AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!!x2 Shou - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 4 17.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 56.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 21.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-03-28, 19:05   Link #21
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Izaya's survived scuffles with Shizuo. (Ok, it was mostly by running away, but still. See how running away worked out for Vorona.)
You mean massive use of traps.
That's how Izaya's "running away" from Shizuo works.
Old 2015-03-28, 20:49   Link #22
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

It was a very nice episode. I can't tell if Mikado is going through a good or bad route but it was fun entertaining how he wanted to change the Dollars
Old 2015-03-28, 20:59   Link #23
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

REVENGE IS BEST A DISH SERVED COLD.

To me, it was a rather satisfactory ending. Ikebukuro's newbies clearly underestimated how the pros do it. They didn't think that Rokujou and Kadota would form an informal truce, silencing the fury of the Toramaru gang. They didn't think that the strongest monster in Ikebukuro is a human. They didn't think that Shizuo is so unpredictable that his mere presence can throw off seemingly perfect plans.

As expected, those who made those fatal mistakes ended up in the trash bin.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2015-03-28, 21:35   Link #24
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This episode seemed to mark the turning point for Mikado's character. Nothing will ever be the same for him anymore. I can see him heading down a very dark path.
Somebody needs to make a shirt with Mikado on it in the style of the Scarface shirts rappers wear.
Old 2015-03-28, 22:10   Link #25
Iron Maw
Banned

The was pretty much THE EPISODE I wanted to see the most when I heard this arc was getting animated.

And I damn one hell of a chiffhanger.

-I..I-I suddenly want car soccer to be a real sport after seeing this episode. Narita the stuff you come with up is freaking nuts, and love you for it. Ouch to the one guy who had his arm destroyed though.

-So Shizuo quits the Dollars, unexpected, but makes sense for his character to do so.

-loli route unlocked for Shizuo, well Celty picked up on the hints, even Shizuo probably never will.

-Well there you have it, Anri's actually a Flame Haze. Seriously, is nobody the least perturbed that she running around with a katana to begin with? Nah, let's just molest her instead, it's really good thing Kadota is there.

-So it turns out that Akane's father Mikiya was the one behind the murder of 3 Awakusu-kai's men and he hired Slon for the job. Surprisingly those guys were actually spies for 3 other organizations: 1) the Asuki group who Awakusu is having tension with, and undercover cop and one foreigner. Mikiya had also to use the murders to frame Asuki group, but Izaya screwed that all up, by using that to frame Shizuo.

-Awakusu finally shows why they are feared, by taking down two military trained assassins with minimal effort. It's safe to say Vorona won't ever find Ikebukuro boring again, not after these last two days of seemingly spontaneous violence and abnormalities running around the place.

-Rocchi, you said the worse thing you could have to said him at that moment (despite not intending to), this pretty much the tipping point.

-Finally Mikado's character development comes full circle. The "pen" scene was quite well done. One way or another the shoe on other foot would drop at one point. The path Mikado choose could very well lead to corruption, but he at least doing on his own terms and ideals, nobody else. Even if those ideals have changed a bit due to as culmination of everything that had happened. It will be interesting to how his own "house cleaning" will go form here and how his change factors into where the Dollars go from now. One thing for sure, Aoba and Blue Squares had completely underestimated what kind of person he is. The same kind of person who orchestrated a plan to comforted Namie back in season 1, and the same one who showed Celty that not everybody has same fear of her.

-....Speaking of someone else who got their just deserts, so Izaya got punched into a billboard at end of last season and now he gets stabbed? Can't say he doesn't deserve of course for the shit puts everyone through. But this Yodogiri guy is coming across more and more dangerous as well as mysterious. He like many others may have deeper relations with people within cast then we realize.

As much as this episode served as resolution to the current events, I felt it's even more for a new beginning of things to come. This applies someone like Izaya too. So while the adaptation wasn't perfect and I think Shuka did a really good job overall in keeping with spirit of novels and as they did in the first season.

Can't it wait for July!

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-03-29 at 03:01.
Old 2015-03-29, 02:42   Link #26
MasterVampire

Serves you right Izaya
Old 2015-03-29, 02:55   Link #27
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

Well ... all of the badasses i know from the anime , all of them have a loli . Now it`s Shizuo turn ))
Spoiler for Question for LN Readers:
Old 2015-03-29, 03:28   Link #28
Iron Maw
Banned

^ Gonna PM you... but you should really ask that kind of question in the LN or the Q &A threads in the future.
Old 2015-03-29, 04:06   Link #29
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So finally the Russian Assassins realise that while this Ikebukuro seems "fun", they're going about this all wrong and got in way over their heads.

This season was the first time the yakuza became somewhat active, and as it turns out they actually are on a whole different level from those color gangs (as they should be).

Even Izaya is no match for them, apparently. Seriously that thing at the end kind of felt like Izaya was a kid trying to play around in an adult world.
Old 2015-03-29, 10:30   Link #30
teja208
Critical fanboy

Finally, some much needed development from Mikado. I don't read the LN, but I do get spoiled with the stabby, stabby part. The scene was swift but Mikado's expression was nailed down for me. I do feel for him for the anguish he went through in these past few episodes: being in such a useless, helpless, powerless position just because he is so ordinary. Unlike other characters who has supernatural power, super strength, head of the gang and whatnot he is a complete normal teenage boy up till now (being Dollar founder doesn't count), so there is little he can achieve which leads him desiring power in order to make things go his way. I can see that his obsession with power may corrupt him in some way. I'll be looking forward to see where he will end up in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Mikado finally realizes how much of a tool he has been this entire time. With no motivations to do anything outside his ordinary life, how could he even hope to be truly in the world he wanted to live in? Surprised he actually had the balls to stab someone with a pen without hesitation. Chikage really woke him up to the reality of his situation. Hopefully we'll get to see this so-called "dangerous" side of him that everyone seems to say he has, since up to this point, he's been a bland, boring character that has no power. Will be expecting good things from him..
I can see where you're coming from, and I do agree to some extent. It's ironic that even though you dislike his character, he does share you pain as apparently he's feeling sick and tired of his boring ordinary self which is the reason why he was left behind by everyone else in this city. From him having no regret over breaking his "best friend" promise and then his smiles at the end, he's clearly happy about it: taking his first step in his pursuit for power and all that.

Last edited by teja208; 2015-03-29 at 11:10.
Old 2015-03-29, 11:15   Link #31
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

-So Shizuo quits the Dollars, unexpected, but makes sense for his character to do so.

-loli route unlocked for Shizuo, well Celty picked up on the hints, even Shizuo probably never will.
Shizuo is a Onee-san type remember. Meaning he likes women older than him.

Do note Akane stated in the present progressive tense she is still trying to kill Shizuo.

Hope Akane does not become another Saika obsessed with Shizuo.
Old 2015-03-29, 11:49   Link #32
Kallen4life

Quote:
Shizuo is a Onee-san type remember. Meaning he likes women older than him.
where did you get that from ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2015-03-29, 12:37   Link #33
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
where did you get that from ?
Season 1 when we get his back story on getting stronger. He liked a woman who was running a store when he was a kid. Some guys were harassing her. He beat them up but the woman got hurt too.
Old 2015-03-29, 14:30   Link #34
DorkingtonPugsly

I've always seen this arc as the one that finishes the first light half of the series and begins the latter dark half. An intermedium. So I was looking forward to it but not nearly as much as the rest of the story. July is going to take a while to get here...
Old 2015-03-29, 14:39   Link #35
Miraluka
Banned

No, Reddy, Shizuo likes the type of girls who fit the Onee-san archtype. No that he likes them older than him.
Old 2015-03-29, 15:22   Link #36
rladls2121

Using the car as a soccer ball.
Old 2015-03-29, 16:47   Link #37
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
I can see where you're coming from, and I do agree to some extent. It's ironic that even though you dislike his character, he does share you pain as apparently he's feeling sick and tired of his boring ordinary self which is the reason why he was left behind by everyone else in this city. From him having no regret over breaking his "best friend" promise and then his smiles at the end, he's clearly happy about it: taking his first step in his pursuit for power and all that.
I'm not sure why people are calling Mikado a self-insert. I don't even think that term even existed when DRRR novels and anime came out. Mikado is (at least initially) most normal person in the cast because he has least eccentric attributes on the surface. That doesn't make him a stand-in for the reader, just more relatable than some other members of the cast. Otherwise that kind of character really doesn't exist in a Nartia story.

Also feel that irony here is despite how Mikado's feels about himself, he's actually already one of the extraordinary. It's similar to irony of how Celty is more human than most of cast despite her inhuman nature. DRRR's meta layers are full of all kinds of stuff like that.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-03-29 at 17:45.
Old 2015-03-29, 18:12   Link #38
JiCi

Spoiler for Wait... what?:
Old 2015-03-29, 18:35   Link #39
Mubyoshi

Dammit, I don't want to wait till July!!! Anyone else as confused as me about this anime? There's so many names thrown around I can't even keep track of them all, nonetheless this anime is still very entertaining!
Old 2015-03-29, 19:17   Link #40
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiCi View Post
Spoiler for Wait... what?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervous_laughter
Quote:
Nervous laughter is laughter evoked from an audience's expression of embarrassment, alarm, discomfort or confusion, rather than amusement. Nervous laughter is usually less robust in expression than "a good belly laugh", and may be combined with confused glances or awkward silence on the part of others in the audience. Nervous laughter is considered analogous to a courtesy laugh, which may be rendered by more of a conscious effort in an attempt to move a situation along more quickly, especially when the comedian is pausing for laughter.

Nervous laughter is a physical reaction to stress, tension, confusion, or anxiety. Neuroscientist Vilayanur S. Ramachandran states "We have nervous laughter because we want to make ourselves think what horrible thing we encountered isn't really as horrible as it appears, something we want to believe." Those are the most embarrassing times, too, naturally.[1] Psychologist and neuroscientist Robert Provine, from the University of Maryland, studied over 1,200 "laughter episodes" and determined that 80% of laughter isn't a response to an intentional joke.[2]

Unhealthy or "nervous" laughter comes from the throat. This nervous laughter is not true laughter, but an expression of tension and anxiety. Instead of relaxing a person, nervous laughter tightens them up even further. Much of this nervous laughter is produced in times of high emotional stress, especially during times where an individual is afraid they might harm another person in various ways, such as a person's feelings or even physically.[3]

People laugh when they need to project dignity and control during times of stress and anxiety. In these situations we usually laugh in a subconscious attempt to reduce stress and calm down, however, it often works otherwise. Nervous laughter is often considered fake laughter and even heightens the awkwardness of the situation.[4]

People may laugh nervously when exposed to stress due to witnessing others' pain. For instance, in Stanley Milgram's obedience experiment, subjects ("teachers") were told to shock "learners" every time the learners answered a question incorrectly. Although the "learners" were not actually shocked, the subjects believed they were. As they were going through the study, many of the "subjects showed signs of extreme tension and conflict".[5] Milgram observed some subjects laughing nervously when they heard the "learners'" false screams of pain. In A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness, neuroscientist V.S. Ramachandran suggests that laughter is used as a defense mechanism used to guard against overwhelming anxiety. Laughter often diminishes the suffering associated with a traumatic event.[3]

If the individual is shy or bashful and appears nervous when talking, he or she is likely to exhibit nervous laughter. Individuals who are shy and introverted who find themselves the center of conversational attention often become “giddy” with nervous laughter; this is a subconscious response caused by the brain over-thinking due to social anxiety or inexperience.[6]
Closed Thread