AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-04-25, 09:23   Link #21
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
There's never really been a consensus on where to put american adaptations of mangas/animes, some end up in general anime and some in general chat.

Honestly ideally if the Monster subforum wasn't retired that's where I'd have put the thread, the reasoning for putting it in general anime seems valid to me, it is anime related since an anime of Monster exists and it might be getting an american version.
A lot of people that might be interested in this don't even bother going into the general chat section so they'd miss the thread.

Ive always wondered if it wasn't better to just group all american adaptations together into a general thread that would fill that purpose in general anime, the Akira thread I linked to earlier went on to discuss other live action productions as well.
Old 2013-04-25, 09:26   Link #22
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
There's never really been a consensus on where to put american adaptations of mangas/animes, some end up in general anime and some in general chat.
Which is why I asked for some reasoning . Truthfully, when the site changes and the new sub-forums are created, all such threads will be moved to the General Entertainment Sub-Forum - where all non-anime movies, books, comics, television (non-dorama), etc will be discussed. But, until then, we'll work with what we've got...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 10:17   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I just hope it doesn't turn into "Action thriller starting some American star taking place in Detroit".
East Germany commie experiment will be replaced by "evil American government conspiracy"
Magnificent Steiner is replaced by the Incredible Hulk.
Heinrich is a donuts eater that looks like Columbo.

Please let these be just my nightmares.
This is HBO so I don't think we have to worry too much. They know how to take risks. There will definitely be changes (I fully expect Tenma to be American for one) but nothing that major.
Old 2013-04-25, 10:32   Link #24
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(btw, why is this thread in General Anime and not General Chat?).
Well this is a property based on an anime/manga.

The news was also posted on Anime News Network so if it's good enough for an anime news site it should be good enough for the anime section of this board. Well that's my reasoning.

And I think this board gets more traffic than General Chat.
Old 2013-04-25, 12:18   Link #25
Rungelunge

This would be great. I remember years ago Del Toro saying he loved the manga and the plot would make a killer mini series.
Rungelunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 19:15   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I'm interested in the reasoning. It'll help in my decision on whether or not it should be moved and where.
Ah, I see. I thought it was pretty much self-evident that it should be in General Chat.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 03:27   Link #27
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Which is why I asked for some reasoning . Truthfully, when the site changes and the new sub-forums are created, all such threads will be moved to the General Entertainment Sub-Forum - where all non-anime movies, books, comics, television (non-dorama), etc will be discussed. But, until then, we'll work with what we've got...
Actually it shouldn't be pondered. This is a series based of a Japanese manga. The fact that it is or may be airing in America on HBO as a live action series based on the manga should not make a difference.

People who come to this forum are anime and manga fans. The fans who are interested in news concerning anime and manga will not go to a "General Chat" thread to find news about anime and manga. This is a series based off a Japanese Manga and the principal audience who comes here will be looking at General anime/manga news. Monster is a Manga, the fact that it is being developed into something more deserves to be in a thread relevant to it such as a manga/anime thread.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 18:41   Link #28
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Actually it shouldn't be pondered. This is a series based of a Japanese manga. The fact that it is or may be airing in America on HBO as a live action series based on the manga should not make a difference.

People who come to this forum are anime and manga fans. The fans who are interested in news concerning anime and manga will not go to a "General Chat" thread to find news about anime and manga. This is a series based off a Japanese Manga and the principal audience who comes here will be looking at General anime/manga news. Monster is a Manga, the fact that it is being developed into something more deserves to be in a thread relevant to it such as a manga/anime thread.
Well, I guess I'd break it down into two parts:

1. The news that a manga-based show will be getting a live action adaptation.
2. Actual discussion of the show itself while it airs.

For the former, I guess maybe it's okay to post the news in an anime-related thread (it's debatable). But for the latter, it makes much more sense (to me anyway) to put it in the upcoming Entertainment sub-forum alongside all the other HBO (and other) live action shows.

But for now anyway, the news story is probably okay here.
Old 2013-04-29, 14:53   Link #29
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rungelunge View Post
This would be great. I remember years ago Del Toro saying he loved the manga and the plot would make a killer mini series.
Hmmm, I feel like if they were to do a mini-series it might come out being a little rushed and lose most of the appeal of the slow/detailed story telling. Granted, the story did drag on a little bit but for the most part everything that happened was needed for the overall feel of the characters/story.

If they are going to adapt it I hope they give it a actual series, maybe two or three seasons? I am sure that there is enough material for that assuming that they are doing hour long episodes like all their other series are done in.

Even if they make some changes to the story / modernize it, I will be more then willing to give it a try because I would have to assume the core elements and outcomes will remain the same, otherwise it wouldn't really be a adaption of Monster now would it?
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 20:34   Link #30
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't see Monster being adapted into an open-ended ongoing series.
Spoiler for ending:
I looked back over a few series for HBO. The one closest to Monster might be Band of Brothers. That show was adapted from a book by historian Stephen Ambrose and follows a single Airborne company from basic training to the end of World War II. It was complete in ten episodes.

Many of HBO's recent original offerings like Girls or The Newsroom started with six-episode runs with renewals depending on audience. Season one of The Sopranos began with thirteen.

At 24 minutes per episode, the 74 episodes of Monster work out to 29.6 hours. No television executive would commit to a show of that length. Del Toro and company will be lucky to get thirteen 56-minute episodes; that would give them 12.1 hours to tell the story.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 20:58   Link #31
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I really think this could work, and no, I wouldn't be concerned about them 'updating' the plot. Perhaps make Tenma American, yeah, but HBO doesn't strike me as the type of network to dumb down the show to the audience to such a degree as completely changing the setting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
At 24 minutes per episode, the 74 episodes of Monster work out to 29.6 hours. No television executive would commit to a show of that length. Del Toro and company will be lucky to get thirteen 56-minute episodes; that would give them 12.1 hours to tell the story.
You could tell the story in that length of time. The slow and methodical pacing of Monster was one of my favorite aspects, but I can definitely see it being trimmed down and still retaining some degree of its brilliance.

Of course, I'd prefer it if nothing were cut.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 21:09   Link #32
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The series drags on a lot in between, I can easily see it being slimmed down to half length.
Old 2013-04-29, 22:04   Link #33
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
Hmmm, I feel like if they were to do a mini-series it might come out being a little rushed and lose most of the appeal of the slow/detailed story telling. Granted, the story did drag on a little bit but for the most part everything that happened was needed for the overall feel of the characters/story.
I'd love to see what del Toro could do with a 6-10 episode version of Monster. A longer series would probably draw too much from the original source so it would be less creatively interesting. Bear in mind that the opportunity to creatively interpret the manga would be one of the main reasons that would draw del Toro to the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't see Monster being adapted into an open-ended ongoing series.
The Fugitive does exists as a TV series. I doubt that del Toro would be interested in working on the project for more than a couple of years. He's got too many other ideas to pursue to devote too much time to Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I really think this could work, and no, I wouldn't be concerned about them 'updating' the plot. Perhaps make Tenma American, yeah, but HBO doesn't strike me as the type of network to dumb down the show to the audience to such a degree as completely changing the setting....
HBO has shown a willingness to play close to the original sources so I wouldn't be surprised if the del Toro show plays in same '90s Germany as the manga. I would also assume that the nationality of Tenma is going to depend on who they can cast for the role. The ideal choice is a Japanese actor, but I don't know of too many Japanese actors who have enough name recognition to headline an HBO show.

If I'm correct, they'd likely go for a Chinese or Korean actor. In this case, they'd probably stay away from the "Memoir of a Geisha" trap and make the character Chinese (Taiwanese/Hong Konger) or Korean respectively. If there's no proper East Asian actor can be cast, then the sky's the limit on who del Toro can use, but it'd probably be a non-white actor. A black Tenma would be all sorts of amazing.
Old 2013-04-30, 03:07   Link #34
totoum
Me at work

Just as a reminder,if there's someone that would be willing to keep Tenma japanese,it's Del Toro.
Got this from the Pacific Rim thread, here he is promoting the movie to the japanese by talking about how he's cast a couple of japanese actors in the film.
Old 2013-04-30, 18:59   Link #35
4Tran

Quote:
Just as a reminder,if there's someone that would be willing to keep Tenma japanese,it's Del Toro.
Got this from the Pacific Rim thread, here he is promoting the movie to the japanese by talking about how he's cast a couple of japanese actors in the film.
I don't doubt del Toro at all. However, it's going to be a real challenge to find a Japanese lead with enough stature to carry a 20-40 million dollar TV series.
Old 2013-04-30, 19:23   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And you still have to get HBO to greenlight the project, which they may be very reluctant to do with a non-Caucasian lead.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 22:47   Link #37
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And you still have to get HBO to greenlight the project, which they may be very reluctant to do with a non-Caucasian lead.
This isn't the '90s any more, and HBO seems open to making shows like Treme with a very diverse cast. Tenma's race shouldn't be a problem for the greenlight process since all of the other characters are going to be either German or Eastern European. The real problem is finding someone who can pull the character off. Off hand, can you think of any fitting Japanese actors?
Old 2013-05-01, 00:02   Link #38
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

None that can actually speak English fluently, no.
Old 2013-05-01, 02:17   Link #39
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I don't doubt del Toro at all. However, it's going to be a real challenge to find a Japanese lead with enough stature to carry a 20-40 million dollar TV series.
Maybe have the big name actor not be the one who'll play Dr Tenma but have it be the actor who plays the titular Monster character?
Old 2013-05-01, 07:50   Link #40
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
None that can actually speak English fluently, no.
The only Japanese actors of any stature in the U.S. that I'm familiar with are Watanabe Ken, who's obviously too old, Masi Oka, who doesn't look right for Tenma's role, and maybe Kaneshiro Takeshi. Kaneshiro may be a little too unknown in the West (which didn't stop Jay Chou), but he seems very good for the role.

Quote:
Maybe have the big name actor not be the one who'll play Dr Tenma but have it be the actor who plays the titular Monster character?
Tenma's going to have by far the most screen time, so I don't think that that will fly. Now that you bring it up, Johann and Anna are going to be a challenge to cast as well.