AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-05, 06:56   Link #1221
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I would no doubt buy the game, but at the same time I have to agree that if Origin is implemented just like BF3: it would feel like unnecessary overhead/an added degree of annoyance.

Steam and I have a love hate relationship: while I love it for its random deals (which sometimes allow me uncover hidden gems like recettear), as well as convenience in content delivery, I hate it when servers are busy+all the annoyance it creates.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 22:43   Link #1222
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I thought most people had an issue with Origin because EA's terms of agreement for it state they're free to take whatever information they deem necessary, including information that really has nothing to do with gaming. There was some articles about it a while back.
Old 2012-01-05, 22:51   Link #1223
Xion Valkyrie

I'm voting with my wallet to show distaste for the company, which is what consumers should be doing rather than just throwing money at corporations no matter what terrible things they do.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 23:11   Link #1224
Alchemist007
*Author

Unfortunate because Bioware itself isn't that bad.
Old 2012-01-06, 08:10   Link #1225
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I'm voting with my wallet to show distaste for the company, which is what consumers should be doing rather than just throwing money at corporations no matter what terrible things they do.
I don't think it works that way. Take domain registration for example: its fine if you decide to boycott Go Daddy for their support of SOPA and use another service, at the end of the day you are getting the same product.

Games on the other hand: ME3 is ME3. No other game, say, Deus Ex, can replace the experience. I suppose you can always fall back on the piracy option.

I fired up ME2 last night and it brought back horrors of poorly implemented interfaces (why cant I just double click??). I hope they have learned their lesson.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:13   Link #1226
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I thought most people had an issue with Origin because EA's terms of agreement for it state they're free to take whatever information they deem necessary, including information that really has nothing to do with gaming. There was some articles about it a while back.
Which has since been changed, I might add.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 13:13   Link #1227
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I don't think it works that way. Take domain registration for example: its fine if you decide to boycott Go Daddy for their support of SOPA and use another service, at the end of the day you are getting the same product.

Games on the other hand: ME3 is ME3. No other game, say, Deus Ex, can replace the experience. I suppose you can always fall back on the piracy option.

I fired up ME2 last night and it brought back horrors of poorly implemented interfaces (why cant I just double click??). I hope they have learned their lesson.
It's harder with games, but one can always just not play. I can always way to see if it comes out on Steam later too. There's a lot of games coming out next year, plus I have a pretty big backlog.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 15:04   Link #1228
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
It's harder with games, but one can always just not play. I can always way to see if it comes out on Steam later too. There's a lot of games coming out next year, plus I have a pretty big backlog.
It wouldn't. In fact EA pulled all their games off steam to force the use of Origin.
While I dislike the overhead, and think Origin sucks. A part of me hope it introduces some competition to Steam so it gets better.
Old 2012-01-06, 15:07   Link #1229
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
It wouldn't. In fact EA pulled all their games off steam to force the use of Origin.
While I dislike the overhead, and think Origin sucks. A part of me hope it introduces some competition to Steam so it gets better.
Well, that'd be the best case scenario.

...what are the odds? It's EA we're talking about here.
Old 2012-01-07, 08:53   Link #1230
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Origin is just the beginning, really. The digital distribution system is only starting to get into gear, but it's already moving more and more to be the main method for gamers to buy their games. I wouldn't be surprised to see several more competitors pop up as the years progress. Heck, even blizzard is already using Battle.net as a way to buy all blizzard related games.
Old 2012-01-07, 09:03   Link #1231
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Origin is just the beginning, really. The digital distribution system is only starting to get into gear, but it's already moving more and more to be the main method for gamers to buy their games. I wouldn't be surprised to see several more competitors pop up as the years progress. Heck, even blizzard is already using Battle.net as a way to buy all blizzard related games.
Aye, and Gamestop purchased Impulse from Stardock so they could cover themselves when brick and mortar videogame stores eventually go out of business.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 09:07   Link #1232
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
See, it only works if they all sell the same products. But if they each hold exclusive games that no others have, then there is no competition whatsoever; You are forced to use a particular system for a particular game. The driving factor will continue to be the quality of the game titles, and not the distribution system. The only way the system would be under competition is if the same game is available through multiple systems, and we get to pick our favourites.

Thus your first sentence nullifies your second. EA pulled all their games off Steam so that they don't have to compete with Steam. So they don't actually have to offer a better service whatsoever; Neither Steam nor Origin would get better because EA decided they don't want competition.

QED consumer suffers and end up with multiple distribution systems on the hard drive taking up space. And all of them don't improve because there is no competition.
Old 2012-01-07, 09:08   Link #1233
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I doubt video game stores as an entity will ever fully go out of business. You can still find CD stores everywhere even though digital is the main thing. They're probably going to stock up more on console and handheld games, leaving the PC section to shrink.
Old 2012-01-07, 09:47   Link #1234
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I doubt video game stores as an entity will ever fully go out of business. You can still find CD stores everywhere even though digital is the main thing. They're probably going to stock up more on console and handheld games, leaving the PC section to shrink.
They may not go out of business soon, but they will eventually. The only thing keeping them in business right now is used game sales... which the publishers hate, they considered used sales to be a greater threat than piracy, which is why online passes exist.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 10:16   Link #1235
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's exactly what people said about CD stores when MP3's started to become popular. Still plenty of CD stores around.

There will always be a demand for physical copies, and as long as that demand exists, there will be stores to supply. Besides, there's still the console market, which itself is growing as well as gaming becomes more and more mainstream.
Old 2012-01-07, 12:55   Link #1236
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This is getting off-topic, but might as well bring up one thing. I agree that the video game stores won't be going away any time soon. It's easy enough to download a couple songs (not that big), but asking people to all the time download games isn't going to be accepted. Not everyone has the best internet or unlimited bandwidth that would allow it. Besides still a ton of people who want their physical copies and having them on their shelves.

Anyways, Mass Effect 3. Not too much further now. Just hope it comes together well. Not as supremely confident in Bioware after Dragon Age 2.
Old 2012-01-07, 13:06   Link #1237
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Anyways, Mass Effect 3. Not too much further now. Just hope it comes together well. Not as supremely confident in Bioware after Dragon Age 2.
FYI, the reason Dragon Age 2 was 'bad' wasn't Bioware's fault, but EA's.

Edit:
Back on topic, I'm excited to see how ME3 ties the whole Mass Effect trilogy together.
Old 2012-01-07, 13:12   Link #1238
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post
FYI, the reason Dragon Age 2 was 'bad' wasn't Bioware's fault, but EA's.

Edit:
Back on topic, I'm excited to see how ME3 ties the whole Mass Effect trilogy together.
Why EA's? Because they rushed the project?
Old 2012-01-07, 13:17   Link #1239
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Why EA's? Because they rushed the project?
Exactly.

However, I'm not saying that Bioware is entirely blameless on how Dragon Age 2 turned out. I think both EA and Bioware are at fault for what happened.
Old 2012-01-07, 13:26   Link #1240
Aqua Knight

On topic:

I also want ME 3 to tie ME 1 and ME 2, because they felt too disjointed and that's like playing two different games in terms of plot.

Tags
effect, games, mass