AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-08-13, 12:59   Link #1821
King-Slayer

Woah Kokaji is a beast! i knew she was great but damn she is something else.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 13:24   Link #1822
night_sentinel

Wait what? Former #2 in world ranks! .

I expected Kokaji to be number 1 in Japan with her many titles... but number 2 in world rank?! Lol... I suppose this confirms that the Japanese league pros are badass considering they have the former number 2 in their ranks. This also neatly explains Rinkai, considering that they bring international ringers with scary credentials you would expect them to be the champions but they are not so the mahjong skills of japan must be able to compete internationally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post

About Saki, it's scary that she is toughening up while still pulling off those stealth +/- zero. If she breaks that limit... And how in the name of god has Nodoka not noticed this!? Even if it doesn't upset her, wouldn't she at least demand an explanation?

P.S: If Kojaki wears that in her free time, what kind of stuff would Kouko wear? Unless only mahjong powerhouses are allowed to have that kind of fashion sense.
Saki did +/-zero twice in the game, but I wonder if the manga did not point that out will we notice it?

I remember analyzing the first hanchan and I didn't notice anything strange about Saki's score... In fact, I distinctly remember being impatient with Saki since it feels like she's not doing anything at all for more than half of the game... And Lo behold when chapter 99 came out, I found out that she was silently controlling the game the whole time.

In fact, I'd wager if Saki wasn't so suspicious in her last moves, Kyouko might not even suspect her at all. Anyway, all I'm saying is Saki doing +/- zero is hard to spot. Besides, we have yet to get a Kiyosumi ending pov and I wouldn't be surprised if this is Kiyosumi's strategy. They seem to be trying to avoid showing all their abilities as much as possible.

And yeah, Kokaji's pro outfit... is a bit out there. I wonder if it is the uniform for the pleasing chicken team. The outfit does remind me of spicy chicken... or maybe I'm just hungry.

PS. Pleasing chicken as a team name? Seriously? Somehow the name just cracks me up.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 17:28   Link #1823
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
PS. Pleasing chicken as a team name? Seriously? Somehow the name just cracks me up.
I do remember that the only reason Sukoya has even played mahjong recently was because a team (I assume this is it) begged her to play for them, even if they couldn't pay her as they should. Need to check the extra chapter again, but that's probably the "act of charity" that Kouko mentioned.
Old 2012-08-13, 17:47   Link #1824
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
That might be to you... but to the other teams out there, that's no laughing matter... the Chickens is a team to be reckoned with...

hey, guys... I just discovered something while rereading chap 13 of Side A... on the anime, there were no armrests on the chairs they used during the vanguard battle and there were still no armrests when the sergeant battle started... I re-watched the anime... in the manga, the chairs have armrests... now, how will the anime proceed with the plot of seeing the slight movement of Sumire's fingers when Yuu can't even see her hand? I'm guessing the chairs will miraculously grow armrests?

Last edited by tarajis; 2012-08-14 at 01:14.
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 04:16   Link #1825
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
And yeah, Kokaji's pro outfit... is a bit out there. I wonder if it is the uniform for the pleasing chicken team. The outfit does remind me of spicy chicken... or maybe I'm just hungry.

Yeah, I reckon her outfit is The Chicken team uniform.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 04:47   Link #1826
JW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
hey, guys... I just discovered something while rereading chap 13 of Side A... on the anime, there were no armrests on the chairs they used during the vanguard battle and there were still no armrests when the sergeant battle started... I re-watched the anime... in the manga, the chairs have armrests... now, how will the anime proceed with the plot of seeing the slight movement of Sumire's fingers when Yuu can't even see her hand? I'm guessing the chairs will miraculously grow armrests?
Nicely spotted! I guess Sumire is going to have to develop a facial tic or something similar.

"Yuu, see that? When she is about to target someone, her left eyebrow moves up half a millimeter. Oh, by the way, don't forget to take your glasses to the match..."
JW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 05:10   Link #1827
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
Hey you're right, there is no armrest on the chairs in the anime! Beside that, it looks like the players put their hands on their lap when they're not playing so Yuu would have no chance to observe Sumire's hand movement.

Poor animators... who would have figured that having an armrest on the chair would be a plot point.

Well, at least we know another detail that they will need to fix during the BD release. As for the armrest, I think they will miraculously appear or perhaps they will concoct a scenario where the officials would need to replace the chairs for some strange reason... like ... hmmm... how about due to one of the players being carted to the emergency room, they will need to replace the chairs to break the bad luck? Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I do remember that the only reason Sukoya has even played mahjong recently was because a team (I assume this is it) begged her to play for them, even if they couldn't pay her as they should. Need to check the extra chapter again, but that's probably the "act of charity" that Kouko mentioned.
Lucky chickens getting Kokaji-pro. I do wonder what made Kokaji-pro stop playing or slow down in the first place. That is a pretty big fall from #2 to #973... Perhaps she got traumatized by #1 ala Akado? Or perhaps the winning is boring syndrome has kicked in? Oh well, maybe well get a Kokaji-pro backstory... she seems to be shaping up to be an important character with all the materials being released about her.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of pros being introduced right now, coupled with the mysterious rule changes and the name dropping of other prominent tournament I have a feeling that the manga is planning to continue beyond the inter-high tournament. Though at this pace... that will take a long time in real life...
Old 2012-08-14, 05:14   Link #1828
Sumeragi
Banned

I'm thinking a boyfriend who broke her maiden heart.....

Or is that impossible in the Sakiverse?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 07:39   Link #1829
kona~chan
ヘタレ

Quote:
Lucky chickens getting Kokaji-pro. I do wonder what made Kokaji-pro stop playing or slow down in the first place. That is a pretty big fall from #2 to #973... Perhaps she got traumatized by #1 ala Akado? Or perhaps the winning is boring syndrome has kicked in? Oh well, maybe well get a Kokaji-pro backstory... she seems to be shaping up to be an important character with all the materials being released about her.
it would be hilarious if the player who traumatized her is saki's mom

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 13:45   Link #1830
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm thinking a boyfriend who broke her maiden heart.....

Or is that impossible in the Sakiverse?

WTF did i just read Of course thats impossible. Now if you would've said she wanted to spend more time with Kouko then thats believable.

Last edited by King-Slayer; 2012-08-14 at 18:25.
Old 2012-08-14, 13:48   Link #1831
Sumeragi
Banned

You know, your post might have some impact if you bothered to upload whatever picture that was to a hosting site rather than hotlink from 4chan.....

Anyway, I stand by my theory. A man is involved!
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 14:15   Link #1832
JW1

Quote:

A "man"? Oh, you mean that peculiar theory that there's a gender other than female, based on sightings of a mythical creature known as 'Kyoutaro'? I wouldn't give much credence to that, pure hookum.
JW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 18:26   Link #1833
King-Slayer

Quote:
You know, your post might have some impact if you bothered to upload whatever picture that was to a hosting site rather than hotlink from 4chan.....

LOL couldn't be bothered to upload the acutal pic, sorry. I stand by what i said and you know it has nothing to go with a guy because she's got it bad for Kouko.
Old 2012-08-14, 19:00   Link #1834
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

I think you're both crazy.

However, it IS a fact that the narrative leans toward the yuri side of the equation, so it's very easy to think that a girl is involved rather than a guy. However, it might just be that Sukoya is just tired. Re-read the extra chapter, where Kouko actually has to visit Sukoya at her parents' house to pick her up.

Incidentally, this is also the extra chapter where Kouko apologizes to the mom that she wasn't the boyfriend she was expecting.
Old 2012-08-15, 03:15   Link #1835
fukarming

With all the information floating around, the world of Saki is:

Fourth Reich is invading Earth, and they settle the score on Mahjong. It happens 20 years ago.

While Koizumi saves the day 20 years ago, he died during the process and the remnants of the enemy is still attacking.

The Earth governments decided that they cannot wait for a genius Mahjong player to save the day like Koizumi, so they decided to grow player with supernatural power by bioengineering.

The project is lead by the daughter of Koizumi, who also has genius super mahjong power like his father, and Dr. Miyanaga. The two fall in love and get married.

The bioengineering project bear fruit and 2 girl is born. They named them after their ability, Teru and Saki. Dr. Miyanaga and his wife adopted the two girl.

Saki and Teru's mother had disagreement with Dr. Miyanaga about the way they should treat Teru and Saki; at the same time Teru unintentionally heard that she is a humanoid design to play Mahjong. So she decided to leave Nagano with her mother, trying to protect Earth by herself, hoping Saki never knows she is not a human. Thus when ask whether she has a sister, she denied it.

On the other hand, Toki has a terminal illness. When Toki appeared to be dead, the rival of Dr. Miyanaga, Dr. X approached Ryuka, telling her that he can revived Toki, but she will be transformed into a humanoid with supernatural ability. The only way she can get her energy back is by sleeping on Ryuka's lap.

Far away deep in the mountain, a secret cult, whose special ability is to become invisible, trained 2 person to infiltrate the modern society. They decided to use their special ability to make it big in the two most popular sports in the world, the guy, who go by the name Kuroko decided to become a basketball player and the girl, Momoko, to become a Mahjong player.

Meanwhile, Earth is beating back the fourth Reich, thanks to Kokaji's supernatural power. So the fourth Reich steal Kokaji's power using advanced technology. Thus her sudden drop in Mahjong prowness and ranking.

When the interhigh tournament ends, the Mahjong game to decide world's fate will start. Will Teru and Saki accept their fate and defend Earth? They will be going against Kokaji's power, and ultimately, the strongest player Earth had ever come across, Koizumi as the fourth Reich had completely clone his power.

"Saki/ Teru, I am your (grand) Father"!
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 04:25   Link #1836
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

^^^^^....
sandhy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 17:15   Link #1837
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
With all the information floating around, the world of Saki is:

Fourth Reich is invading Earth, and they settle the score on Mahjong. It happens 20 years ago.

While Koizumi saves the day 20 years ago, he died during the process and the remnants of the enemy is still attacking.

The Earth governments decided that they cannot wait for a genius Mahjong player to save the day like Koizumi, so they decided to grow player with supernatural power by bioengineering.

The project is lead by the daughter of Koizumi, who also has genius super mahjong power like his father, and Dr. Miyanaga. The two fall in love and get married.

The bioengineering project bear fruit and 2 girl is born. They named them after their ability, Teru and Saki. Dr. Miyanaga and his wife adopted the two girl.

Saki and Teru's mother had disagreement with Dr. Miyanaga about the way they should treat Teru and Saki; at the same time Teru unintentionally heard that she is a humanoid design to play Mahjong. So she decided to leave Nagano with her mother, trying to protect Earth by herself, hoping Saki never knows she is not a human. Thus when ask whether she has a sister, she denied it.

On the other hand, Toki has a terminal illness. When Toki appeared to be dead, the rival of Dr. Miyanaga, Dr. X approached Ryuka, telling her that he can revived Toki, but she will be transformed into a humanoid with supernatural ability. The only way she can get her energy back is by sleeping on Ryuka's lap.

Far away deep in the mountain, a secret cult, whose special ability is to become invisible, trained 2 person to infiltrate the modern society. They decided to use their special ability to make it big in the two most popular sports in the world, the guy, who go by the name Kuroko decided to become a basketball player and the girl, Momoko, to become a Mahjong player.

Meanwhile, Earth is beating back the fourth Reich, thanks to Kokaji's supernatural power. So the fourth Reich steal Kokaji's power using advanced technology. Thus her sudden drop in Mahjong prowness and ranking.

When the interhigh tournament ends, the Mahjong game to decide world's fate will start. Will Teru and Saki accept their fate and defend Earth? They will be going against Kokaji's power, and ultimately, the strongest player Earth had ever come across, Koizumi as the fourth Reich had completely clone his power.

"Saki/ Teru, I am your (grand) Father"!
I can't wait for the continuation already.
Old 2012-08-15, 18:24   Link #1838
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

As crazy as that theory is, it sadly makes some sense in the context of the setting. When the professionals are commenting that something is up with the tourney rules for the year, then there's definitely something shady going on.
Old 2012-08-15, 19:29   Link #1839
The Green One

Maybe we all just have a little too much free time on our hands right now.....
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 11:29   Link #1840
night_sentinel

For those who can't wait and can read the moon runes... Saki 100 raws are already out. Looks like well be getting an exposition heavy chapter.

Thanks to whoever uploaded it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?inq5j1v4nuoev6b

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri