AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2017-06-26, 18:15   Link #761
Psyco Diver

I'm looking forward to the British BB line also. I'm going back and taking my sub 50% win rate ships back out to bring them up to at least 50% or better, I started with the Myogi which will be my hardest to bring up because of all the losses I suffered. She's proving to be more capable than I have her credit for but the Wyoming and Kaiser are far better. I also rebought the Furataka, I haven't played get since OBT and the buffs she hasn't gotten are nice
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-26, 19:59   Link #762
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

From what I know about Conqueror, beside on L2 variant of Lion-class, layout is heavily based on HMS Vanguard, given how the latter got into service after WWII. So it would make sense if given with postwar weapons like on Minotaur or at least like on Neptune.

In other news, the Soviet's top tier BBs announced are Pr. 21, Pr. 23 Sovetsky Soyuz & Pr. 24 (I call Pytor Veliky) The rest of them are very likely to be Imperial Russian dreads up until the 16-in guns dread project which would have been the first in the world before Nagato should it be laid down a year earlier.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-27, 03:18   Link #763
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

@Psyco Diver: I likewise bought back old ships (New Mexico and Fuso); T6 is kind of the sweet spot in terms of fun-rewards-balance. Will have to kit them up again, though, but ATM my various ship modules keep gobbling up my credits before I can even use them for upgrades.

Well, today, I'll try to earn $1M so that I can finally graduate to the Bayern (unlocked it last night with the remainder of my free XP). The König's horrible RNG, snail-paced turret traverse and neurasthenic propulsion were seriously starting to get on my nerves. Can't wait to get to the Gneisenau, as I already love my Scharnhorst to bits and know what's more or less in store.

@Xero8420: While it'd make sense to cap off the end of the line with the RN's most humongously-armed ship design (note: the Brits actually started drawing plans for 18''-equipped battleships at the end of WWI, but the Washington Treaty came into effect shortly thereafter, thus ending all such projects), I still don't relish the idea of another lolpenner skulking out there. The Yamato is already bad enough as it is. T_T

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-27, 04:39   Link #764
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
@Psyco Diver: I likewise bought back old ships (New Mexico and Fuso); T6 is kind of the sweet spot in terms of fun-rewards-balance. Will have to kit them up again, though, but ATM my various ship modules keep gobbling up my credits before I can even use them for upgrades.

Well, today, I'll try to earn $1M so that I can finally graduate to the Bayern (unlocked it last night with the remainder of my free XP). The König's horrible RNG, snail-paced turret traverse and neurasthenic propulsion were seriously starting to get on my nerves. Can't wait to get to the Gneisenau, as I already love my Scharnhorst to bits and know what's more or less in store.

@Xero8420: While it'd make sense to cap off the end of the line with the RN's most humongously-armed ship design (note: the Brits actually started drawing plans for 18''-equipped battleships at the end of WWI, but the Washington Treaty came into effect shortly thereafter, thus ending all such projects), I still don't relish the idea of another lolpenner skulking out there. The Yamato is already bad enough as it is. T_T
The thing with these big old ships like the Yammy, is they end up taking all the hits if they aren't careful.
Any good or decent players within a team, will know to focus on a Yammy.
Infact for the most part, Montana still wreck quite well from what I've seen cause people still think they aren't a big a threat as the other T10s so tend to be left alone till last(it's a slight benefit of being considered the "worst" T10)

Haven't played as much lately but I am looking forward to the RN BB line, the Lion looks like it might be a good T9.
Also looking forward to the KGV, looks good with the quad turrets.
Old 2017-06-27, 08:50   Link #765
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

^--- It's true that at every tier there's a "designated pińata" that everyone just gangs on. I should know, I'm driving one of them: the Amagi. That thing has all the subtlety of a death metal band holding a surprise concert inside a Cistercian monastery; I'm barely out of my spawn point that I'm already spotted (currently saving credits for that concealment upgrade and slowly making my way to the Tier 4 captain skills for the Concealment Expert) and shot, first by the farthest-reaching BBs then by everyone and their mother-in-law. It can be quite frustrating. Driving a Missouri is also an unspoken death sentence, because everyone who doesn't have a Mighty Mo (or is far away from the 750K free XP threshold) will punish you for reminding them about it.

The Nelson would probably be interesting to play; I wonder if WG implemented a mechanic that makes it so that, every time you unleash a broadside, you incur internal damage, like in real life.

For the Conqueror I at least hope it'll share some of the Yamato's ponderousness (turret traverse, turning, etc) and be more vulnerable at close range.

Old 2017-06-27, 12:14   Link #766
Psyco Diver

Quote:

I found the Konig boring personally tough but way under gunned with it's ROF being it's saving grace. I loved the Bayern and recently bought it back for Ranked. It's AA is deceptively good since it's mostly long range. I build mine for secondaries and worked well for me
Old 2017-06-27, 21:25   Link #767
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_18-45_mk2.php
In between 1.5 and 2.0 RPM in RoF, not sure how it'll work out well. I need to talk with the NA forum peeps.

And honestly, if I try to speculate for the RN tech tree, it's tricky because some later designs weren't being consistent with the past designs, especially DDs.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-27, 21:39   Link #768
Psyco Diver

They released the lower and mid tiers, looks like Dreadnought is going to be a premium. Bellerophon will be T3, Orion at T4, Iron Duke at T5 and Queen Elizabeth at T6
Old 2017-06-29, 15:25   Link #769
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Was rather surprised to see a Conqueror on the EU live server, not even a couple minutes ago. Unfortunately I didn't live long enough to have a better look at it or its performance.

Old 2017-06-30, 07:23   Link #770
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Unfortunately I didn't live long enough to have a better look at it or its performance.
Wouldn't dying actually result in being better able to see another ship's performance, since you'll then be thrown into free-look mode, allowing you to follow the ship or look at its surroundings anytime? That's what I do when I get sunk in a match early: I stick around and just watch any new ships fighting.

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-30, 11:29   Link #771
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Sad to say, but I've never derived much pleasure from watching others play (I only do so if I'm stumped in a game and want to see the answer/solution), just sitting on the sidelines. I get bored rather quickly and thus try to jump into another match with another ship ASAP.

Anyway, Ranked 7 has started today. Not sure whether I'll participate beyond a few matches; I have a series of not-T6 ships I wish to grind as much as possible, while my premium time still lasts...and I've got a loaded week-end (followed by an equally hectic week) coming up. *growls*

Old 2017-06-30, 12:12   Link #772
Psyco Diver

I usually only play a couple matches of rank every season, between the stupidity and salt.
Old 2017-07-01, 09:59   Link #773
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Was rather surprised to see a Conqueror on the EU live server, not even a couple minutes ago. Unfortunately I didn't live long enough to have a better look at it or its performance.

From the stats I've seen on it (I can see the basics stats using Aslain's mod that accesses non-standard tech tree ships), it looks like a strong T10 BB, but I'm not 100% sure that it's going to be able to LOLPen people's citadels bow-on like the Yamato. Though 457mm divided by 14.3 = 31.95mm, so if it's rounded up and not down calculation-wise, it could possibly be another ship that overmatches frontal bow armor (since all mid-high tier BBs have 25-32mm of bow/stern armor plating). Knowing how WG makes different nations' ships, they'll probably give the RN BBs another type of gimmick to differentiate them from the other nations (maybe Defensive Fire consumable like the Hood?), though what that is we'll have to wait and see.

Still waiting impatiently on the HSF Graf Spee and HSF Harekaze. I'm totally getting those ships when they come out. I've not gone up the IJN torpedo-boat line because of it (I have Akizuki instead), nor have I gotten the Graf Spee. The HSF ships are already available on the SEA servers, so it'll probably be next week they'll come to NA/EU if the usual pattern holds.

And yes, I just bought the Independence Day bundle. Expensive, but I realized I owned literally none of the ships in the bundle and so I said "fuck it" and did it. TBH it's possibly worth it for the Alabama alone. With a 14-pt captain I get CE and have over 100 AA rating. Planes come near me and they nigh-instantly melt. It feasts on the bloody tears of CV captains. And naturally my first game with the Sims I did very well against the enemy DDs... until a single stray hit from a BB secondary detonated me. Fun and engaging, lol. Note to self: use the 100% detonation reduction chance flag on the Sims.

The Enterprise is alright and has a nice plane loadout (in terms of balance), but TBH the squadrons feel underwhelming (though I always manage to kill quite a few enemy squadrons with my fighters, my strike planes take equally devastating losses), even with the Aerial Superiority skill. I feel like I lose planes a lot faster than in my IJN CVs, and thus I much prefer my Kaga, despite the smaller squadron sizes.
Old 2017-07-01, 12:53   Link #774
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Played a couple ranked battles (R19 now and not in a hurry to go further) to finally clear the Leander and get the Fiji. Haven't played that one yet, but if it's anything like its predecessor, then I'm sure I'll have lots of fun in store.

Anyway, speaking of expensiveness and real-life money, I decided to splurge a bit on what'll probably be my last WoWS investment for a very long while (I have no desire to go down the wallet warrior path, and I need to save for a more powerful 802.11n/ac PCIe wireless card). I decided to purchase the Type 20 camo for my brand new Montana (in order to afford it I had to sell my North Carolina and even then my in-game bank account got completely wiped out AGAIN! T_T) and...well, the numbers speak for themselves:

320K gross. 100K net with no premium time, 200K net with premium time. And that's with +20% credits and -10% post-servicing costs flags and a 100% XP first win of the day multiplier. It's practically as good as my Atago and Tirpitz. Kind of eye-opening but also disheartening knowing the bad meta of high-tier gameplay.

Anyway, I won't be doling out any more money, I think I've spent enough in the last few months. I just have to grind now.

EDIT - concerning my above claim about T10+perma-camo and T8 premiums...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-07-03 at 15:40. Reason: Amending my earlier praises...
Old 2017-07-08, 05:36   Link #775
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Apologies for the extra post.

Uh, Summer sales began yesterday with the Saipan, continuing today with the Belfast (50% off!). So far I'm resisting the urge to buy this Brit cruiser (curiously I'm not having as much fun and success with my new HMS Fiji as I used to with the HMS Leander, so I'm a bit worried I'd just be getting more of the same treatment with the HMS Belfast, which additionally trades torps for radar).

Even though I'm unlikely to purchase anything (as stated in my previous post), is there any premium ship you'd recommend?

I already have:
Spoiler:

What I recently got interested in:
Spoiler:

Aside from that, I have no big interest in the Prinz Eugen and CVs are just not for me. I've heard some good things about the Dunkerque and the Warspite, but I'm not sure they'd be as fun as, say, the Atago or Scharnhorst, so I might hold off on them, too.

Really, this summer sales event pops up right after I vowed to save some money for PC hardware and home upgrades. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ ︵┻━┻

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-07-08 at 09:52. Reason: Reworded one part
Old 2017-07-08, 09:31   Link #776
Pen3

Yes, I am also resisting Belfast and have no plans to purchase any more premium ships. 80% of my premiums are either free or from the Secret Santa event. If I do purchase something, then it might be the HSF Harekaze.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-09, 23:00   Link #777
Psyco Diver

Been busy on working another review up, this time for the Tier 4 Battleships

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/to...leship-review/
Old 2017-07-10, 12:57   Link #778
Pen3

Well i bought the Harekaze, but i am out of town and can't play till midnight ; ;
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 13:13   Link #779
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

HSF Harekaze is pretty awesome. With the second hull configuration, you are literally taking the stock hull from the Kagero and attaching the Akizuki's guns to it. You have one less turret available, but it's a fair trade-off for better maneuverability, better concealment, and more torpedoes (weaker Type90 mod. 1 rather than Type93, but twice as many launchers). Main disadvantages versus Akizuki would be the aforementioned 1 less turret, significantly worse main battery range (9.4km vs. 12.5 - both stock with no Adv. Firing Training), and a lot less HP (Harekaze 13,300 vs Akizuki's upgraded 20,400 or Kagero's upgraded 15,100). I would talk about how the AA is far better on the Akizuki than the Harekaze as well, but this is a destroyer and if you're playing an AA role in a DD, you're not doing it right. The AA is more for deterrence than it is for actual plane-killing utility. That being said, I do get some plane kills here and there, but I'm not swatting them like flies as I do in a cruiser, obviously.

The Harekaze does get access to the Torpedo Reload consumable, but you have to give up your smokescreen for it, so I personally do not recommend it considering how Harekaze has less HP than all other DDs at T8, assuming the other comparable DDs are not stock. However, that depends on your preferred play style. More aggressive people will probably opt for the Torpedo Reload, though bear in mind your relatively small HP pool, as you will need to move from cover to cover or pair up with another DD or a friendly RN cruiser to survive. Also, keep in mind that it is not the improved Torpedo Reload that the Akizuki/Shiratsuyu get (5 sec reload), and is instead like the Kagero/Yugumo (30 sec reload), as one would expect. That means I would not use it while you're getting shot at, since if your torpedo tubes get knocked out during the faster reload duration, after they are repaired they will go back on cooldown for the normal time, NOT the accelerated time.

Personally, while I still love my Akizuki to death, I find myself gravitating more towards the Harekaze because of it's versatility. I can play it exactly as I would any torpedo-boat IJN DD, or I can also play it like I do my Akizuki (guns blazing). Or better yet, BOTH. Being able to easily finish off ships that my torpedoes didn't *quite* kill is incredibly valuable, as is generally being able to stand toe-to-toe with other DDs or even cruisers in a gunfight if I absolutely have no other choice (like I said earlier, keep in mind your smaller health pool because battles of HP-attrition will generally end with you getting blown out of the water).

On a separate but related note, I have played a few games with the third hull (the American 127mm guns), but I have found it somewhat underwhelming. While you can save yourself the trouble of having to get IFHE like you do on the second hull (100mm Akizuki guns), with only 3 guns (127mm) vs 6 guns (100mm), there's a huge alpha strike difference which does rear its ugly head in any close-range gunfight. Which, considering the 9.4km base gun range, is pretty much every gunfight. IMO it's worth the time and effort to go to a 14 skill point captain to get both IFHE and CE in order to maximize the use of the 100mm guns and the Harekaze's near-unmatched concealment potential.

TL;DR - Buy it. If you like the Akizuki you will love it and if you like any IJN DDs you will also love it. Hell, if you like American DDs will will probably still love it because it can be played a lot like an American DD with far better torpedoes and concealment, though slightly worse maneuverability.
Old 2017-07-10, 18:14   Link #780
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Apologies for the extra post.

Uh, Summer sales began yesterday with the Saipan, continuing today with the Belfast (50% off!). So far I'm resisting the urge to buy this Brit cruiser (curiously I'm not having as much fun and success with my new HMS Fiji as I used to with the HMS Leander, so I'm a bit worried I'd just be getting more of the same treatment with the HMS Belfast, which additionally trades torps for radar).

Even though I'm unlikely to purchase anything (as stated in my previous post), is there any premium ship you'd recommend?

I already have:
Spoiler:

What I recently got interested in:
Spoiler:

Aside from that, I have no big interest in the Prinz Eugen and CVs are just not for me. I've heard some good things about the Dunkerque and the Warspite, but I'm not sure they'd be as fun as, say, the Atago or Scharnhorst, so I might hold off on them, too.

Really, this summer sales event pops up right after I vowed to save some money for PC hardware and home upgrades. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ ︵┻━┻
I highly recommend the Kutuzov, it's def worth it but then if you aren't using any RU ships then abit less so.
While playing any prem can be fun, a part of the reason to get one is for training captains.
If you are playing the RU ships and need a captain trained, Kutozov is a great ship for the job.
However saying that Kutuzov is just a great ship to play.

Also something else to take note of, is if you need more doubloons then buying any prem you already own will net you the doubloons instead at the discounted price, they are some big savings with these sales right now.

Tags
naval warfare, warships