AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2018-09-16, 13:50   Link #1
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Bleach (live-action movie)

Since it has already been released on Netflix, I wonder if people wanna talk about the new Bleach liveaction film.

Premise:
Ichigo Kurosaki is a teenager from Karakura Town who can see ghosts, a talent which lets him meet Rukia Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper whose mission is to ushering the souls of the dead from the World of the Living to the Soul Society while fighting Hollows, monstrous lost souls who can harm both ghosts and humans. When Rukia is severely wounded defending Ichigo and his family from a Hollow she is pursuing, she transfers her powers to Ichigo so that he may fight instead of her, while she recovers her strength. But Ichigo finds himself in a fight beyond imagination as he contends with both a pair of Soul Reapers sent to retrieve Rukia against her will and the monstrous Hollow known as Grand Fisher.
The main actors are:

* Sota Fukushi as Ichigo Kurosaki, a high school student who becomes a Soul Reaper after receiving powers from an injured Soul Reaper.
* Hana Sugisaki as Rukia Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper who is forced to forfeit her powers after being injured while hunting the Hollow, Fishbone D.
* Erina Mano as Orihime Inoue, Ichigo's classmate.
* Ryo Yoshizawa as Uryū Ishida, a Quincy who is Ichigo's classmate
* Yu Koyanagi as Yasutora "Chad" Sado, Ichigo's classmate.
* Taichi Saotome as Renji Abarai, a Soul Reaper and the Squad Six's lieutenant who is sent to retrieve Rukia.
* Miyavi as Byakuya Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper who is Rukia's brother-in-law and the Squad Six's Captain of the Gotei 13
* Seiichi Tanabe as Kisuke Urahara, the mysterious owner of Urahara Shop.
* Yōsuke Eguchi as Isshin Kurosaki, Ichigo's father.

The entire text and image were taken from Wikipedia. Now comment!
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 10:26   Link #2
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I'm confused and curious but also reluctant to try it.
Old 2018-09-28, 19:47   Link #3
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Okay, I'll give my spoiler-less analysis.

The two main actors managed to pull a nice performance becoming very likable but didn't become that close to their original counterparts. For example, Ichigo is far friendlier in contrast to the his original persona who was a bit reluctant hero. In contrast to the manga, Ichigo performs good kenjutsu during a scene but sadly there is not enough scenes to feature this. Uryu is also more likable but he gets little screentime despite providing a lot to help.

Renji is probably the closest to his manga incarnation but his appearance might not look like the best. Byakuya is Byakuya but with a style of Vergil from Devil May Cry 3 based on the way he fights.

Sado and Orihime probably got the worst treatment. While they appear, they barely say anything important or do something for the plot. The Kurosaki family also barely appear and the Grand Fisher's past in not explored too much.
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 05:15   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just saw it last weekend and it's.........decent. It's not bad enough to be offensive to the original work (or offend most of the fans), but it's also not good enough to be put among the great animanga live-action adaptations like Rurouni Kenshin, Yatterman, Blade of the Immortal, etc. The direction is rather bland and the cinematography is weak, but the sword-fight choreo between Ichigo & Renji is quite good. The hollows look good too. The actors gave it their all and many of them work considering what they were given. But maybe the one playing Rukia is a little bit too stiff. I know Rukia isn't the most flexible person early in the story, but there's something stiffer about the actress' portrayal here.

I'm just disappointed that the adaptation practically abandoned parts of the first Karakura Arc where Chad & Orihime get deeper development. Orihime doesn't even get to talk about her brother at all. Ori was just there in few scenes worrying about Ichigo while Chad gets to help very very little.

Since the movie is required to be judged on its own, I have some questions:
Spoiler time:
Spoiler for plot points:
Old 2019-02-20, 06:11   Link #5
Okoy09

I really enjoyed seeing this action movie and was very much overwhelmed by the star cast. Entire team did great work. But nowadays I am more interested in the shows by Andy Yeatman. They are perfect for our entire family show-time. It feels so nice to watch the shows with kids along with some yummy snacks in our hands!
Okoy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-03, 14:33   Link #6
Jaden

Honestly, not bad, I would recommend this movie to people that are naive about Bleach. Won't take a lot of your time and is sure to be at least somewhat entertaining. And if it gets you hyped, well, there's plenty more material out there.
Old 2020-04-03, 10:52   Link #7
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
I'm confused and curious but also reluctant to try it.
I think you shouldn't. Seen it like a month ago, here's my intake:

Bleach 2018 7.5/10 Middle ways through, I was prepared to give it a 6/10 and say it wasn't a complete disaster like most artistic movie adaptations after anime. But were it not for the last 30 minutes or so! Now that's what movies made after anime should look more like! It seems that the japonese movie makers in conjuncture with Netflix this time have done it!

There were obvious minuses to the anime, 1st hour or so is the best example, but oddly enough the middle and the ending brought pluses over the anime, even as many as 3 of them!
Spoiler:

The movie covers the Shinigami Substitute Arc, 1st 18 or so episodes of the anime, as you would expect. I can say now that I can hardly wait for Bleach 2, Soul Society Arc, if it's anything like the ending of the 1st movie, it's gonna be a solid 8/10 at the very least, considering the quality upgrade in the anime story! Netflix, please do not desert them!

I was tempted to say can't wait to meet Gin, but that quickly turned into I hope they won't make Gin seem like a retard! Same with Yoruichi, Soi Fon and all of them rest Kenpachi, Kommamura, Shunsui, Tosen, etc. It's gonna be a hard production to make if they're serious about it, but the 1st movie was encouraging if nothing else! Bleach has the best characters of any just one anime, it's gonna be a colossal effort to just cosplay them all, not mentioning finding good actors for the parts! It could be a total blunder, but it also has a small chance to be epic! One can be forgiven the hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
but it's also not good enough to be put among the great animanga live-action adaptations like Rurouni Kenshin, Yatterman, Blade of the Immortal, etc.
WOW, DUUUUUDE! Aside from Rurouni Kenshin, I don't know of any anime adaptation that didn't bring shame to it's anime source! (Maybe except Ghost in The Shell! - it could have been better, but it did not completely suck, at least the CGI guys did a fair effort) So I heed you to tell me of all the movies that (incredible) "etc." in your sentence may uphold! I can not believe that "etc."! DUUUUDE! I wanna watch them! Do tell!

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-04-03 at 11:09.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleach, live-action, netflix, shinigamis