Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-08-24, 12:36   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Gundam Build Fighters: GM's Counterattack - OVA Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Gundam Build Fighters: GM's Counterattack

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 22:31   Link #2
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 22:54   Link #3
KPSJ

Its back and its amazing... please we need a season 3
KPSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 23:04   Link #4
Blazer-X

Good to see a certain character return. When's season 3?
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 23:18   Link #5
Skye629

We got our rematch

10 out of fucking 10

-Adds the Burning to Gunpla-Buy list-
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 00:44   Link #6
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPSJ View Post
Its back and its amazing... please we need a season 3
Agreed, I almost fangasmed at the climax of the fight.
Old 2017-08-25, 03:12   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

It’s 7/10 for me. Some of the fights are good, but a number of them could’ve been better.

The Negatives:
  • Mejin III’s fight is anticlimactic and his opponent is disappointing.
  • I’m not a fan of Katejina’s “bikini squad”-strategy designed to distract young male pilots. I dislike it in Victory Gundam back in the 90s and I dislike it here too. Yes, it was meant to be a callback-comedy here, but portraying a female character that uses her body in such cheaply manner is just disturbing to look at unless it was directed by Tomino in his craziest state (which I will still loath). I cringed during the whole Mao fight. I couldn’t even enjoy the new Gundam X mods thanks to that.
  • Aside from Psycho GM, none of the GMs got that much time to shine. They just appear to be destroyed. Not a good indication when “GM” is featured in the title.
  • The climactic fight between Sei & Reiji is......mediocre. It’s neither strategically smart nor outright savage/ridiculous. It’s just a watered-down version of the all-out battle between Build Strike Full-Package vs. Zaku Amazing or SBS vs. Fenice back in GBF. How can they expect me to get pumped up for that final battle if it’s underwhelming compared to the fights in the old TV series? Reunion between Sei & Reiji simply doesn't provide enough nostalgia-particles to make me adore the their final fight. Thus, I gave it a mere “good” score. Also, what’s the big difference between Cosmos & SBS again?
  • No Ramba Ral .

The Positives:
  • China & Beargguy-san got to help the boys in battle, that’s nice.
  • Ninpulse fight is good. At least it gets to show off some of its weapons.
  • Fellini’s fight is great (that diamond-coated Bound Doc opponent is just enjoyably ridiculous).
  • Star Burning’s debut & performance is pretty decent as a predecessor to Build Burning considering SB’s pilots are not martial artists and Build Knuckle is their most well-known final attack (never a fan of Build Knuckle).
  • Psycho GM is a decent-enough boss. Its special feature is nasty for other Gunplas.
  • Sei & Reiji’s reunion feels good.
Old 2017-08-25, 04:45   Link #8
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It’s 7/10 for me. Some of the fights are good, but a number of them could’ve been better.

The Negatives:
  • Mejin III’s fight is anticlimactic and his opponent is disappointing.
  • I’m not a fan of Katejina’s “bikini squad”-strategy designed to distract young male pilots. I dislike it in Victory Gundam back in the 90s and I dislike it here too. Yes, it was meant to be a callback-comedy here, but portraying a female character that uses her body in such cheaply manner is just disturbing to look at unless it was directed by Tomino in his craziest state (which I will still loath). I cringed during the whole Mao fight. I couldn’t even enjoy the new Gundam X mods thanks to that.
  • Aside from Psycho GM, none of the GMs got that much time to shine. They just appear to be destroyed. Not a good indication when “GM” is featured in the title.
  • The climactic fight between Sei & Reiji is......mediocre. It’s neither strategically smart nor outright savage/ridiculous. It’s just a watered-down version of the all-out battle between Build Strike Full-Package vs. Zaku Amazing or SBS vs. Fenice back in GBF. How can they expect me to get pumped up for that final battle if it’s underwhelming compared to the fights in the old TV series? Reunion between Sei & Reiji simply doesn't provide enough nostalgia-particles to make me adore the their final fight. Thus, I gave it a mere “good” score. Also, what’s the big difference between Cosmos & SBS again?
  • No Ramba Ral .

The Positives:
  • China & Beargguy-san got to help the boys in battle, that’s nice.
  • Ninpulse fight is good. At least it gets to show off some of its weapons.
  • Fellini’s fight is great (that diamond-coated Bound Doc opponent is just enjoyably ridiculous).
  • Star Burning’s debut & performance is pretty decent as a predecessor to Build Burning considering SB’s pilots are not martial artists and Build Knuckle is their most well-known final attack (never a fan of Build Knuckle).
  • Psycho GM is a decent-enough boss. Its special feature is nasty for other Gunplas.
  • Sei & Reiji’s reunion feels good.
The GM in the title is for Gunpla Mafia, not the actual GM's themselves, though they did throw some in to play on the title

That being said I wished each of the Mafia members used a super tricked out GM each like the final boss did, that would have been much better IMO (and a ploy to sell even more kits). Hell they could have made it a PR stunt and made a contest for people to design model GMs for them to use in the OVA
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 05:01   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
The GM in the title is for Gunpla Mafia, not the actual GM's themselves, though they did throw some in to play on the title
I think it's a play on words that can mean both Gunpla Mafia and GM kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
That being said I wished each of the Mafia members used a super tricked out GM each like the final boss did, that would have been much better IMO (and a ploy to sell even more kits). Hell they could have made it a PR stunt and made a contest for people to design model GMs for them to use in the OVA
Agreed. All the fights could've been a lot more interesting with more focus on GMs custom kits. It's not everyday we can get GMs as main antagonists yet they seem to have wasted the rich potential of this OVA.
Old 2017-08-25, 09:56   Link #10
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

that Fenice Rinascita that now transforms into a motorcycle, i swear that was like a Zanscare Empire/BESPA design philosophy, i wonder if another Suit is capable of riding it as well.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 21:45   Link #11
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Weren't Gundam build fighter try is neglected? because Sei never meet Reiji and as far i am know from Try we learned Sei never meet Reiji for seven years thus caused him to give up on his wish to meet Reiji again.
Try fighter is not-canon now ? i hope yes
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 22:02   Link #12
Chibiloli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Weren't Gundam build fighter try is neglected? because Sei never meet Reiji and as far i am know from Try we learned Sei never meet Reiji for seven years thus caused him to give up on his wish to meet Reiji again.
Try fighter is not-canon now ? i hope yes
What are you talking about? Way I see it, people only assumed Sei gave up since they virtually had no contact with anybody on the outside, only people who knew he met Reiji again were those who were with him at the time, the Build Burning was even made from the Star Burning even so Try is definitely canon.
Old 2017-08-25, 23:51   Link #13
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Y'all just made assumptions that they never met again. As it stands, GBFT had hints that Reiji had been around again: note that Sei and China's place had tea set out for four people.
Old 2017-08-26, 02:23   Link #14
Router25
World Connector. I think

My theory would be Sei trying to remake a true Arista crystal or make a portal to Aria. This is only based on what happened on Try Island (or maybe just snack-sized Meatbun's special ability)
Old 2017-08-26, 03:58   Link #15
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ms. Asuna's special ability, as you called it, originated entirely from the Arista she carries. Nils' made the connection right away when he noticed the phenomenon himself, as he knows the small jewel Aristas can influence the larger Arista crystals. What this OVA does is help bridge it to the other OVA, by establishing that the smaller jewels can produce Plavsky Particles in a localized area so as to control a Gunpla without a Battle System active or even present.
Old 2017-08-26, 12:08   Link #16
Wandering Soul

I can't really say this impressed me too much action wise. Most of the fights were pretty lackluster with the exception of Felini's fight and the Psycho GM. Sei and Reiji's fight also wasn't very impressive.

That said I did enjoy things like China getting to contriubte and the reunion between Sei and Reiji. Overall I guess I just enjoyed character interactions more than the action.
Old 2017-08-26, 12:30   Link #17
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It did feel like they were phoning it in, yeah. More callbacks to the original series with some bridging for GBFT than actual substance. Carbon copy antagonist, Reiji pulling a Deus Ex Machina to help Sei just like in the first episode, their duel ending ambiguously...

I dunno, it wasn't as good as it really could've been, but it's what y'all have been begging for.
Old 2017-08-26, 12:48   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I dunno, it wasn't as good as it really could've been, but it's what y'all have been begging for.
Well, we're certainly begging for something better from GBF OVA that bridge the gap between GBF & GBFT. Where's all the creativity goes? Skye above already expressed one aspect out of many that could've been made better. And expanding on what you said, the big-boss-bad-guy himself is like a symbol of how this OVA lacks creativity.
Old 2017-08-26, 12:54   Link #19
PhoenixRising

I mostly liked the action scenes. Except I couldn't believe that Mao almost lost to that flashy woman. I also loved Kirara's ecstaticness when Fellini won.

The best part of this episode really was the reunion between Reiji and Sei and I liked how it made it tied in to the beginning Fighters Try. However, I kind of wanted to see who won out of Reiji or Sei.

But, I really want just one ova entirely centered on Arian, just one about Aira's new life there with Reiji.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-26, 13:04   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
I mostly liked the action scenes. Except I couldn't believe that Mao almost lost to that flashy woman.
Btw, for those who want to know, the flashy woman is a reference to this lady from Victory Gundam:

She's a member of Katejina's "flashy squad" but this OVA really cranked her fanservice-level up to eleven compared to what they shown in Victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
But, I really want just one ova entirely centered on Arian, just one about Aira's new life there with Reiji.
Well, you can put that next to "OVA about Calamity War" in a pile of "Gundam anime that fans want but Sundai won't seem to make" .