AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2011-09-27, 00:12   Link #41
james0246

In other news, 2ch has ranked Kishimoto as one of the best mangaka artists currently working. Judging based solely on artistic merit (considering issues of "design ability, perspective correctness, consistency, anatomical correctness, shading, etc), Kishimoto joins the ranks of such mangaka as Sadamoto Yoshiyuki (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Yasuhiko Yoshikazu (Mobile Suit Gundam), Hanaharu Naruko (Kamichu!), Igarashi Daisuke (Children of the Sea), and Inoue Takehiko (Vagabond) amongst the "S-Rank" mangaka. Comparatively, Obata was considered A-Rank, Oda was B-Rank, and Kubo was D-Rank.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 00:20   Link #42
HasuMasu
*Artist

Why hello thar Kubo.
Old 2011-09-27, 00:28   Link #43
Lendial

if bleach has one thing going for it, its the art. but aparently not. oh well
Old 2011-09-27, 05:12   Link #44
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
In other news, 2ch has ranked Kishimoto as one of the best mangaka artists currently working. Judging based solely on artistic merit (considering issues of "design ability, perspective correctness, consistency, anatomical correctness, shading, etc), Kishimoto joins the ranks of such mangaka as Sadamoto Yoshiyuki (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Yasuhiko Yoshikazu (Mobile Suit Gundam), Hanaharu Naruko (Kamichu!), Igarashi Daisuke (Children of the Sea), and Inoue Takehiko (Vagabond) amongst the "S-Rank" mangaka.
That's interesting, considering there are a few people that work on the Naruto anime that are better than Kishimoto at drawing his own characters.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 09:09   Link #45
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendial View Post
if bleach has one thing going for it, its the art. but aparently not. oh well
Kubo has great design ability (especially for clothing), but he has no sense of movement and little to no ability to adequately draw backgrounds or other non-character art. Still, I agree the 2ch crowd ranked him lowering than I would (they also ranked Oda higher than he should be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
That's interesting, considering there are a few people that work on the Naruto anime that are better than Kishimoto at drawing his own characters.
Page for page and panel for panel, I think Naruto is one of the best visual manga in the market. It is not the most stylish, nor is the best drawn, but the emphasis on perspective, angle, etc has always given Kishimoto a very cinematic quality that greatly elevates his art. Sadly, none of this matters if the story isn't that good...
Old 2011-09-27, 21:25   Link #46
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Kubo has great design ability (especially for clothing), but he has no sense of movement and little to no ability to adequately draw backgrounds or other non-character art. Still, I agree the 2ch crowd ranked him lowering than I would (they also ranked Oda higher than he should be).
No ability to draw backgrounds? Really? I've always thought Naruto has had some pretty inspired settings, especially the steampunk design of the Rain village. There's also lots of detail in rubble and collateral damage caused in battles. I guess the backgrounds do get really sparse when they're set in an area like a desert or the characters fighting on water.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 21:30   Link #47
james0246

^I said Kubo sucked at backgrounds not Kishimoto (who has downright great backgrounds designs and perspectives).
Old 2011-09-28, 00:03   Link #48
Lendial

kubo likes to use a lot of empty space, perhaps wastefully (aizens gigantic index finger taking half a page for example). however, in terms of pretty looking characters i would have to say he trumphs even kishimoto. take for example the water gun kage who honestly cartoony vs what bleach has for villains at the moment.
Old 2011-09-28, 07:44   Link #49
james0246

The Chapter 557 Discussion Thread has been opened. Please move all relevant discussions to the new thread.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion