AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-07, 04:40   Link #161
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Er... I think that this is a slightly misleading way to put it. His initial narration in the anime tells the story: First, he saw a delinquent harassing a girl, and he decided to play hero a bit. Only later it dawned on him that effectively, he wasn't trying to protect the girl from the delinquents, but effectively the delinquents from the shocker. But that was only how things turned out, he did NOT interfere in the beginning intending to protect the delinquents, otherwise his initial monologue would have been different.

And let it be known that I really really want more chapters of the Railgun submanga. It's absolutely adorable
My interpretation was that his initial narration simply said that he wanted to play the hero, not that he was trying to save the girl. I got the feeling that this wording was chosen intentionally so that they can twist the meaning later. He then later confirms that his original intention was to save the delinquents.

Spoiler for manga, the spinoff one anyway:
Old 2008-10-07, 05:17   Link #162
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by midonin
I also liked Rina Satou's performance as Mikoto
It's the BANCHOU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Reading up on the series, and all i can say is i can't wait to see Kaori in action. Looking forward to her.
Yeah I pegged her as my fav character after looking at the novel covers and trailer, she looked awesome in the OP too and her VA is Shizuka Itou as well!

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-10-07 at 05:36.
Old 2008-10-07, 05:33   Link #163
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Good first ep, awesome season.

There really isn't enough good serious Esper-based animu out their. Most everything else revolving around psychics is well...lets not name them.
Old 2008-10-07, 05:51   Link #164
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
My interpretation was that his initial narration simply said that he wanted to play the hero, not that he was trying to save the girl. I got the feeling that this wording was chosen intentionally so that they can twist the meaning later. He then later confirms that his original intention was to save the delinquents.
No. He decided to interfere (to play "hero" as he put it) before he even KNEW that there were so many delinquents. He was visibly shocked in a decidedly unpleasant way. Also, remember that he was loudly lamenting this outcome while running away - if he really had WANTED to save them, he should have been happy that his plan seemed to work.

Also refer to the manga. Here, he was trying to extract Mikoto via "found the lost friend" extraction trick. His intent is clearly to save HER, not vice versa.

Quote:
Spoiler for manga, the spinoff one anyway:
Again, no.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-10-07, 06:51   Link #165
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

Found that rather unengaging over all. I'm not sure if I'd call it mediocre (it's too early for such calls) but it had a lot of markers of a generic shounen action series, and the characters weren't all too interesting. I might be wrong, this might turn out to be interesting, but I can't see much in the way of potential from the first episode. The setting is a bit sterile as well.

This pretty much struck me as this season's Shakugan no Shana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Do characters go ape-shit in mid-plot? yes.
Over the top nonsense abilities and powers? yes.
Do we have long useless non-logical dialogue? yes.
Nonsense characters? checked.

Yup, the kids are going to love it! (= popular)

Now lets move on to talking if it has potential to be good.
Quoted for future reference.
Old 2008-10-07, 07:23   Link #166
Mentar
Banned

Hmmm... I think that "generic shounen" label doesn't belong here. Unless you use it in an extremely sweeping way, like nowadays every girl who shows a range of emotions from angry to sweet is called "tsundere".

"Generic shounen" in my eyes implies

1) a concentration of battles against progressively powerful opponents
2) the "fight - lose - train - improve - fight - win" cycle, repeated continuously
3) a strong focus on the male lead
4) comedy and romance generally only as side-plots

I don't think that this really describes this show very well. The comedy aspect is noticeably higher, and particularly 2) will be wrong, as far as I know the material.

That aside, I got a much better impression of the characters. Touma is pretty likable for a male lead. Index is at least a pretty unusual character, and I'm curious to learn more of her. I adore Mikoto (though this probably stems from the side-manga and needs to be developed in the anime first), and the remaining chars are also fairly unusual (see the loli-sensei).

Quote:
This pretty much struck me as this season's Shakugan no Shana.
This however I fully agree with. It has the same feel to it.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:01   Link #167
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Hmmm... I think that "generic shounen" label doesn't belong here. Unless you use it in an extremely sweeping way, like nowadays every girl who shows a range of emotions from angry to sweet is called "tsundere".

"Generic shounen" in my eyes implies

1) a concentration of battles against progressively powerful opponents
2) the "fight - lose - train - improve - fight - win" cycle, repeated continuously
3) a strong focus on the male lead
4) comedy and romance generally only as side-plots

I don't think that this really describes this show very well. The comedy aspect is noticeably higher, and particularly 2) will be wrong, as far as I know the material.

That aside, I got a much better impression of the characters. Touma is pretty likable for a male lead. Index is at least a pretty unusual character, and I'm curious to learn more of her. I adore Mikoto (though this probably stems from the side-manga and needs to be developed in the anime first), and the remaining chars are also fairly unusual (see the loli-sensei).
Those are probably the type of things one uses to categorize a generic shounen anime after the fact. We're still on the first episode, so we're still only looking for hints and markers, particularly since we don't have a complete grasp on what the premise of this series is, except that everyone has gnarly powers. But I guess it depends on whether we're talking "shounen action" or "generic shounen action" and how one defines either, since I could quickly list at least three shounen anime that immediately come to mind that only follow two or less of those criteria, My-HiME, Claymore and Shakugan no Shana, but I'd tend to think of at least one of those as "generic".

But the markers I'm referring to are as follows:
  • A male lead with a weak power that he's yet to fully utilize.
  • Stumbles upon a mysterious girl with a strange power that needs to be protected.
  • Lots of moe girls, some with badass powers and big attitudes.
  • A wide range of varied powers.
  • Antagonists with very little depth and very little personality that make for cannon fodder.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm not dismissing this series, since it's only one ep, I just can't see much to be impressed or excited about after that one ep, since it was all rather ho-hum.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:03   Link #168
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
But the markers I'm referring to are as follows:
  • A male lead with a weak power that he's yet to fully utilize.
Should it really be considered weak though? I mean this kinda power is the protagonists Trump Card in the manga series Mx0 for instance....
Old 2008-10-07, 08:07   Link #169
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Should it really be considered weak though? I mean this kinda power is the protagonists Trump Card in the manga series Mx0 for instance....
From the point of view of him and his universe, it's weak. Obviously it'll be the case that as he learns to master it, it'll show its usefulness, but as we start out, the universe doesn't understand the power (because it's apparently so rare) and considers it weak by all its tests and standards, hence why he's Level 0. And it also has a side-effect that really screws him over that he'll inevitably have to learn to deal with.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:26   Link #170
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

It's not really shown well in the anime, but Touma pretty much knows the ins and outs of his power.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:43   Link #171
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
From the point of view of him and his universe, it's weak. Obviously it'll be the case that as he learns to master it, it'll show its usefulness, but as we start out, the universe doesn't understand the power (because it's apparently so rare) and considers it weak by all its tests and standards, hence why he's Level 0. And it also has a side-effect that really screws him over that he'll inevitably have to learn to deal with.
Well I'd say from the protagonists point its more troublesome than weak. Especially with the mention of it coming into contact with the air being the source of his misfortune. Agree that the administration wouldn't classify it as a strong power. Though think even in the first episode there are plenty that would respect the strength of that ability. Mikoto should respect the ability since she's coming back after him for the rematch . Also I'm sure Index's clothes respect that power as well. At least one think I liked was the guy knowing how to use his power in a tough situation right at the start.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:46   Link #172
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
It's not really shown well in the anime, but Touma pretty much knows the ins and outs of his power.
There's only been one episode so far. I prefer it that we don't know yet that Touma knows the ins and outs of his power. That's something I want to learn as the series progresses.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-10-07, 10:26   Link #173
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
There's only been one episode so far. I prefer it that we don't know yet that Touma knows the ins and outs of his power. That's something I want to learn as the series progresses.
Multiple episodes aren't necessary. In the first ep, when he got attacked by Mikoto, he stuck out his right hand, so he knows what his power can do. He knows his luck is bad, and Index explains why it is(albeit a weird explanation, since I don't see what air has anything to do with luck, but that's another story). Now I could mention the typical shounen theology here, but I'm not going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK
Also I'm sure Index's clothes respect that power as well.
Good one!
Old 2008-10-07, 10:35   Link #174
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

This anime needs more cool poses! Style is everything, Touma!

I wonder if Touma's going to start calling his attacks any time soon. Touma! Your hand is the one which will pierce the heavens! GIGA IMAGINATION BREIKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Last edited by KaneDragon; 2008-10-07 at 10:48.
Old 2008-10-07, 10:50   Link #175
Lucipher

How can he not know its powerfull when he says it power from the gods how much more powerfull then god can you get?
Old 2008-10-07, 10:53   Link #176
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
This is IMO one of the best series this season so far based on the first episode alone. I hope to see more.
Old 2008-10-07, 12:22   Link #177
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

The part where

Spoiler for Very slight spoiler of the episode:

There isn't really much more to say then what people said already. It's the Shana of this season, it'll be a good series, but wouldn't be a master piece.
Old 2008-10-07, 14:06   Link #178
[Sakuretsu]
(´・ω・)

Well, this show has a potential for being a generic shounen to awesome magic-spamman show..

Way better than Shana or ZnT in my opinion, the OP song really impressed me so far..

Index and Mikoto are so moe. Needs more mango translations ;_;
Old 2008-10-07, 14:53   Link #179
OverFunk
It will never be the year

I think I just fell in love.

Never forget
Old 2008-10-07, 16:41   Link #180
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
What's with the below puberty teacher? Is this anime another celebration of moe lolis?

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen