AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky☆Star - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 197 43.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 127 28.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 72 16.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 3.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 1.33%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-09-22, 16:23   Link #21
Omfgbbqwtf

The first couple episodes of the series weren't erally impressive. There were parts of the episodes where I just want to skip. THe later episdoes were really good. Comiket and all the other funny stuffs. So..the Scripting part I will give it a 8.5

For Animation quality... I thought it was pretty good, different from most (if not all) of KyoAnime's works. Refreshing is the word to use I guess. 9

VAs: 9.5, Nothing really to complain about, but I don't think it's perfect, so 9.5 seems fair to me.

Character: 10, For the obvious reason.

Editing: eh... no score..I usually don't take this into my scoring consideration.

Emotional Involvement: 8.5. Obviously, this isn't suppose to trigger a lot of emotion. The series as a whole is very relaxing. The parts where KyoAnime intended to provoke emotions (such as Kanata part) were done pretty well, so.. a 9 seems fair.

Overall, 9.5 round to 10. I don't take the average. Character + VA + Anime Quality are the areas I focus on the most, so the others don't affect too much in my overall scoring.
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 22:02   Link #22
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

I would say this anime caught my eyes and the characters are cute too... Makes me wanna watch The old series of Azumanga Daioh again... Great !
Chi-no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 22:14   Link #23
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I'd give it a 9 overall. It started out a bit slow, and had it's low points. Still, it's a comedy slice of life series and accomplishes what it was intended for quite well. It's not perfect, but most of the episodes were funny and that's really what counts here. Did the series have a lot of story or character development? No, but that was never the intent here.
Old 2007-09-23, 00:44   Link #24
EXEs
Hallelujah...

I gave it a 9, because of Lucky Channel. To be honest, I found it quite boring and really wack. But everything else was excellent. The seiyus did a great job in portraying the character's voices, music was nice and catchy, and the script was, well, probably the funniest I've ever heard. IMO, I think Lucky Star is the best anime of 2007, but wait...there's still Clannad.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 01:38   Link #25
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I gave it a 9, because of Lucky Channel. To be honest, I found it quite boring and really wack. But everything else was excellent. The seiyus did a great job in portraying the character's voices, music was nice and catchy, and the script was, well, probably the funniest I've ever heard. IMO, I think Lucky Star is the best anime of 2007, but wait...there's still Clannad.
Wish people would stop saying that. There's still a LOT of other shows.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 02:29   Link #26
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

Well everyone have their own opinion, which can be completely different from bad to the best anime of 2007

And here comes my view on Lucky Star

Animation ( 7/10 ) : Nothing really special but the character are well drawn nonetheless. Most of the times the character is just doing discussion and talking so its acceptable to have little to no great animation. The anime tenchou part is something different though and IMHO it can be consider okay

Voice Actors ( 10/10 ) : Without the cast, I don't think it will be this lively and funny. Aya Hirano is one of my favourite (if not the most fav) VA as of now. In here we also see the VAs of Kagami , Patricia , Misao , Tsukasa , Shiraishi, Akira really fitting for each of their character and makes the show lively and funny.

Script ( 8/10 ) : Not perfect but to me , who likes comedy and enjoys Azu, Fumoffu, SR and a few others, it is very good. Although I won't see the comedy the same way I see it from School Rumble and Fumoffu though , as what funny in Lucky Star is not based on the action but their emotion / voice , not those action-type School Rumble type kind of jokes.

Rewatch level ( 99/10 ) I cant get enough of Lucky Star and its just one of the few anime (not one anime that come close to this besides Azu or SR , which I still consider LS to be one of the most rewatchable anime as of now) that I can go and pick on any episode and start watching and enjoy at the same time. It is something that I look forward to enjoy when I am not in the mood to start a new series or busy with work and need to take some short break.

Emotional Involvement (10/10) : This is pretty subjective but having watched Haruhi before this series (and I consider TMoSH as one of the best anime) , I really like Lucky Star, alot and end up finding more about it like whos the VA for each of the character and such, especially the VA for Kagamin and Tsukasa .

Lucky Star also proof something that I am not well aware of for a long time, Kyoto Animation really rocks, I am a person who don't research much on an anime production team or whatsoever and not really care about it until I watch LS. And I found out that they are the one who did FMP / Haruhi and makes me want to start watching some of the other anime they produced (Kanon, Air, and the upcoming Clannad)

Overall (10/10) : Yes you can say its not perfect but this is my opinion, I am one of the many I think who thinks this is the best anime of 2007 (even before watching the upcoming fall anime) and I don't think my view is gonna change either. I like to laugh and Lucky Star provide me with alot of moment to do that. Bravo Kyo Ani for bringing this anime and special thanks to Aya Hirano that IMHO, a perfect VA for Konata. Well maybe theres some other who can do Konata but for me, her voice for Konata is what I like the most in the entire anime (follow by the Konata - Kagami relation and others )
s[H]sIkuA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 03:33   Link #27
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
While I love the series quite a bit, I'm forced to give it a 9. Simply due to the Lucky Channel aspect. While yes Lucky Channel did have its moments and started to improve later on. The fact remains it still took away valuable time from the series. Also I have to admit I was getting a bit impatient waiting for certain characters to appear. Although once they finally did appear things really started to become more awesome.

The main reason the show appeals to me is I can be relaxed while watching it. I get a variety of cute girls. Each fun in their own way. However with of course Misao being the best. Plus the art style well let's just say has its own appeal. The opening song is quite addictive. Lucky Star may not succeed at being a masterpiece, but it succeeds at being enjoyable. The latter of which is what is actually important to me.
Old 2007-09-23, 17:04   Link #28
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Disclaimer: I'm not one to numerically rate a series. I can't. It's impossible for me to extrapolate my feelings into numbers, whatever they might be. I can't say "Oh, that plot sure deserves 0.5 points more than this one!", or "According to my calculations, animation in this series is 1.5 points more than the one in this other series". I don't know how people in general manage at all to do so... but I don't want to rant on this point, so I'll cut it short and get to the substance.

Disclaimer II: Nothing of what I say here is a universal truth. So if anyone disagrees with what I write here, by all means do so, because nothing of what I say is worth more than what anyone else says.

The starting point of this series is exactly the same as the one in a beloved series of mine, Azumanga Daioh. This, combined with the fact that I'm a die hard Slice of Life fan, and that I usually appreciate Kyoto Animation's work, pushed me towards watching this series. However, in the end, I was disappointed in both the Azumanga Daioh comparison and the (missing) Slice of Life element. Kyoani also disappointed me a bit, with the overuse of needless Haruhi references.

On the "Azumanga Daioh comparison" point:

This might as well be called "emotional involvement". The fact that I can't easily remember the name of half the cast is proof of how little attachment to the characters I felt. Yes, some of them, like Kagami and Tsukasa, were deeply lovable, but I'll take Osaka and Chiyo-chan any day. It's true that Lucky Star had an element missing in AzuDai, which is represented by the otaku-related references, but even those jokes didn't jack me up as much as Osaka's randomness and Yukari's immature attitudes did. Azumanga was also better structured--gags were grouped more or less in a "setting" of sorts (three small "settings" per episode). Lucky Star's gags were randomly thrown around, without a consistent feeling to it. The fault might lie in the original material, though, so I'm not really sure on this point.

But I think the definitive point, the final proof of how much Lucky Star was missing to provide me the same emotions Azumanga did was the ending. AzuDai's ending was deeply emotional--Lucky Star's was bland, anti-climatic and emotionless. I watched Azumanga three times in 6 months... and I don't feel like watching LS again for a long, long time. Perhaps, as I said in the final episode thread, it's because I'm not in high school anymore... but either way, the end result remains the same.

On the "Slice of Life" point:

First of all, let me introduce my concept of Slice of Life. It's not only depicting real life. In fact, you can completely ignore real life, if you want, and still get a perfect SoL show (ARIA is the best example). The importance is in the setting. Some shows focus on character relationships, other shows focus on plot development, but slice of life shows focus mainly on the setting. It can be mixed, though: Azumanga Daioh and Ichigo Mashimaro successfully mix strong character relationships with an equally strong attention to the setting. However, Lucky Star failed to deliver it. I think I didn't even found one single scene where the main focus was a depiction of the setting. This disappointed me quite a bit, since it was something I had expected to see on this show from the word go.

On the "Overuse of Haruhi references" point:

Well, not much to say here. Whatever people may argue against this, the fact remains that there are at least one or two Haruhi references per episode. That's way, way too much. Yeah, I laughed when, in one of the first episodes, Konata is caught watching Haruhi. But after a couple of episodes, the joke started to wear out. The lowest point (when I was actually actively annoyed by the reference instead of just passively bothered) was the Hare Hare dance in episode 16, clearly in my eyes the poorest episode of the series. Yes, I liked SHnY, I liked the Hare Hare dance, I liked Hirano Aya as Haruhi (and as Konata), but just cut it out.

Thankfully enough, from episode 17 onwards the show went back up, and those final episodes ended up being much more enjoyable than the rest of the series.

So what positive things can I say about this series?

The fact that it was funny. Not AzuDai-funny, but funny nevertheless. The fact that it had very good voice acting for the most part. The fact that it had lots of cultural and otaku-related references. The fact that key animation was constant among the whole series. The fact that, in the end, and despite my criticism of it, I enjoyed the series. It's not the best, I don't feel like watching it again, but I enjoyed it anyways.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-09-23 at 19:31.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 10:45   Link #29
Anime Hate Machine

Animation Quality: 8 Very stylized, but seldom lazy. Great backgrounds, good movement. I think they should have saved double the budget for the final dance number, but otherwise there were only a few times that I noticed missed opportunities.

Voice Actors: 10 The voice talent makes this show. Sebastian and Aya in particular. Again, very stylized.

Script: 4 Spent far too much time on panel 4, when panel 3 was the punchline. We don't need to see Kagami explain that she's annoyed when it's for an obvious reason. Not more than once, that's for damn sure. I felt that this detracted greatly from the show's pacing, which is so terribly important for a comedy. Too many jokes fell flat.

I didn't actually mind the Haruhi or FMP Fumoffu references. KyoAni gets to use them for free, and they weren't any worse than half of Hayate no Gotoku's (largely pointless) references, which are doubly annoying thanks to being beeped out.

Editing: 7 In this area, quality work is work you never notice. The main show itself was well edited. But many things could have been better -- eyecatches, for example. Where were my Konata cosplay eyecatches?

Emotional Involvement: 7 As one of the most vocally hated anime of the season, it's clearly gotten its hooks into a huge number of people. (There are lots of folks who love it, too.) Could have easily gotten a 10 here if the characters showed the tiniest bit of development.

Overall Rating: 7
Anime Hate Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 13:19   Link #30
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show far exceeded my expectations. I think I'll give it a nine, but give me time and that might climb to a ten. I didn't think it was a classic, but it is so memorable that perhaps it was.

For me, the characters were strong all round. And I'm not sure what kind of "development" we can get in a show that is essentially plotless, but I felt that these were fuller characters than the vast majority you see in anime. I got to know them better and better each week. As I've said before, I'll have to watch more of AzuDai, since for me this show was much more enjoyable than what I recall of that one.

And of course I agree with all the praise for the seiyuus. Hirano Aya's Konata was a total revelation in ep1. Several episodes in, people were still posting that they only just realized it was Aya. Tsukasa (Fukuhara Kaori) and Yutaka (Hasegawa Shiuzuka) were deeply moe. Kagami (Katou Emiri) was such a lovable tsundere. And Patty (Sasaki Nozomi) was one of the most interesting "foreigners" I can recall.

The references pleased rather than annoyed me, and I found them funny even when I didn't know where they were from. As for the humor, I'll go back to what I said after episode one: this is not laugh-out-loud humor, but the kind of humor that has you smiling inside from start to finish. They did tend to deemphasize the punch lines, and that was a good thing, in my opinion.

By the way, I completely disagree with rating methods that sum up marks for various aspects of a show, such as animation, voices, story, etc. (e.g., AnimeNfo). That is the way to rate bland but workmanlike shows highly and downgrade shows that make their points by being outstanding in one aspect or another. I also disagree with methods that start with an overall rating, then add or subtract for specific strengths/weaknesses. That method is subjectivity pretending to be objective. I'm actually not so keen on ratings at all, but in any case I rate on overall impression, period. I think of it as being honestly subjective, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 17:52   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Speaking of Animenfo, the review by Kamille is in fact me giving a preliminary review of Lucky Star as of approximately episode 8. Man how things changed since then, both for the good and the bad. I think that's what those in the gaming industry call a "Professional Review, though not so professional in all honesty. Live and Learn as they say.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-09-24 at 18:49.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 19:38   Link #32
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Getting this out of the way, I though this was a very good and well presented anime.

In terms of a story it was kinda lacking. I mean at least the had a story for each episode, but overtime the episode would completly drift off into another story. Not a major problem but still I would kinda like to see an episode that lasted for the entire episode.

The animation was pure win. It was very fluent and well done. At times it seemed a little choppy but I forgive them it was really minor anyway.

I did not dig the character designs so much. They seemed to look almost to much the same with some minor differences (eyes,hair,height,etc) I know you can't change much before completly killing the cutsey tone the characters have but they could make them look a LITTLE different.

The characters however were interesting. From a manga and video game obsessed girl, to a girl who seems to like the yuri genre. The character cast was wacky and what you would see in a typical American comedy. They all had thier quirks and completly different personalitys which would make you fall in love them by the first episode. Although they were not what you see in a everyday anime. There not anything groundbreaking.

The slcie of life parts were well done and did not seem to bore you without turning the show into a"moral of the story" type show.

The script while funny got reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly boring after about 8 minutes. I do wish they would exagerate just a little bit (Legendary girl A bit is a perfect example) because I was getting kinda tired of the "Yeah I hate it when that happens" and "You know how this happens when you do this" type conversations.

Okay now for the humor. Haruhi refrence=WIN
Haruhi refrence AGAIN=WIN
Haruhi refrence once AGAIN=LOL thats cool
Haruhi refrence another time=Okay enough now
Haruhi cafe scene=Was there really any need for this?

As you can see the Haruhi refrences got boring and tiring. The refrence to other animes was a good to see though and whenever the script squeezed in a funny line or convo it would get me laughing out loud hard.

Voice actors were great. Can't say much else.

I have grown to love SOME of the characters and though all were presented nicely I did not like some of the characters.

So overall.
Animation Quality: 8-10
Voice Actors: 9-10
Script: 7-10
Humor: 7-10
Editing-Don't really understand what you mean by that.
Emotional Involvement-6/10
Overall-8/10

I'm done
Trogdor Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 21:01   Link #33
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

I would give the series a 9.5 out of 10. Lucky Star was pretty damn good. The ending is open for a second season and I can't wait for the next season. I'm too lazy to write a review.

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 11:01   Link #34
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

If i repeat the Sound/Animation/Character....etc....., i will really feel like a copycat. So spare me for short post. =]

I give the whole series personally a 10, because it actually beated up my expectation in every espisodes and raised my anime medium standard up into a whole new level. I don't compare one anime with other series , you see. I compare it with its self part that I predict.

The most impressive thing i noticed from Lucky Star is: the voice actor really did a brilliant job (way over my expectation) and many small moving animation actually can give a whole lot of character building.

Sad that's the series end, but hope a short season, or maybe few OVA will come out .
Old 2007-09-26, 08:15   Link #35
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
A solid 9/10.
The series had a slow start but quicky picked up. It seamed like the makers were looking for there style, trying diffrent approaches and see what would work and what not.
Great animation, great voice action, not so good on the story and original humor.
Overall it is THE comedy show of this year (well... for now maybe).
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 19:28   Link #36
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

I loved this serie they have the perfect formula

Start a harem anime with the main male characters, add many different girls and then....take out the guy and let the girls have fun by themselves! XD

We need a 2nd season. This show has such a timeless feel to it, I could keep watching it forever
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 23:44   Link #37
takumi2k4

I gave it a 9. It's not that it doesn't deserve a 10, actually, I believe it should receive more than a 10, but a 9 simply because of the crazy Haruhi references. I don't mind it, and I might be contradictory here, but it does get a little crazy sometimes. Add in the fact that AVPlaya had to explain many many of the references made.

And that I hated Lucky Channel, it wasn't funny, until Shiraishi went psycho and Gotouza-sama came for a visit, but anything before that, LC was crap.
takumi2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 05:19   Link #38
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Ok so they went a little overboard with the Haruhi refrences, but it was more in tiny segments then an actual part of the show. You can actually miss it by closing by blinking your eyes most of the time. To be honest how where you watching that every Haruhi reference can irritate you. The only ones that stood out to me was Kona's at the cosplay cafe and her switching voices, but that was pretty hilarious for me. :O

The reason why I gave this a 10, what might come out as a bias. Which it is, but do you know how many anime that can make biased? Not many. People expect Lucky star to have much more since it's so popular, but have you thought about the factor that the simple fun is what made it so popular? As an bonus it has some drama, humor that is somewhat painfull and showing the harshness of life. Though well hidden, but definitely there. This series is one of the best slice-of-life's I have seen in a while. The next one to top this is probably Yotsubato! which will even beat Azumanga Daioh easily, but that's based one how much better Yotsubato manga is then the Azumanga Daioh manga and anime.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 23:29   Link #39
Nuke Mayhem
Shopping Hero 4ever

Send a message via AIM to Nuke Mayhem Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Mayhem
Thumbs up

I just finished watching the series (all the eps made so far) and I have to say this was a funny and sweet(as in adorable) anime that I'm sure will have a cult fallowing like any good series. Event though the series had no giant robots(except in Konata's fantasies), epic twists or over-voluptuous females I found myself hooked to this show wanting to see what happens next no matter how "un-epic" it is. The "Lucky Channel" bits, the anime store owners bits, and ending credit bits(especialy when they go live action) are hilarious.

I even found myself having a bit of a crush on the blue haired, quick-tougned, Konata because I get her way of thinking of finding the cool in something most people will find boring, and while she indulges into her love for anime and games she can keep her head in reality and make a living. Isn't that what most hardcore-anime-fans want in a mate, someone who not only gets you but is like you.

What I think makes show anime so well without going to the old epic stand-by's and just sticking to normal every-day topics is that almost anybody can relate to these characters, anime fan or not. Whether your a the by-his/her-self type, the hard working type, the shy type, the too weak and unhealthy to do what you want type, the foreigner type, want at least some boobage type, or whatever type of person you are, you'll likely find a characters in this series that you will understand and fall in love with (if you haven't figure it out yet, my character's Konata. tongue. ).

9/10
Nuke Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 09:39   Link #40
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Did I give a series rating already? I don't remember. In any case...

I like the otaku jokes, as its blended in with the story, so I can 'get' it despite not knowing much about otakudom. Compare this to Hayate no Gotoku, where references are basically 1 to 2 second lines/pictures... Thank god for Konata, who made me start to watch the show in first place.

Of course, main reason why I like this series is because of Kagamin. She's by far the most interesting of the group, the most unique (being the sense of reason), and the most kawaii. If Konata is bait, she is the hook.

Insight to Japanese culture gives it bonus points. LS owes a big chunk of its rating to the endings (both karaoke and minoru) and Lucky Channel, both of which I found highly amusing to the end. No real plot to speak of, since this is basically a character driven slice of life show, so its no real biggie. Characters are very well done, which in this kind of show is all that matters.

It does make me watch the episode as soon as its done, but not to the level of Bokurano or Gigantic Formula in which I feel I want the next episode NOW. They're missing that extra 'oomph!', and that with the fact that I found some of the episodes lacking, I do think that my rating is extremely generous as it is.

Series Rating: A-
Fighting for third place in the spring 2007 lineup with HnG, RxJ, Oofuri, and Overdrive.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote