AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-24, 18:16   Link #441
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

Considering the effect of Karin's bite...that will be a lot of sex.

Edit: And the hentai doujins write themselves...
riznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 02:24   Link #442
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Well, there's the "Vampires are always metaphors for sex" level, and then there's the ... slow ... erotic ... build ... up .... to ..... the .... bite .... with .... lots .... of ..... drawn ..... out ..... sighs .... and ..... grunts level.
Yes, yes. That's known as foreplay. Some people argue (quite successfully) that vampires are almost entirely foreplay, hence their strong popularity with women.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 02:57   Link #443
Imion
Bakabakabaka! >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Yes, yes. That's known as foreplay. Some people argue (quite successfully) that vampires are almost entirely foreplay, hence their strong popularity with women.

Isn't that popularity more based on their "powers" than on general ... err... lets call it charisma?
Like Ren.. he obviously uses his powers first and afterwards the women become his willing, desperate toys.

I usualy wonder, why people get so excited whenever vampires suck their blood though. (see various movies, animes etc. People actualy screaming in fear or such are very rare...) True, it's the general sex metaphor, but what's the point of getting orgasms from beeing bitten?
Having the sex metaphor thingie in mind you'd expect the vampire to grin satisfied after sucking blood (which is what they usualy do), smoking a cig, asking "Was it good for you, honey?"
Imion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 03:05   Link #444
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imion
Isn't that popularity more based on their "powers" than on general ... err... lets call it charisma?
Like Ren.. he obviously uses his powers first and afterwards the women become his willing, desperate toys.

I usualy wonder, why people get so excited whenever vampires suck their blood though. (see various movies, animes etc. People actualy screaming in fear or such are very rare...) True, it's the general sex metaphor, but what's the point of getting orgasms from beeing bitten?
Having the sex metaphor thingie in mind you'd expect the vampire to grin satisfied after sucking blood (which is what they usualy do), smoking a cig, asking "Was it good for you, honey?"
Well, in most roleplaying games, movies, etc etc, vampire victims are either willing, immobilized, charmed or outright dominated. So, however they might behave or feel can be attributed to the vampire's power to enslave his victim's mind.
Old 2006-03-25, 03:12   Link #445
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Well, in most roleplaying games, movies, etc etc, vampire victims are either willing, immobilized, charmed or outright dominated. So, however they might behave or feel can be attributed to the vampire's power to enslave his victim's mind.
Ah good point. I had almost forgotten about the "no guilt" factor. Since the vampire has mind control, the victim doesn't need to feel guilty. It wasn't the victim's fault and everything can safely be blamed on the vampire without any personal responsibility.

Ren certainly has that going for him, though of course Karin lacks the mind powers. This means that Usui will have to take responsibility for his part which is of course appropriate since not wanting to feel responsible for sex is largely a feminine fantasy. (Resulting from a sexually repressive patriarchal culture.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 06:52   Link #446
yura`

i don't know if i'm allowed to ask this: but i'm just wondering where can you find the manga for Karin (if there are any downloads for it online?)
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 06:55   Link #447
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well I don't think it's licenced, but I'm not aware of someone who translates it (except for one or two groups and then only one volume). Other than, I don't know, you could probably search for original scans.

Edit: Oh... Didn't know that

Last edited by npal; 2006-03-25 at 09:42.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 09:33   Link #448
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Karin manga is licensed by Tokyopo under the name 'Chibi Vampire',
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 09:49   Link #449
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
...gracias Kamichama Karin, licensed by same.

Tokyopop probably changed the name to disambiguate between the two...
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 10:06   Link #450
SonicMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
Yep. Here is a link to the really terrible tokyopop page for the Karin manga:

http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?p...productid=3684

I love the character page for Karin

Quote:
Karin Maka
She's not like other girls!
Duuuurr..... ok.

I have a feeling that this will eventually turn out to be yet another case where the fansub'd anime show ends up being much more enjoyable than the translated original work. Oddly enough every other case where I have been a little bit dissapointed was also at the hands of Tokyopop... so go figure. I'm not kidding about this, Tokyopop is so bad that sometimes they get the names of the characters in their manga screwed up between volumes

Honestly sometimes I think I would be happier if either I worked on my japanese skills so that I could read everything correctly myself without having to use a dictionary all the time, or if I just didn't bother and used my ignorance of the source material as a ward against terrible comercial U.S. manga translations.

Lol... sorry for the sideways direction of the thread. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion on how annoying Winner-kun is ^_^
SonicMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 10:09   Link #451
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Eh.... bleeds once a month???? They must get their facts straight, what do they think Karin is? Does she get pregnant when she bites people, too?

And I agree about the character info. That company should close
Old 2006-03-25, 11:23   Link #452
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Tokyopoo seems to be a great company
Old 2006-03-25, 12:31   Link #453
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMonkey
Yep. Here is a link to the really terrible tokyopop page for the Karin manga:
SonicMonkey, I think "really terrible tokyopop page" may be the biggest understatement I've seen so far this year. The presentation and information on that site was truly pathetic. I wonder if they have anyone on staff who took a course in marketing or advertising? Judging from what I saw, I doubt anyone there has even read a newspaper article on the subject. If their promotional work is any indication of how they will be treating the manga, I am probably going to have to give the manga a pass. I'm just happy that I found out about the anime long before this!
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 14:19   Link #454
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
...gracias Kamichama Karin, licensed by same.

Tokyopop probably changed the name to disambiguate between the two...
They did, their editor came out and said it in an interview (I think) at newsarama.

EDIT: I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks how well it's done since I preordered it.
Old 2006-03-25, 15:24   Link #455
SonicMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Eh.... bleeds once a month???? They must get their facts straight, what do they think Karin is? Does she get pregnant when she bites people, too?
Ha ha! I caught that too. I couldn't help but think to myself that her PNS (pre-nosebleed syndrome) must be a real bitch to deal with. I pity Usai.

That and the image of double tampax shoved up the schnoz really did me in.
SonicMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 02:31   Link #456
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tokyopop isn't by definition so bad... but it entirely depends on the translator as to whether it is going to suck or not. I'm going through the Tsukuyomi Moon Phase Tokyopop release and comparing to the original JP .... finding some eyebrow raising oddities but nothing that *really* screws up the intent just yet.

So.... dunno --- I actually kind of liked TMP anime better than the manga (manga is okay just a lot darker and more evil ).

As far as "Chibi Vampire" goes.... what a lame re-title. Sounds like they pulled it out of a hat. Come on.... the audience isn't THAT stupid to get confused tween "Kamichama Karin" and, say, "Karin the Vampire" or "Unvampire" or "Little Vampire" ....

Cheesiest use of "chibi" Of The Year....
Old 2006-03-26, 09:32   Link #457
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Episode 18....

ZOMG BEST EP EVAR! XD

j/k but it was still pretty good. Blushing Ren, yeah that's almost as good as blushing Takuto Kira. ALMOST.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2006-03-26 at 21:19.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 09:35   Link #458
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Ren's Marimite episode was priceless. I couldn't stop laughing. It was even better than "Baaa-chan" first episode.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 09:42   Link #459
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
Episode 17....
I think you meant 18.

Anyways...wow. This is the first time I've watch an episode of anime that is full-fletched Shounen-ai content, and...I didnt get as disturbed as most people (male) seemed to react to similar material.

And the last part of the episode was creepy/funny(depends on how you look at it).
Spoiler:
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 09:57   Link #460
hailstorm

Lots of yaoi goodness in Karin episode 18. 

And wtf is a 'gay tea party'? 6:21 of afk's sub. I heard 戯れに開いたティーパーティ。。。
hailstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen