving later in the game, and the combination of the vertstab and GLD made sniping more feasible than with my AMX 13 90.

Also, good call adding camo paint to your 50 100.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 22:12   Link #11458
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiuakuna View Post
I'm not so sure. I feel like in the current patch medium tanks are just free credit and xp for other tanks. Medium tanks' supposed advantages are not THAT much better than the other classes. In my opinion the maneuverability needs a serious buff or else they are just heavy tanks with less HP and worse guns. The days when mediums can circle things are long gone. Heavies and TDs, which are "supposed" to have slow traverses, are in reality not that slow. Circle does not mean instant death anymore. You can at most get one shot on him before he catches up with you (unless he's really stupid, in which case the circling is not required in the first place. I think it's only fair if you get certain death as punishment after making a tactical mistake of letting medium circle you, but most of the time player fps pewpewpew mouse and keyboard skills can make up for it because heavies and TDs are not THAT slow in turning, which I really have problem with). Take the Pershing for example. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a slightly faster T32 with less HP and a stock gun. That acceleration makes me yawn... it takes FOREVER to get that thing going, and I have the top engine too. I'm not saying they should be all like the Cromwell, but at least buff the maneuverability to Comet level.
Life as a medium is entirely possible right now still. You just have to be better than the opponent, period, because you don't have any other choice.

I would, however, welcome any maneuverability/speed improvements to every one of my mediums. Adding like 10mm armor to the likes of Pershing and Patton wouldn't do a thing, anyway (although a proper turret buff for a Patton would be wonderful -- the Pershing can hull down better than it by far!).

The Batchat, long after its supremacy was eclipsed by massive power creep, remains a showcase of what can be done in mediums in good hands: be incredibly annoying, be very hard to catch and kill, and be something that cannot be ignored or you will make them pay. Then, late game, make them really pay. One thing about tier 10 mediums: even if TDs out-DPM, you, you still out-DPM the heavies. You just shoot that much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Are you on east or west? I've got two tier 9s that could use some allies.
West. East tends to throw me into some obscene lag problems.

Quote:
The biggest thing that makes high tiers so scary is the fact that the tanks' abilities have far outgrown the maps. The problems mentioned above about mediums not having enough mobility to justify their use over heavies and TDs that cause camping exist at other tiers too, but they are made bearable by the fact that that StuG III isn't going to spot and nuke you once you're 150m away from the starting point and out of cover.
That and the StuG III isn't going to outfight an M4 in a straight fight. I will not speak of the cursed WTF, for that is an abomination, but the Foch or the Obj. are eminently capable of finishing off a tier 10 Patton at little cost to itself, so long as the drivers are of equal skill.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 22:16   Link #11459
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
That and the StuG III isn't going to outfight an M4 in a straight fight. I will not speak of the cursed WTF, for that is an abomination, but the Foch or the Obj. are eminently capable of finishing off a tier 10 Patton at little cost to itself, so long as the drivers are of equal skill.
You can thank the now-unjustified disproportionate increase in HP for TDs in tiers 9-10 for that.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 22:58   Link #11460
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
You can thank the now-unjustified disproportionate increase in HP for TDs in tiers 9-10 for that.
HP increases for TDs for tier 9 was justified because in beta tank destroyers ended at tier 9. Therefore they were more balanced as "tier 9.25-9.50" tanks. (The old tier 9 mediums as well, but they got nerfed) Tank destroyers did not, as they were controlled by SPG spam.

Now that SPG spam has been mostly nerfed, TDs don't have as many natural predators, so to speak.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks