AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2013-05-29, 05:26   Link #1
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Why we sub.

Why do you sub? What got you started? What are your goals in subbing?

I'll start.

I started subbing because there was not much getting subbed at the time.

I sub now, whenever I actually do, for my own enjoyment.

I think my number one goal is to finish projects I like. To have fun with friends and enjoy the experience.

It's sad to me that 36 people read this and no one was willing to share their experiences...

Last edited by getfresh; 2013-05-29 at 07:08. Reason: lack of participation
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 08:01   Link #2
jfs
Aegisub dev

When I did karaoke effects, many years ago, it was for the fun and challenge. I wanted to express some creativity and try new things, so that's what I did.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 08:08   Link #3
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Thanks JFS for contributing
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 10:39   Link #4
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Well, in my case, it's rather simple.I sometimes want something subbed a certain way. If that way is not available, I will try to convince the ones releasing it in a different way to release it the way I want. If I cannot, I will try and release myself. I first joined a group because they weren't releasing an anime the way I wanted it released (in regards to translation), and they said that I should join their group and do it the way I wanted. So I did. This is actually how I worked for other groups as well.

Step 1: Bitch about what they're doing.
Step 2: Volunteer/Get asked to help.
Step 3: Join group.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit.

It's even simpler now when I do BD releases. Nobody releasing series X on BD? Do it myself. Somebody releasing series X on BD with subs from Y, and I prefer subs from Z? Release it with Z subs myself.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 14:10   Link #5
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I don't sub. When I did it was to prove I was better than everyone else; I didn't have any particular goals. I outgrew that and so I don't do it anymore.

I do still cap stuff but that's mostly because I'm still brosefs with some people who sub (mostly for ad money, these days).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 22:29   Link #6
Tsubie
L-E Staff Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Tsubie
I started subbing seven years back because Tofusensei and gumbaloom recruited me to L-E and I was hoping helping them with stalled projects would mean a certain show Tofu was working on would move faster. . It wasn't easy.... I was subbing on a 5 kiloBYTES/sec internet connection, but I am very determined and a huge believer in making obscure shows available to people who wouldn't be watching them otherwise.

I didn't sub for years but came back recently because it gave me a reason to be on IRC and procrastinate from schoolwork "productively"/escape from the evergrowing harshness of real-life and help people on a global scale without too much time commitment (by providing groups with my TL/TS services and fans with their shows)... something I don't get to do much now .

I may consider fansubbing to be pretty dead and hence would never volunteer to work on a new show (though I do miss the excitement of doing new shows sometimes). My time is too precious so if I am going to sub, I'd only help with shows that require my contribution: i.e. my goal is to help put out shows that I've grown up watching but still haven't seen the limelight of an international audience yet.
Old 2013-05-30, 04:48   Link #7
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I sub now when people in the industry pay me enough money and/or I really like the project.

But in the beginning it was mostly to have fun and reinforce my Japanese studying at the time. And to sub shows that I thought weren't being done by anyone decent at a good enough pace.

My overall motivation hasn't really changed much though: From the beginning I wanted more anime to be a worldwide success, and that's still exactly why I do the job I am doing, it's just that I have a hell of a lot more influence than I did as a random fansubber.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 05:36   Link #8
Youkakun
*Fansubber

I started fansubbing as translator to improve my english, then groups with interesting animes needed typesetters, so i wanted to bring them forward, and that brought me to karaoke effects with the same reasons like jfs already mentioned.
Youkakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 09:46   Link #9
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I sub now when people in the industry pay me enough money and/or I really like the project.

But in the beginning it was mostly to have fun and reinforce my Japanese studying at the time. And to sub shows that I thought weren't being done by anyone decent at a good enough pace.

My overall motivation hasn't really changed much though: From the beginning I wanted more anime to be a worldwide success, and that's still exactly why I do the job I am doing, it's just that I have a hell of a lot more influence than I did as a random fansubber.
You know, this will never get old but my mind never ceases to be blown whenever I recall your postgraduate background. Thanks for your efforts in spreading the anime gospels, Quarkboy.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 06:23   Link #10
cyth
Banned

I started fansubbing way back because I got all these cool anime shows for free and I wanted to give something back to the community. I'd still be a fool if I said it was all selfless, because as the years went by my motivations for subbing changed many times. Now that I look back, it was a huge waste of personal time, still I'm glad we all had some part in bringing forth this situation where fansubbing is largely not needed anymore.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 10:36   Link #11
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Long ago - 21 years ago - I started fansubbing for:
1. Wanted to be able to share my passion for anime with my friends and have them be able to understand and enjoy the show.

2. Didn't want to listen to horrible dubs by cruddy American voice actors who sound like they are reading from a script.

3. Thought I might be able to do better than what I'd seen out there already.

4. Had to resub some shows professional companies did due to their botching the job. Like using "dub-titles" and using ALL-CAPS(Pioneer was notorious).

5. Wanted to share my scripts with other fansubbers. And we did, plus they shared theirs with us - then you customize it to your liking. The good old days.

And I'm still doing it today because I enjoy it. The passion still hasn't died out.
Old 2013-06-01, 12:46   Link #12
sangofe

Because I think it's fun to work with people in a team. To be motivated by each's effort, and also to sub older anime that haven't been subbed (well) before.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 18:41   Link #13
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Hmm...I started subbing because it looked/seemed interesting and I wanted to try my hand as a translator/translation checker, since I'm fluent in both Japanese and English. I still sub because I enjoy what I work on and the people I work with. Sadly, I don't get to sub as much as I like to anymore. My goals are to sub shows that I like, which are usually older and/or unsubbed/under appreciated anime, and allow them to get (more) exposure. Spreading the love of old school anime.
Old 2013-06-01, 19:20   Link #14
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
I've only worked on two episodes in regards to fansubs. My start in translating began with first a failed attempt to fansub, developing my skills through scanlations, venturing into visual novel translations, then lending a friend a hand with two episodes of Sumomo Mo Momo Mo.

I decided to try my hand a fan-translations during my first year at uni. Prior to that, I had studied Japanese as an elective subject in high school and the last two years of primary school. Feeling over confident because I could understand a few lines of what was being said in anime, I initially offered my services to fansubbers because I loved the work they do and wished to also contribute. But my first assigned task was to translate the OP/ED for Tsubasa Chronicles for Live-Evil, I realised that it was beyond my skill level, so I gave up on fansubs.

So I decided to try something a little easier, I offered my services to scanlators. Again, I bit off more than I can chew by agreeing to translate for 5 different groups at the same time (therefore 5 different manga). Fan-translating is done because you love something and want to share it, but out of those many projects I took up, only one of them I found interesting: Rabuyan (Love-yan). But I was still out of my depth, so I decided to drop project that I didn't find interesting and projects that were too difficult for me.

Eventually I joined the scanalation group Kawaii-Heavens. They wanted someone to translate the manga for Shuffle! for which I enjoyed the anime, so I jumped on the chance. My task was to translate from chapter 1. I thought it would be a piece of cake because the first two chapters had already been done by KnK so I could refer to them if I got stuck. However, I found that there were several translation errors in the KnK scanlation. I ended up working on several projects for Kawaii-Heavens, coincidently we also worked on manga for Fate Stay Night, Utawarerumono (my personal favourite) and Happiness! We unknowingly became the scanlators for manga adaptations of anime adaptation of eroge. I had a lot of fun working with the team at Kawaii Heavens, but because we were all 18+, real life took up more and more of our time until we just had no more time to scanlate.

After translating many chapters for Kawaii Heavens, out of great love for Utawarerumono, myself and other like-minded individuals decided to try to translate the UtaMono PC game under the Soylations banner. While it wasn't really out of my depth, it was taking me a long time to translate the game, so I took on other tasks while someone else whom what much more fluent in Japanese took over the translation.

Some of the friends I met and worked with at Soylations decided to make their own fansub group translating anime to German, starting with Sumomo Mo Momo Mo. The first 24 episodes had already been fansubbed to English, so they just translated from English to German and asked me to translate a few signs that were left out, which was easy enough for me. However, the OVAs episodes 25 and 26 were not yet translated in English. I was very hesitant and tried to refuse because translating anime is still beyond my ability. Eventually I did agree to help and gave it my best. But at I said before, anime is beyond my ability, so I was left with many lines that I just could not make out. I asked for help on this very forum, and I do apologise for not remembering the name of the person who helped me fill in the blanks, but it was very much appreciated.

I probably never will attempt to translate anime again as I simply don't have the ear for it. Heck, I can barely understand what the lyrics are in many English songs. I would love to get back into translating manga again, finish off Shuffle! and Utawarerumono, but sadly I just don't have the time for that anymore.

TL: DR I got into fan-translations because I love anime and manga and wanted to share and contribute to the community that fuelled my obsession.
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 04:57   Link #15
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

At first, to pay back to the community.

Now, to make older shows or Drama CD that no one else bothers with available to others. And for the social life in the groups
Old 2013-06-08, 11:56   Link #16
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Because people keep bugging me to edit things for them >.>
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 14:24   Link #17
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

I did it initially as "something to do" and in the end it became a useful way to learn from others when I was learning more basic Japanese.

Fizzled out once the professional subbing took flight although still aspire to go back and do some older series if I could garner the interest.
Old 2013-06-10, 19:52   Link #18
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Started subbing to help out a group whose releases I preferred even though they had a growing number of obvious grammatical errors.

Continued subbing first because I wanted to be a provider instead of a consumer and later just as a pastime/obligation. I'm happy to be an ex-fansubber now. When I do manage to try and do any little personal projects, I can barely stand to spend more than a few minutes in Aegisub. But honestly, no one else is going to re-time/re-edit The Man Who Stole the Sun, so I'll get around to it someday, even if I really only care for the badass car chase. I'll never get around to doing more than the one episode of the Koutetsushin Jeeg BDs.
Old 2013-06-13, 07:52   Link #19
xland44
Otaku

This may not be the correct thread for this question, but from my guess a fansubber is someone that makes unofficial subs. Is there such a thing as a fandubber?
xland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 09:27   Link #20
rarely_upset
really cool guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xland44 View Post
This may not be the correct thread for this question, but from my guess a fansubber is someone that makes unofficial subs. Is there such a thing as a fandubber?
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fandub

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fandub

No.