Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-03, 19:02   Link #61
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Really? If anything I that the episode was actually hinting a way for Deku to become a superhero with Al Might near the end there. All Might might not have even been was very difference from Deku at one point too.
I didn't get that vibe from that scene at all. All I saw was Deku asking a question and then the episode ending. It would be a slightly different matter if All Might actually gave his response before the episode ended. And even then, if it's just some lame "encouragement and never giving up" it'd still be hollow as fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I think it's just going slow. Being the protagonist quirkless, we can't expect to see something amazing from him right away - from the preview I suspect he'll at least show his heroic spirit next week. I think right now his superpower is supposed to be that he's a freakin' determinator - he definitely looks like he has guts and won't let go of his dream easily. In a way reminds me more of some sports anime heroes, where it's more common that the first victories don't come until later.
That's fine and all. But I'm not feeling that vibe unless there's some kind of foreshadowing. Seeing the opening/next episode pv, or knowing one's anime tropes doesn't really count.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 20:13   Link #62
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I didn't get that vibe from that scene at all. All I saw was Deku asking a question and then the episode ending. It would be a slightly different matter if All Might actually gave his response before the episode ended. And even then, if it's just some lame "encouragement and never giving up" it'd still be hollow as fuck.
Actually, I'm referring to how All Might seems to be in a rush and the fact he suddenly bleeding. It suggests to me that perhaps his power my not inborn especially since nobody else we have seen with superpowers has had that happened. I could totally be wrong but I think there more to his ability then we know right now.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 21:09   Link #63
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Hmmm an ok start the mc was better as a kid being all hyper then as a teen
Old 2016-04-03, 21:49   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Anime-only viewer here.

Very good first episode. I love the show's core ideas, and so far, they're being executed really well.

Deku is a tremendously sympathetic character that's easy to root for right off the bat. His main rival is just the perfect a-hole. He already feels like an excellent "love-to-hate" character to me. He has a mix of attitude, power, and screen-presence that makes me think of a really good Trigger antagonist/villain.

All Might was similarly just perfect in the role they've given him. Visually, he's like a wild mix of Captain America, Superman, and Thor. So far, he has a personality to match, which is definitely good to see.

My Hero Academia is off to a great start. But I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about the show, because while it's premise has a lot of potential, there's also a lot of ways this could go off the tracks. I hope it doesn't, and it's looking very good so far. Entertaining watch to be sure.
Old 2016-04-03, 21:57   Link #65
Magewolf

I had heard a lot of good things about the manga so I was looking forward to this. However the first episode struck me as being very generic. We have a "determination is my power" main character and some mainly laughable bullies with a bit of action thrown in.

Part of my problem is that I have a low tolerance for "determination is my power" main character especially when that is all they seem to have going for them. Wannabe Lad seems to have wanted to be a hero for most of his life without actually doing anything about it like physical conditioning, combat training, learning skills useful for disaster response such as first aid or so on. Instead he keeps notebooks on power users which would seem to suggest that he is going to use his brain to overcome the power difference except he was not shown doing anything clever or being quick witted.

And I have a bit of a problem with that as well. It comes up a lot that Batman actually does have a superpower, a field that reduces the IQ of anyone around him friend or foe. That is used to explain how Superman or whichever hero or villain near him loses the ability to tie their own shoelaces so Batman will have something to do. And the closest thing to intelligence that Wannabe Lad has shown so far is saying that a giant hero could cause extra damage in town. Which does not require even a normal IQ to notice just a small amount of common sense. That ,along with the stupid bullies, sends up warning signs to me that they may be going with making the main character look smart by surrounding him with idiots and incompetents
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 22:01   Link #66
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Yup, this is based on a shounen manga.

Not that it was bad, everything was done very well; it looks good, the protgaonist is the biggest underdog imaginable, and the story gave us a really good reason to feel for him inmediatly. I have to say, that is a seriously hostile rival. Like, seriously, usually those guys are the "whatever, leave me alone" kind, but this was literally "go die". I'm not complaining, I'm just so surprised I had to bring it up.

I don't know why I didn't think All Might would be almost as AMERICA as Iowa (almost), but again, not complaining, its quite fun.

I'm not quite into it yet, but we haven't even seen most of the cast yet, so who knows, this could be a real winner, even if its obvious what kind of story its trying to be.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 23:04   Link #67
kagato3

Quote:
Actually, I'm referring to how All Might seems to be in a rush and the fact he suddenly bleeding. It suggests to me that perhaps his power my not inborn especially since nobody else we have seen with superpowers has had that happened. I could totally be wrong but I think there more to his ability then we know right now.
There definitely seems to be something odd going on with him as we seem to see his body shift into that form when we first see him exiting the store that the goop guy passes
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 23:15   Link #68
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
I had heard a lot of good things about the manga so I was looking forward to this. However the first episode struck me as being very generic. We have a "determination is my power" main character and some mainly laughable bullies with a bit of action thrown in.

Part of my problem is that I have a low tolerance for "determination is my power" main character especially when that is all they seem to have going for them. Wannabe Lad seems to have wanted to be a hero for most of his life without actually doing anything about it like physical conditioning, combat training, learning skills useful for disaster response such as first aid or so on. Instead he keeps notebooks on power users which would seem to suggest that he is going to use his brain to overcome the power difference except he was not shown doing anything clever or being quick witted.

And I have a bit of a problem with that as well. It comes up a lot that Batman actually does have a superpower, a field that reduces the IQ of anyone around him friend or foe. That is used to explain how Superman or whichever hero or villain near him loses the ability to tie their own shoelaces so Batman will have something to do. And the closest thing to intelligence that Wannabe Lad has shown so far is saying that a giant hero could cause extra damage in town. Which does not require even a normal IQ to notice just a small amount of common sense. That ,along with the stupid bullies, sends up warning signs to me that they may be going with making the main character look smart by surrounding him with idiots and incompetents
Small spoiler:
Main bully isn't stupid.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 00:00   Link #69
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Alright, didn't dig the pilot episode, because for an origin story whose main conflict is "Will I get into HA (Hero Academia) school?" or "Can I become a hero?", the title of the show kinda gives it away.

So nope, didn't really feel it with the pilot episode. Then again, Shokugeki no Soma didn't impress me with its pilot either, but I'd still say that was at least top 3 of the cour it came out. But I do see hope for My Hero Academia; at the very least, the fights were very well animated.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 07:04   Link #70
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

Wow, that was a really good first episode. Bones making excellent shounen adaption once again.
Old 2016-04-04, 07:18   Link #71
Yamada II

Episode 1
So this is about a world where superpowers are common place. It is a typical "weakling becomes strong and/or badass" story, but the weakling in question here is weak on a different level. He doesn't have superpowers unlike most kids his age, yet he wants to be a hero.

Lol everyone started taking pictures of that giant ass. Lol All Might doing a toothpaste commercial. The comedy was good overall.

All Might is a skinny little wimpy looking guy when he isn't in muscular form. And in muscular form he's the strongest hero out there.

The episode didn't feel anything too special overall. Story-wise I'm not sure if this can be something special. The artwork was good overall. The All Might punch was cool. This had some good moments, but nothing too extraordinary or anything.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 07:54   Link #72
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
So his super power is temporarily transforming into a more powerful state. That doesn't prove anything about him allegedly having started out as a normal.
Old 2016-04-04, 09:28   Link #73
Arin11

I liked the first episode. So far Bones is doing a good job on it.
Arin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 10:50   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Good start. I've already read the manga so all I want from this is well animated fights, and it looks like I'm going to get that. All Might's punch was great.
Old 2016-04-04, 10:56   Link #75
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Watch the first episode and I have to say that I want it more. Also, Bakugou was such a prick!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 18:05   Link #76
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
So his super power is temporarily transforming into a more powerful state. That doesn't prove anything about him allegedly having started out as a normal.
The point he was making was that the transformation seems to also take a toll on him, which hasn't been seen in any other person with Quirks and could be the product of an "unnatural" power (tech-induced rather than inborn, for example). Anyway, just wild speculation at this point.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-06, 01:55   Link #77
kgrodriguez
Three Stars and a Sun

Quote:
So am I the only one who feels like nothing happened at all? All I saw was powerless MC being powerless. I'm not even seeing any foreshadowing of the character rising to greatness despite all odds. Usually shonen series get at least that part down in the first episode.

And no, the opening doesn't count.

Is there something I'm missing?
I'm guessing you haven't read the manga? I can't really say if I would have the same reaction if I haven't read the manga, but for someone who did read it, it felt like the first episode did it's job.

Deku is a powerless and doubtful character who will eventually become strong and more confident about himself (that is not a spoiler now, is it?), and in that sense, I think the first episode was spot on.

As opposed to other shounen MCs (like say, Naruto) who are either weak/stupid but overly confident, Deku is both weak and is lacking in confidence. He does have a dream, but he isn't as determined as the other shounen MCs. At least not this early in the series.
kgrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-06, 09:50   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrodriguez View Post
I'm guessing you haven't read the manga? I can't really say if I would have the same reaction if I haven't read the manga, but for someone who did read it, it felt like the first episode did it's job.

Deku is a powerless and doubtful character who will eventually become strong and more confident about himself (that is not a spoiler now, is it?), and in that sense, I think the first episode was spot on.

As opposed to other shounen MCs (like say, Naruto) who are either weak/stupid but overly confident, Deku is both weak and is lacking in confidence. He does have a dream, but he isn't as determined as the other shounen MCs. At least not this early in the series.
Honestly, I think the predominance of LNs and their anime adaptations has soured the well for any series that actually rely on exposition and character development. Viewers want everything explained right away and the plot to start immediately. We see it over and over (Yona, Gangsta, etc.) where people complain about character flaws or unexplained plot details in the first episode.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-06, 12:58   Link #79
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:

He didn't even feel "not determined" to me. It seems to me that to still hold that dream in spite of his own mother basically breaking down in tears and saying it's impossible he must be quite determined, in fact. It's just that he's acting relatively sane compared to someone like Naruto who was so dumb he seemed to be simply removed from reality. Deku is keenly aware of the problems and difficulties with his dream. He just came across as someone who still thinks he has to try and set a precedent. I think he struck me more exactly for this, he felt closer to how I'd imagine someone trying to do something considered "impossible" for them in real life.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-06, 15:53   Link #80
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
My problem is the thing I bolded in the above quote cannot be found in the episode itself. You can deduce it from the opening, maybe the next episode preview, or maybe even some good old-fashioned genre savviness, but the episode itself only contains hints of failure and baseless optimism.

Tags
shonen, super hero, super powers