AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-12-21, 04:04   Link #21
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
*huggles his new 512MB upgrade, which is now a total of 768MB ram*

Doesnt that feel great?. Anyway, Im all up for this change in direction from .avi to .h264 and mp4. Less encoding to be done, such as using .mkv. BuT!!!!

Until people can start to have better performance PCs, which is why some groups are offering both Xvid and h264, recently like Lunar's Bleach episodes.

Though I am curious on how to start the encoding, I couldnt find mkv or h264 on my Compression list with VDub, am I supposed to use VDubMod?...
________
Hero honda splendor

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:40.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 04:41   Link #22
IMSabbel

i guess you should rather use wmv or rm, as it seems you are 100% not the target group of cutting edge video codecs
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 04:44   Link #23
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

I guess I deserve that. Though Im only familiar with encoding Xvid and DivX. This new genre is completely new to me.
________
Full Melt Hash

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:40.
Old 2005-12-21, 05:44   Link #24
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Though I am curious on how to start the encoding, I couldnt find mkv or h264 on my Compression list with VDub, am I supposed to use VDubMod?...
The appropriate way to encode H.264 would be the x264 CLI. For muxing to mkv, use mkvmerge (via mmg, if you like having a GUI) from the mkvtoolnix package. For mp4 it's MP4Box from GPAC.

Last edited by Jekyll; 2005-12-21 at 05:55.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 10:23   Link #25
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
Less encoding to be done, such as using .mkv.
Actually, the effort of making .mkv or .mp4 file based on h.264 encoding using x.264 is just about the same. You have to encode both video and audio first (it may not involve VirtualDub at all anymore), then mux them later.

I've been using YAMB as MP4Box GUI front end for the last week or so. It's quite intuitive. So is MeGUI.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 10:24   Link #26
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Itachi;

Easiest way is to go to Doom9.org and do a search for MeGui. Also download the x264 CLI and MP4Box like Jekyll said. From there you can merge them into some sort of super mecha MeGui which will allow you to spit out raw or MP4 muxed h264 files. If you're using the MP4 container, you'll have to use AAC audio. If you're using MKV, you can use whatever you want.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 11:25   Link #27
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
If you're using the MP4 container, you'll have to use AAC audio.
That's not true. AonE&Live-eviL&Froth-Bite's Maetel releaes in mp4/h.264 has mp3 audio. MP4AAC is just the recommended audio format for mp4 video.
Old 2005-12-21, 11:52   Link #28
Eeknay
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
That's not true. AonE&Live-eviL&Froth-Bite's Maetel releaes in mp4/h.264 has mp3 audio. MP4AAC is just the recommended audio format for mp4 video.
My mistake.
Old 2005-12-21, 12:55   Link #29
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Why on earth would you continue to use mp3? I think the inability to use vorbis is the big loss (that and .ssa and .ass softsubs).
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 13:04   Link #30
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
Why on earth would you continue to use mp3? I think the inability to use vorbis is the big loss (that and .ssa and .ass softsubs).
Keeping the raw's mp3 stream makes sense (if that is what they did) as reencoding reduces quality. Of course, one might choose to take the opportunity and reencode the audio stream to 64kbps HE-AAC and throw the additional freed 64-something kbps at the video stream, which would make sense too.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 13:48   Link #31
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Keeping the raw's mp3 stream makes sense (if that is what they did) as reencoding reduces quality. Of course, one might choose to take the opportunity and reencode the audio stream to 64kbps HE-AAC and throw the additional freed 64-something kbps at the video stream, which would make sense too.
Yes, both makes sense.
Unfortunately, the encoder's choice of mp3 wasn't that sophisticated. That Maetel team actually bought the DVD. The audio track was linear PCM. So there's no such thing as keeping the original mp3 from the raw - we could've encoded however we wanted.
It's just that the encoder didn't want to hear the viewers whine about audio codec problem.

Personally, I use AAC over mp3.
Old 2005-12-21, 16:04   Link #32
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Yes, both makes sense.
Unfortunately, the encoder's choice of mp3 wasn't that sophisticated. That Maetel team actually bought the DVD. The audio track was linear PCM. So there's no such thing as keeping the original mp3 from the raw - we could've encoded however we wanted.
The important thing is: was it teh leetzor 128kps CBR mp3?

IIRC, I've seen LAME come ahead of of Nero's AAC encoder in some tests (a few months ago; I don't really keep up with audio encoding). The latest version of LAME is very, very good, but it's still not as good as the latest version of OggDrop, so... (I can't comment on AAC of course)

Quote:
Of course, one might choose to take the opportunity and reencode the audio stream to 64kbps HE-AAC and throw the additional freed 64-something kbps at the video stream, which would make sense too.
Which, of course, still reduces the quality. I have a 256kps CBR mp3 stream in a raw I'm using now. Wonder if I should re-encode to Vorbis or not... ^^;;
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 16:18   Link #33
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
The important thing is: was it teh leetzor 128kps CBR mp3?
Yes it was, and it still is. -.-
Old 2005-12-22, 07:39   Link #34
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Ah sweet. I had to download the new ffdshow codec. 8-12-2005 I think, explains why everytime I tried encoding with ffdshow, VDub would crash. Now I can try to encode with mkv, mp4, and h264.... yay
________
Bmw Headquarters History

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:44.
Old 2005-12-22, 10:08   Link #35
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Before everyone else jumps all over you, toss that VDub out of the window when you're encoding h.264. And ffdshow VfW too. Even for experimentation purpose, it's better to learn the way it's really meant to be, not the way you've gotten yourself so familiar with. Full version of MeGui along with the supporting CLI programs, creating mp4 is almost as easy as creating avi with vdub. (MKV... you just need MKVMerge at the end.)
Old 2005-12-22, 10:29   Link #36
Eeknay
*Fansubber

Quote:
Before everyone else jumps all over you, toss that VDub out of the window when you're encoding h.264. And ffdshow VfW too. Even for experimentation purpose, it's better to learn the way it's really meant to be, not the way you've gotten yourself so familiar with. Full version of MeGui along with the supporting CLI programs, creating mp4 is almost as easy as creating avi with vdub. (MKV... you just need MKVMerge at the end.)
Quoting for truth.
Old 2005-12-22, 11:05   Link #37
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
wow, MP4 with MP3 audio... talk about raping a container
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 11:21   Link #38
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

So the encoding program is called MeGui?...
________
Mazda ryuga history

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:44.
Old 2005-12-22, 11:36   Link #39
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Encoding program is called x.264. It's a CLI (Command Line Interface) program. Since entering all those command line parameters by hand scares many people, DOOM9 created a front-end GUI (Graphic User Interface) called MeGUI. MeGUI can actually use mencoder as the backend to encode in formats such as XviD, h.264, etc as well.

Last edited by Sylf; 2005-12-22 at 11:57.
Old 2005-12-22, 13:41   Link #40
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Just go to x264.nl, grab the installer, make sure you've got MS .net framework installed (if not, install it), install x264, go start -> programs -> x264 -> x264 commandline interface encoder. Set the appropriate settings and encode.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote