AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-03, 23:39   Link #3181
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Can't really help it I mean Michael Jackson's death is taking all the attention away from them so now they have to go to extra miles for attention .
Yeah, that's why they're doing 4 now, not one.
Old 2009-07-04, 00:30   Link #3182
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Amen. 377a must stay. I wish we had this where I am right now (OK fine, I'm in HK - Wait I think HK does have it... I dunno. Did the British law pass down to HK?
No HK's laws are independent, for a very long time. They have a democracy there, and might have something like 377a in it.

I don't understand why people are comparing Homosexuality and insect and pedophilia. They're different. It's a matter of consent. Not a matter of which is deviantial and such.

In all situations, the important thing is consent. Normal sex without consent is a crime, but normal sex with consent is not. Yet alternate sex with or without is always a crime in some places.

I'm sure some people may feel some how threatened with the decriminaliztion of homosexuality and perhaps other things the thing is, making it a crime doesn't stop it from happening, it might discourage it, it might alter its occurances, but it doesn't get rid of the original desire and source. Some people are gay, putting them in jails aren't going to not make them gay or stop them from having their natural instinct to have sex.

Trudeau said it the best; the state has no place in the bedrooms of Canadians the people.

So long its consentual, it's not rape, and therefore not a crime.

Pedophillia definitely causes problems with the issue of consent; but that's a whole different battle unto itself.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-07-04, 01:08   Link #3183
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
No HK's laws are independent, for a very long time. They have a democracy there, and might have something like 377a in it.

I don't understand why people are comparing Homosexuality and insect and pedophilia. They're different. It's a matter of consent. Not a matter of which is deviantial and such.

In all situations, the important thing is consent. Normal sex without consent is a crime, but normal sex with consent is not. Yet alternate sex with or without is always a crime in some places.

I'm sure some people may feel some how threatened with the decriminaliztion of homosexuality and perhaps other things the thing is, making it a crime doesn't stop it from happening, it might discourage it, it might alter its occurances, but it doesn't get rid of the original desire and source. Some people are gay, putting them in jails aren't going to not make them gay or stop them from having their natural instinct to have sex.

Trudeau said it the best; the state has no place in the bedrooms of Canadians the people.

So long its consentual, it's not rape, and therefore not a crime.

Pedophillia definitely causes problems with the issue of consent; but that's a whole different battle unto itself.
I kinda agree with most of 377a, all that I ask for is that it be limited to public places. I don't want to care about what you do at home. And that's it's only shortcoming. Please, no gaysex on public places!
Old 2009-07-04, 01:38   Link #3184
james0246

Quote:
I kinda agree with most of 377a, all that I ask for is that it be limited to public places. I don't want to care about what you do at home. And that's it's only shortcoming. Please, no gaysex on public places!
So, is straight sex in public places okay?

btw, where do you live that you encounter so much gay sex (or sex in general) in public places...?
Old 2009-07-04, 02:07   Link #3185
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
So, is straight sex in public places okay?

btw, where do you live that you encounter so much gay sex (or sex in general) in public places...?
No, not that either. PLEASE. Sex should be kept out of the public eye. In Singapore, that's covered under the Public Nuisance Act, I believe.
And, I live... around Repulse Bay. On Repulse Bay itself, it's very clean and I should say, swank. Well, I don't own the home, it's my um... girlfriend's family property. Somewhere here, Stanely Ho owns two houses.

But Middle Bay Beach (中灣泳灘) is another story - it's a gay beach, and gays having anal is a common sight. And it's like 10-15 min away (walking) from Repulse!!!
Old 2009-07-04, 02:59   Link #3186
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
For lack of a better source:
"The rationale behind this law (Section 377A of the Penal Code) was originally based on English criminal law, which sought to prohibit sodomy. It was incorporated by the British colonial administration in the late 1850s, in particular by Lord Thomas Macaulay, who drafted the Indian Penal Code to replace Hindu criminal law which held sway over most of India at the time. Under Hindu law, consensual intercourse between members of the same sex was never an offence. In Macaulay's draft however, Section 377 criminalised 'carnal intercourse against the order of nature' which became punishable by harsh penalties.

"Section 377 became effective as part of the new British-imposed Indian Penal Code from Jan 1, 1862, and was adopted by the colonial masters, also as Section 377 into the Straits Settlements Penal Code in 1871. The cloned and transplanted law came into operation in the Straits Settlements of Singapore, Penang and Malacca on September 16, 1872.

