AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-04-12, 07:30   Link #1
Mef

Oyasumi Punpun

Oyasumi Punpun by Inio Asano is so great, I just have to start a thread for it.

Anyone besides me reading this manga???
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 07:46   Link #2
Dingo
The polyphony

It's pretty good, only gripe i have with it is the art..but then again i say the same thing about every Asano title
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:06   Link #3
EXEs
Hallelujah...

3 letters. W.T.F.??? Stickbird people was hilarious, especially the beer argument between Punpun's parents. Their teacher going insane and the vice principal and principal hide-and-seek...this is the biggest bout of WTFness I've seen for a long time. Their facial expressions made me l0l. But it's a pretty good read as an elementary school slice-of-life manga with a...twist.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 20:19   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Anyone reading this? Though a simplistic bird-looking char is odd, it doesnt' seem childish, despite the chars being in grade school, and maybe even psychological in some aspects. I'd just like to know from someone who's kept up with it is it worth my time to read it?
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 21:42   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Yes.

Personally, I can't seem to like any of Inio Asano's works -- they're always, always so harsh and depressing, this "comedy" being no exception -- but I can't deny that he's the real deal.

Oyasumi Punpun is funny, disturbing, thought-provoking, and quite realistic despite the main character being a caricature. This is to generic genre manga what literature is to romance novels.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 18:15   Link #6
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Anyone reading this? Though a simplistic bird-looking char is odd, it doesnt' seem childish, despite the chars being in grade school, and maybe even psychological in some aspects. I'd just like to know from someone who's kept up with it is it worth my time to read it?
Yep it's well worth your time. I can already imagine what the main character really looks like. It's almost like reading a book where you think of what the main char looks like. I do believe the birds are actual people.

This manga has lots of crazy characters, but the emotions are real. Definitely worth your time.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 18:53   Link #7
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I haven't gone pass the first five chapters, but if Asano's Solanin and Nijigahara Holograph are anything to go by, then yeah, it's bound to be good. So far it has been an effective comedy that is also moving and thought-provoking; the author's ability to merge the bizarre with the down-to-earth and laid-back narrative has never failed to leave me impress. Doesn't hurt that Asano's highly detailed art serves as a fitting contrast to the caricature of Punpun.

MUST READ MORE SOON!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 13:06   Link #8
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
It REALLY sucks when you make a long post, only for your internet to fail and it disappears . Anyway, I never forgot about this manga since I had asked, it's just that I didn't have the motivation to read it. After finally reading up through vol.6 recently, I must say what you guys/ladies said was right. Very emotional and powerful story, with characters so delicate, they feel real.

Since I don't feel like reposting everything I initially wrote, I will just say this; I'm afraid of what may come of Aiko. The whole shtick about 'abandoning everything for the one you love' makes me think that she might be taken advantage of, if she gets involved with the wrong guy(s). Worse comes to worse, she'll be psychologically damage . I'm hope I'm wrong, but given the track record of practically EVERYONE having some kind of horrible event in their lives, things look pretty bleak .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 07:31   Link #9
Soviet

One of my favourite manga. Great translation too, this dude is seriously talented. Punpun needs to see Aiko at least one more time and settle things with her once and for all, he won't be able to get his life under control without some closure. When is the next volume scheduled to release in Japan?
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:08   Link #10
Sol Falling

Bump for this thread. My brother owns an English copy of Solanin (I didn't particularly like it); didn't realize Oyasumi Punpun was by the same mangaka until I started marathoning it earlier today.

Up to ch. 46 right now...the narrative rhythms in this series are fascinating. I like the way even seemingly minor supporting characters are also caricatured with distinctive aspects of humanity. I've also heard quite a bit of commentary to the effect that this series is depressing, I wonder if it's really as bad as people say it is.

At they very present moment, I do have to say though that I'm finding Punpun's weakness and uselessness to be growing tiresome. I stopped my marathon for moment precisely because this point in the story suddenly made me question to what degree we are intended to actually sympathize with him. It's one thing to be presented with Punpun's dark emotions and ugliness, it is another to witness his baseless and self-defeating hope/expectation that "life will get better (by itself)".

One last general comment before I get back into it; the narrative perspective as a whole seems very male-centred so far. You've got the miserable/irrational piles of lust in the men, and you've got the pretty girls who are the objects of their desire. The feminine perspective seems pretty under-represented beyond any context other than basic romance ("my happiness is to be beside my loved one"). Although this sort of skew does largely represent my own sphere of experiences (as a male) and no doubt the general audience demographic, I wonder if it's not a weakness/limitation in terms of this piece as a true work of literature. Although of course, I better read up on the rest before making any premature judgements on this as well.

In any case, it's certainly been a more than great read up to this point.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 17:57   Link #11
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

vol 11

lajgbhskbgkdsvbksj slkvbljsblgfbs;lg

HFQ! This development!

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 11:27   Link #12
User68604
Disabled By Request

incredible manga. on chpt 81 right now
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 18:33   Link #13
User68604
Disabled By Request

135 is out. not much happened
Old 2014-01-28, 20:02   Link #14
User68604
Disabled By Request

Just wow at how it ended.

not sure how i feel ...
Old 2014-02-22, 17:59   Link #15
iceyfw

damn. just damn. this manga has left a deep mental scar within me. people parting ways and going on with their own life with regrets of the past. the transformation of punpun who was so pure as a kid to adjusting with his life during age 15 to 21. i was really afraid punpun was at the point of no return the last 20 chapters. it's definitely a great recommendation to anyone who likes the genre tags this manga has.

Spoiler for punpuns final goodbye to...:

Last edited by iceyfw; 2014-02-22 at 19:37.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote