AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-10, 04:30   Link #81
Rinnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarimaHario View Post
Just finished Now and Then, Here and There - One of the most emotionally intense anime for sure. No tears, but I'm gonna go watch a comedy show now before my mind begins to self-destruct.
Oh great, I'm glad you enjoyed it, yes it's a disturbing anime but sadly realistic to a certain extent.
Old 2012-02-10, 10:40   Link #82
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinnel View Post
Oh great, I'm glad you enjoyed it, yes it's a disturbing anime but sadly realistic to a certain extent.
i have no doubts the MC will grow into a alcoholic.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:32   Link #83
Forsaken_Infinity

I can't begin to fathom how you teared up over Anohana but then put down so many better shows - better overall and in the emotional department - so harshly ;_; But then again, you rate code geass with five stars while drop Aoi Bungaku () when the latter is just about as good as it gets when it comes to anime that can make a grown man tear up

Spoiler for that which made me convulse in rage:

I don't even what to say. To each his own I guess.

Regardless, I am a man, now 20 years old, approaching 21, and the last time I shed actual tears was when I was 12 and I don't remember the reason (was something stupid). I am bipolar and suffer from chronic anxiety and depression (I really think my hunting down those works of fiction that put me on emotional turmoil helped a great deal ) but despite all that, I haven't shed a single tear due to an anime till this date. The closest they get is to producing a feeling like my heart is clenched in claws and my throat is dry.

I find that whether or not an anime makes me feel that way also depends on my mood before I watch it. You may want to watch anime when you're aggravated and dissatisfied with life if you really want to get close to absolute emotional turmoil but I have sincere doubts that you'd even watch the shows then. You'd most likely just drop them

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Aoi Bungaku. Yes I know you dropped this. I am still gonna recommend it anyway. All of the adaptations are as emotionally involving as anything in anime get, especially No Longer Human and Kokoro. You should seriously force yourself to re-watch this show.

Honey and Clover. Another show you dropped. And on episode 1. This is exactly the kind of show you shouldn't be dropping after one episode and is exactly the type of show you are asking for here.

Hourou Musuko Yep, another one you dropped. This is definitely not a conventional anime but it's definitely an emotionally involving anime and among the top of the class at that.

Mawaru PenguinDrum. Yet another show you dropped, again after one episode. While not a conventional tearjerker, it has its sad moments. You'll have to stomach surreal details and over the top direction.

Since it seems that you either rated the shows that I find to be the cream of the crop when it comes to what you are asking very low (Haibane Renmei gets one star while you tear up over AnoHana ... FML) or flat out dropped them, I am gonna stop >_>. Do please try to re-watch and complete at least the shows I listed so far. You are seriously missing out. I have no idea how you came to like Now and then, here and there given your attitude towards these other shows.

Actually, I have a question. When exactly did you start watching anime? I am getting the feeling that you didn't start that long ago. (Sorting by year does so based on the year the show was produced and not when you watched it, unless I am mistaken?)

Edit:
Spoiler for FINAL RAGE:
Old 2012-02-13, 11:07   Link #84
StarFox117

Anime that can make a grown person cry? That's hard, since most grown ups I know tend to have a "don't give a fuck" attitude to just about anything.

I'd recommend Code Geass if only for
Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-13, 11:45   Link #85
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

@FI
Not trying to defend the OP, but as you stated in one of those sentences, he might just be new to animes and probably rated them according to his FIRST impressions or interests; i can say this because i would have done the same a while ago if i didn't think about it and restrained myself from doing so because i knew i was unexperienced and would have given out bad votes.

Also, it may be that he gave his votes according to his interest. Example:
I am looking for a romance
I get suggested an horror/mecha anime that has nothing to do with romance
I rate the anime low because it doesn't fit my interests

Thinking that way is wrong, since the vote isn't objective and doesn't take into account the whole plot, the animation, the characters development etc, tho affecting the whole rating system and making that title drop in its category.

Those are the only reasons that come into my mind to justify such ratings. Naturally, bad taste is also an option, but who are we to judge? Defining "bad taste" would already be judging, so well, seriously: to each his own.
Old 2012-02-13, 11:52   Link #86
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
@FI
Not trying to defend the OP, but as you stated in one of those sentences, he might just be new to animes and probably rated them according to his FIRST impressions or interests; i can say this because i would have done the same a while ago if i didn't think about it and restrained myself from doing so because i knew i was unexperienced and would have given out bad votes.

Also, it may be that he gave his votes according to his interest. Example:
I am looking for a romance
I get suggested an horror/mecha anime that has nothing to do with romance
I rate the anime low because it doesn't fit my interests

Thinking that way is wrong, since the vote isn't objective and doesn't take into account the whole plot, the animation, the characters development etc, tho affecting the whole rating system and making that title drop in its category.

Those are the only reasons that come into my mind to justify such ratings. Naturally, bad taste is also an option, but who are we to judge? Defining "bad taste" would already be judging, so well, seriously: to each his own.
I have no issues with his rating a series however he pleases. I was just disappointed a bit that he either rated some of the best shows pertaining to his particular request here very very low or didn't make it past one episode. I would like for him to give the shows I listed that he dropped without ever getting into them a chance.

I understand that people are different and that taste is subjective. Besides, just because he rated Mushishi as a one-star show doesn't make it five times as worse as Code Geass, which he rated with five stars. It remains the case that it is the former and not the latter that would be among the very few anime that would make a serious case for me if and when I try to persuade my friend that anime is a legitimate art form and an otherwise irreplaceable medium for storytelling.

But yes, I reserve the right to disagree with his ratings. And dear god, they are as misguided as they can be (imo, that is).
Old 2012-02-13, 12:57   Link #87
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I feel like you have dropped Seikon no Qwaser after 9 episodes (the series has 24 episodes) and you haven't rated because it has ridiculous breastmilk concept to you ?
The action scenes are pretty good, the story is awesome even with breastmilk concept, it looks ssooooooooo gooooooood !
Spoiler for Spoiler for the series:
However, the second season (12 episodes) might dissapoints you even more.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-13, 13:06   Link #88
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I have to say, I find it pretty amusing how suggestions are offered, and then some include a spoiler that would completely neutralize the emotional impact of the series for someone who has not seen it before. At least the spoilers are tagged, but come now - you can explain why the series has an emotional impact without giving away specifics or spoilers.
Old 2012-02-13, 16:36   Link #89
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
I feel like you have dropped Seikon no Qwaser after 9 episodes (the series has 24 episodes) and you haven't rated because it has ridiculous breastmilk concept to you ?
The action scenes are pretty good, the story is awesome even with breastmilk concept, it looks ssooooooooo gooooooood !
Now that's a HUGE spoiler... would work better if you were to at least remove the name.
Old 2012-02-13, 17:15   Link #90
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I can't begin to fathom how you teared up over Anohana but then put down so many better shows - better overall and in the emotional department - so harshly ;_; But then again, you rate code geass with five stars while drop Aoi Bungaku () when the latter is just about as good as it gets when it comes to anime that can make a grown man tear up

Spoiler for that which made me convulse in rage:

I don't even what to say. To each his own I guess.

Regardless, I am a man, now 20 years old, approaching 21, and the last time I shed actual tears was when I was 12 and I don't remember the reason (was something stupid). I am bipolar and suffer from chronic anxiety and depression (I really think my hunting down those works of fiction that put me on emotional turmoil helped a great deal ) but despite all that, I haven't shed a single tear due to an anime till this date. The closest they get is to producing a feeling like my heart is clenched in claws and my throat is dry.

I find that whether or not an anime makes me feel that way also depends on my mood before I watch it. You may want to watch anime when you're aggravated and dissatisfied with life if you really want to get close to absolute emotional turmoil but I have sincere doubts that you'd even watch the shows then. You'd most likely just drop them

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Aoi Bungaku. Yes I know you dropped this. I am still gonna recommend it anyway. All of the adaptations are as emotionally involving as anything in anime get, especially No Longer Human and Kokoro. You should seriously force yourself to re-watch this show.

Honey and Clover. Another show you dropped. And on episode 1. This is exactly the kind of show you shouldn't be dropping after one episode and is exactly the type of show you are asking for here.

Hourou Musuko Yep, another one you dropped. This is definitely not a conventional anime but it's definitely an emotionally involving anime and among the top of the class at that.

Mawaru PenguinDrum. Yet another show you dropped, again after one episode. While not a conventional tearjerker, it has its sad moments. You'll have to stomach surreal details and over the top direction.

Since it seems that you either rated the shows that I find to be the cream of the crop when it comes to what you are asking very low (Haibane Renmei gets one star while you tear up over AnoHana ... FML) or flat out dropped them, I am gonna stop >_>. Do please try to re-watch and complete at least the shows I listed so far. You are seriously missing out. I have no idea how you came to like Now and then, here and there given your attitude towards these other shows.

Actually, I have a question. When exactly did you start watching anime? I am getting the feeling that you didn't start that long ago. (Sorting by year does so based on the year the show was produced and not when you watched it, unless I am mistaken?)

Edit:
Spoiler for FINAL RAGE:
I've been watching anime since I was ~5 years old. For 99% of anime from 1996 and below, I've watched them when I was 5-12 years old (I moved to USA when I was 12 (1997)). An yes, I have a very strong nostalgia and memories toward all of them. So, you could say my childhood is consisted of good amount of Japanese culture both from anime and real life (School life, various festivals, mindset/stereotype on certain things, etc.).

One of the biggest turn offs in anime for me is supernatural creatures (ie. Princess Mononoke, Mushishi, Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind, etc). Don't ask why because they just do. Just wanna throw that out. Religious stuff is another big turn off, but I'm not gonna get into that.

Just remember that each individual is different, and there's always exceptions to everything. Not to mention there's so many environmental factors that also come into play.

As for what you've suggested:

Aoi Bungaku - I pretty much lose interest after the first 2 stories. I have to admit I'm not a fan of horror anime, but I always try my best to enjoy them. =/

Honey and Clover - Been a long time since I've tried this anime, but it didn't leave a good first impression at the time. (I promised myself from now to watch at least 3 episodes of anime before dropping because I recently dropped Madoka and Stein;Gate after 1 episode and boy was that a big mistake).

Hourou Musuko - I thought I would enjoy this anime because I've enjoyed anime involving gender dilemma in the past (Kashimashi, etc.). Believe me, I tried my best to enjoy it, but it was just too uncomfortable to watch this one.

Mawaru PenguinDrum - I'll go back to watch this for sure. I do love the art, but those little supernatural creatures (penguins in this case) kind of turn me off as stated above.

Anohana - This is one of those cases where the combination of sound, voice acting, music, animation, and mood came together perfectly. Otherwise, I'd probably wouldn't have shed tears.

Haibane Renmei - This anime is aimed towards females imo. I don't really mind the slow pace, but I just didn't feel anything watching this.

Mushishi - Sorry to break your heart , but I really thought this anime was pointless at the time. Perhaps I was too young and inexperience to really appreciate what this show has to offer. But those little creatures... don't get me started of them again . It's been a long long time since I last saw this so my opinion may change drastically if I watch it again.

As for how I rated Dragonball, I just enjoyed Z more than GT more than the original DB (So they're 4, 3.5, and 3 stars, respectively). As for Monster, I thought it was the biggest waste of time ever. (please don't hurt me)

But yea, a masterpiece is in the eye of the beholder. Even if 99.9% of earth population give a certain anime a 10/10 score, it doesn't make you wrong to give it 1/10. It's just each person's opinion resulting from countless factors after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
xD how's 2/5 stars sound?

I try very hard not to give ratings to 'dropped' anime, especially if I've only seen 1 episode.

Though I am a grown man with great perseverance, I do have a tolerance limit on how much mindless ecchi anime I can watch at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I have to say, I find it pretty amusing how suggestions are offered, and then some include a spoiler that would completely neutralize the emotional impact of the series for someone who has not seen it before. At least the spoilers are tagged, but come now - you can explain why the series has an emotional impact without giving away specifics or spoilers.
I just take note of new anime names and ignore the text.

Last edited by HarimaHario; 2012-02-13 at 19:59.
Old 2012-07-20, 17:05   Link #91
user391

Smile Kashimashi

i think Kashimashi was a funny and interesting anime i hop they make more of it, i did start to watch it like a weak ago
Old 2012-07-20, 22:51   Link #92
kenobihiro

Ano hana and Rumbling Heart (Don't know if i get that name right) is pretty depressed for me...
Old 2012-07-21, 00:37   Link #93
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

Major - 4-5 episodes in made me tear up more than any other anime.
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien/ AKA Rumbling hearts - Emotional roller coaster is an understatement.
Closed Thread