3 out of 10 : Bad 6 11.11%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-09-25, 12:58   Link #41
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
I liked that that all three characters confessed but I didn't like too much that Mirage practically had to do it to encourage Freyja to do it as well. The little flashbacks when everyone were being connected to the fold network were good, my favorite was Mirage's, ugh such a good character wasted in this series by some mediocre writers, she really feels like an afterthought to fill a role they needed and her character deserves better (IF there's a movie I really hope she gets a moment to shine and an actual character arc).
Mirage's role amounted to what I feared: triangle third wheel filler. Although honestly it's not like anyone who isn't a Windermerian or Mikumo had any say in the plot of Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
I laughed when the windermereans were surprised that Roid was a traitor, I mean really? specially Keith, after all he discovered he just went along with Roid's plans so I saw fitting that both died together,
Keith knew Roid was hiding something but didn't know what and trusted him. Roid was the person who became his family when he felt he had no one as a child. He felt he was sincere with his feelings, so he wanted to believe in him (that gave him more complexity because it conflicted with his loyalty to Windermere). He had to finish him in the end, just as I predicted for a while... the whole thing was building to Keith killing Roid since episode 15. Pretty much, this was probably one of the better written plot arc of all because it was gradually developed in a fairly realistic way.

The rest of the Aerial Knights were pretty oblivious except for Herman and Cassim (but neither suspected just how far has Roid fallen). Herman only suspected he lied about Gramia's will. You have to keep in mind the twins and Bogue are just teenagers, who are angry and led by their emotions (they are 15-16, iirc), so they are easily manipulated by crafty people. Remember how Alto, Klan and Luca blindly followed Leon's villainous plans in Frontier? It's the same thing. Only in the very last episode Alto got a clue.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 13:36   Link #42
HirouKeimou

You know, now that I think about it: Isn't Freyja rescuing Mikumo from her brainwashing finishing up her arc from the earlier episodes where she intended to show Mikumo how serious she is about singing?

And also, Ami Koshimizu (voice of Mikumo), does a splendid job in this episode. Because when she confesses she wishes to sing with them, her voice breaks for a moment prior to saying her typical catchphrase. To be honest, it's that moment where it feels like the Mikumo/Freyja arc is closed where I nearly shed a tear (gave me vibes of Sheryl/Ranka from Frontier there).
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 13:43   Link #43
Thess

No, I agree. That was my favorite part of the episode because I just love Walkure that much.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-09-25, 14:26   Link #44
dmaxzero

Meh. Forgettable Macross show.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 14:41   Link #45
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

So, the entire Delta to me is just portraying how Japan should have won WW2. Just take over China, a few islands, and then kill off the generals who wanted more war and sue for peace while Japan is still ahead. That allow Japan to keep all its territories, same as with Windermere seemingly keeping ownership of the planets they have taken.

Bravo. The first pro-war Macross TV series.
Old 2016-09-25, 14:47   Link #46
magnuskn

Yeeaaah, as soon as the subs are out and the general impressions thread is up, I'm taking out a few hours of my time to write up my thoughts on the series. Hint: Not good.
Old 2016-09-25, 14:50   Link #47
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So, the entire Delta to me is just portraying how Japan should have won WW2. Just take over China, a few islands, and then kill off the generals who wanted more war and sue for peace while Japan is still ahead. That allow Japan to keep all its territories, same as with Windermere seemingly keeping ownership of the planets they have taken.

Bravo. The first pro-war Macross TV series.
No, you just missed the entire point of Macross Delta. It could have been better executed, sure, but the message is loud and clear anti war and pro-peace. I'm not even sure why you keep comparing it to Japan. Windermere never had Imperialistic ambitions over territories as their goal, you misunderstood their motivations and their culture since the beginning. It's no surprise you're disappointed instead of saying "i told you so".

Old 2016-09-25, 15:00   Link #48
FlamingMangos

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeeaaah, as soon as the subs are out and the general impressions thread is up, I'm taking out a few hours of my time to write up my thoughts on the series. Hint: Not good.
Let me guess. It's because Mirage lost? Really unfortunate for you bro.
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 15:04   Link #49
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingMangos View Post
Hah, no. I had no interest in the romance for quite some time now, since it was such a nothingburger in this show. I'm actually quite happy that Mirage has escaped from being tied up with such a bad character as Hayate and I hope she goes on to greater things.

No, my problem with this show that it is one of superficialities, storylines which go nowhere, ideas which are not thought out well and were never meant to finish properly.
Old 2016-09-25, 15:09   Link #50
Thess

I think the main problem with Macross Delta is that it should have been called Macross Windermere. Don't get me wrong, I love sweet vindication and validation in general about the message and the overall outcome however it does confirm that Delta Squad in general were... pointless. That I find a little problematic because huh, they are the protagonists, right? Right?

Freyja solved the singing plot, saving Mikumo. Keith killed the antagonist (who was Roid). Heinz ended the war on his own will (not because anything Ernest or Arad did). Even random saving singers action scene went to Bogue (wow Mirage and Chuck really suck to protect the idols they were assigned to, huh?). In short, if you weren't a Windermerian, you were just an extra in the story. Hayate, the main character, seemed more Freyja's love interest. Just my impression here. I'm not saying I hate this, but I can see why some people could have been upset?

(On the other hand, you can argue it was foreshadowed when the first things introduced in the show were the Aerial Knights and Walkure. The Delta squad pilots were unseen ).

Ohhh, by the way, Kaname's most important memory was about Messer. That made me happy. Death and Arad didn't stop my OTP.

Old 2016-09-25, 15:21   Link #51
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
You actually cared about the romance in this series?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 15:23   Link #52
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Hey. Kaname and Messer could have been a great couple.

Old 2016-09-25, 15:24   Link #53
FlamingMangos

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hah, no. I had no interest in the romance for quite some time now, since it was such a nothingburger in this show. I'm actually quite happy that Mirage has escaped from being tied up with such a bad character as Hayate and I hope she goes on to greater things.

No, my problem with this show that it is one of superficialities, storylines which go nowhere, ideas which are not thought out well and were never meant to finish properly.
I don't know man. I think people would say Mirage is a bad character since she's not well written.

Quote:

- Tak
I'm pretty sure if you have been following these threads daily. You can see a lot of people caring about it so, why is it a surprise? I mean, I wouldn't even check these threads if no one talked about the romance which is why I avoid macross world forums. It's also a macross series known for the love triangles but I guess this one is less of a love triangle.
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 15:27   Link #54
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Dude, are you not reading this forum?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 15:28   Link #55
magnuskn

Quote:
I don't know man. I think people would say Mirage is a bad character since she's not well written.
Yeah, she could have gotten a more assertive personality, but if you view her as a supporting character instead of one of the main protagonists, she does pretty great. Her and Mikumo are the only two characters in this entire show I do gave something about in the end.
Old 2016-09-25, 15:30   Link #56
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Dude, are you not reading this forum?
Well, tbh, no.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2016-09-25, 15:30   Link #57
Thess

Officially, though, Mirage's not a supporting character. She's billed as third in the credits. However there's no doubt Keith has always been more main character than Mirage, despite all the pretense.

Old 2016-09-25, 15:32   Link #58
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Officially, though, Mirage's not a supporting character. She's billed as third in the credits. However there's no doubt Keith has always been more main character than Mirage, despite all the pretense.
And they apparently kept this up the first moment I complained about it to the very end of this series.

- Tak

Old 2016-09-25, 15:32   Link #59
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Well, tbh, no.
That explains it, then.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 15:34   Link #60
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
That explains it, then.
I have to admit, I got lost in about episode 15 or so and subsequently lost interest. But now that everything is here, I should rewatch this for a better comprehension.

- Tak