4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-08, 13:27   Link #101
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

The reason regarding the mining rights is spoiler territory. It won't be revealed until a second season (arc 4 is the longest arc, so season 2 would be purely just arc 4 or perhaps they could squeeze in arc 5, but arc 5 is awesome so I would hate for it to be rushed.)
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 13:49   Link #102
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
@Applehell I meant Anastasia (The loli around all those cats, not best naming I agree in hindsight).

Regarding mining rights I was under the impression that only Crush would get them
Spoiler for Image:
No Anna gets them too as said in the epiosde, but looks she's sharing with them Crusch. The other reason she's helping out is because the White Whale is an absolute menace to trade routes and such, so Anna basically has every reason to want this operation to succeed.

EDIT: Whoops, apparently I was mistaken. Anna isn't getting the rights at all. Subaru brought her in because he wanted to hire her mercs and he had infomation she wanted. She seems interested in seeing the WW threat to merchants and roads removed so this more of an long term investment for her.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-08-08 at 21:11.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 14:00   Link #103
ImageCraft

i'm not sure if anyone talked about this but why does Wilhelm knows/remember that her wife got eaten by the white whale? it seems like anyone who gets killed by the whale get their existence erased (judging from how everyone forget who Rem is on previous life). perhaps someone else did it?
Old 2016-08-08, 14:07   Link #104
Applehell

Then maybe it stands the reason that the WW didn't eat her and she died in some other way during the battle?
Old 2016-08-08, 15:45   Link #105
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

You know, I've been giggling at how Priscilla is left out in all this. Regardless of what he's actually thinking, I'm imagining Subaru's attitude towards her is "beware crazy bitch" and Priscilla going 'gununu'.
Old 2016-08-08, 15:47   Link #106
Aetherdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken View Post
Part of the complaint was that they spent 5 episodes, which is A LOT, to get us to this point, and that they only rewarded us with 5 minutes of the alliance formation, well it was disappointing. I'd rather they had condensed those episodes a bit more and gave us more of what you're alluding to.

There's something that's not adding timing wise all told, but not because of the monster hunting whale issue, but because of some of his previous instances it seemed he was running against time to get to Emilia. And getting late as it were.

But in his last adventure when he went against the White Whale, he actually arrived in time, so that he's fighting the White Whale now, is consistent at least with the idea that he still has time to arrive.
It was actually pointed out by Rem that Lifaus Highway, in which the Flugel tree was planted right beside to, is the much faster route to and from the capital to the Roswaal territory. That's the reason why Subaru reached the village, and by extent, Emilia by about a full day's time earlier.
Aetherdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 17:10   Link #107
Jerseykid

yay for progress
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 20:38   Link #108
Ricadan
Formerly Anonymous

This was a great episode, I think TripleR is spot on in his analysis. They've really managed to create a rewarding payoff while still hyping me up for the next big confrontation in a timely fashion.

After seeing how Crusch handles negotiations and leads her armies, I'm inclined to believe that she's the one who actually deserves the throne. I mean, that lie detector power is basically unbeatable for diplomacy. My one small complaint this episode is why, in the face of a giant flying whale, does everyone decide that small melee weapons are the most effective. Why not bring artillery? Or if that takes too much time, why not a shit ton of arrows?

Also, apparently Wilhelm is Captain Ahab.
Ricadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 21:26   Link #109
Budweineken
Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherdraw View Post
It was actually pointed out by Rem that Lifaus Highway, in which the Flugel tree was planted right beside to, is the much faster route to and from the capital to the Roswaal territory. That's the reason why Subaru reached the village, and by extent, Emilia by about a full day's time earlier.
Cool, thanks.
Old 2016-08-08, 21:50   Link #110
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricadan View Post
This was a great episode, I think TripleR is spot on in his analysis. They've really managed to create a rewarding payoff while still hyping me up for the next big confrontation in a timely fashion.

After seeing how Crusch handles negotiations and leads her armies, I'm inclined to believe that she's the one who actually deserves the throne. I mean, that lie detector power is basically unbeatable for diplomacy. My one small complaint this episode is why, in the face of a giant flying whale, does everyone decide that small melee weapons are the most effective. Why not bring artillery? Or if that takes too much time, why not a shit ton of arrows?

We only got as far as them charging at the whale, we dont know if they brought ranged weapons/magic or not yet, but I would guess that they would be smart enough to do so.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 22:33   Link #111
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricadan View Post
This was a great episode, I think TripleR is spot on in his analysis.
Thank you!

Quote:
After seeing how Crusch handles negotiations and leads her armies, I'm inclined to believe that she's the one who actually deserves the throne. I mean, that lie detector power is basically unbeatable for diplomacy.
Good points.

My current anime-only (and so very tentative) take on the Royal Candidates:

Crusch/Anastasia >> Emilia >>> Priscilla > Felt

So far, Felt appears to be crazy and just wants to watch the world burn.

Priscilla seems entitled to a corrupt degree, and would probably represent "status quo" at best. Subaru probably made the right call leaving her out of this, lol. But she is a fun character.

Emilia would likely improve things some for the poorer people, but I wonder if her position is a little too idealistic/simplistic for this show's main setting.

Crusch has a good clear-thinking head on her shoulders and the benefits you mentioned, while I get the impression that Anastasia's rule would result in a booming economy (though possibly with a very skewed benefit for a relative few at the top). I'd probably give Crusch a slight edge overall.

Quote:
That's a really fun analogy. It fits beautifully!
Old 2016-08-08, 23:17   Link #112
DemonneoPT

Felt only accepted to be a candidate just to save Old Man Rom! She coudn't care less about the throne. That's why i loved the way she trolled everyone with that crazy speech..lol. But i believe Reinhard will eventually change her mind and make her a proper Royal Heiress able to rival even with Crusch! That OP Redhead looks like a man with a plan so i'm kinda curious about his future with Felt.

But yeah, so far, Crusch seems to be the best choice. Sorry Emilia, you are adorable, but too naive to be a decent Queen
Btw, am i the only one that thinks Crusch in her armor looks like Erza (Fairy Tail) but with green hair and without steroids?
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 23:18   Link #113
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thank you!

Good points.

My current anime-only (and so very tentative) take on the Royal Candidates:

Crusch/Anastasia >> Emilia >>> Priscilla > Felt

So far, Felt appears to be crazy and just wants to watch the world burn.

Priscilla seems entitled to a corrupt degree, and would probably represent "status quo" at best. Subaru probably made the right call leaving her out of this, lol. But she is a fun character.

Emilia would likely improve things some for the poorer people, but I wonder if her position is a little too idealistic/simplistic for this show's main setting.

Crusch has a good clear-thinking head on her shoulders and the benefits you mentioned, while I get the impression that Anastasia's rule would result in a booming economy (though possibly with a very skewed benefit for a relative few at the top). I'd probably give Crusch a slight edge overall.

That's a really fun analogy. It fits beautifully!

I don't we have seen enough from all of candidates to say who is really better than who. Nor do we know enough about Luginca's history to say who is better leader for it's future. They seem all to have platform that highlight the various problems within the country... Priscilla not withstanding.

But are their ideas necessary the best for country in the state it's I wonder? I would also have to disagree with Emilia being the most idealsitc either. Emilia would be seemly be more concerned non-humans and the disenfranchised in general (epsode 1 had implications of segregation and other things, take note we have seen no demihumans in high positions in Luginca) rather than poor which is more Felt's angle and part of her main moviation to stick to the rulling class.

In fact I say Crusch is by far the most idealstic, she's a strong person with her own set of beliefs, great. But does choosing not to reestablish the converant with the Dragon actually help anyone? Do the people want to abandon the deity they have contined to benefit from for centuries for a harder life in fear of apathy? Will the Dragon who has yet to receive it's promise compsenation for it's centuries old protection allow such thing? Out of all the candidates Crusch who is trying go for the biggest change for an ideal more others. One that could cost people their lives and not improve much for the better.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-08-08 at 23:38.
Old 2016-08-08, 23:45   Link #114
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Even though I myself wouldnt put Priscilla on the throne, I have to admit though, she could make a good ruler.

She doesnt come across as one who could be manipulated by the nobility for their own gain, and I dont really think she's a bad person, just self centered.

I dont know enough about her inner workings, but I can kind of see her being like

Spoiler for Comparison:
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 23:54   Link #115
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
My one small complaint this episode is why, in the face of a giant flying whale, does everyone decide that small melee weapons are the most effective. Why not bring artillery? Or if that takes too much time, why not a shit ton of arrows?
We've already seen what someone like Reinhard can do with a rusty sword, nevermind what he could do with his own sword...
So it stands to reason that at least some of those swordsmen, seeing as they're part of various elite forces could do ecen just a fraction of that kind magic, and so hurt the whale with their swords...
Old 2016-08-09, 00:01   Link #116
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Even though I myself wouldnt put Priscilla on the throne, I have to admit though, she could make a good ruler.

She doesnt come across as one who could be manipulated by the nobility for their own gain, and I dont really think she's a bad person, just self centered.

I dont know enough about her inner workings, but I can kind of see her being like

Spoiler for Comparison:
Well to throw Priscilla a bone, AI in the manga does expand a bit why she wouldn't necessarily be a bad ruler despite her haughtness.

Spoiler for manga comparison:
Old 2016-08-09, 02:33   Link #117
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Fantastic episode. While Subaru's character turnaround began last episode, it is here that we see the first truly ripened fruits of that. It is tremendously cathartic to finally see Subaru handling himself well and competently after everything he has been through for almost this entire third arc.

I'd say that the old Subaru is back, except what we have here is actually better than that. Subaru has regained his spirit, and his drive and determination. He's also shown genuine cleverness for the first time in ages. But this Subaru does not have the arrogance or cringe-worthy dialogue of the old Subaru. He still has his moments of good humor, and the slightest touch of charisma, but that smarmy behavior of the past is thankfully absent here.

This Subaru is aware of the real positives of what he has to offer, but he's also aware of his own considerable limitations. That enables him to strike good smart agreements with Crush and Anastasia, and to shift events towards a great exciting fight against the White Whale.

So this episode appealed to me a lot as a The Lord of the Rings fan, and as a fan of the fantasy genre in general. The way everything came together here was excellent to watch, and almost perfect in execution. The way everybody is so pumped to take out the White Whale was great to see. The fact that this is all arising out of a show that has substantial darkness in it makes it all the more stirring and rewarding to watch.

And so the setup is complete. The big fight comes next episode! And the beauty of this show is that, for an anime-only viewer, it truly is unpredictable. What I have left to say is perfectly reflected by Irenesharda's post, so I'll simply quote it for truth!

I completely agree. Rem is best girl.

Agreed with what you wrote here, and to think some people out there still hating on the way subaru react now

"oh well thats a "realistic" character development"
"so subaru turn 180 based on the author sama direction"
"so subaru is now some kind of genius that can deal in negotation table"

like really?

i guess hater gonna hate.
Old 2016-08-09, 11:17   Link #118
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
That moment between Subaru and Rem under the Flugel Tree is more moving than the previous episode's rooftop scene, and it's cathartic to see Subaru come into his own in what is essentially a supporting role. And the soundtrack dissonance with the cell phone juxtaposed with the White Whale's arrival makes for a genuinely eerie scene

worst episode title ever though
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 12:54   Link #119
moridin84
Custom User Title

I've been thinking this for a while but the reason why Subaru remembers the people that the whale eats is probably because of his connection to the witch.

I think that Rem is being a bit too much of a perfect waifu. I'd wonder about her dying but she's already died several times so I'm not really sure what I should be concerned about. Perhaps she'll be kidnapped or something?
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 14:13   Link #120
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
That moment between Subaru and Rem under the Flugel Tree is more moving than the previous episode's rooftop scene, and it's cathartic to see Subaru come into his own in what is essentially a supporting role. And the soundtrack dissonance with the cell phone juxtaposed with the White Whale's arrival makes for a genuinely eerie scene
I think what enhances this is that this is the first time in what feels like ages Subaru has genuinely been happy. One poster in an on a anime blog said if felt like Subaru had just gotten past his own 5 stages of grief and I kind of agree.

Quote:
worst episode title ever though
Ikr?

Well is not entirely inaccurate if you include the ending in all fairness.