AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 48 52.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 29.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 9.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-16, 15:14   Link #21
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post

And what was these memories from the future ?
My guess is: death of Daddy, and murder of Mayurii by Moeka. And she is blaming Okabe for all of that.
Old 2011-08-16, 15:24   Link #22
Aqua Knight

Yeah, now I don't know what happens as the only spoils I got from nasty Youtube comments were about FB persona and the
Spoiler for spoilers game:
Old 2011-08-16, 15:26   Link #23
bakuramariks
The Observer

Miroku2192, the first ten minutes of the 1st ep. happens in the beta worldline. This worldline is the 'good' one, the 'bad' one is the alpha. About the rest - we shall see after waiting weeks again ;_;
Old 2011-08-16, 15:26   Link #24
Raiga
tl;dr

At first I was bogged down in the first five minutes because I kept switching to a chat window, but then all of a sudden once interruptions stopped it was the end of the episode already! What? Where did the time go???

So it looks like it's come down to the choice that everyone predicted...

Speaking of which people here are ridiculously good at theorizing. Who came up with the Ferdinand Braun one again? o__o
Old 2011-08-16, 15:39   Link #25
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This episode wasn't bad, but I felt it was a bit of wasted potential. I knew there was stuff cut from the VN without even having read it. Braun's whole story just wasn't there it seemed.

But oh well. Onto the rest of Steins;gate, which is presumably going to have the best parts of the VN I guess.

This is a dire situation though. It was in the back of my mind whether or not they'd have to confront the first D-mail, but as it would happen, it seems they have to do something about it.
Old 2011-08-16, 15:41   Link #26
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Same, but it's easy to see why they would change it.

This series really is good at choosing cliff hangers, I gotta say.
Or it would, if we don't see it coming from episodes before. Okabe, this is Sophie, she's made her choice and it's now your turn. I hope there's a gamma timeline, where not only does Kurisu and Mayuri are both still alive, but pretty much anyone including Suzuha, even Moeka and Mr. Braun...

Looking at the spoiler, it's clear that the anime cuts quite a bit of stuff from the VN, but I'm not complaining that much since I can understand why they did that, also the anime's story flows pretty well and still makes sense on its own. One thing that I found a bit disappointing though, is that they rush Moeka's and Mr. Braun's development a bit. It's similar to how Feyris' and Ruka's episode is rushed, whereas they spent quite a lot of time with Suzuha. I don't know, I think Moeka's apology is a bit rushed, and the fact that Mr. Braun has been FB all along raises so many questions.

For example, does this mean he knew all along what Okabe's doing upstairs, does the fact that they need his CRT TV on deliberate or just coincidence, how does his past to be recruited by SERN and taken care of by Suzu lines up, etc etc...I know their story is basically over just like Feyris and Rukako, but considering they will obviously confront SERN in future episodes, that might come up...that's what I'm hoping for, anyway.
Old 2011-08-16, 15:53   Link #27
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would've liked more info on Braun's circumstances too, but whatever.

Poor Okabe. Mad scientists never catch a break do they?
Old 2011-08-16, 15:55   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode was incredible. The final five minutes left me utterly speechless. Even though it had been speculated earlier, I couldn't imagine Mr. Braun could be evil, so I never thought it'd really turn out to be FB. And sure enough, he wasn't exactly evil (though he's certainly no angel either, he psychologically manipulated Moeka and the others like a pro), he was just another puppet of SERN. If Moeka can be forgiven, then surely, so can he.

As for the more light-hearted moments of this episode, I really enjoyed Mayuri and Nae's interaction as always. Kurisu, when someone greets you with Tutturu~, you have to answer with tutturu! It's common sense! Yes, I was very disappointed she didn't say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
A ok episode that settle things on Moeka and FB side, although they could potentially do better (at least, it wasn't as flat as Rukako's side).
Oh you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Spoiler for VN Difference:

Spoiler for VN CG if you REALLY want to see the difference:
HOLY SHIT! That's just... holy shit. Nothing to tutturu about. Although I thought the anime version was also very impactful, I really wish they had included that, as

Spoiler for VN spoiler:

And why do I always click on those spoilers, damnit... screw you, curiosity!
Old 2011-08-16, 16:02   Link #29
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest, I don't think I would've been able to take a psycho loli seriously, so I have mixed feelings about that. I reckon it was probably best for the story to leave that out.
Old 2011-08-16, 16:20   Link #30
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Spoiler for VN spoiler:

Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2011-08-16, 16:23   Link #31
User165949
Disabled By Request

after the two most recent episodes, it's safe to say that Moeka's seyuu is really good. poor girl, almost always bound to do funny characters (like Inko-chan -_-) but she can deliver dramatic performances for sure...
Old 2011-08-16, 17:49   Link #32
Elestia

Decent episode, but there was a definite lack of tension or built throughout the revelations. Again, this is probably due to the cut material from the visual novel that made it hard for me to truly empathize with Mr. Braun or Moeka; her death at the end and apology fell flat for me. The pacing lately has just been difficult for me to really get immersed in the drama, but it still managed to wring out some emotions of pity and sympathy.
Old 2011-08-16, 17:52   Link #33
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Psycho loli was fun in the game, but if they want to include it in the anime realistically they need one more episode for the setup and solution, which would mean they need to take out time for the ending. Between that and doing the ending justice, ending all the way.
Old 2011-08-16, 18:06   Link #34
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

I'm the only one who think that the reason why Kurisu will be working for the Sern in one of the main line is that she wants to save Okarin ? After all, in this time line, Okarin will be killed before they will be able to make a timemachine. So in order to save him, Kurisu decides to work with the Sern to be able to make a time machine.
Old 2011-08-16, 18:16   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 20 thoughts in spoiler space below. Slight references to differences between this episode and the VN there...

Spoiler for Steins;Gate Episode 20:
Old 2011-08-16, 18:32   Link #36
Eater of All
NOM

Steins;Gate got me here... I originally thought "obtaining IBN to erase SERN's data of them" has no relation to "erasing the first D-mail and causing Kurisu to die", but I forgot that the reason the worldline shifted in the first place was because SERN got data of them (from the first D-mail). Derp.

Which means Kurisu screwed herself over by giving this idea to Okarin.
Old 2011-08-16, 18:47   Link #37
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Hey, something beats me... if in the original world line they could save Kurisu by Okabe letting Daru know about her death with its D-mail, can't they possibly create other logical D-Mails to save Mayuri to move on to other worldlines which is not either alpha or beta they're in? I know Mayuri's death was certain, so she died in whatever circumstances Okabe D-mailed, but I feel strange that Kurisu was saved by that very first D-mail while they can't save Mayuri whatever Okabe does. I guess the most logical way is to find and send other coherent D-mails in order to save Mayuri and fight the SERNs back.

Btw, have Mister Braun and Moeka been saved by that D-mail or are they at the same situation as Mayuri? Man, I really should get this VN thing asap
Old 2011-08-16, 19:01   Link #38
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I can't believe they were betrayed by "Mister Braun"! Didn't think he was involved in all of this, but I suppose he had too much screen time to not be connected . Don't think there is anyone else who had some large amount of time who doesn't have a role already assigned to them.

Kind of sad that only now does Okabe get that he has to undo the last d-mail and it's effect. I can let it go since he's been so mentally stressed and focused on saving Mayuri. But now he's got to figure out what to do. Can he sacrifice Kurisu to save Mayuri and stop the SERN dystopia? Or which I would certainly prefer saving both of them and moving to a third timeline. I mean really why should they be limited only to the option of killing one or the other?
Old 2011-08-16, 19:46   Link #39
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I'm the only one who think that the reason why Kurisu will be working for the Sern in one of the main line is that she wants to save Okarin ? After all, in this time line, Okarin will be killed before they will be able to make a timemachine. So in order to save him, Kurisu decides to work with the Sern to be able to make a time machine.
After Suzuha's revelation back in her arc about Okabe being the leader of the rebel group, I find it hard to believe that her timeline is one where Kurisu knew Okabe and was forced into working for SERN to save him. More likely it was a timeline where she never met Okabe, possibly stayed close to her father, and was drawn into SERN that way.
Old 2011-08-16, 21:02   Link #40
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
I just went back and investigated Episode 1 of Steins Gate.

So I see that Suzuha was dressed up in a "worker's" outfit and gave the "no problem" or nothing to worry about sign I guess up top and Okabe left.

Afterwards, Kurisu from alpha line pulls Okabe from the lecture room and asks why he approached her earlier with a concerned look. Minutes later, we hear a scream, clearly Okabe's anguished scream (I'm assuming as he finds out that Kurisu is stabbed).

^This is where I'm lost/confused. Why are there TWO Okabe's now? When in each world line we've only had ONE Okabe with a transfer of his memories. Secondly, thinking about who WOULD stab Kurisu, the only one I could possibly imagine is Suzuha. Suzuha must've stabbed Kurisu upon landing because that way Kurisu wouldn't help SERN out. However, if the Alpha line is supposed to be the good world, then why is Suzuha even in that Alpha line time-traveling back in the first place?

Someone please explain this to me! I think I might've missed something or I am using a bad assumption.
That's the million dollar question that the anime has made a very good job of keeping for the big finale. I personally don't think that the timeline where it all started is the safe timeline cause otherwise there wouldn't have been a time machine popping up in the roof now would it?

If we assume that the timeline from episode one is the alpha timeline then that means that Suzuha was wrong and the alpha timeline isn't the safe one and Okabe will need to find another gamma line where both Kurisu and Mayuri are safe (with bonus points if SERN doesn't win in the end).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
At first I was bogged down in the first five minutes because I kept switching to a chat window, but then all of a sudden once interruptions stopped it was the end of the episode already! What? Where did the time go???

So it looks like it's come down to the choice that everyone predicted...

Speaking of which people here are ridiculously good at theorizing. Who came up with the Ferdinand Braun one again? o__o
I figured folks round these parts were good at theorizing when major plot points of madoka magica were already being discussed in the threads before episode 3 even aired.