"Similarly worded legislation was also introduced by the British into their other Asian colonies such as Hong Kong (repealed in 1991), Malaya (now Malaysia) and Burma in the late 19th century."

- Wikipedia

Quote:
I don't understand why people are comparing Homosexuality and incest and pedophilia. They're different. It's a matter of consent. Not a matter of which is deviantial and such.
Because the supporters of such laws frequently invoke the slippery-slope argument to push their case. They believe that if they don't draw the line at forbidding homosexual sex, very soon, "militant liberals" would also want to decriminalise incest and paedophilia.

Basically, they are usually conservative people — frequently religiously inspired — who refuse to evaluate each type of behaviour in its own context. They see evil everywhere around them, without stopping to think what makes something "evil" in the first place.
Old 2009-07-04, 05:28   Link #3187
Zippicus

IMO a persons sexuality should be a "behind closed doors" affair. Who you're attracted to isn't something you can control so any kind of government intervention is unwelcome. That being said I have no problem with pedophiles being subjected to the worst forms of punishment available. As long as any relationship is consensual between adults I don't really see the problem.
Old 2009-07-04, 06:52   Link #3188
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
IMO a persons sexuality should be a "behind closed doors" affair. Who you're attracted to isn't something you can control so any kind of government intervention is unwelcome. That being said I have no problem with pedophiles being subjected to the worst forms of punishment available. As long as any relationship is consensual between adults I don't really see the problem.
And it better be behind closed doors, literally. I don't know how many times I've seen gays make out in Repulse Bay, before they were all told to go away to Middle Bay. It's disgusting, especially when Repulse Bay is meant to be a place for families.
Old 2009-07-04, 07:11   Link #3189
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
HK has section 118F "Homosexual buggery committed otherwise than in private", section 118J "Gross indecency by man with man otherwise than in private" which criminalizes gaysex in public and section 148 "Indecency in public" of Chapter 200 Crimes Ordinance for general indecency.
Old 2009-07-04, 07:18   Link #3190
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
HK has section 118F "Homosexual buggery committed otherwise than in private", section 118J "Gross indecency by man with man otherwise than in private" which criminalizes gaysex in public and section 148 "Indecency in public" of Chapter 200 Crimes Ordinance for general indecency.
That means the police aren't doing checks. Oh well. I mean, freedom is important, isn't it? I'll let them be, as long they're on Middle Bay. But not Repulse Bay.
Old 2009-07-04, 07:58   Link #3191
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Amen. 377a must stay. I wish we had this where I am right now (OK fine, I'm in HK - Wait I think HK does have it... I dunno. Did the British law pass down to HK?
Are you...serious? Or am I misreading you here?
Old 2009-07-04, 08:18   Link #3192
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Are you...serious? Or am I misreading you here?
You didn't. For good measure, Shima's also one of the pro-lifers on the Abortion thread. So yeah, you can pretty much guess his alignment.

I'd argue with him about this, but eh, he hasn't actually started anything yet....so I can't be bothered either.
Old 2009-07-04, 08:30   Link #3193
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
You didn't. For good measure, Shima's also one of the pro-lifers on the Abortion thread. So yeah, you can pretty much guess his alignment.

I'd argue with him about this, but eh, he hasn't actually started anything yet....so I can't be bothered either.
Yeah. You can guess. A member of the United Methodist Church. And we don't support violence. So, on to something else. (and I thought Ascaloth was a Singaporean??)

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8132548.stm

Japan rethinks silent hybrid cars

Japan is considering the introduction of noise-making devices for near-silent hybrid cars following safety fears from vision-impaired pedestrians.
"Vision-impaired people feel that hybrid vehicles are dangerous", a transport ministry official told AFP.

The top-selling hybrid vehicles run almost without any sound when they change from fuel to battery mode.
The ministry of transport has brought together a panel that will draw up a report by the end of the year.

The panel is considering forcing manufacturers of hybrid cars to introduce a sound-making function that alerts passersby to the presence of a vehicle.
"Blind people depend on sounds when they walk, but there are no engine sounds from hybrid vehicles when running at low speed," the transport ministry official said.

