AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-05, 13:11   Link #161
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Beyond the very bland presention, the first episode of Strike the Blood was terribly convoluted in my books.

While I don't have any major gripe with the characters, the setup of the series is just a complete clusterfuck with an awkward dose of tropes packed in it.
I must admit the "demon district" setup and all had a major toaru vibe, with some potential considering the large bestiary implied during the monologue, but past that the presentation was awkward, especially with a very subpar execution of the battle sequences.

At the very least, we were spared from "main heroine lashing on the protagonist" trope, but that aside the chemistry wasn't really set well.
Old 2013-10-05, 14:04   Link #162
Frontier

A decent and entertaining premier. I enjoyed it enough to where I'll tune in for the next few episodes to see where it goes.

I honestly didn't think the animation was that lackluster . I thought the action scene with Yukina was animated very well at least, and flowed nicely.

When it came to comparing this to past works, I actually compared it more to the author's past work, Asura Cryin', than Index. On the positive side, unlike Asura Cryin's first episode, I didn't feel as bombarded by unexplained mythologies and terminology. There are still some things I don't quite understand, such as what a Progenitor really is and why they're regarded as threats, who Kojou's friends are, and what a D-Class is, but I'm sure they'll get to that eventually.

I very much find the idea of putting all the classic mythologies of the world on one island to both keep them from going extinct and to keep them in check to be intriguing.

I like Kojou. He seems like a decent protagonist, being a nice enough guy but with a bit of snark in him that keeps him from being bland, and I'm very interested in seeing exactly what his powers entail. I also got a good chuckle at him shoving common sense towards Yukina. You don't just beat up guys because they saw your panties .

Yukina strikes me as a nice girl. After the initial hostility, she seemed to really warm up to Kojou, almost to a cute degree, and I'm interested to see how this relationship will develop. After all, It's not often you get a female lead that's younger than the male lead, let alone calling them Senpai. I wonder how much that might effect their relationship?

It was weird hearing Risa Taneda as a more perky and upbeat character, especially since I'm so used to her voice as Saki in From the New World and Xenovia from High School DxD New.

So, all in all, a good start in my opinion.

Last edited by Frontier; 2013-10-05 at 16:53.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 14:07   Link #163
Marina2

Strike the Blood feels like a show that prefer to take it time to build up the world and characters more than trying to open with a bang.

So far, I like its characters. Kojou and Yukina are nice pair of MC. They are somewhat on equal ground in the plot. I like it when a male lead doesn't look like a weak guy that need female lead to protect him to teach him. Let's say that the show's characters are enough to interest me.

The world setting has an potential to turn out to something interesting too so, I will keep watching for now.

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-10-05 at 14:28.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 16:22   Link #164
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
The prophecy....

Its happening!
Hey we need something to tides us over until the epic NT.9 and Index season 3 release.
Old 2013-10-05, 16:50   Link #165
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
Hey we need something to tides us over until the epic NT.9 and Index season 3 release.
I'm an Index fan myself, but I don't see how you find this similar. Sure the scientifically supernatural city may be a dead ringer, but that's really it and even then just barely since the supernatural itself isn't exactly scientific like espers.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 17:06   Link #166
ginger02

I'm really liking the main characters so far.

Some mystery and intrigue, and I find it funny and loved the music and art, so the top of my list so far.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 17:11   Link #167
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I must admit the "demon district" setup and all had a major toaru vibe,
I also feel the temptation to liken any "city of supernatural phenomenons" to Toaru, but I think the setup is closer to Black Blood Brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
There are still some things I don't quite understand, such as what a Progenitor really is and why they're regarded as threats,
Aren't they usually vampires who weren't turned via vampire bite and are much more powerful than the usual vampires?

Quote:
what a D-Class is,
Dhampire? Daywalker? Any vampire at all?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 17:21   Link #168
Tenzen12

D as in Dracula maybe. All vampire stories these days originate from Vlad afrerall.

And yes, it does gives lot of index vibes. We have Touma 2.0, similiar settings, pacing and even mood. Replace Youkai with Espers and there is no difference.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 17:39   Link #169
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
D as in Dracula maybe. All vampire stories these days originate from Vlad afrerall.

And yes, it does gives lot of index vibes. We have Touma 2.0, similiar settings, pacing and even mood. Replace Youkai with Espers and there is no difference.
Lol, yeah all he need to do was say Fukou da... wait a minute that was used by the main character in Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita, wannabes, wannabes everywhere.

On a serious note it seems like it's going to be good, I'll watch it as long as the vampires don't glitter i'm ok with this.
Old 2013-10-05, 17:45   Link #170
Tenzen12

Oh It wasn't him? Somehow they coincide to me. But he had some similiar line anyway didn't he? "Give me break" was it then?

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-10-05 at 18:01.
Old 2013-10-05, 18:24   Link #171
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
There are still some things I don't quite understand, such as what a Progenitor really is and why they're regarded as threats,
The term "progenitor" is used for the word for "true ancestor". Type-Moon fans are definitely familiar with the term "true ancestor".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 18:30   Link #172
Tenzen12

But progenitor and True ancestor is has it's obvious differences (Koujou was human originaly), I guess he is closer to Death apostles in this case.

I
Old 2013-10-05, 19:48   Link #173
blackwhite67
Banned

Progenitors are, in line with the definition of the term, the original vampires. Typical vampires can't even compare to them in strength.
Old 2013-10-05, 20:12   Link #174
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

that was surprisingly interesting, I never got bored watching the first ep, and that's a first this season.

as for the main heroine, at least they didn't leave her hanging out of the guy's apartment balcony.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 20:15   Link #175
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

This looks okay so far. I like vampire stories and I like both mcs so far. Also shows some promise.
Old 2013-10-05, 20:31   Link #176
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i was expecting less zombie kore wa desu ka and more ga rei zero. oh well, we'll see how it runs its course. Dusk maiden seemed like a comedy and turned completely around as well.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 21:15   Link #177
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A great start but Kojou seem like a perv a nose bleed just for smelling a girls wallet
Old 2013-10-05, 22:16   Link #178
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
A great start but Kojou seem like a perv a nose bleed just for smelling a girls wallet
As I said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post

Don't underestimate the power of a woman's scent! It permeates all of a woman's belongings.
Old 2013-10-05, 23:00   Link #179
Miraluka
Banned

^Don't you mean pheromones?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 02:38   Link #180
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
But progenitor and True ancestor is has it's obvious differences (Koujou was human originaly), I guess he is closer to Death apostles in this case.

I
But Negima's Evangeline's also called a True Ancestor because she was turned by a spell instead of another vampire.

Though his case seem yet again different.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supernatural, vampires