AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 13:15   Link #381
Destined_Fate

Thinking back, I did like Turn A but the ending was confusing as heck. Rolan didn't love Dianna but he went with her because she was dying out of duty even though he had kissed Sochie and left her hanging despite never revealing if he loved her either. Really strange way to end things.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 13:29   Link #382
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

As far as I could tell, Loran was always about Diana and Sochie started crushing on Loran later. Sadly, Loran had to let her down about it in the end.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 13:33   Link #383
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Rolan didn't love Dianna but he went with her because she was dying out of duty even though he had kissed Sochie and left her hanging despite never revealing if he loved her either.
Loran idolized Dianna (and certainly loved her, or why would he abandon Sochie?), we know this much, and living with her is definitely a dream-come-true moment in many aspects. Dianna's feeling on the other hand, may be ambiguous. Although some say she was dying, we don't know that for sure, because she certainly did not display anything resembling an illness associated with cold-sleep during the series. But the ring on her hand apparently belonged to Will Game, which she wears as a momento.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 13:36   Link #384
Destined_Fate

Dianna seemed to not be well as the series ended so I buy the dying thing, after all she has been alive for quite awhile. Poor girl deserves a rest and some happiness. Though Sochie deserves better as well, getting kissed by the guy she fell for and than him leaving her out of duty is a bit harsh. At least if Dianna does die soon it means she'll die with Rolan at her side and there will still be time for Rolan to properly return to Sochie after his duty is fulfilled if she'll still take him.
Old 2012-10-05, 13:37   Link #385
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Gundam 08th Mobile Suit Devision - This is the only Gundam that I've liked while watching. If only all the series would look like that. Besides, those Gundam look really like war machines, not like those from the newer Gundams.
Old 2012-10-05, 13:42   Link #386
Tak

Many female characters in Gundam are worthy of admiration, but Dianna is on the very top of that list. Especially when grace is becoming a rare quality amongst leadership characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Gundam 08th Mobile Suit Devision - This is the only Gundam that I've liked while watching. If only all the series would look like that. Besides, those Gundam look really like war machines, not like those from the newer Gundams.
I have to agree to an extent, there are certain levels of ruggedness and grit to 08th not available on other series.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-10-05 at 14:00.
Old 2012-10-05, 14:40   Link #387
Destined_Fate

Yeah, she deserves that which is why I'm fine with Rolan staying with her for her last years, sucks that Sochie has to wait though.
Old 2012-10-05, 14:48   Link #388
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Many female characters in Gundam are worthy of admiration, but Dianna is on the very top of that list. Especially when grace is becoming a rare quality amongst leadership characters.

I have to agree to an extent, there are certain levels of ruggedness and grit to 08th not available on other series.

- Tak
It's also due to the fact that, unlike a majority of Gundam series (UC or AU), it's all from the view of regular (Federation) soldiers (even the right ages too; in their 20s or older) and not "special" teens/Newtypes, teens who happen upon the Gundam somehow, hijack a Gundam, or whatever. Just regular soldiers in war, and in only semi-unique MS actually made for them (as there are approximately 20 RX-79G Ground Combat Gundams made from the leftover RX-78-2 parts, and each team only has 3-4 and a Hover Truck).

And unlike the likes of SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, AGE, and such (where things just manage to "turn out alright" in the very end), while Shiro and Aina did have ideals about both sides understanding eachother and trying to bring about peace without (much) bloodshed, there are actually bad consequences for their impulsive actions since, of course, A LOT more people don't believe in such a thing (or at least see it as foolish, not the place for it, etc) and, in the end, they never do achieve those ideals and both of them are stuck hiding away with eachother for god-knows-how-long after (as Shiro's actions could still be seen as treasonous by deserting in the face of the enemy, and Aina would most likely be seen by the Federation as a part to Ghinias' actions with her piloting the Apsalus units).

So it comes off as more realistic in most ways than your normal Gundam series.
Old 2012-10-05, 15:03   Link #389
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
So it comes off as more realistic in most ways than your normal Gundam series.
Despite this, I am very happy for them at the end. I almost thought they wouldn't make it.