The world's most popular hybrid, the Prius, was launched by Toyota in 1997.
Paul Nolasco, a spokesman for Toyota Motor in Tokyo, told the BBC it had no immediate plans to add noise-making devices to the hybrid vehicles.
"But if it becomes a social concern, it is something we will have to address", Mr Nolasco added.
Old 2009-07-04, 09:35   Link #3194
Ascaloth

Quote:
Yeah. You can guess. A member of the United Methodist Church. And we don't support violence. So, on to something else. (and I thought Ascaloth was a Singaporean??)
I am. Is there something in my profile which made you think otherwise? And what does violence have to do with anything?

(And United Methodist Church. I swear I've seen that in the news recently....)
Old 2009-07-04, 09:40   Link #3195
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
I am. Is there something in my profile which made you think otherwise?

(And United Methodist Church. I swear I've seen that in the news recently....)
Nothing. Just knew that Singapore had a big debate on 377a a few years ago. And again, after the AWARE(?) case. If you want, PM me on your views.

But for now,

Quote:
Second generation A (H1N1) in Malaysia

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia recorded its highest number of local transmissions for the Influenza A (H1N1) virus with 11 new cases, including its first “second generation local case”.

As at Saturday, 35 new cases have been reported, 24 of which were imported, bringing the total number in the country to 326.

The “second generation case” is a child of the 242nd case, a patient who caught the virus locally from an imported case.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Ismail Merican said five of the 11 locally transmitted cases were participants of the Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical Conference held in Penang from June 27 to 30, raising the number of people infected at the event to 12.

The other local cases were two 19-year-old students who had contact with the 143rd case, a two-year-old toddler of the 154th case, a 15-year-old SM Tsun Jin student and the 37-year-old driver of the 183rd case, he said.

“The new cases involve 28 Malaysians and three Indonesians, three Australians and one Singaporean.

“As for the imported cases, these were 12 people travelling here from Jakarta, five from Bangkok, three from Melbourne, two from Singapore and one each from Manila and London,” he said in a press statement here on Saturday.

Dr Ismail said 237 of the 326 cases had so far recovered and been discharged from hospitals.

He said the number of people currently undergoing quarantine for coming in contact with confirmed patients was 1,016.

Two schools, which had been ordered closed last week, had also reopened Saturday, added Dr Ismail.
Oh noes... ANOTHER mutation!!?

Last edited by ZephyrLeanne; 2009-07-04 at 10:23.
Old 2009-07-04, 10:09   Link #3196
Ascaloth

Quote:
Nothing. Just know that Singapore had a big debate on 377a a few years ago. And again, after the AWARE(?) case. If you want, PM me on your views.
You're confusing me. Are you telling me about those incidences, or are you saying you believed I was a Singaporean because I mentioned those incidences?

And sorry, but I don't feel like sharing my views with you; to put it politically incorrectly, I can logically pick apart your points to death and it still won't change the perspective of your kind, so I really can't be arsed.
Old 2009-07-04, 10:13   Link #3197
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
You're confusing me. Are you telling me about those incidences, or are you saying you believed I was a Singaporean because I mentioned those incidences?

And sorry, but I don't feel like sharing my views with you; to put it politically incorrectly, I can logically pick apart your points to death and it still won't change the perspective of your kind, so I really can't be arsed.
Um, no. Never mind... I just twisted myself.
Damn, my grammar is screwy. I meant "Just knew", not "Just know". Silly me

Last edited by ZephyrLeanne; 2009-07-04 at 10:23.
Old 2009-07-04, 10:34   Link #3198
Saleh
Inactive

Man's body found near shot girl

Spoiler for Story:

Looks like a self defence case, for now (if the dead man is really linked to her). No Updates.

China babies 'sold for adoption'

Spoiler for Story:

Australian Navy Sex Contest?

Spoiler for Story:

Last edited by Saleh; 2009-07-04 at 22:04.
Old 2009-07-04, 23:14   Link #3199
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
And it better be behind closed doors, literally. I don't know how many times I've seen gays make out in Repulse Bay, before they were all told to go away to Middle Bay. It's disgusting, especially when Repulse Bay is meant to be a place for families.
With a name like Repulse Bay...

You said that you've seen gays performing public anal intercourse, and then you say that making out has to occur behind closed doors. Which is it, or are the two of those the same to you? I hope you also get your underwear knotted when you see heterosexual couples making out in public, otherwise you're guilty of holding a double standard.
Old 2009-07-04, 23:20   Link #3200
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Actaully, Repulse Bay is either named after the HMS Repulse, or for the fact that pirates were repulsed from the bay. Its Chinese name simply means Shallow Bay (Qian Shui Wan).

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international