AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-03-09, 00:15   Link #1261
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

But, I see a lot of MS get struck in the torso, hell a GM took a blast by a raketen bazooka, at point blank range in 0083, no nuclear explosion.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 00:34   Link #1262
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
But, I see a lot of MS get struck in the torso, hell a GM took a blast by a raketen bazooka, at point blank range in 0083, no nuclear explosion.
Here. The question's been brought up here before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Contrary to popular belief, nuclear reactors will not explode in nuclear reactions. Fission reactions will generally fizzle out if the precise environmental conditions aren't maintained, and fusion ones are even more dependent on proper conditions to operate. At best, one would see a steam explosion or something equivalent.

For the UC shows, mobile suit powerplants operate on fusion principles initiated/aided by Minovsky particles. This process is totally different from fusion as we know it, and such an engine apparently has the potential to cause huge (nuclear or not) explosions when it is penetrated by beam weapons. This can be seen in the very first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam where Amuro destroys his first Zaku II and a huge explosion ensues, penetrating the floor of the colony they were in. He then tries to make sure that he avoids the engine later in that episode.

The massive engine explosion is something that's brought up largely by plot and ignored otherwise. There really isn't all that much to read into. As far as the shows have demonstrated, reactors will not shut off automatically; instead, the failure tends to be on the catastrophic side.

I can't recall any such safety mechanisms being brought up in the UC shows. As far as Minovsky reactors being different, they would be different because they bear little to no relationship to fusion reactions as we know them, not because of what their raw materials are (in this case, helium-3 which would be used in normal fusion as well).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
I will guess that if a beam hits the reactor, but doesn't hit one of the magnets that create the containment field, it will enter the reaction chamber, and the extra pressure and energy from the beam will push the fusion reaction to a higher level, and release more energy than the reactor can contain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
As a noble gas, helium doesn't combust at all, so it can't be the reason for engines to explode violently.

For fusion reactors, power is produced at a steady rate, and any damage to the equipment can only decrease this rate, not increase it. Fission reactors can go critical, and end up building energy much faster than under controlled circumstances, but this takes a fair amount of time to do, and they're still not that likely to go up in massive explosions. Realistically, the most likely kind of explosion associated with nuclear reactors would be a steam explosion, but that's not going to be all that powerful, and it certainly wouldn't be of any use in military demolition.
Old 2010-03-09, 00:44   Link #1263
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So I guess the attention to nuclear reactors going off is just plot relevant, whenever it happens?
Old 2010-03-09, 01:33   Link #1264
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
So I guess the attention to nuclear reactors going off is just plot relevant, whenever it happens?
As far as the ReZEL is concerned, Marida is trying to snipe the cockpit like what she did with the JeGans. But due to various factor such as gravity pull, air current and distractions, she missed that said ReZEL at the cockpit and triggered the nuclear explosion.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 06:20   Link #1265
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
No, the reactor doesn't occupy the whole torso. So just because someone damage the torso doesn't mean they hit the reactor. Most of the time they hit the cockpit and the MS just falls to the ground without any explosions whatsoever.
Old 2010-03-09, 16:48   Link #1266
Wenender

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
thank you very much wenender, are there more of her like that in that scale?
Of course. Look here, most of trading figures are made in that scale. HLJ have two nice figure of her on sale right now. Here and here.
Wenender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 17:38   Link #1267
X207
Gamyūsa

im surprised she didnt do what kira does to opposing MS, destroy all but the cockpit of the rezehel would've been sufficient. the pilot will survive to die the next time they meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenender View Post
Of course. Look here, most of trading figures are made in that scale. HLJ have two nice figure of her on sale right now. Here and here.
thanks weneder, im surprised to see there are that many figures of her o.o. too bad there arent pics of her holding a pistol ie when she meets athrun or the best was when meer opens the door and she sees the 2 of them together lol.

Last edited by X207; 2010-03-09 at 17:55.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 19:10   Link #1268
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
im surprised she didnt do what kira does to opposing MS, destroy all but the cockpit of the rezehel would've been sufficient. the pilot will survive to die the next time they meet.
.....Here's some food for thought. If someone is coming at you with a Machete or even shooting at you. Would you have time to snipe at the non-vital points, or just say "Screw it, it's either me or him."
Old 2010-03-09, 19:51   Link #1269
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenender View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
.....Here's some food for thought. If someone is coming at you with a Machete or even shooting at you. Would you have time to snipe at the non-vital points, or just say "Screw it, it's either me or him."
probably not unless you're a show stealing genius coordinator. i find it a bit bizare simply because she had sufficient time to position the funnels around the chest when they were close enough to non vital areas. its a show where war kills many people. the scene didnt bother me at all its just an after thought i had given the funnel positions.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 19:59   Link #1270
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
i find it a bit bizare simply because she had sufficient time to position the funnels around the chest when they were close enough to non vital areas. its a show where war kills many people. the scene didnt bother me at all its just an after thought i had given the funnel positions.
The wind was blowing, the gravity pulling and you have various other people taking pot shots at you. It's hard enough to concerntrate enough for a fatal shot, let alone a non-fatal one.
Old 2010-03-09, 21:15   Link #1271
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

Newtypes are not perfect, let alone cyber-newtypes.
but it was a mind thing where Marida was dodging and whatnot and it is obvious by the look of her face that Marida did not want the explosion to happen.
Kirbyeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:03   Link #1272
X_Danny_X

so when is the next gundam series coming or is this the last one?
Old 2010-03-09, 22:10   Link #1273
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
What, the OVA isn't good enough for you? It IS the next Gundam series, barring the SD Gundam show airing shortly.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 17:47   Link #1274
Zantetsuken

So... The next Unicorn comes out in the Fall right? !@#$%^
Old 2010-03-13, 10:12   Link #1275
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
So... The next Unicorn comes out in the Fall right?
Yep. That's what has been officially said.
Old 2010-03-16, 20:43   Link #1276
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
Any design reference between full armored 7th Gundam and Duel Assault Shroud?
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 01:06   Link #1277
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

curious question: whatever happen to the bone loss from living in outter space, I mean people live in space for long and came to earth with no problems. Whats with that? I think turn A only briefly touch on this subject...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 21:23   Link #1278
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I know Gundam 00 season 1 is out on DVD in the US, but what about the second season? Is that out in the US yet?
Old 2010-03-31, 07:11   Link #1279
Hellbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
curious question: whatever happen to the bone loss from living in outter space, I mean people live in space for long and came to earth with no problems. Whats with that? I think turn A only briefly touch on this subject...
Most people in space live in the colonies which are made to spin to simulate earth gravity. As for Moon colonies, in UC they have artificial gravity on their ships, so that would explain away the Moon's micro-gravity. Other AUs don't really delve into these technical issues so much, so I've got nothing there.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 10:48   Link #1280
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
I know Gundam 00 season 1 is out on DVD in the US, but what about the second season? Is that out in the US yet?
A simple search on Amazon.com (duh) would have told you that part 1 of season 2 comes out on April 6th.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote