AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-09, 07:54   Link #1
tyciol
*Artist

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

I am wondering if anyone has seen this film? It was released in Japan first, so I think it qualifies as anime, though I did not know it at the time when I was a child and enjoyed seeing it.

I know anime licenses expire all the time and make it possible for groups to sub it and list it on animesuki. Does anyone possibly know about the status of this movie, or how to find out what it is?

Last I can see there was 2009 DVD release which was un-cut, I am unsure if it has the original Japanese audio as an option to listen to though. This is recent enough that I'm guessing it is still active, I just haven't been able to find it in any stores. Possibly should check online I guess.

Apparently Echo Bridge was marketing it though I can't find a page listing it on their site...

It mentions Best Buy so ... I searched 'Slumberland' but only got 'cumberland' so I'm guessing it's not there.

Amazon seems to be the only place I can find it. I've never used them before but this seems worth learning.

The only thing is, I am not sure if this is just a dub, because I'm really interested in hearing the Japanese audio for this.

Last edited by tyciol; 2011-07-09 at 09:30.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 05:54   Link #2
FireChick

I personally haven't seen it. But I know the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it and didn't like it.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 08:15   Link #3
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

It was actually relicensed recently and there is an upcoming DVD release. You can find it on RightStuf. It's actually listed as Hybrid, so it's likely this'll be a billingual release. So here's hoping for the Japanese version this time around. I don't think Discotek has released anything dub only as of yet.

Interesting note is the movie was originally produced in English then dubbed in Japanese for the theatre release of... 1989 I believe. We didn't get to see this until about 1992. However, given the production, I think it's important to have the Japanese audio available.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 11:34   Link #4
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

If I recall correctly, Little Nemo was originally made in English and later dubbed in Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I personally haven't seen it. But I know the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it and didn't like it.
I actually saw it for the first time (no nostalgia here) a few months before the Nostalgia Critic did and I was able to salvage some enjoyment from it and actually uphold some of my suspension of disbelief.

Spoiler for minor spoilers:

I also thought that the animation was impressively smooth, particularly during the flying bed scenes.

Overall, as a film that's not viewed through nostalgia goggles, Little Nemo is a barely decent movie. It's overly simplistic even for a kid's film but at least it doesn't bore the viewers. I recommend it to any animation fan, but more casual viewers would probably want to see Summer Wars, Ghibli films, and Pixar films instead.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 16:49   Link #5
tyciol
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
If I recall correctly, Little Nemo was originally made in English and later dubbed in Japanese.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...in_Slumberland lists it as having been released a month earlier in Japan. It looks like a co-operative product so my guess is they did the voice acting about simultaneously.

Plus I think I saw the edited version, I don't know who got a chance to see the uncut english version.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote