Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-10-17, 21:32   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Betting on the next anime trend

As the title says, what is your guess about what is going to be hot in foreseeable future with anime (and the animation industry in a whole)? Including art style, setting, characters, stories, technology, etc?

My choice is 3D face sculptured for stop motion, a technology that as far as I know is quite popular in the West. Each character would have a set of faces which could be quickly swapped in and out, each sporting a unique expression, depending the emotion of the scene and the specific syllables being spoken. It dramatically cut down on the work needed to shoot a scene, though each face and emotion still needed to be made by hand.

Here is a short video from Youtube:
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-18, 09:59   Link #2
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Isekai, anime series based on short episodes (5 minutes or less), and full-CGI animation.
Stop motion is very expensive because of the material involved; compare plastic used by 3D printers to paper, coloring materials, a computer and old-fashioned elbow grease.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-19, 08:34   Link #3
PhoenixRising

I honestly hope that they don't make shorter episodes. There's nothing wrong with them since I watched Ryusei no Rockman and Beyblade; when they got cut down to 15 min shows, but I just don't like them because the plot seemed to suffer a bit from it.

Though on the other hand, there seems to be a rise in alternative historical anime, and with ufotable shows becoming more popular, maybe other anime studios will amp up their quality to cinema level too.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-19, 10:20   Link #4
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Isekai, anime series based on short episodes (5 minutes or less), and full-CGI animation.
Stop motion is very expensive because of the material involved; compare plastic used by 3D printers to paper, coloring materials, a computer and old-fashioned elbow grease.
Not just expensive but more time consuming too. For example, the angle of the camera, the lighting.....etc. Things that needed to take care in a live-action movie (minus the sound).

Those things are not much an issue with hand-drawn (the lighting is taken care by colors) Angles of camera is done using the animator's mind and drawing it out. The downside to traditional animation is: need to waste lots of paper and redrawing the same scene over and over again if you want a fluid action in action-pack series.

The good news is: Paper is cheap.

If anything Computer animation is more likely to catch on than stop-motion because it is cheaper and you don't have to redraw every scene like traditional animation.....(actually technically the same scene is redrawn over and over again but the computer does it for you rather than you have to do it manually).

You can already see some studios are adapting it (I assume that they probably experimenting to see what they can do with it before jumping fully on-board).

edit: I think I got the time consuming part... they might take the same time but still, adjusting the camera angles and lighting in action pack scene take more time than just drawing it out.
Old 2016-10-19, 12:01   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
How much money can I make on these bets? Enough to buy all waifu figmas I want?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote