AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-24, 07:00   Link #701
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon
I'm actually quite surprised by this. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into another Pumpkin Scissors situation
I don't see that happening. I think we have a fair share of people who are going to stick with this

Pumpkin Scissors was a piece of crap >.<
Old 2007-04-24, 07:02   Link #702
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
I'm actually quite surprised by this. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into another Pumpkin Scissors situation
To be honest, I did object at first (mainly because sola is a relatively short series). But just to compare: this thread has nearly 700 posts in it, and we're just at episode 3. The Pumpkin Sciccors generic thread got to only 470 posts and only 1150 posts for the entire forum (which is a record sola will probably break easily).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:04   Link #703
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
To be honest, I did object (mainly because sola is a relatively short series).
Air has it's own subforum (1,071 posts) (and it is not the only 13 ep series to have one )
Old 2007-04-24, 07:08   Link #704
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Air has it's own subforum (and it is not the only 13 ep series to have one )
True, but I was thinking it would be better to create subforums for series that will attract a lot of discussion either because of high popularity (example: Suzumiya Haruhi has 14 eps but was/is insanely popular) or length (20+ episodes minimum) and medium popularity. I suppose sola falls in the first category.

Edit:
And don't forget the forum crash of December 2005. Air aired January 2005, so the entire initial wave Air related posts was wiped out by that problem. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the forum had to be recreated from scratch. The reason why it was recreated was probably not because of it's popularity at the time, but to make the forum look and feel as much as just before December 2005. Probably for the same reason we don't have a Shana forum either...
( http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/forum_dec2005.html )

But we're getting a little off-topic here

Edit 2:
In April 2005, the Air forum at over 3700 posts:
http://web.archive.org/web/200504100...animesuki.com/

Last edited by GHDpro; 2007-04-24 at 07:22.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:12   Link #705
arkon

Quote:
I don't see that happening. I think we have a fair share of people who are going to stick with this

Well I hope everyone's right. I guess I better get on with episodes 2 and 3 of sola.

Personally I didn't think pumpkin scissors was that bad (there's far worse) but that's for another thread.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:14   Link #706
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

In my opinion, there is a very valid, if shallow, reason why sola attracts more discussion than Pumpkin Scissors.

The strong presence of "bishoujos".

Let's face it. Most of the members here are male, and short of 300-excesses ("This is Harem!" "Harem? THIS IS SOLA!"), we would rather go goo-goo ga-ga over pretty anime girls.

Heh.
Old 2007-04-24, 07:14   Link #707
Simon
気持ち悪い

EDIT: Moved to ep3 discussion thread, now there is one.

Last edited by Simon; 2007-04-24 at 07:29.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:15   Link #708
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Well I hope everyone's right. I guess I better get on with episodes 2 and 3 of sola.

Personally I didn't think pumpkin scissors was that bad (there's far worse) but that's for another thread.
I am fairly sure things will be ok... in fact, i expect the population following Sola to grow over time, as more people will find out about the series. Being an original piece of work doesn't provide it with an instant fanbase... i expect to see more and more people here with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane

In my opinion, there is a very valid, if shallow, reason why sola attracts more discussion than Pumpkin Scissors.

The strong presence of "bishoujos".

Let's face it. Most of the members here are male, and short of 300-excesses ("This is Harem!" "Harem? THIS IS SOLA!"), we would rather go goo-goo ga-ga over pretty anime girls.

Heh.
...and that as well
Old 2007-04-24, 07:17   Link #709
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Hmm sola is short? How short?
Old 2007-04-24, 07:18   Link #710
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

13 episodes short
Old 2007-04-24, 07:18   Link #711
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Heh.
Depends though, sometimes several factors mixes it for me, with all the ingredients including some Minovsky particles and what-not attracts me to animes.

Fortunately, sola have the utmost priority this season for me.

anyways, we should move the episodic discussions to their respective threads.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:20   Link #712
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@ascaloth:
Sounds like it's just your computer, with it either too slow or as you have said, you have things running in the background. Also probably in conjunction, you're trying to run the 1024 X 576 H264 version, which at that resolution lagged even my p4 3ghz comp (most notably with anything fast action, fancy karaoke being the main culprit) until I tweaked the settings a bit.

As for me, both Lunar and Doremi karaoke is perfect. So it's most probably just you. Either stop all programs while watching, or avoid h264 like the plague.

And Sola having its own subforum? I am not surprised in the least. With it not being an adaptation of anything, and it being part mystery, there's a lot about it to talk about.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:53   Link #713
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:

The quality (or crappiness) of a series doesn't have any relation to the amount of discussion it attracts. Look at Shuffle!.

This series getting its own subforum surprises me, but I won't complain. I find the smaller episode threads easier to digest. But, this series doesn't seem to have a huge number of people following it, but rather a small, but loyal group committed to discussing it. I mean, most of the names in this thread are so familiar, it's almost scary.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 08:22   Link #714
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This series getting its own subforum surprises me, but I won't complain. I find the smaller episode threads easier to digest. But, this series doesn't seem to have a huge number of people following it, but rather a small, but loyal group committed to discussing it. I mean, most of the names in this thread are so familiar, it's almost scary.
Hehe, i know what you mean Almost every one here is a familiar face. Which is a good thing, imo. And the discussion has remained vastly on-topic.
Old 2007-04-24, 08:30   Link #715
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Woot! I'm suprised this show got it's own subforum but it's a good thing.
Old 2007-04-24, 09:17   Link #716
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Rotfl. Hai, hai .. I know who you're referring to

But also Ascaloth has quite a tradition of assigning me unlikely tasks .. oh well, this passed too. Though, Ascaloth, you'd better use it for quite a while now
Don't worry, I will.

Oh, and since I apparently have a tradition of assigning you "unlikely" tasks, as you term them, let me continue the tradition. :evil:

See my request in the Avvie/Sig Request Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
These problems (including the ones I cut out) are caused by your machine not being fast enough to keep up with the decoding. Since you're watching the high-res version, that could definitely cause some problems if you don't have a decent processor. I get no issues with my Sempron 2200+ (running at 1.66 GHz), but I don't use the decoder included with CCCP.

Try setting your media player's process priority to "above normal". Also make sure you're not running any resource-intensive applications while watching. You mentioned BT - do you use Azureus? It's a major resource hog, and will most definitely cause other programs to lag on a slower machine.
Lessee....how do I set the media player's process priority to "above normal"?

Me Neanderthal. Me don't know shit about computer.

As for BT, I use BitComet. Another thing I can think of is that I'm currently running a Wallpaper Changer program, which randomly selects from a list of wallpapers I've put into its database, and automatically switchs them randomly every 10 minutes. Pretty nifty, considering there are way too many wallpapers that I like, but I can see it being a potential resource hog, too.

So, what do you think?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 09:24   Link #717
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Hmm...sola getting a subforum. Well, it's only unexpected in the sense that it's only mildly popular and short.

Personally, I think sola is decent. There are aspects I didn't quite like in it, yet there are nice things about it either.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 09:47   Link #718
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I was just digging around in this thread to bring over my thoughts on previous episodes to the respective episode threads, and I found something of mine that I posted earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
The problem with Sola is that it's the kind of series that needs its own sub-forum, if only to keep the anime, manga, and game threads concentrated in one place. Too bad it'll also never get one, though.
I'm telling you, I'm damned glad to have to eat my words on this one.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 09:52   Link #719
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
As for BT, I use BitComet. Another thing I can think of is that I'm currently running a Wallpaper Changer program, which randomly selects from a list of wallpapers I've put into its database, and automatically switchs them randomly every 10 minutes. Pretty nifty, considering there are way too many wallpapers that I like, but I can see it being a potential resource hog, too.

So, what do you think?
Lower the amount of running torrents, they do wonders at times when RAM are limited. As for the wallpaper changer, depends...
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 09:54   Link #720
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

Hey dude, count me in....I have been following this series but haven't posted a thing yet.

And it is good to know it is getting a sub forum.

But 12 episode fit nicely into this tv series.
babuji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural