AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-02, 03:06   Link #181
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
I'd note Chrono prefers storage devices though, since I think there is little doubt he could lay his hands on an ID if he wanted it.
Between S2U for his general needs and Durandal for the big guns, I think he's quite comfortable with what he's got.
Old 2011-09-02, 03:22   Link #182
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
What mortality? >.>
In StrikerS Tsuzuki seemed to be setting up Vita's death, but chickened out.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2011-09-02, 11:25   Link #183
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
In StrikerS Tsuzuki seemed to be setting up Vita's death, but chickened out.
Exactly. You kinda missed my sarcasm. >.>
Old 2011-09-02, 19:56   Link #184
Gaunt88

That's what I meant when I said not much came of it - it was being set up as a plotline, but in the end nothing really happened.
Old 2011-09-07, 15:34   Link #185
Sunder the Gold

OBSERVATIONS ON THE SCYRA CLAN AND YUUNO'S RELATION WITH THEM, and conclusions based thereon.

We never see another Scrya in the series. There are no Scrya working in the Infinite Library. All of the Scrya would be gone on expeditions without leaving anyone at a central home. Plenty of other archaeologist-types appear in Sound Stage X without any mention of the Scrya. In short, the Scyra do not seem to have a very strong presence in the TSAB's federated world.

Conclusion: Despite the word-choice of the translation, the Scrya are not the sizeable "tribe" that I have long thought they were. Instead, they're probably a small clan in the sense of two or three nuclear families living and working together as an extended, multi-generational family unit. Their family history as an archaeologist clan may only be as old as the TSAB itself, beginning 50-60 years ago with the grandparents' generation.

Note: I don't recall Chrono, Lindy or Amy making any remark along the lines of "Oh, you're one of THOSE Scryas", so the Clan might not have a reputation outside of the archaeological/academic community. Yuuno might be the first one to establish such, with his discovery of the Jewel Seeds, involvement in two Lost Logia cases, and appointment as Chief of the Infinite Archives.

The Scrya have a "family tent", with a lively, busy atmosphere that Yuuno likens to a flower-viewing party hosting over 60 people. The flower-viewing was not held inside a tent, being held out-doors, so this is not saying that 60 people were packed in the tent at once.

Thoughts: I'm not sure whether the family tent was where everyone ate and slept and hung out, or if it just served as a living room and office, with nuclear families sleeping in their own tents. But a communal sleeping arrangement would help explain how Yuuno was raised by the whole tribe without specific adoptive parents.

The Scrya Clan as a whole raised Yuuno, who had no parents. As opposed to sending him to an orphanage somewhere. However, no specific person or couple in the Clan took him on as their own child.

Possibility 1: Yuuno was born to at least one member of the Scrya Clan who died during or shortly after childbirth. Since he was a blood-relative, the Clan decided to keep him rather than give him up, but no one could bring themselves to replace their family member by acting as Yuuno's mother or father.

Possibility 2: Yuuno was adopted by a soft-hearted Scrya despite the misgivings of the Clan, much as Nanoha ended up adopting Vivio despite her own misgivings. Except that Yuuno's adoptive parent died shortly thereafter, and the Clan didn't have the heart to send him away after that. But no one felt motivated to become his mother or father.

Yuuno says that he was "always alone from the start", despite being raised by the whole Scrya Clan and considering them all to be his family, and despite a close and lively atmosphere provided by things like family tents.

Conclusion: Not only were the nuclear families of the Clan looking after their own children without directly adopting Yuuno, none of their children were Yuuno's own age. Logically, all of them would have been older than him. And his clan was always out on one expedition after another, so Yuuno wouldn't have any contact with children his own age outside of the Clan.

Extrapolation: Much like Nanoha, Yuuno spent much of his time left to his own devices, or being babysat in a rotating shift by whoever was taking a break or not looking after their own children. From this, Yuuno developed into an independent individual much like Nanoha, and also a good student.

Only, whereas Nanoha was a good student for Earth's curriculum, Yuuno's study materials were Midchildan-style magic and all of the sciences and humanities involved in archaeology: anthropology, paleontology, mineralogy, linguistics, history, sociology...

Yuuno kept himself occupied so much, and behaved himself so well, that the busy Scyra Clan never noticed how lonely he felt.

A-rank mages are rare, and even someone as "dangerous" as Caro was only B rank at best by the time of StrikerS. Though Caro was dangerous less because of her personal power, and more because what power she did have allowed her to call forth an external source of much greater power: Voltaire. Yuuno, on the other hand, had no such connection to a fightening beast.

Conclusion: Yuuno was a rare exceptional talent within his clan. Unlike 10 year old Caro, 9 year old Yuuno could fly without the assistance of a Device or Dragon. He could not use shooting or bombardment magic, but he already had a thorough mastery of fields (more so than 14-year-old Chrono), barriers, shields, binds, and scrying spells (good enough to make the Infinite Library his plaything), and at least some ability with increase magic (which includes healing), whereas Caro was pretty much limited to increase magic.

Their abilities at teleportation might be equal, since that's generally a specialty for summoners -- hence their ability to summon at all. Except that between the two of them, Yuuno is the one who can definitely teleport targets against their will. And possibly also teleport to different planets.

Extrapolation: Delighted to have such a prodigy among them, the Scyra taught him all of the magic that they could, save for the two kinds he just couldn't do. Thus, his mastery of many different fields of defense and support magic.

Yuuno would have asked his clan about his parents, and whatever they told him would have contributed a great deal to his present character. With that in mind, what legacy seems to mesh with Yuuno as we know him today?

* If his parents had died because of a freak cave in, he might have resolved to be a strong defensive mage to protect himself and others from accidents.

* If his parents died because someone had tampered with a Lost Logia they had unearth, Yuuno might have developed a conviction to see all Lost Logia found and safely sealed away so that they couldn't hurt anyone else again.

* If pirates had killed his parents to get at the treasure they dug up, he might hate thieves like Precia all the more.

* If his parents died because of a Lost Logia they were trying to unearth, Yuuno might blame archaeology for his orphanhood and grow to hate his clan's profession.

* If his parents simply abandoned him and their clan, he would be ashamed of himself and wonder why he was so bad that his parents wanted to leave him behind.
Old 2011-09-07, 16:23   Link #186
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Conclusion: Despite the word-choice of the translation, the Scrya are not the sizeable "tribe" that I have long thought they were. Instead, they're probably a small clan in the sense of two or three nuclear families living and working together as an extended, multi-generational family unit. Their family history as an archaeologist clan may only be as old as the TSAB itself, beginning 50-60 years ago with the grandparents' generation.
Define 'sizable tribe.' Tribes don't need to be thousands of people, so their presence not being visible on a world is no real surprise.

Quote:
Possibility 1: Yuuno was born to at least one member of the Scrya Clan who died during or shortly after childbirth. Since he was a blood-relative, the Clan decided to keep him rather than give him up, but no one could bring themselves to replace their family member by acting as Yuuno's mother or father.
Doesn't have to be something so emotional. Could be simple "a child of the tribe, not a child of one" tribal mentality.

Quote:
Conclusion: Not only were the nuclear families of the Clan looking after their own children without directly adopting Yuuno, none of their children were Yuuno's own age. Logically, all of them would have been older than him. And his clan was always out on one expedition after another, so Yuuno wouldn't have any contact with children his own age outside of the Clan.
Again, this could be tribal mentality rather than Yuuno being abandoned. Just that Yuuno didn't really mesh well with that mentality.

Quote:
Yuuno would have asked his clan about his parents, and whatever they told him would have contributed a great deal to his present character. With that in mind, what legacy seems to mesh with Yuuno as we know him today?

* If his parents had died because of a freak cave in, he might have resolved to be a strong defensive mage to protect himself and others from accidents.
Possible.

Quote:
* If his parents died because someone had tampered with a Lost Logia they had unearth, Yuuno might have developed a conviction to see all Lost Logia found and safely sealed away so that they couldn't hurt anyone else again.
Would also have a high chance of him developing a fear of lost logia. At any rate it would make him extremely cautious around them, something he did not show in S1. Unlikely.

Quote:
* If pirates had killed his parents to get at the treasure they dug up, he might hate thieves like Precia all the more.
Possible, though he never mentions thieves in particular.

Quote:
* If his parents died because of a Lost Logia they were trying to unearth, Yuuno might blame archaeology for his orphanhood and grow to hate his clan's profession.
Considering he's proud of his archeological skills? Highly unlikely.

Quote:
* If his parents simply abandoned him and their clan, he would be ashamed of himself and wonder why he was so bad that his parents wanted to leave him behind.
Possible, though a tad needlessly dark for my tastes.
Old 2011-09-07, 16:47   Link #187
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Define 'sizable tribe.' Tribes don't need to be thousands of people, so their presence not being visible on a world is no real surprise.
I envision a "tribe" as a people large enough that they can intermarry only among each other without inbreeding.

Basically, a group so large that they start to have their own unique cultural identity.

As I imagine is the case with the Lu Rushe Tribe.

The Scyra are probably space-faring rather than confining themselves to one planet. At the very least, they cannot be as seclusive as the Lu Rushe, since they are archaeologists.

A culture devoted primarily to archaeology as a profession, rather than hunting or gathering, cultivating or herding? How would they support themselves? The primary business of a culture is first of all to feed its people, and second of all to defend themselves. Not to hunt for relics of the past.

Basically, the Scrya don't sound like a self-sustaining people, but rather more like a family business.

Quote:
Doesn't have to be something so emotional. Could be simple "a child of the tribe, not a child of one" tribal mentality.
Then why did Yuuno say "I was always alone from the start" as though that weren't normal?

And he says that he was raised by the Clan because he didn't have parents. A direct cause-and-effect correlation, not two unconnected facts.

He did NOT say, "In my clan, all children are raised by everyone."

Quote:
Again, this could be tribal mentality rather than Yuuno being abandoned. Just that Yuuno didn't really mesh well with that mentality.
Even if you're right about communal parentage and about Yuuno being an oddball, would that really prevent Yuuno from forming childhood friendships with other children his own age?

No, I really think that there just were no other children his own age for Yuuno to befriend. Nanoha at least had Arisa and Suzuka, and Chrono apparently had Amy, Accous and Charim.

Quote:
Would also have a high chance of him developing a fear of lost logia. At any rate it would make him extremely cautious around them, something he did not show in S1. Unlikely.
Was Chrono afraid of the Wolkenritter or Book of Darkness?

And caution is something you can't afford when the Jewel Seeds are already on the loose. But was it really wise to travel all alone to a strange planet where he could not use magic openly, in order to take on all 21 Jewel Seeds by himself?

Rather than caution, that seems to indicate a great deal of concern for the damage Lost Logia can do if not immediately sealed away. Just as Chrono had strong motivation to seal the Book of Darkness away as quickly as possible.
Old 2011-09-08, 19:59   Link #188
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Yeah they criticize nanoha for being reckless, but they appear to enjoy a bit themselves on that note.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-09-12, 20:40   Link #189
Sunder the Gold

Does anyone else care to venture anything on Yuuno's parents?
Old 2011-09-12, 21:30   Link #190
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Not sure if you notice this but I posted this weeks before you showed up here

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...90#post3733890

Since there is basically no family tree for Yuuno. Anything goes.
Old 2011-09-13, 17:29   Link #191
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
Not sure if you notice this but I posted this weeks before you showed up here

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...90#post3733890

Since there is basically no family tree for Yuuno. Anything goes.
I saw, and yes, anything can go.

But while that idea is possible, it's not very likely. It's also very sensational, and I think Yuuno is interesting enough without having to pull a surprise twist. Because which, I'm afraid of the backlash from those who don't like him, who might accuse me of trying to make him too important.

Anyway, as someone else pointed out, the DNA test they ran on Vivio didn't turn up any living relatives, so Yuuno isn't related to her at all. Though they might belong to the same ethnicity, which would cover their similar coloration.

But, the royal families of the time were heavily into genetically modifying themselves and their heirs. I don't think breeding for "no shooting/bombardment talent at all" would have been considered favorable.

Though it's possible that he was a genetic failure in that regard.

And yes, it is possible that someone tucked him away in a cryo-pod as a baby, and that the Scyra Tribe found him, gave him their name, and raised him as their own.

Though in that case, I think at least one of them would have directly adopted him as their own personal child.
Old 2011-12-16, 19:16   Link #192
Sunder the Gold

Here's a question for you:

How are the Scyra Clan any different from the criminal ruin-scavengers?
Old 2011-12-16, 20:36   Link #193
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Considering that the only Scrya we know is Yuuno, and making an opinion regarding an entire clan just with of one example who may or may not be in the minority is absurd...I have no idea
Old 2011-12-16, 21:30   Link #194
Sunder the Gold

Why make an opinion when you can make an educated guess? But I'm inviting people to think about this along with me.

Mostly the question is inspired by how Hayate and Fate spoke in StrikerS about "illegal excavations" by people looking for overtechnology, mass-based weapons, and Lost Logia.

I wondered what a "legal" excavation would entail, given that these scavenger hunts were likely happening on unadministered or uninhabited worlds.

I doubt that the Scrya stop to ask permission to dig on such out-of-the-way worlds, or that the TSAB took care to police them or send anyone along to monitor their activities. They probably openly book civilian/commercial ships in order to get to their destinations, but since when does "non-clandestine" mean "legal"?

Still, I suppose that's not a fair question to ask about a statement that's possibly just silly no matter how you look at it, so I'll move on.

The principle difference between "graverobbers" and the Scyra are the things they intend to find and what they intend to do with them. Graverobbers go looking for anything people are willing to pay money for, or anything they can use. The Scrya are looking for clues to the past.

These are not mutually exclusive things, since there are people who are willing to pay money for the secrets of the past. Consider this possible scenario:

The Scrya and a band of graverobbers ended up touching down at the same dig site. At first, they ignore each other -- the Scrya don't want a fight and calling the authorities would only provoke one, and the bandits don't want a fight because that will earn them the wrath of the TSAB.

Only they each have the poor luck to land on the sides of the ruin that doesn't contain the things they want -- turns out the armory was over THERE and the public library was over THERE. Oops.

So, outside the eye of the law and without the power to safely perform a citizen's arrest, the Scrya Clan might step aside and let the bandits make off with the weapons while the bandits leave the library largely unmolested.

The Scyra Clan probably is not interested in going out of their way to help the TSAB police weaponry and Lost Logia. Finding the Jewel Seeds was a fluke and something the Scrya handed off to the feds as quickly as possible. Then, notably, only one of them bothered to do anything after the Jewel Seeds went missing, and he was likely the youngest and most idealistic member. He was also the one who personally found them and felt the most responsible.

The Scrya Clan might also have know exactly about the sorry state of the Infinite Library and how little care the feds took to organize and research all of the information recovered about other worlds and the past. If so, they would probably keep looking primarily for themselves, the academic community, and the good of future generations.
Old 2011-12-17, 05:26   Link #195
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

There are a variety of ways to perform archeology. One can simply touch down and study an area, not taking anything from the site. More intrusive studies take everything of archaeological value. Since this means you will essentially be digging up a plot of land, it's likely permission is required should this land belong to someone. Most land dug up in our world does, so archaeologists have to receive permission virtually every time.

In the case of the Nanohaverse, there is a great chance of archaeologists stumbling on live and dangerous weaponry as well. Given that this puts the lives of many in danger, it seems logical that permission would be required before surveys can be conducted.

Given the vast amount of space Mid Childa alone already has that is ripe for archeology, it is possible the Scrya clan as a whole received permission to perform archeology, rather than increase the bureaucratic load of approving each and every plot they research. Though this is not the way archeology usually works.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-12-17 at 14:16.
Old 2011-12-17, 12:12   Link #196
Sunder the Gold

Ooh, nice idea! A general license to dig.

Probably, they have to keep detailed records of their entire expedition and everything they find, which they turn over to the TSAB in addition to their findings.

Anyone who wants to be legitimate archaeologists or scavengers HAS to register with the Bureau first, or else they can't release or sell their findings in the legitimate public without giving away their criminal activities.

On the other hand, that DOES encourage anyone who wants to dig illegally (because passing the background check and earning the license is a pain) to sell these things on the black market, but it wouldn't be the first time that a looks-good-on-paper law has not actually helped matters.
Old 2011-12-17, 12:16   Link #197
Lycodrake

...Yuuno Scrya the Digger? *insert diabolical laughter*

On a serious note, does anyone have any thoughts on what Yuuno *could be* doing during ViVid and Force (so far)? I've read theories that he might be training...or has been officially demoted to less-than an extra.
Thoughts?
Old 2011-12-17, 13:03   Link #198
Sunder the Gold

Officially = someone in charge makes a statement
Technically = the rules make a statement
Effectively = actions make a statement that may or may not be consistent with what the rules or boss says.

Yuuno is officially still a character, technically still an important figure, and effectively vanished from the face of the world.

I generally don't think about what he's doing in Force, because it doesn't feel like anything he could be doing would make sense with his character. Not after he sat out all of the danger in StrikerS, which is a gross mischaracterization.

Even now, if he could do nothing else in Force, he could be helping the heroes with his powers of instant teleportation, deploying them instantly where needed, removing them from danger when things got bad, and even jumping into battle to suicidally grab a Huckebein and teleport them away where the Huck can't hurt anyone.

Because that's the kind of guy that Yuuno is, all arguments of "just a librarian" be damned. A simple scholar wouldn't have had such a comprehensive set of combat spells at age 9. It's like saying that Nanoha should retire because she can't be a mother and a fighter at the same time.

I'm more willing to think about what Yuuno's doing in ViVid, because it's not a life-or-death situation where his absence would count as a mark against his character.

However, there's absolutely no chance of an "unsafe" male character appearing in that Single Gender World. Zafira got a pass because he's older than dirt, a father figure, a familiar rather than a human, at least half wolf, and none of the girls are Kokonoe Rin.

No one's asked Yuuno to explain anything since StrikerS, despite the fact that he's still the most qualified person to do so. I'd be thrilled to tears if Els Tamin turns out to have recieved training from the man as a fellow Boundary Mage, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
...Yuuno Scrya the Digger? *insert diabolical laughter*
"Your's is the chain that will bind the heavens!"

"Your's is the shield that will support the heavens!"

"Your's is the divination will reveal the heavens!"

"Your's is the field that will rule the heavens!"

There are number of possibilities for him. He's a lighthouse, a tower, a fortress, and a shield.
Old 2011-12-17, 16:00   Link #199
Lycodrake

Agreed. Most of which is why I haven't paid much attention to after StrikerS.

They threw him away for reasons that I can't even begin to understand, other than trying to fuel the masses' NanoFate fan-tardation.

In ViVid and Force, I think he would be an asset all around for the TSAB in dealing with the Hucks.
He has all of that information at his disposal, and yet he's shoved aside.

Yuuno has a lot of potential. That they'd deliberately wasted. For no decent or good reason, IMHO.

Also, who is "Els Tamin"???
Old 2011-12-17, 16:30   Link #200
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

She's the girl in glasses in ViVid. She's acting as the Inter-Middle's announcer, though she'll participate in the tournament itself as a contestant.