Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-02, 01:18   Link #21
Forgetful_Duck
Dame Ningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
3rd Cardcaptor Sakura.

Also to add Bamboo Blade - It's about kendo and I think it's exciting, funny, and cute but if you have any doubt, check it first.

<--- My avatar right now is from the series.
Its amazing how the seiyuu (voice) for Kirino in bamboo blade is the same one for Black lagoon's Revy... sweet and kiddy to merciless killer.

I recommend, DORAEMON! Classic, especially the movies.

Oh and my sister whos 5, Loves mecha..... Full metal panic... the fight scenes.
Old 2008-03-02, 06:17   Link #22
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Cardcaptor Sakura(if she likes magical powers and stuff) or Shugo Chara(if she doesn't)
Old 2008-03-02, 11:36   Link #23
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I think ideally you want younger characters that she can empathize with and get emotionally attached to. Also, I think the most important factor in whether or not you succeed is you can bond with her while you watch it. Basically, what you watch isn't as important as how you work on your sibling-ship with her.

I'll add my voice to the many suggesting Cardcaptor Sakura--like Kholdstare said, your mileage may very depending on how open minded your family is. It really is probably one of the best shows out there, a friend of mine watched it when she was younger and it opened her up to anime as a whole. I really can't praise it enough.

Furthermore, I'll also second Angelic Layer. Like another poster said Miyazaki's works are great introductions because they are effective and powerful, and movies so short. In particular, I'd suggest Spirited Away since the main character is a young girl and the most recent animation is amazing.

I'd also suggest Princess Tutu. While the first six episodes are mediocre, after that the first season has a very strong ending, and the second season is nothing short of amazing. It is one of the few shows that gets better as it goes along. It has alot of neat elements, random animal characters, a main character with a secret identity and weakness, characters that develop and change as the show goes on. Finally, much of the background music is classical ballet music and it plays upon varies themes. Very cool if she has any interest in those things.

Finally I'll add Pita Ten. The character are younger, and it is funny. The main character is a guy, but basically the story is about an apprentice angel and a novice demon fighting to become real ones, and he's caught in the middle. The catch is she's a devilish angel who causes all kinds of minor troubles for him, while the demon is angelic in nature and fails pretty badly at doing anything wrong. The entire show comes off as a riot.
Old 2008-03-02, 12:20   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You know, I totally forgot about the subtitles issue. I don't know about your sister, but most kids at her age can't handle subs because their reading skills just aren't developed enough yet to read and watch at the same time. So I guess I'd suggest sticking with shows you can get dubbed like the Miyazaki movies or Angelic Layer.

My other suggestion, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, was recently licensed by Media Blasters so you might be able to get a dubbed version sometime in the next year or two.
Old 2008-03-02, 16:17   Link #25
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Princess Tutu, by far and away. You can get the complete collection for like 30 bucks, and out of my library of anime, it's the one young girls are the most fond of. A good deal of young girls fancy have a passing interest in ballet, and so Tutu fits the bill quite nicely.

Kaleido Star is another one that the kids loved, and really, just take any of Clamp's light hearted works and you'd be set as well. Just don't show them X, else they'd be scarred for life. Particularly, Rayearth, Angelic Layer, and Tsubasa are worth mentioning. I won't recommend Cardcaptor Sakura though, as the dubs are horrible and subs aren't exactly the most intereting thing for young people. And even then, CCS is EXPENSIVE as hell.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-03-02, 16:23   Link #26
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Are you sure? I just did an Ebay search and got buy-it-now offers for $40-50 (S&H included), English subtitled. Not bad for 70 episodes, although I'm not sure about bootleg and such on Ebay.
Old 2008-03-02, 16:44   Link #27
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

The recent article seen here...

http://thepinksylphide.com/2008/01/1...dcaptor-sakura

is pretty informative. So yeah, anything less than 100 bucks for half the series, my warning bells go off. And if it's region free, I avoid it like the plague. Of particular note, look at the two bootleg pages, as they cover the two boxset bootlegs commonly found in ebay.

Old 2008-03-02, 17:13   Link #28
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
The recent article seen here...

http://thepinksylphide.com/2008/01/1...dcaptor-sakura

is pretty informative. So yeah, anything less than 100 bucks for half the series, my warning bells go off. And if it's region free, I avoid it like the plague. Of particular note, look at the two bootleg pages, as they cover the two boxset bootlegs commonly found in ebay.
Hm, good article. It does mention that the author bought some series from the official Taiwanese release, and on Ebay some of them were "official releases" from Malaysia. Hm, I wonder. If they're completely official, I'm still not sure if the subtitles are that great.
Old 2008-03-02, 20:54   Link #29
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

The releases from Malayasia isn't exactly 'official'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by site
Being from Malaysia, this item comes with a sticker on the bottom with the following information:
Tajuk: Cardcaptor; Pengedar (Distributor): Rungreang Entertainment. Then, there’s the line “Pengerusi Lembaga Penapisan Filem Malaysia” (Malaysian Film Censorship Board), etc. This is used in eBay auctions to show the authenticity of this set, even though it’s either a Malaysian AnimeCartoon bootleg release, or a Malaysian bootlegger’s bootlegging of a bootleg.
As for the subs, the review said that the malay bootlegs are more casual, and some of the lines ran into gramattical errors. If I had a choice between the malay and the pioneer bootlegs, I'd take the latter for their rips of the official subs.

Old 2008-03-03, 11:04   Link #30
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Fullmetal Alchemist. My sister watched it at...8, got her into anime. Of course, you have to bear in mind my sister is not very "girly" (She laughed at 300 killing scenes ), so tastes can differ.
Old 2008-03-03, 11:32   Link #31
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
look no further. POKEMON!!!

ok joke aside, i think sherlock hound would be a good anime serie.
if you want to initiate him throu a movie : My neighbour totoro is your obvious choice.
Old 2008-03-03, 13:22   Link #32
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You know, I totally forgot about the subtitles issue. I don't know about your sister, but most kids at her age can't handle subs because their reading skills just aren't developed enough yet to read and watch at the same time. So I guess I'd suggest sticking with shows you can get dubbed like the Miyazaki movies or Angelic Layer.
Ehe.... I'll just read them to her. :P

Ehe heyy thanks everyone... hmm I think I'll start with Full Moon wo Sagashite since it looks like I might enjoy that too. I'll definately watch Cardcapture Sakura with her too, cos I remember I watched afew episodes when I was a kid.... I didn't really follow it but for some reason I loved it.
Old 2008-03-03, 15:33   Link #33
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post

Ehe heyy thanks everyone... hmm I think I'll start with Full Moon wo Sagashite since it looks like I might enjoy that too. I'll definately watch Cardcapture Sakura with her too, cos I remember I watched afew episodes when I was a kid.... I didn't really follow it but for some reason I loved it.
I'm not really blatantly advertising, but you should definitely read my Cardcaptor Sakura review (see sig) because like I said previously, its uncensored, subtitled version is somewhat controversial. I love it, but I'm not sure if you want a 7 year old to watch it.
Old 2008-03-03, 16:33   Link #34
Kuroba
Doramachikku

Carcaptor Sakura, Princess Tutu, and Kaleido Star are all excellent choices.
Old 2008-03-03, 16:57   Link #35
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Like Kholdstare, I personally won't let kids get anywhere near CCS, as even though it's about middle school kids, the themes are as adult as it can be. I mean, going by relationships alone, you got shounen-ai, shoujo-ai, cousin-cest, and pedophilia IIRC, implied or otherwise.

So I'd go with the much tamer Tsubasa Chronicles, though I don't know if that will be as big a hit as it's more focused on Syaoran rather than Sakura. Or Magic Knight Rayearth, if the kid has any inclination towards Sailor Moon or what not. Definitely not CCS though, since while it won't be as life-scarring as X, it contains a lot of things you'd never see in prime time or saturday morning TV.

Old 2008-03-03, 19:26   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Good luck with that.... I'm guessing that's going to get really old really fast, especially if you watch any dialog-heavy shows. Why not start with something dubbed and work your way up from there?
Old 2008-03-03, 22:16   Link #37
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Quote:
So I'd go with the much tamer Tsubasa Chronicles, though I don't know if that will be as big a hit as it's more focused on Syaoran rather than Sakura.
It is true, Tsubasa's first and second seasons are very tame since they are done by Bee Train and the studio played to its strengths. However, and I cannot say this strongly enough, avoid the OVAs at all costs. There's no question or room for speculation, you must avoid them.

Spoiler for Tsubasa OVA:
Old 2008-03-03, 22:45   Link #38
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not really blatantly advertising, but you should definitely read my Cardcaptor Sakura review (see sig) because like I said previously, its uncensored, subtitled version is somewhat controversial. I love it, but I'm not sure if you want a 7 year old to watch it.
Are there any real problem though? I mean... I watched it around that age and loved it. Although I gotta say that I don't remember a lot of stuff from that series anymore.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-03, 23:08   Link #39
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Are there any real problem though? I mean... I watched it around that age and loved it. Although I gotta say that I don't remember a lot of stuff from that series anymore.
You didn't watch its uncensored subtitled version, though, did you?
It was probably Cartoon Network playing its dub in which it was retitled "Cardcaptors".
Old 2008-03-04, 03:59   Link #40
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
Definitely not CCS though, since while it won't be as life-scarring as X, it contains a lot of things you'd never see in prime time or saturday morning TV.
Lol, it depends on where you live.

Mine airs at 10am [Even though that was ages ago, those memories remained as clear as yesterday.]

10am-11am is the slot for Pokemon and Cardaptor Sakura, I never once failed to wake up early in the Saturday morning during that period of time.

Tags
anime for children, children