Its also pretty funny considering Shiro Yamada (a very common name) was this peasant who eventually wed a minor aristocratic princess. Its a futuristic fantasy tale, I tell ya.

Quote:
And unlike the likes of SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, AGE, and such (where things just manage to "turn out alright" in the very end),
One reason why I am a total nut for UC. For back in the good ol' days, to set things straight, people actually had to work at it.

- Tak

Old 2012-10-05, 15:07   Link #390
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

I consider it more bittersweet in a different sense.

They themselves appear happy and content, but they didn't achieve what they soon set out to do and are forced to hide like criminals after the war because the things they did to try to achieve it, well, are things that aren't accepted by their sides, lol.

Hell, all the UC OVAs so far tend to end on a more bittersweet note, lol.

08th MS Team established, 0080...no need to say...lol, 0083 ending with a dropped colony and a...very weird relationship issue, and Unicorn has been similar so far too.
Old 2012-10-05, 15:28   Link #391
monster

Quote:
One reason why I am a total nut for UC. For back in the good ol' days, to set things straight, people actually had to work at it.

- Tak
You're that old, eh, to be talking about some good old days.

While it's true there are many things we young ones take for granted, it doesn't mean hard work wasn't involved. There's plenty blood, sweat, and tears shed in the non-UC timelines, literally. That includes the CE, AD, and AG timelines.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 15:49   Link #392
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And as far as U.C. is concerned, it never lasts, so their constant attempts at peace are an effort in futility.
Old 2012-10-05, 16:11   Link #393
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

That's also a more realistic thing; that there's never such a thing as the type of peace some characters are seeking. Total understanding between each side, total pacifism, true peace, and the likes. So long as mankind has free will and individuality, there would always be differences of opinion, which can lead to conflict, which can lead to war.

Alongside that, there's also the hatreds bred by previous wars (or continued devoted fanaticism) that also can lead to new wars because of their thirst for vengeance or some other motivation like we've constantly seen with attempts made by Zeon remnants from UC 0080 all the way to (unofficially anyway) the late UC 0110s with Mars Zeon/the Oldsmobile Army. Officially, the furthest would now be the Sleeves and (Neo) Zeon Remnants in Unicorn in UC 0096, including forces that have stayed hidden on Earth since the end of the One Year War (even still using an old Zaku I with a beam sniper from the earliest stages of the One Year War).
Old 2012-10-05, 17:11   Link #394
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
You're that old, eh, to be talking about some good old days.
Yeah, well, I was old enough to catch ZETA on (CRT!!) TV... so...

Quote:
While it's true there are many things we young ones take for granted, it doesn't mean hard work wasn't involved. There's plenty blood, sweat, and tears shed in the non-UC timelines, literally. That includes the CE, AD, and AG timelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera
I consider it more bittersweet in a different sense.
Yes, but at least the characters found a small measure of happiness, and I am glad they did. With all the hard work, they deserve it.

Personally, I don't think Aina or Shiro tried that hard to change the perspective of their factions, because I think even they thought it would have been futile. It was already pretty difficult to look past their own differences to reach the understanding that they, as individuals, did...

That being said, there is a small problem I have with recent AUs:

I acknowledge characters work hard to achieve their end, but its often portrayed as being too simplistic. Skills of of AU pilots are incredible, and certainly put UC aces such as the vaunted Amuro and/or Char to shame. I cannot recall an incident where Amuro or Char downed more than half-dozen enemies during a sortie. Certainly, you know they would survive, being necessary to the plot, but grunts sure as heck put an effort to make that endeavor difficult.

Later you have AU aces like Setsuna, Kira, and Kio, who can go out there and pretty much handle an entire battalion by themselves as if they were all playing a variation of Gundam Musou!

And that is despite the fact that mobile suits piloted by their foes aren't exactly on the bottom of the tech tree.

Then come the aftermath of the battle. UC is dead set on being realist. There is never a thing as everlasting peace. AU often simplify the approach and allow the protagonists to have it both ways. The sole exception to this so far I've seen is SEED/DESTINY.

Now, I do love certain AU to pieces, but its a personal observation I cannot ignore.

Quote:
and Unicorn has been similar so far too.
You might or might not be surprised by the eventual ending, then...

Lets just say its not extraordinary.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2012-10-05 at 18:08.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:52   Link #395
ingram1106

Gundam Seed and Gundam Age are my favorite.
OO was not my taste, it was skipped.
ingram1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 21:45   Link #396
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Yeah, well, I was old enough to catch ZETA on (CRT!!) TV... so...

Yes, but at least the characters found a small measure of happiness, and I am glad they did. With all the hard work, they deserve it.

Personally, I don't think Aina or Shiro tried that hard to change the perspective of their factions, because I think even they thought it would have been futile. It was already pretty difficult to look past their own differences to reach the understanding that they, as individuals, did...
I think they did the best they could considering they were only 2 people in the largest conflict of the UC era, lol.

Not to mention not SO many people were so (conveniently) idealistic like them nor did people just hesitate and/or cave in at pretty words, lol. (*coughcoughReycoughcough*)

Quote:

I acknowledge characters work hard to achieve their end, but its often portrayed as being too simplistic. Skills of of AU pilots are incredible, and certainly put UC aces such as the vaunted Amuro and/or Char to shame. I cannot recall an incident where Amuro or Char downed more than half-dozen enemies during a sortie. Certainly, you know they would survive, being necessary to the plot, but grunts sure as heck put an effort to make that endeavor difficult.

Later you have AU aces like Setsuna, Kira, and Kio, who can go out there and pretty much handle an entire battalion by themselves as if they were all playing a variation of Gundam Musou!

And that is despite the fact that mobile suits piloted by their foes aren't exactly on the bottom of the tech tree.

Then come the aftermath of the battle. UC is dead set on being realist. There is never a thing as everlasting peace. AU often simplify the approach and allow the protagonists to have it both ways. The sole exception to this so far I've seen is SEED/DESTINY.

Now, I do love certain AU to pieces, but its a personal observation I cannot ignore.
I'd say it's both pilot "improvements" coupled with making grunts and other non-important characters far worse coupled with, sometimes, huge MS tech disparities at times (like the 20 year old antique Leo vs. a modern Gundam in Wing until we got the Taurus and Virgo / Virgo II, which still ended up getting owned like nothing in the end) and, not to start any flame wars about it, but, more noticeable plot armor for the main characters (and less development overall, IMO).

In terms of enemy count, Amuro did down almost a dozen Rick Doms outside of Side 6 in Mobile Suit Gundam, but by then, he at least has the excuse of his Newtype powers being far more awakened, his own piloting having improved from the last couple months of battle, and him being more matured by that point than the beginning (as that was when he met Lalah, so into the last quarter of the series).

Quote:
You might or might not be surprised by the eventual ending, then...

Lets just say its not extraordinary.

- Tak
Yeah, I read up a bit and I'm not surprised, lol. Still, at least I don't think it's bad either.
Old 2012-10-05, 22:17   Link #397
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I agree with this. In fact, the simplicity (along with plot-holes, lack of logic, & rushness) of the overall story is what hurt shows like Gundam Wing and Gundam AGE the most. Aside from that, Gundam 00 2nd season also turned into a fighting-shounen show with all those mecha power-ups and characters shouting catch-phrases, fancy lines, and "Trans-Am!" out loud .

Quote:
Yeah, I read up a bit and I'm not surprised, lol. Still, at least I don't think it's bad either.
I really want to read it too, but I don't wanna be spoiled, so I choose not to.
Patience...patience...
Old 2012-10-05, 22:19   Link #398
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Aside from that, Gundam 00 2nd season also turned into fighting-shounen shows with all those mecha power-ups and characters shouting catch-phrases, fancy lines, and "Trans-Am!" out loud .
Marie! Marie!
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 23:26   Link #399
monster

Quote:

Well, all I will say at this point is: It takes a lot of hard work (among other things) to make it look easy.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 23:37   Link #400
Tak

Quote:
Well, all I will say at this point is: It takes a lot of hard work (among other things) to make it look easy.
Oooh, touche

- Tak