AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-08-21, 22:39   Link #61
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Well, the story certainly hasn't been very exciting to say the least. We can only hope the next mission will change that. Telling us more about the Time Retrograde army would be a start. They're too abstract an enemy.
Yeah, one of my big gripes with this series so far is that the Time Retrograde army doesn't seem to have any coherent motivation. Obviously they want to change history, but we don't have any idea what they want to change it to, or why they want to change it.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-02, 23:52   Link #62
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I can't say the current development is that appealing. I mean seriously Kunihiro is basically admitting he's on the verge of becoming a traitor. Why the heck are we ending the episode with a dramatic walking in opposite directions scene instead of Kane saying "you are off this mission and we are sending you back right now"? He's basically heading to the point of being on the same level as the people they are fighting; Considering murdering someone in order to change history for his own benefit.

How did they clear this guy to join on these missions anyways? History isn't pretty. A lot of bad things happen. But if you take up the job of protecting this specific version of history then you better focus on doing that. You are protecting the good events along with the bad ones.

I also agree the story is lacking because the enemy is so vague. Sure, sometimes a threat you don't fully grasp can work. You didn't need to know much about Sauron in LOTR to know that it was a bad thing to stop him. But we really don't know much about these guys. Outside of their foot soldiers looking really evil and that they don't mind getting their hands dirty...we don't know much. Are they trying to avoid the worst parts of history by changing it? Are they trying to make the world even worse? Are they just bored and wanting to kill people for laughs?

There's just too much that is unclear here. Even on the side of the main cast. Why is this one guy in charge of an organization to protect history? Also what is up with the team structure here? The First Unit is broken in power level. Considering how these missions can't allow for failure...why is the makeup of the teams like this? Seriously you can spare one or two guys from the First Unit to make sure that the Second Unit can actually handle unforeseen circumstances. It might make sense in a game setting to have a less OP team that gets stronger with time. But in terms of story it seems incredibly reckless.
Old 2017-09-05, 11:27   Link #63
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't get why Saniwa sends the swords to places where they can stumble upon their former masters in the first place. He should know they have lingering affection for them and could be tempted to change history. I don't think things are going to end well for Kunihiro.

Ootachis seem to have gotten nerfed. Mutsu and Kane-san got little trouble with the one from this week.
Old 2017-09-05, 17:38   Link #64
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't get why Saniwa sends the swords to places where they can stumble upon their former masters in the first place. He should know they have lingering affection for them and could be tempted to change history. I don't think things are going to end well for Kunihiro.

Ootachis seem to have gotten nerfed. Mutsu and Kane-san got little trouble with the one from this week.
I'm assuming it's because they would know the era best. Like how Mutsunokami was able to tell them the route that Ryoma would take when escaping with his injuries. Presumably only something that he and the two people now deceased who took it would know.
Old 2017-09-05, 17:58   Link #65
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That makes a lot of sense. Mutsunokami's knowledge did help them a lot with the mission. It's a double edged sword, I suppose. Mutsu himself was tempted to change Ryoma's fate.
Old 2017-09-12, 11:17   Link #66
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kunihiro has officially gone rogue now. The title for the next episode kind of spoiled what will happen big time and made that cliffhanger moot.
Old 2017-09-17, 18:24   Link #67
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Wait, are they going to end the series like this with Kunihiro going traitor on us? Will there be another season? It'll suck if the series ends on this low note.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 09:10   Link #68
Kurapica

This anime turned out kinda boring. Seems like there never was a big bad like i hoped for and every week we just have them beating fodder and getting to see the group dynamic. Without even having seen next weeks episode, i already know not to expect a surprise. Kinda disappointing.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 11:27   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Wait, are they going to end the series like this with Kunihiro going traitor on us? Will there be another season? It'll suck if the series ends on this low note.
There is still one episode left. I'm sure they'll solve the Kunihiro problem.
Old 2017-09-21, 23:48   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

The end of that episode went to a weird place for me. Rather than feeling drama I was more like "yeah, hurry up and take him down."

Of course he isn't likely to kill him even with the drama they tried to bring out of that cliffhanger. All one can hope is that they'll be able to knock some sense into Kunihiro.

Let's see how this turns out. In the end I can't say this has been an amazing show. Amazingly animated though .
Old 2017-09-24, 21:33   Link #71
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Kane and the others vs so many but good thing Mikazuki and the other show up to help

8/10 Cant wait tell the movie
Old 2017-09-25, 10:29   Link #72
Kurapica

Predictable but decent ending overall. While i do understand it, i don't like that Kunihiro got off so easily. They're okay with someone whose shown he's not completely dedicated to their common cause. They all welcomed him with open arms. Oh well, i guess that does go with their synergy, where they don't really hold big personal grudges. That's also kinda refreshing in its own right.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 11:13   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was disappointing. It felt like Kunihiro's rebellion itself was pointless, even if it did help him and Kane-san get some closure. I expected the battle against the thousand troops to be more impressive too. Really didn't felt like they sent that many of them.

Overall, I'd give the show a 6/10. Great battles and cool characters but almost no plot to speak of. We don't know anything more about Saniwa and the time retrograde army than we did at the very beginning of the series.
Old 2017-09-29, 15:52   Link #74
Mistyclear

Kanon I don't think the game itself has given any reason for the time retrograde army or Saniwa (the player) so the anime probably wanted to avoid giving a reason, since quite a few anime who do that kind of shoot themselves in the foot (my opinion in any case) when the original source does create one.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 23:49   Link #75
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
As Mistyclear mentioned the game hasn't given any reason as to why the Retrograde army is trying to change history. The game has no real plot to speak of. The Retrograde army just gives you a reason to level up swords and collect new ones as they get added to the game. This is why as much as I liked the anime I think Hanamaru is a better fit for this type of game. With it's more slice of life nature you focus less on the action and the retrograde army in general.
Old 2017-09-30, 05:14   Link #76
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

In some ways there isn't much they can do if the game itself hasn't given any clear answers. But in that way I kind of feel like this wasn't the best choice to turn into an anime then. Not having any understanding of the enemies and why they are acting can hurt getting invested in what is going on.

If they were a kind of mindless and random threat that might be one thing. You could then treat the Retrograde Army as simply a natural disaster that the main characters have to deflect. But they clearly have objectives, we just don't know what they are.

In the end it was a good looking show with some pretty nice action. But....that's about it. I just never could get invested in the main characters that much. Well outside of just getting frustrated by Kunihiro by the end of it. Some really good work by the studio raises this show to a 6/10 for me. But that's about it.