AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 25 30.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 47.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-24, 06:54   Link #81
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
She did feel thankful for it. She did express thanks to him.
Expressing thanks, yes, but feeling thankful? I didn't get that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
And she even bought 20 copies of Hyuoka at a discount (150 yen each). Irisu-san is
In the subbed version I viewed, she didn't actually buy them, but offered to sell them at a discount. I'm sure she's not willing to pay for any that don't sell.
Old 2012-07-24, 07:39   Link #82
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
For those who love those cute, blushing pumpkin girls:

Spoiler for Pumpkins:
These pumpkin girls are adorable as hell.

In any case this episode was pure fun. I was laughing my ass out when Sawakiguchi was cooking. She really is a psycho!

Also Eru somewhat tips off the empress. It was hilariously amusing to see her being shocked/startled/confused.
Old 2012-07-24, 07:50   Link #83
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Especially during the part when Chitanda was trying to give her that makeshift hi five of sorts when she wanted a copy. xD

I also kind of expected a more exciting reaction from the three since they won, but they were only worried about the ladle lol.
Old 2012-07-24, 08:45   Link #84
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
~~ And she even bought 20 copies of Hyuoka at a discount (150 yen each). Irisu-san is
She suggested to Eru that she would help her sell them at 150yen each, 200yen when bundled with her Movie Club pamplet.

Cheers.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:20   Link #85
Forsaken_Infinity

They managed to make fucking picking a not-yet-ready dish out with chopsticks climatic. Awesome.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:44   Link #86
supermegasonic

excuse me...

damn, this episode made me hungry, i know that whole item switching thing oreki had goin on was gonna help. helping ppl without having to do much, an awesome job. lol
Old 2012-07-24, 12:55   Link #87
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
These pumpkin girls are adorable as hell.

In any case this episode was pure fun. I was laughing my ass out when Sawakiguchi was cooking. She really is a psycho!

Also Eru somewhat tips off the empress. It was hilariously amusing to see her being shocked/startled/confused.
The vocies sounded familiar, who where the seiyuus?

This show never fails to disappoint. This arc was fun.
Old 2012-07-24, 13:18   Link #88
sikvod00

The pumpkin girl with the longer robe is voiced by Kanae Itou; I have no clue who the other is. Also, I believe you see them without the costume in a quick scene right before they start the cooking competition.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-07-24 at 13:31.
Old 2012-07-24, 13:22   Link #89
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The other pumpkin girl is voiced by Nozomi Masu.
Old 2012-07-24, 13:39   Link #90
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

So any theories on what might lead to this scene from the Ep15-preview?

Hehe.
Old 2012-07-24, 13:46   Link #91
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Hehe.
looks like chitanda gona use a combination from her hypnotic eyes plus new learned "how to ask" powers on the guy from newspapper club(poor guy being the first victim of the new born Evil incarnation" be scared ppls lol) to force him to put a note on the festival newspapper of the classic club, and i dont know who is the pose guy in the end(looks like houtaro).
Old 2012-07-24, 14:00   Link #92
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Hehe.
Someone with the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception hangs around the school?
Old 2012-07-24, 14:29   Link #93
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Someone with the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception hangs around the school?
i knew it had to be something cool, lol
Old 2012-07-24, 18:00   Link #94
joeboygo
mechaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejavachip View Post
Another great episode.
In the part where Irisu whispers to Chitanda, does she really mention the opposite sex? Because in the Commie version of the subs, she doesn't mention that... at least I don't think so.
Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart - the perils of translation.

First of all, nothing I say here should in any way be construed as criticism of the subbers' work. In fact, this is more of an homage than anything else. Non-students don't fully appreciate that subbing is not a mechanical process. There is usually no single correct answer. Subbers are routinely forced to exercise judgment and make difficult choices. I'm doing this to give lay people a peek into the hard labor that goes into each .ass or .srt that we get so quickly and at no cost each week.

Here is what I heard Irisu say:

出来れば人目につかないところで一斉に頼むんだ. ("Dekireba, hito menitsukenai tokoro de, isse ni tanomu n'da.")

Literally, "if you are capable, in an inconspicuous place, ask everything." This means jacksquat and does no good.

As usual in this business, context is everything. I've compared the mazui and commie version, and both strive valiantly to preserve as much original meaning as possible within the tight space, timing and pacing contraints of a subtitle. Commie's solution is elegant and linguistically more accurate, but if I were to pick just one I would go with Mazui in this one instance for the following reasons:

1. My own understanding of what Irisu meant was, "as much as possible, perform the measures (that I just desribed to you) in one fell swoop at an intimate setting where you are alone with the other person." But this is too clunky to fit in the sub, and it doesn't correspond to what the character is saying onscreen. Difficult compromises are necessary between an accurate translation and the need to make it work as a subtitle.

2. While it is true that "opposite sex" is not literally spoken in Irisu's whispered pointer to Eru, it is evident from the totality of the situation that Irisu cannot be describing anything other than the insidious feminine craft of steering unwilling men to unwittingly do their bidding. Consider:
  • The writer provided verbal cues to support this understanding. For example, the script uses the verb "shimukeru" (仕向ける). It can be translated to mean "to encourage" or "to induce" but this particular verb has a specialized usage that has no English equivalent: it means "to handle (men)" and is specifically used to describe the handling of men by women. It is appropriate to describe women dealing with men or little children but very very rarely used between women.
  • Additionaly, Kyo-ani's animators added visual cues to support this understanding. In the close-up shot of their legs, Eru is shown wearing schoolgirl socks and presumably, girly pantsu. Irisu on the other hand, is wearing dark pantyhose. PANTYHOSE!
  • Finally, the anime director provides behavioral cues to support this understanding. There is the distinct whif of the verbotten - the conspiratorial whisper, the shocked gasp. We are not dealing with kid stuff here.

3. All these visual, verbal and behavioral cues taken together demonstrate that Irisu is being a senpai in the true sense of the word. We are shown a woman among little girls, a sophisticated and worldly senior patiently schooling her naive but earnest kouhai in the dark but essential feminine skill of domesticating the menfolk. The joke here is that while Irisu is obviously talking about guys, clueless Eru evidently doesn't get it and erroneously concludes the special technique applies to all people in general. This may lead to inadvertent results down the road.

4. Hence, I prefer the mazui version of this particular scene primarily because it conveys more of the subtle humor.

I don't hold myself out as an expert translator. In fact, I invite fellow students of the language to critique my analysis and help me improve.
Old 2012-07-24, 18:19   Link #95
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Asking people to do things for you: Chitanda vs Irisu

Chitanda's eyes:
- Works almost instantly
- Doesn't require a private room. Works in public places in the presence of other people.
- Works on both sexes

Irisu:
- Takes time to butter the target up
- Works better in a private space.
- Works better on men

I think Chitanda wins.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-07-24, 21:04   Link #96
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I wondered how come Eru and Irisu could be friends before. While reading comments about the scene, I think I've figured it out. It just occurs to me that, at least in manga and anime world, Irisu's character type is what usually pairs up with an airhead character as best friends. Usually, the backstory is that the manipulative character, while capable of being social, did not have any real friend due to her nature, until she met the airhead character. The airhead character was so honest that she just didn't know how to deal with her and eventually ended up being airhead character's "guardian."

While that certainly didn't happen in this story, I think I see a short version in this episode as well as the reason why Irisu is so promptly help Eru. The reason being Eru is one type of person she can't handle. She has no problem using people but someone like Eru is so innocent she can't manipulate her on her conscience.

Put it in another way, Eru character type usually provoke maternal instinct. An appropriated soft-spot for an empress.
Old 2012-07-24, 21:32   Link #97
InfiniteDistance

As before, the festival seemed really vibrant and fun. Kind of had me wishing we'd have those things to spice up school life a bit. In any case, the mystery being pushed to the background worked fine for me, the character interactions seem to be able to carry the show.

I especially liked the chemistry of the group minus Oreki. The three of them were having a genuinely good time (even Mayaka I believe, despite the stress). It also reinforced my feeling that Oreki isnt very likable and still the bitter 'leave me alone' type of person. His little action at the end didn't really make up for that.

I'm really starting to like Mayaka and Satoshi (not even as a pairing). They seem much more real - and less one dimensional - than Oreki and Chitanda. And Mayaka is just really cute in her subtle cosplay references.
Old 2012-07-25, 01:23   Link #98
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
BTW - ep 14 was great.

Jus sayin.

That being said, for some reason Chitanda hopping around while she was in her cooking slot in the contest made me laugh for a long time....
Old 2012-07-25, 05:38   Link #99
rulfo

And so it seems someone has spotted our mysterious adorable pumpkins.....
Spoiler for "HNNNNNNNNGkins:
Old 2012-07-25, 11:23   Link #100
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

cool cooking episode... who will expect the fight will be an epic one like this???
Mayaka surely is a perfectionist... lol

it's funny to see how Chitanda interact with Iris.... she is like a dog... hahaha *epic facepalm*

anyway, one more Hyouka sold!! xD
Closed Thread