AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 20:15   Link #241
solidvanz
Special Operative

WonderCon 2013: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Pacific Rim’ Panel: http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2013/03/3...ific-rim-panel
Old 2013-03-30, 20:42   Link #242
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Trading cards to be sold at Wondercon:

Striker Eureka is freaking HAXX
My guess is that it was created first so it had the most kill count so far?

The Japanese one also seems to have specs that hint at a possible mech upgrade in the middle of the movie
Old 2013-03-30, 20:43   Link #243
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
Seriously, Kaiju also love to stay in Australia or what ? Eureka Striker got 11 kill count! I just hope it won't be the target of the worf effect in the middle of the movie.
Well it's possible that Eureka Striker could get a heroic sacrifice/last stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
My guess is that it was created first so it had the most kill count so far?
Very unlikely. Not with the specs that Strike Eureaka has. It's the fastest of all the Jaegers, while still managing to be nearly as durable as the Cherno Alpha. For Strike Eureaka to match a purpose built bruiser like Cherno Alpha head on like that requires it to be a much more advanced design.

Strike Eureaka is likely a new, state of the art Jaeger. It's high kill count probably comes from other countries requesting its presence due to its high combat ability. If it gets treated as a vanguard unit, it'll probably have tons of opportunities to earn its kills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
The Japanese one also seems to have specs that hint at a possible mech upgrade in the middle of the movie
Doubtful. I think it's more likely that it's going to get completely totaled early in the movie. How else are they going to justify having a Japanese pilot in the American Jaeger unless Japanese Jaeger gets taken out?

Besides. I'm pretty sure Gypsy Danger is supposed to be the hero mech.

also, my hypothetical rank up of the Jaegers by generation.

Spoiler for hypothetical Jaeger genertaional development:

This would tie in with progressively improving Jaegers. Coyote Tango is probably the oldest model, and would probably be obsolete if not for the desperation of the situation. Given it's low kill count given its presumed age, it probably wasn't nearly as good at fighting Kaiju as the later models.

Jaegers like Gipsy danger were probably the start of Generation II, when they started to get the hang of building Jaegers down. It's pretty much a straight up improvement in every category to something like the Coyote Tango, though superior Jaegers were clearly made after Gipsy Danger. It fits in with development stuff that emphasized the protagonists doing battle in an older Jaeger model, as opposed to a state of the art one.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-03-30 at 21:24.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 22:56   Link #244
Azuma Denton
~AD~

JAPAN !!!
Why are you underachieved?
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 23:13   Link #245
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All they could afford or "defensive" weapons only under Article 9 of their Consitution?

Or the producers thought it would be funny to have Japan, the country that has the monsters attacking as a theme since the 1950s, as the weak one.

Oddly it is almost the largest and heavies mech yet the weakest.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:21   Link #246
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Saw a preview of this today. TBH while I'm not expecting much, it does seem kinda fun. Loved Glados though, at first I was like 'wut, Portal movie?!' But than the big mechs that are controlled by 'syncing' to them roll up (and I'm guess they send feedback to the pilot based off the preview) and its suddenly Evangellion.

Those pictures up the page are funny, its nice to see Australia leading something like that - all that dangerous wildlife here had to have been good training for something! Those Kaijuu would be mauled by the spiders down here! probably the sheep to.

I do hope they go back after this to make that At the Mountains of Madness movie though, I really want a GOOD Lovecraft movie.
Old 2013-03-31, 03:16   Link #247
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

also, my hypothetical rank up of the Jaegers by generation.

Spoiler for hypothetical Jaeger genertaional development:

So in other words, Coyote Tango is EVA unit 00 ( The first one and also got thrashed the most ). Eureka Striker is likely the finished product - Combat type ( Aka Unit 02 - Probably will be used to show the new Kaiju's power ) and Gipsy Danger is the prototype - Unit 01
Old 2013-03-31, 03:32   Link #248
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Trading cards to be sold at Wondercon:

Striker Eureka is freaking HAXX
I see, i see Russia, Japan, US, and China... all superpower got their own robot.... But how the heck can we be able to build that thing? A freaking overpowered one in fact. 0_0

Did half of South East Asia migrated to Australia to form Down Under Empire or something like that in the movie?
Old 2013-03-31, 03:36   Link #249
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One wonders if there is only five.

Because if it is they've managed to kill 31 monsters so far. Plus the one in the preview that was likely taken down before they build these things.
Old 2013-03-31, 03:41   Link #250
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

Because if it is they've managed to kill 31 monsters so far. Plus the one in the preview that was likely taken down before they build these things.
According to TV Tropes, there's two more Jaegers: Tacit Ronin and Diablo Intercept.
Old 2013-03-31, 03:53   Link #251
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

Straight from Mr.del Toro himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingsoon.net
Production on Pacific Rim called for the construction of four-story Jaegar sets on gimbals so that, during combat sequences, the actors would actually be shaken. Del Toro says that, while all the actors enjoyed the practical effects, the constant shaking took its toll on everyone but Rinko Kikuchi.

"That's why guys never give birth," he says. "They're crybabies. We'd go extinct as a species. They'd be like, 'F- that!'"

The final film has nine different Jaegars and 12 different Kaijus, although far more made it to various stages of design.

"We designed a lot and, every week, we would do an American Idol," Del Toro continues. "...Those that survived were refined further."

link
So, it's highly possible that most of those 31 Kaijus in the kill-count will appear off-screen. Also, nine Jaegers, which means four more will appear, maybe in some minor capacity. We'll see.
Old 2013-03-31, 06:05   Link #252
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
JAPAN !!!
Why are you underachieved?
Quote:
All they could afford or "defensive" weapons only under Article 9 of their Consitution?

Or the producers thought it would be funny to have Japan, the country that has the monsters attacking as a theme since the 1950s, as the weak one.

caused by budget restrains obviously since this is japan we're talking about, there are other problems other than the Pacific Kaijuus japan is facing such as tokusatsu terrorist organizations, space aliens, demons, ancient gods, tsunderes, etc. one of them is the Godzilla & they're saving money to build a new MechaGodzilla or a MOGUERA unit

others go to other private organizations such as Special Science Investigation Team, various Super Sentai teams, Gutsy Geod Guard, NERV, etc. but thats just according me
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 07:19   Link #253
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

I doubt that. Coyote Tango probably just a first generation Jaeger. Since Jaegers are such insane investments, and it was such a new field when they started, whoever made the first Jaeger was probably gonna get left with something weak by later generation standards.
Old 2013-03-31, 07:27   Link #254
Seitsuki
Onee!

'We're being invaded by huge alien monsters! What do we do??'

America: Nukes!
Russia: Zerg!
Japan: Giant robot!

Yeah, you can pretty much imagine the initial reaction.
Old 2013-03-31, 07:43   Link #255
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
'We're being invaded by huge alien monsters! What do we do??'

America: Nukes!
Russia: Zerg!
Japan: Giant robot!

Yeah, you can pretty much imagine the initial reaction.
You mean zerg RUSH right? Cause I think reacting with actual Zerg would be South Korea's response.
Old 2013-03-31, 11:08   Link #256
Child_of_Sierra

@Roger Rambo:
I like your theory about having multiple generations of Jaeger design.

However, the cynic in me assumes that countries owning Jaegers only work together in the battlefield. They may not share their R and D with each other so it is possible to have Eureka in the same generation as Coyote Tango.

One simply had a better design in fighting kaiju so it proved more effective. That or it had the luck of pairing with relatively easy to kill Kaiju, I doubt all Kaiju have the same stats anyways.
Old 2013-03-31, 11:47   Link #257
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, I do recall reading that Gipsy Danger was supposed to be an "old" Jaeger, so it is not improbable that not all of its previous interceptions were successful, having been completed by either joint air forces (the first kaiju to appear on Earth were probably killed by volleys of Tomahawks, JDAMs, MOABs and/or MOPs, until the fielding of the Jaeger) instead. It's probably not THAT efficient in long- or short-range engagements either and was probably used to stall the adversary long enough for either artillery/air squadrons/other Jaegers to double-tag it. One more possibility to throw in is that GD was more used as a technology testbed for future Jaeger instead of a real frontline unit.

Also, there's the fact that, reportedly, Jaegers could only be piloted by TWO pilots who boast excellent chemistry/synchronicity (husband and wife, twins/siblings, etc). So if the first pilots of the Gipsy Danger weren't really in tune with each other, the mismatch could've severely impacted the way GD was used in its first battles, and by consequence, its combat record. To make matters even more complicated, premilinary movie summaries indicate
Spoiler:
If Striker Eureka and Crimson Typhoon, on top of benefiting from more sophisticated technology, are manned by "perfect" teams, this could explain their higher kill count.

As for the newer units, well, Striker Eureka boasts BOTH long- (chest missiles or should I say, "breast missiles"? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*shameless anime reference*) and short-range (forearm-mounted blades) weaponry, so its firepower is probably loads greater than that of the old guard. It's also supposed to be the fastest one ever built, so it could, in turn, very well have greater survivability and better aptitude for first-strike kills.

Additionally, Coyote Tango and Cherno Alpha seem like long-range/standoff Jaegers to me, whereas Striker Eureka and Crimson Typhon have an "up close and personal" feel...so, the former two are probably tasked with slowing down incoming kaiju with sustained fire/strikes, while the latter two are tasked with delivering the coup de grāce with close-combat weaponry (spinning claw, arm blades).
Old 2013-04-01, 23:27   Link #258
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Also, there's the fact that, reportedly, Jaegers could only be piloted by TWO pilots who boast excellent chemistry/synchronicity (husband and wife, twins/siblings, etc).
Lol, did they hire the writers of Gigantic Formula or something? I mean, each country building their own mech is one thing, but combined with the above I find it hard to swallow it's all just coincidence, especially when pilots backstories seems to be a big deal in the movie.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 00:03   Link #259
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wasn't one of the mechs a single pilot and the Chinese mech is three people?
Old 2013-04-02, 01:12   Link #260
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Lol, did they hire the writers of Gigantic Formula or something? I mean, each country building their own mech is one thing, but combined with the above I find it hard to swallow it's all just coincidence, especially when pilots backstories seems to be a big deal in the movie.
Didn't Guillermo Del Toro say he's paying homage to all those old super robot shows?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster