AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-03-27, 04:33   Link #401
Arya

I agree, quite disappointing ending. I guess the problem has to be led back to Kaneki and his lack of presence. I mean, the ending was about a MC I barely saw during the show and his friend who is the only one probably had less screen time than him
The result is that any emotional string they thought to pull didn't work, during the walking scene at a certain point I was ready to skip forward ... then he simply disappeared. At this point they could not have included him at all. I mean, the whole big fight was not about him, he just butted in just because ... because ... yeah pretty much.
Basically if we remove him from the second season it doesn't change anything.
For this reason his implied dead is like, what? How come he is dead when I thought he finally would have started doing something

And the worst is that the only constant connection we had of him in the show was supposedly Touka, the one that in the end could have had the weight to bring out a sort of meaning from his and even there they failed, since they basically did nothing with her.
Basically the old man was right, she was the poster girl of Anteki and so ultimately of the show, nothing more than that

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 07:03   Link #402
Tormenk

Pierrot gets the last laugh I guess..?

The episode itself was alright in tone but very poor in execution and conclusion. Just one more episode would have helped wrapped things up a whole lot better.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 08:35   Link #403
moodie

it blows my mind how pierrot can go from faithful adaption akatsuki no yona to this complete mess, tokyo ghoul
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 09:26   Link #404
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
it blows my mind how pierrot can go from faithful adaption akatsuki no yona to this complete mess, tokyo ghoul
baby steps : studio pierrot : 26 episodes : faithful : get season 2

lmao such unfair treatment
ninjastarforcex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 13:32   Link #405
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was one of the most terrible adaptation I've ever seen, if not the most terrible. The anime original storyline of Kaneki joining Aogiri had a lot of potential but went absolutely nowhere. The only thing it accomplished was ruining Kaneki's development and turning him into a secondary character. In the end, the majority of the scenes were from the manga (so much for anime original), the problem is that since they cut at least 50% of the manga material, the story was a rushed mess that barely made sense anymore. Even abridged series have more substance than this adaptation. And let's not even talk about the bad animation.

The first season worked fine as a commercial for the manga, but I wouldn't be surprised if Root A had the opposite effect. It might have turned off a lot of people.

All I can do is urge people to read the manga. You'd never guess watching the anime, but it's actually incredibly well written. The author is particularly good with foreshadowing. It's amazing the stuff you find on a second read.
Old 2015-03-27, 16:33   Link #406
Nicaea

Hmmm... I'm having mixed feelings about the last episode. However, the things that were wrong with it should be ascribed to the whole season. For example, the anime showing Hide's narrative was nice, but the scenes with Touka in it felt like a waste of space.

The main issue I have, is that the only thing Kaneki "visibly" did in the anime, was sitting around depressed and borderline typicall mc teen angst. In the manga though, we get to see a better character development: we see how his drastic change affects the people aroubd him, but we also see how he's working towards a goal. We see him struggle, change, take charge of things, we see him win and lose, we see him getting stronger and resolve himself. It also shows how Kaneki is starting to lose things and how he copes with events that are spinning out of control.

I really miss footage of Kaneki trying to find Rise, and Kanou. In the manga it showed how he accepted being ghoul and how in a twisted way he was looking for his origins, more accurately a place where he belongs. We also get to see him going off the deep end eating a great number of ghouls, but most importantly how the community reacts to it as eating ghouls is rumored to open the path to greater strength but also a sort of taboo amongst ghouls.

Another thing is that we see how Amon and co. are finding out the truth about Kaneki, which in itself gave their last fight a different look and feel. And we get less focus on Touka, who was moving on and hoping for things to fall in place anyways (I'm almost suspecting Touka to be a poster girl to attract viewers).
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 08:34   Link #407
Ragna92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was one of the most terrible adaptation I've ever seen, if not the most terrible. The anime original storyline of Kaneki joining Aogiri had a lot of potential but went absolutely nowhere. The only thing it accomplished was ruining Kaneki's development and turning him into a secondary character. In the end, the majority of the scenes were from the manga (so much for anime original), the problem is that since they cut at least 50% of the manga material, the story was a rushed mess that barely made sense anymore. Even abridged series have more substance than this adaptation. And let's not even talk about the bad animation.

The first season worked fine as a commercial for the manga, but I wouldn't be surprised if Root A had the opposite effect. It might have turned off a lot of people.

All I can do is urge people to read the manga. You'd never guess watching the anime, but it's actually incredibly well written. The author is particularly good with foreshadowing. It's amazing the stuff you find on a second read.
This so much! Man seriously I hope people don't judge TG and Kaneki based on this terrible adatation. I find it to be even worse than Deen's FSN!. Season 1 did a decent job in getting people in the franchise.. but Root A, while it did have it's moments overall it was a trainwreck.

Surprised this is the same studio that made Akatsuki no Yona.

Overall 6.5/10 for Root A.
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 11:26   Link #408
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

That was a beautiful ending that was completely wasted on the actual audience that mostly watched this series.

The season itself had plenty of flaws, but I wholeheartedly preferred it over the incredibly generic season one, which I only forced myself to finish once I realized I actually enjoyed season two.

Now, taking a step back from my personal opinion on the series, I do find it refreshing that an anime can have a season like this, when anime production and design is generally felt to be-cynically-completely market-driven.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 18:29   Link #409
Chosen_Hero

I liked the ending, it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be, it seems symbolism is lost on peole unless there is a super awesome fight happening in the middle of the episode.
Old 2015-03-28, 18:43   Link #410
Ragna92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I liked the ending, it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be, it seems symbolism is lost on peole unless there is a super awesome fight happening in the middle of the episode.
The anime was all over the place and the ending didn't help. Can't really blame people for not liking it. Root A did have it's moments but overall it was a trainwreck. The bad heavily outweighed the good and it's the same with this episode.

The scene with the acoustic version of unravel playing was pretty good though.
Old 2015-03-28, 19:44   Link #411
Skye629

Im just gonna hope that they leave off for a few years, then come back and give Tokyo Ghoul the FMA:Brotherhood treatment. I can wait
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 20:22   Link #412
Iron Maw
Banned

Not surprised this season sucked. The writing was already on wall for me during S1, even if the premise for this was conceptually interesting (despite not making a whole lot of sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Im just gonna hope that they leave off for a few years, then come back and give Tokyo Ghoul the FMA:Brotherhood treatment. I can wait
I will only be happy with this if includes the first season and it's given 30 something episodes.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 20:37   Link #413
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

It's interesting that I found the original FMA far and away better than Brotherhood, when I read these differing opinions on this series.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-29, 00:42   Link #414
BluePhirePB

No idea WTF happened lol. Oh well, it's over now.
BluePhirePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-29, 11:04   Link #415
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
And we get less focus on Touka, who was moving on and hoping for things to fall in place anyways (I'm almost suspecting Touka to be a poster girl to attract viewers).
Touka is the most popular character of the manga, as well .......... former most popular character had the votes divided into two ........

and now it was confirmed that the studio did not follow the projects that Ishida made after episode 1, we can treat it all as filler.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-29, 13:03   Link #416
Ragna92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Touka is the most popular character of the manga, as well .......... former most popular character had the votes divided into two ........

and now it was confirmed that the studio did not follow the projects that Ishida made after episode 1, we can treat it all as filler.
Even though Touka was ranked first in my mind
Spoiler:
Old 2015-03-30, 09:18   Link #417
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

I watched the last four episodes in a row, and I have to say it was a very emotional ride. I actually teared up, which is very rare for me. The ending hinting at possible adaption of Tokyo Ghoul:re?
Old 2015-03-30, 13:53   Link #418
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just out of curiosity, how many episodes do manga readers think Tokyo Ghoul needed for a completely loyal adaptation to this point in the storyline?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-30, 14:05   Link #419
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many episodes do manga readers think Tokyo Ghoul needed for a completely loyal adaptation to this point in the storyline?
4 cours would have been enough for the entire manga.
Old 2015-03-30, 17:01   Link #420
MartianMage

Ah first time I'm gonna post here...

I can see that a lot of people are bothered by the adaptation and the finale... as a manga reader I'd say that yeah the adaptation could have been better but considering the number of episodes I honestly think it was pretty decent?

As for the finale I can't really be bothered by it especially when I know for a fact that the manga finale was trollish to begin with.

Well even if I didn't find the adaptation to be impressive... I'd say that if they ever decide to adapt Re: too I'd prolly watch it too...
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote