AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-05, 08:28   Link #61
Dop
Mmmm....

What the hell? That has to be the most hyperactive episode I've watched for some time. Like the animators had been dosed with speed and testosterone...

And that ED. It's like they spliced it in from a completely different series. I thought it had to be a prank RAW.

I'll give it a few more episodes.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 09:42   Link #62
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Keep your manly hands off the yuri queen. XD

Old 2009-07-05, 10:22   Link #63
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
freakin great?! tengen toppa 2??

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
gigaloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 10:23   Link #64
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaloki View Post
tengen toppa 2??
No. The two shows are nothing alike.
Old 2009-07-05, 10:37   Link #65
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I NEED MORE!!!
Old 2009-07-05, 10:37   Link #66
ipernorris

Can someone tell me if the kiddo will stay spineless and useless or will things change?
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 10:39   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the linchpin of whether the show succeeds on a large scale is going to be Cruz. If he becomes a punching bag for the fans as a sort of whiny counterpoint to the other strong characters, there's only so far the show can go. If he has a real character arc an becomes someone who can stand up for himself, things could get really good. It's worth noting (and I'm not suggesting a ripoff, merely a valid comparison) that it was Simon that had to carry TTGL for 27 eps, not Kamina. If he hadn't been the great character he was the show would never have advanced past "pretty good". I'm not saying Cruz has to go all super-saiyan next week, but let's hope we see some real development.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 10:52   Link #68
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the linchpin of whether the show succeeds on a large scale is going to be Cruz. If he becomes a punching bag for the fans as a sort of whiny counterpoint to the other strong characters, there's only so far the show can go. If he has a real character arc an becomes someone who can stand up for himself, things could get really good. It's worth noting (and I'm not suggesting a ripoff, merely a valid comparison) that it was Simon that had to carry TTGL for 27 eps, not Kamina. If he hadn't been the great character he was the show would never have advanced past "pretty good". I'm not saying Cruz has to go all super-saiyan next week, but let's hope we see some real development.
Simon was the very real example I had in mind. I mean his development was interesting and it gave much to the show: it would have been pointless if Simon would have remained the same spineless guy for all of the series. I have your same hope: Cruz must become strong! Otherwise what's the point of putting him as the first character in the OP?
Anyway can some manga reader tell me if Cruz will become strong or not, even with PM? Thanks!
Old 2009-07-05, 10:54   Link #69
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
But a lot of people here don't know that, plus i had no idea if you knew that so just calling it a rip-off is going to lead people the wrong way in terms of judging your original post.
Well, people should use their brains more then and not propagate the assumptions of anyone else without thinking first what they say; because the bottom-line is that we (at least I) are not willing to write down all the arguments and our reasoning about what we post. Don't take this also as "judgy" and consider that I am replying to a hypothetical situation that you suggested

Quote:
So you called it a rip-off in terms of animation? What that makes no sense at all.
To you probably not, but the animation style in several instances reminded me (and several others) of TTGL.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 11:23   Link #70
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
. I have your same hope: Cruz must become strong! Otherwise what's the point of putting him as the first character in the OP?
Dear god, i hope not! (Unless you are referring to his character and behavior, not physical prowess, in which case i wholeheartedly agree). I, for once, want to see the "casual guy" remain just that, instead of having superpowers being pulled from somewhere the sun doesn't shine, just so that he could rival the other superhumans in the show. Him being a main character doesn't mean he has to kick behind along with the rest of them just him being a central character to the events. (Though given the tropes of shounen genre, that is unlikely to happen and he will likely get some power).

Anyways, i must say i enjoyed the episode a lot - it was definitely an incarnation of over-the-top action on steroids and GARnes, and i liked everything about it. Typical as the Big Bad corporation and the overall plot (Reminds me a lot of Scryed) might be, it doesn't hurt for what the series sets out to accomplish - which is a lot of explosive action and crazy facial expressions (which were well appreciated). I might not be a big fan of Guren-like animation, but i have to say it works for the style of presentation and general feel of the series. The comedy i found pretty good as well, and with the overall "fun" feel of the series, this seems like a keeper to me - very enjoyable and entertaining, i am hopinh it stays on the same level.
Old 2009-07-05, 11:24   Link #71
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I've seen wimps more annoying than Cruz so frankly his bit of weakness shown so far isn't that much. Not to mention that he also has an excuse to go running off due to Eve's constant teasing of him (perhaps not on purpose since she is slightly baka). I think we need the second episode to properly judge Cruz's character but for now, he is okay.

Also I think it is enough comparisons to GL already. We all know that it is "slightly" similar but otherwise completely different and there is no more need to hammer that point any further.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 11:51   Link #72
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Dear god, i hope not! (Unless you are referring to his character and behavior, not physical prowess, in which case i wholeheartedly agree). I, for once, want to see the "casual guy" remain just that, instead of having superpowers being pulled from somewhere the sun doesn't shine, just so that he could rival the other superhumans in the show. Him being a main character doesn't mean he has to kick behind along with the rest of them just him being a central character to the events. (Though given the tropes of shounen genre, that is unlikely to happen and he will likely get some power).
Well this anime is marked as seinen on animedb, so perhaps Cruz will improve in his characters features and in his awareness of the world around him and what is needed to be done to change thing. It would have been different if this was a super power only type show, but this isn't the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Also I think it is enough comparisons to GL already. We all know that it is "slightly" similar but otherwise completely different and there is no more need to hammer that point any further.
I don't see all these differences between the two shows...
Old 2009-07-05, 11:58   Link #73
donoghu

Just posting my opinion.

I really like this kind of anime.
A mix between overpowerfull character, useless meat bags, humor made of stupidity, etc.

Of course, I have to turn off my brain a little so I don't try to understand too much and think too much about it, but it does feel special to watch.

I'll make some free space on my harddrive only for this show!

-EDIT-
Ha... And I think the ending is quite... "strange" for this type of anime... LOL!

Last edited by donoghu; 2009-07-05 at 12:28.
donoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 13:30   Link #74
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
I don't see all these differences between the two shows...
Let me point out a fundamental difference; the lack of beastmen on mecha
And what are the similarities besides both series having 1) Badass GAR characters 2) fanservice and 3) whacky comedy. Those are pretty generic and broad series traits to me.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 13:33   Link #75
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Well, this series reminds me of Gurren Lagaan, which isnt a bad thing. But I dont think any direct comparisons can be drawn, it is very different as far as content of the story, though the atmosphere is similar.

Interesting first episode, at first when I saw the heroine being hit, I was all "wtf". Then as the episode progressed, I realized that she deserved it.

Seems this is another show where the main character starts out as useless(like gurren lagaan was), I guess itll change evenually.

As of the first episode, it seems like this will go on for longer than 13 episodes if this is popular in Japan.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 14:00   Link #76
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
To you probably not, but the animation style in several instances reminded me (and several others) of TTGL.
No i know the animation is similar in certain scenes, though you're going to far calling it a rip-off.
Old 2009-07-05, 14:03   Link #77
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
No i know the animation is similar in certain scenes, though you're going to far calling it a rip-off.
OK, I guess we can finally agree
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 14:14   Link #78
typhonsentra

The show's definitely going for the same "Self-Aware Over The Top Action While Screaming English Attack Names" angle which GL had. I don't think it pulls it off as well as that show, or Basara for that matter but fans of the style will like this I'm sure.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 14:15   Link #79
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post

As of the first episode, it seems like this will go on for longer than 13 episodes if this is popular in Japan.
Probably with this first episode and sooner later on this might have it's sub forum probably, since it's pretty awesome, it needs more exposure.

I still see no signs of the powerpuff yuri's though...
Old 2009-07-05, 14:22   Link #80
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Probably with this first episode and sooner later on this might have it's sub forum probably, since it's pretty awesome, it needs more exposure.

I still see no signs of the powerpuff yuri's though...
I am also interested in what the point of the Yuri girls will be. The ending was...um, interesting to say the least.

As for pure speculation, methinks the redhead will have a good bit of interaction with the main character. But thats a wild guess.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, loli, seinen