Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-04, 13:19   Link #9681
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
I'm of two minds here. Of course, one side agrees with you. On the other hand, we see again the amazing QANTAS reputation for safety coupled with how a modern day jet can go bang and still have good control. It's a factor of luck too, but still amazing stuff.
We had no flight zones as big as western europe when this iceland volcano was spewing ashes. But flying to singapore passing indonesia where there is a currently very active volcano spewing ashes like you know what... seems to be no problem for Quantas. Now I really wonder if those ashes could cause an engine failure... and if so, what it means for the reputation of Quantas.
Old 2010-11-04, 13:33   Link #9682
flying ^

This is just WRONG at all levels
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/03/
Old 2010-11-04, 14:55   Link #9683
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it, other than the parent being stupid and over-reacting.

Tons of "sacred" things are translated all the time.
Old 2010-11-04, 15:07   Link #9684
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I guess he meant faux news in general ^^'
Old 2010-11-04, 15:27   Link #9685
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I guess he meant faux news in general ^^'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it, other than the parent being stupid and over-reacting.

Tons of "sacred" things are translated all the time.
you can read it both ways
Old 2010-11-04, 15:49   Link #9686
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ahmadinejad criticized by Iran Revolutionary Guards
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1782292/
What, even the hardliners have something agains him!
Old 2010-11-04, 17:32   Link #9687
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Wow, not racist at all, is she? If the kid didn't have an issue with it, then I can't se what the fuss is about. Isn't that how you learn languages, with phrases used in everyday life?

Teacher: OK, Dave, pleas recite for me the entirety of "Auld Lang Syne" in French.
Dave: Get knotted, that doesn't even make sense in Scottish.
Teacher: See you in detention.
Old 2010-11-04, 22:53   Link #9688
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
We had no flight zones as big as western europe when this iceland volcano was spewing ashes. But flying to singapore passing indonesia where there is a currently very active volcano spewing ashes like you know what... seems to be no problem for Quantas. Now I really wonder if those ashes could cause an engine failure... and if so, what it means for the reputation of Quantas.
Singapore Airlines cleared their A380s last night. Which one of my engineer friends working there described as "getting their job done -swee swee- (meaning perfectly) once and for all so they can go home for Deepavali."

Nothing like a public holiday to motivate employees to get their work done fast and perfect so they don't have to be recalled from lazing around at home.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-04, 23:32   Link #9689
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

They probably may have to restrict all flights throughout Indonesia, the Malay Peninsula, and maybe even northern Australia, at least for a certain period. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that this occured in that portion of the world right while that volcano was going off. Is the distance from, say, Frankfurt to Iceland about greater or smaller than the distance from Merapi to Singapore?

Either way, grounding all A380's may also be a wise move for the moment. And of course there should be some kind of inquiry on Qantas' maintenance policies.
Old 2010-11-05, 00:49   Link #9690
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Singapore Airlines cleared their A380s last night. Which one of my engineer friends working there described as "getting their job done -swee swee- (meaning perfectly) once and for all so they can go home for Deepavali."

Nothing like a public holiday to motivate employees to get their work done fast and perfect so they don't have to be recalled from lazing around at home.
Blame HK. The engine had been overhauled in Hong Kong by Rolls-Royce. (theage.com.au) And before that, maintained in Germany, with Lufthansa, which doesn't even use Rolls-Royce engines. And BEFORE that, In late 2007, Qantas planned a new maintenance deal with Malaysian Airlines to do work in Malaysia. But that deal was rapidly cancelled after one aircraft was serviced and came back with problems. (news.com.au)

Oh well.

Meanwhile, a timeline of Qantas incidents.
Old 2010-11-05, 01:28   Link #9691
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Considering this flight had only taken off 7 or 8 minutes prior to the big bang (no, not the mile high club... dirty minded folks ) and the sheer considerable bulk those four engines have to shift under full power on take-off, it was probably just a part that had fail in rather tough circumstances. Jet engines tend to not like being on full power for longer than necessary and disintegrate after a while if left to it's own full noise agenda.

Probably a tolerance issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 2010-11-05, 02:29   Link #9692
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Considering this flight had only taken off 7 or 8 minutes prior to the big bang (no, not the mile high club... dirty minded folks ) and the sheer considerable bulk those four engines have to shift under full power on take-off, it was probably just a part that had fail in rather tough circumstances. Jet engines tend to not like being on full power for longer than necessary and disintegrate after a while if left to it's own full noise agenda.

Probably a tolerance issue that needs to be addressed.
But still, these engines are typically very well maintained, it is very rare that the blades brake loose. Volcanic ashes could be a likely scenario here.
When a jet engine is exposed to volcanic ashes, they are molten inside the jet engine. This can cause engine failure when the engine is exposed to the ashes for sustained periods.
But shorter exposure times can be critical too, since the molten ashes will crystalize on the turbine blades when the engine cools down (e.g. while on ground). The especially hard workload for the turbines at the lift off phase can then cause serious trouble when the ashes' weight is distributed rather asymetric. Considering the immense forces on the turbine blades under standard conditions, this could cause broken blades that will disintegrate the engine rather violently.
Old 2010-11-05, 05:02   Link #9693
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Census to detail rapid greying of China
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1786390/
Old 2010-11-05, 08:35   Link #9694
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

This is rather interesting...

It's interesting how the Japanese seem to associate epicanthic folds as being a feature of "other" Asian people, and not of themselves. It reminds me of that manga, "Hating the Korean wave". All the Japanese are portrayed with typical big round anime eye's, while the Koreans are depicted as having slant eyed features.
Old 2010-11-05, 09:18   Link #9695
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This is rather interesting...

It's interesting how the Japanese seem to associate epicanthic folds as being a feature of "other" Asian people, and not of themselves. It reminds me of that manga, "Hating the Korean wave". All the Japanese are portrayed with typical big round anime eye's, while the Koreans are depicted as having slant eyed features.
Wonder if they were sorry for the action or sorry for being caught? I guess the latter this time around.

Controversy: The definition of free publicity.
Old 2010-11-05, 11:40   Link #9696
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Another Qantas airplane than left Singapore had motor problem:
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6A435P20101105
It's looking more like the previous problem was a Qantas issue than an A380 issue.
Old 2010-11-05, 13:29   Link #9697
flying ^

Great news!

Spoiler for :
Old 2010-11-05, 14:59   Link #9698
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Controversy: The definition of free publicity.
Not when it comes to race, and I think Japan despite being a predominantly Homogeneous society is starting to realize that.
Old 2010-11-05, 15:33   Link #9699
flying ^

MSNBC's Olberman suspended indefinitely.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_779586.html

anyways check out his quality commentary
this was was way before he went to MSNBC and ESPN
http://www.youtube.com/v/9mBVex8kosw
Old 2010-11-05, 21:25   Link #9700
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Not when it comes to race, and I think Japan despite being a predominantly Homogeneous society is starting to realize that.
Well, at least they've used up the race card for publicity. They'll be on drugs next time out...

I'm not a cynical man.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international