AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-11-13, 02:21   Link #41
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

What I thought were letdowns/pseudo-letdowns were:

Dead or Alive Ultimate 1 & 2. They were decent fighting games, but I just like the system and commands for Soul Caliber better.

Robotech: Battlecry. While it was amusing for a while, the game is actually really hard to beat on some levels unless you use cheats because your weapons take too long to refresh. That got irritating. Not to mention the space battles were kinda boring. I liked the freedom of movement and transforming your veritech into the three different modes (each with their own advatages/disadvantages), but not much else.

Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf. I beat it, but after you beat it, there's nothing to do. I don't think it has enough replay value to be worth the price of buying it. Rental ONLY. You can beat it in a day or two anyway.

Enter the Matrix. It was a fun game if you put on cheats and went through an entire level using Focus, but otherwise its a so-so third-person shooter. The highway level for the path of Ghost was fun, though. I shot every car I saw. ^_^ Not to mention it was damn annoying cause I got stuck at a part when there's a window you're supposed to jump out of, but you freaking can't. That's what made me stop playing....grrrrrrr.

KOTOR II, I guess. Actually I really liked the game, but getting your characters dark side AND jedi is next to impossible, dammit. I know you're supposed to be able to do it, but I've played it like 100 times and I can't even get HK-47's full story arc to complete. I've done all events and all conversation choices in every conceivable manner and order, but some things just won't happen the way I want them too. I really like the new menu, ridiculous amount of items, and new Force powers (the clothes especially have a more Star Wars-y feel to them, especially the Jedi and Jedi-esque robes). I liked the new characters but not the story line. There was NO interaction with the main characters from KOTOR, and there were HUGE gaps in the story's timeskip. Most events between KOTOR I and II went more-or-less completely unexplained.

However, on the same note, there's a KOTOR III coming out soon (unannounced, no hype at all) so my hopes are up once again for the KOTOR series. I can't wait to see what they've improved and changed, and I really want Revan to reappear in the storyline, as well as the Jedi Exile. (I want them to meet at some point)
Old 2007-11-13, 02:42   Link #42
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I'd like to say the FFX-2 was disappointing, but I never really expected it to be good in the first place. I consider FFX to be the second best Final Fantasy game (next to FF6). FFX-2 took everything great about FFX including its awesome ending and sent it burning to the ground. Hurray for destroying a great game.
Halo 3 is the biggest piece of crap compared to Halo 2. The multiplayer maps and the new game types are the worst insult to online FPS's everywhere.
Gears of War. VERY good game, but no where near as good as people made me believe it was.
Guitar Hero III. Really liked it but its track list pales in comparison to GHII. Also the HO/PO system is far to easy in this game. Good for me because I'm above average at best, but this sucks for the best GH players.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 02:48   Link #43
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
I'd like to say the FFX-2 was disappointing, but I never really expected it to be good in the first place. I consider FFX to be the second best Final Fantasy game (next to FF6). FFX-2 took everything great about FFX including its awesome ending and sent it burning to the ground. Hurray for destroying a great game.
For me FFX-2 was the pleasant surprise. Everyone made it out to be crap and all of that, but I just had to play it since I on the other hand disliked the ending of FFX. What I got was one of the best FF battle systems(still had it flaws since the super dress sphere's where pointless and no summons) I could get at that time and ending that satisfied me. It's true that everything else sucked, but if you are expecting a total package of sucking. It was nice to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Haha, you must be one very lucky person. I think you are the first I have ever seen say something positive about WoW's customer support.
If you have played other MMO's the customer support of WoW is great. They actually hunt bots. The GM's know the game and use friendly language. Little carebearish, but I can live with that I guess.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 02:48   Link #44
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
What I thought were letdowns/pseudo-letdowns were:

Dead or Alive Ultimate 1 & 2. They were decent fighting games, but I just like the system and commands for Soul Caliber better.
Hmm, agreed here. Honestly, I've never thought the DOA girls had much character. Go go Soul Calibur!

I'm quite miffed, too, that of all the fighting games out there, DOA gets accepted into WCG. I'm not saying that the game doesn't need skill--I'm sure any of the good DOA players could whoop my ass 3-0 all perfects, but the game just isn't nearly as refined as other fighters are. Itagaki needs to get off his high horse and make a fighter that focuses on being a fighter... either that, or just make sure the next Ninja Gaiden isn't just Sigma+.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 02:58   Link #45
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
For me FFX-2 was the pleasant surprise. Everyone made it out to be crap and all of that, but I just had to play it since I on the other hand disliked the ending of FFX. What I got was one of the best FF battle systems(still had it flaws since the super dress sphere's where pointless and no summons) I could get at that time and ending that satisfied me. It's true that everything else sucked, but if you are expecting a total package of sucking. It was nice to play.
I can somewhat relate to that. I did enjoy the battle system just like you did and the cutscenes (just like FFX) were beyond spectacular. What I didn't like were the lack of playable characters. If they have to be all female that's fine, but I'd prefer the traditional 7 over 3. Though I suppose this would ruin the point of the dress sphere system if you had 7 different characters to level up. I was really depressed when I finished FFX. I was ecstatic to hear news of the upcoming FFX-2. But when I finished it, I realized that FFX's ending, though depressing, was what made the story stand out in my mind.
Spoiler for :
Old 2007-11-13, 03:04   Link #46
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Oh, that reminds me....

The Ninja Gaiden games for the higher gen systems really sucked quite a bit. The old-school version was WAY better. Genji: Days of the Blade was also bad. There were other terrible ninja-based games out there, but i don't remember them all. I know G4's Xplay covered most of them, so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 2007-11-13, 03:10   Link #47
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Hmmm. How about the last 20 Megaman games? Please bring me back to the days of Nintendo and SNES. I guess I'll also toss in another vote for TP. But only for the bosses. Everything else in that game was solid Zelda goodness.
Old 2007-11-13, 17:35   Link #48
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post

If you have played other MMO's the customer support of WoW is great. They actually hunt bots. The GM's know the game and use friendly language. Little carebearish, but I can live with that I guess.
WoW is the only MMO I've played (besides Hellgate London but I don't really count that) so you may be correct. However I still have heard and experienced nothing but horror stories, especially involving GMs that don't actually know anything about the game. In my experience hunting bots was just about the only thing they did right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity
There was NO interaction with the main characters from KOTOR, and there were HUGE gaps in the story's timeskip. Most events between KOTOR I and II went more-or-less completely unexplained.

However, on the same note, there's a KOTOR III coming out soon (unannounced, no hype at all) so my hopes are up once again for the KOTOR series. I can't wait to see what they've improved and changed, and I really want Revan to reappear in the storyline, as well as the Jedi Exile. (I want them to meet at some point)
I dunno, I kinda liked the fact that you never meet Revan in 2. Seeing a character whose personality, choices, and even appearance were controlled completely by you turned into a static npc with a defined personality etc. kinda ruins it in my opinion.

I would say I agree with you on Enter the Matrix but I never expected it to be good, I automatically assume all movie tie-ins are bad. I am amazed that you actually liked the car shooting segment though, that was torture in its purest form for me.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 19:13   Link #49
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Xenosaga.

I kept hearing such great things about it and so finally bought a copy, only to discover that it was a movie pretending to be a game. -___-

It wasn't even that interesting a movie either. Nothing that I've not already seen before in any number of sci-fi classics out there, starting from Space Odyssey 2001 for example.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 22:23   Link #50
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
KOTOR II, I guess. Actually I really liked the game, but getting your characters dark side AND jedi is next to impossible, dammit. I know you're supposed to be able to do it, but I've played it like 100 times and I can't even get HK-47's full story arc to complete. I've done all events and all conversation choices in every conceivable manner and order, but some things just won't happen the way I want them too. I really like the new menu, ridiculous amount of items, and new Force powers (the clothes especially have a more Star Wars-y feel to them, especially the Jedi and Jedi-esque robes). I liked the new characters but not the story line. There was NO interaction with the main characters from KOTOR, and there were HUGE gaps in the story's timeskip. Most events between KOTOR I and II went more-or-less completely unexplained.
I see a lot of people ragging on KOTOR II. Sure, it had it's flaws, including a VERY rushed final act. However, KOTOR II also had some of the best writing in a VG to date from the guy who wrote Planescape Torment. Kreia, alone, was worth the price of admission. To me, it's not as much a disappointment as it is a victim of rushed production schedules. That is to say, the core game and writing are every bit as good as the original. It's just the polish that was bolloxed.
Old 2007-11-14, 12:43   Link #51
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
I see a lot of people ragging on KOTOR II. Sure, it had it's flaws, including a VERY rushed final act. However, KOTOR II also had some of the best writing in a VG to date from the guy who wrote Planescape Torment. Kreia, alone, was worth the price of admission. To me, it's not as much a disappointment as it is a victim of rushed production schedules. That is to say, the core game and writing are every bit as good as the original. It's just the polish that was bolloxed.
Well...I liked the game...I feel it wasn't as good as it could be. So, it was rushed out then was it? Interesting...Probalby why then. I feel they could of made the story line better. Don't get me wrong, the story line was good, the whole, "Well you wern't affected by Revan's influence power thing because you have the same power..." Was good, I just feel they could of taken a better aproch to it..you know?

Hopefully KOTOR 3 will be better ...I need to get a 360 so I can play it when it comes out....
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 18:56   Link #52
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Guitar Hero III. Really liked it but its track list pales in comparison to GHII. Also the HO/PO system is far to easy in this game. Good for me because I'm above average at best, but this sucks for the best GH players.
Actually, I cleared career mode on Expert in GH and GHII, and I think it's great that they fixed up the HO and PO system again. It was non-existence in the first game, a little better in the second but still weird, but now I cannot see how they could improve it again since now it's a little loose. However, even if it is loose, I still cannot beat Raining Blood on Expert.

It's such a shame that the first two games couldn't have had the HO/PO system as good as the third. It's just another case of "better mechanics, inferior song list" in a music game.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 17:09   Link #53
tkdtiger

Star Trek Legacy for the PC (It was a solid game on the 360). It had horrible Keyboard controls. I don't know why, but for some reason it took me forever to realize that I should try and use my PC controller and sure enough most of the control issues I had disappeared. Still though the game also lacked other features that I was looking forward to. So far the Star Trek Armada series and the Starfleet Command series are my favorire (I also liked those old DOS adventure games) Hopefully Star Trek Online will be a great game.

Blitz the League-This game was hard (more like cheap), but I like a good hard game, but I was expecting faster game play and harder hits...This was just a Bad-Hard-Game

Dragob Ball Z-Sagas. It was too short and not enough content, but it was still better than anything related to the non-canon material of Dragon Ball GT

Justice League-This was a fun game, but could have used more content. Of course they were being careful since they weren't actually sure how well this game would do, but being too careful hurts this game. But still I hope the make a second : )

Mario Party...I think it's 10...My sister loves it...I cordially dislike it...mainly it's a bit too kiddy for me...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 17:45   Link #54
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Final Fantasy in general. Pretty much just a mediocre RPG with a Large Budget. I rather stick to stuff like Balder's Gate, Shin Megami, and others(Normally Atlus, Bioware, Tri-Ace, etc) which don't need pretty graphics and a massive budget to be good.

Counter Strike. In general this has probably been my worst experience with online gaming. The user base, set up, etc. I just disliked it.

Metal Gear Solid. Never understood why people like this. I tried 2 and 3. Just so many goddam cutscenes. And the gameplay just felt dull.

And on Kotor 2. I think people really need to give Obsiden more credit there. That was done in under 12months. LucasArt's signed a deal for 15month development time except they undercut it by 20% hence the 12months. And funny enough...Kotor 2 came out and still was a heck of alot better then a large amount of RPGs and games. If you really want a taste of good writing from them. NWN MOTB. Alot are saying it has the best writing since Planescape...and Planescape has the best ^_^
Old 2007-11-28, 21:23   Link #55
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
I wasn't ragging on it that much, as i said, I really liked it, but it was rushed and a lot of storyline elements were just left hanging. That really bugged me. I was impressed by the amount of control you had over your NPC allies' actions during combat, though. In KOTOR I they would use Force powers without your telling them too, and in tough battles when I wanted to conserve energy, it was annoying. KOTOR II did have good refinement in the combat system, but the game sometimes got buggy. Lightsaber customization, items, character development/customization were just as good as the original or better, if you bothered to go through the hours of conversation choices. I did like how what you said and did (e.g. dark side/light side choices) actually had an impact on your relationships with other characters.

I didn't mean to sound so critical, but I felt the game did have some major issues that I hope are addressed in KOTOR III. Which I cant wait for, I might mention!
Old 2007-11-28, 21:34   Link #56
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
Metal Gear Solid. Never understood why people like this. I tried 2 and 3. Just so many goddam cutscenes. And the gameplay just felt dull.
Have to disagree with one, Metal Gear Solid one was the biggest "outta nowhere" surprise in gaming history, imo the best stealth game of its time. 2 was a disappointment since Raiden is pretty much a douchebag. 3 i have to say was pretty good, aside from the excessive amount of CS, the gameplay was the pretty realistic.

I think the reason y everyone bash on FFX-2 is not due solely on its mediocre gameplay (its not amazing, but it wasnt horrible), i think its mostly because noone wanna admit they enjoyed playing a rpg dress-up game, its a guilty-pleasure really
Old 2007-11-28, 21:46   Link #57
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post

Counter Strike. In general this has probably been my worst experience with online gaming. The user base, set up, etc. I just disliked it.
AAAAHHHHHHHH!! Blasphemy!!! how can u say that about the ultimate online shooter??!! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOooooooooooo, it burns my eyes to read such slander!!

sry about that lost myself there for a moment, that could be down to the fact that I haven't played CSS in awhile as my computer has decided to stop playing it

me thinks its time for a upgrade!
Old 2007-11-28, 21:54   Link #58
jedinat

Quote:
I wasn't ragging on it that much, as i said, I really liked it, but it was rushed and a lot of storyline elements were just left hanging. That really bugged me. I was impressed by the amount of control you had over your NPC allies' actions during combat, though. In KOTOR I they would use Force powers without your telling them too, and in tough battles when I wanted to conserve energy, it was annoying. KOTOR II did have good refinement in the combat system, but the game sometimes got buggy. Lightsaber customization, items, character development/customization were just as good as the original or better, if you bothered to go through the hours of conversation choices. I did like how what you said and did (e.g. dark side/light side choices) actually had an impact on your relationships with other characters.

I didn't mean to sound so critical, but I felt the game did have some major issues that I hope are addressed in KOTOR III. Which I cant wait for, I might mention!
You might find this interesting: KOTOR II Restoration Project ...if you don't already know about it.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 21:59   Link #59
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
I think the reason y everyone bash on FFX-2 is not due solely on its mediocre gameplay (its not amazing, but it wasnt horrible), i think its mostly because noone wanna admit they enjoyed playing a rpg dress-up game, its a guilty-pleasure really
I didn't see it as a dress-up game, I just saw it as a bad sequel. This is the only rpg I have ever permanently quit just due to boredom. I got through all of chapters 1-4 never needing to do anything but use normal attacks (Yes I'm aware the bonus dungeon would have been much harder but I'm much more concerned with the main game, not extra content. Not to mention I'd have had to continue fighting the boredom just to reach it). I hated the way you could fail to get 100% completion just by talking to people out of order or not pressing a button at a certain time. The light-hearted story was a change of pace I guess but because of it I didn't feel like I was doing anything important and there was no sense of urgency or motivation. I also really liked the ending of FFX and wish they'd have just kept that as the end.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:15   Link #60
AnimeFangirl

Actually the bonus dungeon is ridiculously easy too, once you reach level 40 and get the Catnip accessory.