AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-04, 19:46   Link #1
redwoodtreesprite

Youkai, Spirit, Apparition Type Anime?

Not tentacle stuff, but good spooky anime. And any featuring traditional Japanese apparitions or Youkai. (This does include ones like oni, tengu and kitsunes.) But no softcore anime suggestions at all please. And please no hentai or overtly sexual shows.

I know about Inuyasha of course, and we're caught up on Mushishi raws. We have the live-action Yokai monster series that AdVision released. And we have Spirited Away.

I know there's an anime about a school teacher who investigates Youkai, but I've forgotten the name on that. Info on that series would be appreciated, as it looked good when I was researching Youkai last year. We weren't set up for BT then, so I didn't even bother looking to see if it was available. And now I'd love to get the series.
Old 2006-02-04, 20:57   Link #2
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Youkai you can go for tradional youkai stuff like saiyuki or more detailed stuff like Hundred stories aka Horror Stories .
Old 2006-02-04, 23:27   Link #3
redwoodtreesprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_shinigami
Youkai you can go for tradional youkai stuff like saiyuki or more detailed stuff like Hundred stories aka Horror Stories .
Sounds like Hundred Stories might be based on the books by the great Japanese artists of the Edo period. Like One Hundred Tales by Hokusai, One Hundred Ghosts by Yoshitoshi, Pictorial Record of One Hundred Goblins by Kyôsai, and Illustrated Hundred Tales by Shunsen. I definitely should check it out. (Oops, I read some reviews of it, and there's very strong sexual content, even a rape scene. Sounds like an interesting update of the idea of writing 100 tales, but I don't like any animes that depict women being sexually assaulted.)

Just looked up Saiyuki. Cool. "a renegade priest, a monkey king, a lecherous half-demon, and a sympathetic demon" Looks like it's based on the Monkey God legends. I love watching animes and live action based on that legend.

Last edited by redwoodtreesprite; 2006-02-05 at 00:01.
Old 2006-02-05, 00:56   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Smile Hundred Stories

Hundred this anime also goes by Kyogoku Natsuhiko's Worldly Horror Stories, a.k.a. Kyogoku Natsuhiko Kosetsu Hyaku Monogatari, a.k.a. Requiem from the Darkness
Here are the reveiws for that

http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=373

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2765
Old 2006-02-05, 13:34   Link #5
miaka

Tactics may be perfect for you. The main character here is a folklorist ( someone who study folklore) but at the same time a yokai buster/ tamer. (Sometimes he befriend with yokai and help them) The anime feature a lot of japanese yokai/ oni ...etc.

Speaking of ghost apparition, i remember that there were several epi in ranma 1/2 that had this theme.

Shirahime sho is a Clamp's manga. It is story about snow lady. Speaking about snow lady, it reminds me Hell Teacher Nube. Nube is a elementary teacher with a monster hand that can sense evil spirit. He often protect his dear students from harm with his special ability and there is a snow lady who has a big crush on him.

Last edited by miaka; 2006-02-05 at 13:51.
Old 2006-02-06, 11:46   Link #6
maohayato
Evil God

ghost sweeper mikami
Old 2006-02-06, 14:20   Link #7
redwoodtreesprite

Sounds like Hell Teacher Nube is the show about the school teacher I was looking for! But it's very hard to get, isn't it?
Though I don't think Tactics may be good for me, as I'm uncomfortable with what I just read about the relationship between the folklorist and the tengu.

maohayato - Ghost Sweeper Mikami looks like a good one to get.

Now if I can just get caught up on all the torrents for great shows I found for my little boy...
(Very helpful posters here. I need to do some payback in the form of making some good webpage guides to some of the less-known kids anime in particular. And seed alot too of course...)

Last edited by redwoodtreesprite; 2006-02-06 at 14:32.
Old 2006-02-07, 11:28   Link #8
LynnieS

Is this for you or your family as a group? If for adults, you can try "Ayakashi", but it (at least for the first story, which covers the first four episodes and just finished airing last week) is rather mature, IMHO. Unlicensed.

"Ayatsuri Sakon" is a mystery series with a spooky feel to it. The atmosphere and music are excellent. It should be safe for older kids, but it is a mystery... Unlicensed.

"Kakurenbo" is a short that blends CG and traditional style. Kids who play on a certain night at night disappear and aren't seen again. Not, IMHO, nice for kids. Licensed and available from Central Park Media; look under their "Anime Archive" section.

Thanks, BTW; I meant to pick up "Kakurenbo" but forgot, and with the reset, that thread disappeared as a reminder.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2006-02-07, 12:14   Link #9
miaka

i agree... hell teacher nube is kinda old but the story is good and it is hard to find nowaday. I also watched ghost sweeper mikami. Its more on comedy side.

with regard tactics, i don't see any undescent scene in the entire anime. For me its like master- subordinate - friend relationship. Every epi is just like "conan" solving cases, except on the last part of the series.

some other additional series that you might want to take a look..

yuyuhakushu aka ghost fighter - also has a lot of youkai character. The series is extremely long and has a lot of tournament fight.

shaman king- Ghost here are power spirit that help and protect the shaman in a battle. this has a lot of comedy scene and expect tournament fight also but not as extensive as ghost fighter.

Last edited by miaka; 2006-03-02 at 12:37.
Old 2006-02-07, 20:53   Link #10
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

How could I forget kyo, Check out Samurai Deeper Kyo
Old 2006-02-07, 21:50   Link #11
ultrataro

Yes, check out the current fansub Ayakashi. Its shaping up to be pretty creepy. As much for the story of the evilness of live humans rather than demons & monsters.
Old 2006-02-28, 13:37   Link #12
d3v4st4t10n
DeVaStAte

Send a message via AIM to d3v4st4t10n
A LOT of anime has Youkai and etc.

yu yu hakusho, saiyuki, shaman king, chrno crusade and so much more!
Old 2006-02-28, 14:16   Link #13
redwoodtreesprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
i agree... hell teacher nube is kinda old but the story is good and it is hard to find nowaday. I also watched ghost sweeper mikami. Its more on comedy side.
I was happy to find that a nice, seemingly complete dvd set has recently been released in Japan for hell teacher nube. It's about $250.00, so we need to save our spending money (what little there is) for a while. But my husband is planning to set up a computer with the dvd drive set for the correct region to play Japanese dvds. So next years income tax at the latest, we will definitely buy that set.

Also Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro looks great! Again, an older series, but one that is still being sold on dvd in Japan. (I wish there was a proper fansub of the series, rather than grainly old recordings from Hawaiian TV. I didn't realize what it would be when I downloaded it.) I'd love to find the live-action version show for it, as the screenshots look really funny. Also live action and a must see will be The Great Yokai War, when it's released. Awesomely cool-looking movie that!

Ayakashi is a marvelous series! I've been watching the raws for the second story, and it has several types of youkai in it. I think one type is a yasha (don't look that up if you don't want to know), but that youkai is very difficult to research due to Inuyasha.

Yu yu hakusho is also a good series, and while it's better than DBZ in the amount of posing battles, it seems to get bogged down with little storyline and too many "Oh no, he can do that?" battle moves and endless tournements. Still, Kurama alone is a good reason to watch the show.

I just remembered seeing youkai in some old movies about a little unicorn called Unico. I need to do some digging to see if I can find those. They would certainly be OK for my son to see too.

And I'll do more research on the other shows mentioned.
Old 2006-03-29, 16:56   Link #14
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Other titles you could check would be:

Phatom Quest Corp. (Yuugen Kaisha) -Not sure but many claim that this show was inspiration for Ghost Sweeper Mikami, while others point out that it copied from the latter.

Jigoku Shoujo. Ippen shinde miru?

Bleach.
Closed Thread