AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-04-28, 08:54   Link #1
Saint rider 890
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Do you think female who support protagonist more popular than female main protagonist

Do you think female protagonist who is support main protagonist get more popular than female main protagonist. For example when there topic about who is your favorite female protagonist some people say is saber , rin , mikasa , tohka , rias and etc ( as long she support protagonist ) meanwhile female main protagonist just like balsa , birdy , and the other who is main protagonist female get less popular .

So my question

1. Do you think current female main protagonist get less popular than current female protagonist who support main protagonist ?

2. Are people prefer female protagonist who have personality tsundere , kundere , yandere , dandere as long she is support true protagonist who overcome challange than female main protagonist who trying overcome challange for example just like Ryuko , Alita , Birdy , Clare , Yona ? .

I mean for example when there some people favorite female protagonist in every year who win is always female protagonist who support true protagonist indeed female main protagonist herself.

I know this is weird topic so i want to know what do you think about this ?

Last edited by Saint rider 890; 2016-05-07 at 06:18.
Saint rider 890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 12:43   Link #2
VORTIA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
It's a pretty big assumption to assert that people like female characters simply for supporting a male protagonist. Most of the examples of female characters you list as non-supporting personalities are from shows that aren't nearly as popular as the Fate series & Shingeki no Kyojin. It's only natural that someone from a relatively less well-known series like Akatsuki no Yona isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as a character from Fate/Stay Night.

Similarly, you have to ask yourself what your measure of popularity is. What metric are you using? Kill La Kill was overwhelmingly popular with Western anime fans, and most of them express admiration for Ryuko. Those fans aren't the type who are interested in anime character beauty pagents like Saimoe, though, and Ryuko hardly portrays character traits traditionally considered moe, so it's no surprise she wouldn't rank highly in that environment.

Where does Mikoto Misaka, a.k.a. Railgun fall on your assessment? She's an extremely popular character. While she stars opposite Toma, she's never been portrayed as the type that plays second-fiddle to anyone, and she's most popular for her go-get 'em, lone gunwoman style vigilante activities.

I think you need to assess your criteria more. The characters you list as more popular are more popular because they star in more popular series or because they possess personality quirks that folks find charming or moe. Those who you indicate are "less popular" are usually from older or more obscure series, and appeal to the more action & plot focused members of the fandom who are less likely to take part in things like buying character goods and participating in online popularity polls.
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 12:50   Link #3
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
No offense but I'm not really sure what you're saying exactly...

I'd imagine that the female protagionists that are more in support roles, like Orihime from Bleach for example, are probably more popular in Japan due to sex appeal and whether fanboys can purchase merchandise. But then again, I'm not Japanese, so I have no clue, other than sex sells.

I know in the West, characters like Ryuko and Satsuki and even Mikasa from AoT are popular because they kick ass.
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 14:39   Link #4
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
Those popular 2nd lead girls just happened to be in popular anime. Balsa is great but Seirei wasn't all that popular if I recall correctly though it was really good. Yona wasn't all that popular neither. I thought it was boring as heck.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 07:30   Link #5
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 View Post
Do you think female protagonist who is support main protagonist get more popular than female main protagonist. For example when there topic about who is your favorite female protagonist some people say is saber , rin , mikasa , tohka , rias and etc ( as long she support protagonist ) meanwhile female main protagonist just like balsa , birdy , and the other who is main protagonist female get less popular .

So my question

1. Do you think current female main protagonist get less popular than current female protagonist who support main protagonist ?

2. Are people prefer female protagonist who have personality tsundere , kundere , yandere , dandere than female who trying overcome challange for example just like Ryuko , Alita , Birdy , Clare , Yona ? .

I mean for example when there some people favorite female protagonist in every year who win is always female protagonist who support true protagonist indeed female main protagonist herself.

I know this is weird topic so i want to know what do you think about this ?
Honestly you have to use poll to back up your argument here. I feel it's just a too general feminist stereotype of "men who don't like women who lead" and the assumption that "most anime viewers are men".

For example your argument is mostly false in my case. My favorite female characters for my top shows are as below:
  • Haruhi Suzumiya (SHnY): very untrue as Kyon is the one who was led around by her
  • Shinka Nibutani (chu2): she is the only one who close to overcame her chu2 problem in the group, despite failed from time to time
  • Kyonko Sakura (Madoka): tsundere , yes. Strong and independent character. Yes. There to support protagonist? Not really
  • Rin (Usagi Drop): hmm... not applicable I guess?
  • Mediator (Humanity has declined): she is the one who led the whole new human race
  • Ika Musume: the only main lead
  • Torako (Hyakko): the main lead
  • Mio (Higurashi): yeah, you can count this one in
  • Kanbaru (Hanamonogatari): the main lead, she has too little screen time in the main show in comparision
  • Kurumi (School-live): more like the main lead leech from her
  • Marika (Mouretsu Pirates): main lead
  • Youko (12 Kingdoms): no, absolutely not. She is the opposite of everything you described
  • Kuro (illiya): maybe? Ish? 1/2?

So out of 13 of my favourite anime ranged from action, comedy, SoL, thriller, drama. We got 1.5 out 13 (11%) fit your description, which probably can disprove your assumption for my case.

Next, look at top 10 best-selling anime of all time in order. What do we have?
  1. Bakemonogatari (have female main heroine fit your description)
  2. Madoka (not)
  3. Gundam Seed (fit)
  4. Love Live (not)
  5. Fate (fit)
  6. Shingeki (not)
  7. Macross Frontier (fit)
  8. Code geass (fit)
  9. K-on (not)
  10. Haruhi (not)
So even this showed a 50-50
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2016-05-05 at 07:46.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 18:10   Link #6
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 765 of 346 Otonokizaka
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So out of 13 of my favourite anime ranged from action, comedy, SoL, thriller, drama. We got 1.5 out 13 (11%) fit your description, which probably can disprove your assumption for my case.

Next, look at top 10 best-selling anime of all time in order. What do we have?
  1. Bakemonogatari (have female main heroine fit your description)
  2. Madoka (not)
  3. Gundam Seed (fit)
  4. Love Live (not)
  5. Fate (fit)
  6. Shingeki (not)
  7. Macross Frontier (fit)
  8. Code geass (fit)
  9. K-on (not)
  10. Haruhi (not)
So even this showed a 50-50
Yeah about that...Homura is the most popular character from the series and her entire story revolves around Madoka. Just saying

I'd like to see these sales figures though. Not that I don't believe it, but because I want to brag about it to others
__________________
Heil Muse. Bow before the Cinderella GirlsMuses are red
Cinderellas are blue
FAITODAYO
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 18:38   Link #7
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 31
I like Rin more than I like Balsa and to a lesser extent Yona. On the other hand, I like Mami from Madoka Magica about the same amount I like Rin and I wish that Rin had a far bigger role in Fate/Stay Night - and I don't think I'm the only one who holds that opinion as I think a large chunk of Rin's appeal is her action girl cred. (Also, Saber didn't get really interesting to me until she started hanging around with Irisviel in Fate/Zero. That was fun.)

Turning to the broader picture, I think there's a lot of guys out there like me who watch many anime as much for the romance as for the main plotline, and that a lot of shows have male protagonists because of that. As I alluded to in my discussion of Fate/Stay Night above, sometimes shows go further and sideline their female characters in favour of this protagonist, which I personally find annoying. On the other hand, there are some female lead shows that are very popular even in the action and fantasy genres, such as Madoka Magica and Railgun. So I'm inclined to say the glass is half full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Yeah about that...Homura is the most popular character from the series and her entire story revolves around Madoka. Just saying

I'd like to see these sales figures though. Not that I don't believe it, but because I want to brag about it to others
Homura is certainly popular, but I think that's more to do with her powers being pretty cool than her stalkerish tendencies towards Madoka.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-06, 05:13   Link #8
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I think its 50-50, both kinds are popular.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 06:15   Link #9
Saint rider 890
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTIA View Post
It's a pretty big assumption to assert that people like female characters simply for supporting a male protagonist. Most of the examples of female characters you list as non-supporting personalities are from shows that aren't nearly as popular as the Fate series & Shingeki no Kyojin. It's only natural that someone from a relatively less well-known series like Akatsuki no Yona isn't going to be anywhere near as popular as a character from Fate/Stay Night.

Similarly, you have to ask yourself what your measure of popularity is. What metric are you using? Kill La Kill was overwhelmingly popular with Western anime fans, and most of them express admiration for Ryuko. Those fans aren't the type who are interested in anime character beauty pagents like Saimoe, though, and Ryuko hardly portrays character traits traditionally considered moe, so it's no surprise she wouldn't rank highly in that environment.

Where does Mikoto Misaka, a.k.a. Railgun fall on your assessment? She's an extremely popular character. While she stars opposite Toma, she's never been portrayed as the type that plays second-fiddle to anyone, and she's most popular for her go-get 'em, lone gunwoman style vigilante activities.

I think you need to assess your criteria more. The characters you list as more popular are more popular because they star in more popular series or because they possess personality quirks that folks find charming or moe. Those who you indicate are "less popular" are usually from older or more obscure series, and appeal to the more action & plot focused members of the fandom who are less likely to take part in things like buying character goods and participating in online popularity polls.
Ah sorry i'm late to answer but mosly i'm agree with about you answers but do you think this current female protagonist who support true protagonist more popular than female main protagonist herself ?

Also you said some people more prefer waifu than her personality huh ? look like i'm just the only one who see female character as personality more than waifu who only act so cute to main protagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I like Rin more than I like Balsa and to a lesser extent Yona. On the other hand, I like Mami from Madoka Magica about the same amount I like Rin and I wish that Rin had a far bigger role in Fate/Stay Night - and I don't think I'm the only one who holds that opinion as I think a large chunk of Rin's appeal is her action girl cred. (Also, Saber didn't get really interesting to me until she started hanging around with Irisviel in Fate/Zero. That was fun.)

Turning to the broader picture, I think there's a lot of guys out there like me who watch many anime as much for the romance as for the main plotline, and that a lot of shows have male protagonists because of that. As I alluded to in my discussion of Fate/Stay Night above, sometimes shows go further and sideline their female characters in favour of this protagonist, which I personally find annoying. On the other hand, there are some female lead shows that are very popular even in the action and fantasy genres, such as Madoka Magica and Railgun. So I'm inclined to say the glass is half full.


Homura is certainly popular, but I think that's more to do with her powers being pretty cool than her stalkerish tendencies towards Madoka.
Nah even as your said i'm very confident that this year if there a some poll who is your favorite character i'm sure female protagonist who support main/true protagonist more popular than female main protagonist.

Also homura only more popular becauce she have cool power and trying to save madoka even is still failed but she is not my type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I think its 50-50, both kinds are popular.
How did you know ? if i remember in 2015 anime have so much female protagonist who support protagonist tham female main protagonist .

Also in this year the show about female protagonist who support protagonist than female main protagonist more mayority than female main protagonist.

Last edited by LKK; 2016-05-07 at 11:35. Reason: Posts merged. Use edit button instead of posting 3 times in a row.
Saint rider 890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 11:03   Link #10
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
popularity depends on who you are asking. Different target audience produce different results.
Male character rankings look very different in Newtype (male dominated readership) and say. Animage (female dominated readership)

But I think the word you are looking for is "agency" topic creator
agency is how influence a character has in regards to their own story
Also, there's a difference between being badass and having agency, and I think there's where people get confused.
Mikasa from Shingeki no Titan is badass, but she has very little agency.

But if you look at the current trend, you'll see there is as far as LIGHT NOVELS that get turned into anime go. you'll see a certain trend.
The trend is there is seemingly normal boy who off course, isn't normal at all, but rather a special snowflake or comes from a special snowflake background
..who than goes on to gradually goes on journey to gain the admiration of everyone else
The unsaid rule of this genre than becomes THOU SHALL NOT USURP THE MAIN CHARACTER FOR HE IS THY ONE AND ONLY GOD

If there are other character, they only seem to be there to make him look better
so of course it goes without saying that if you're a girl character in this kind of story than your options are usually very limited.
You are either a cheerleader, or a decoration, or something to help him define his masculinity.
and I don't like it.

Last edited by Key Board; 2016-05-07 at 11:26.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 13:22   Link #11
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 View Post
Nah even as your said i'm very confident that this year if there a some poll who is your favorite character i'm sure female protagonist who support main/true protagonist more popular than female main protagonist.
To me it sounded like you were asking not only whether female characters in supporting roles are more popular, but whether they are more popular because they are in supporting roles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 View Post
2. Are people prefer female protagonist who have personality tsundere , kundere , yandere , dandere as long she is support true protagonist who overcome challange than female main protagonist who trying overcome challange for example just like Ryuko , Alita , Birdy , Clare , Yona ?
And my response to that is not only do I like several female characters who are not playing a supporting role for a male protagonist - Mami being the obvious example - but there are actually several characters who I like less because I don't think they're given a big enough role in the story: for 2015,Rin (Unlimited Blade Works) and Stella (Chivalry of a Failed Knight) come to mind as examples.

So basically, being in a supporting role is not in itself a positive trait for me, and in fact can be a negative trait if taken too far.

However, I love cutesy romantic stuff and in practice, I find this kind of content is more common in shows with a male protagonist and supporting female, at least among action shows. That's why four of my top five female characters from action shows that aired in 2015 are in supporting roles, despite my docking two of them (again, Rin and Stella) points for not having a big enough role in the story.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 22:22   Link #12
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
It depends on how the supporting character is written: I don't mind cutesy poo characters because they can be funny but I don't like damsels in distress either.

Rin is supporting? I'd put her more as a costar with Shiro.
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 08:58   Link #13
VORTIA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 View Post
Ah sorry i'm late to answer but mosly i'm agree with about you answers but do you think this current female protagonist who support true protagonist more popular than female main protagonist herself ?
No, I think both are popular with their own subset of anime fandom, but those groups of otaku present their enjoyment of the character differently, and that popularity overall is dependent more on the popularity of the show as a whole than the role the character plays in the story.


Quote:
Also you said some people more prefer waifu than her personality huh ? look like i'm just the only one who see female character as personality more than waifu who only act so cute to main protagonist.
I'm not sure why you feel the term "waifu" is incompatible with a character having a personality, but by doing so while stating you prefer dynamic female main protagonnists, you're only proving my statement that otaku who like action-oriented female leads are less likely to engage in "waifu" fan behavior, including voting in character polls and buying character goods. It's not that independent female leads aren't popular, their fans just don't participate in saimoe and buy endless amounts of character goods. Thry aren't less popular, their fans are just less obvious.
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.