AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-19, 21:57   Link #21
wao
OK.

That's pretty interesting. Western animation uses prescoring/prerecording but there've been few cases of it happening in Japanese animation, I think. Was it Akira or something, there was one famous example which I've forgotten.

Well I do like the character designs, but the trailer also showed jerky animation - I guess it's a case where the designs are so detailed that it becomes too difficult to move (especially with the shitty Korean in-betweeners that Gonzo outsources its animation to!)

Thanks for the summary anyway. It sounds like it has potential.
Old 2006-09-30, 11:28   Link #22
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
which means unaired episodes are automatic, so it's going to be a long run.
Could you elaborate on what that means?

I feel sorry about the reports of spotty animation, but, oh well. I did finish watching Speed Grapher (and even enjoyed it). Let's see how it goes.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 11:51   Link #23
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Animation looks kinda weird in my own opinion but I like mystery style animes so Ill give it a try for a while.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 12:21   Link #24
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Could you elaborate on what that means?

I feel sorry about the reports of spotty animation, but, oh well. I did finish watching Speed Grapher (and even enjoyed it). Let's see how it goes.
Ah, let me clarify my statement.

TV Asahi has an internal policy stating that late night anime running for 2 cours (seasons) is subject to a broadcasting cap of 24 episodes. This policy does not apply to the station's network affiliates.

That is why the episode count for all recent TV Asahi late night anime that spans two seasons has a maximum of 24 episodes and not 26, for example:
Solty Rey
Speed Grapher
Gankutsuou
Tenjou Tenge

The problem arises when the production count exceeds 24 episodes, where unaired stories come into play.

IGPX had a total run of 26 episodes, but the station only aired the first 24.

Garasu no Kantai has 26 episodes as well (including 2 flashbacks), but they aired only 23, and were not able to show the final episode.

However, this becomes a moot point in the case of RED GARDEN, as it is slated for 24 episodes from the beginning. By the way, as of today, they have already recorded up to episode 13, which is unthinkable if it were not done by prescoring. Evidence that a good storyboard and script alone is sufficient to do a good acting job, but won't necessarily make up for a good anime.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 12:30   Link #25
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Thanks for the explanation. That was very useful to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Garasu no Kantai has 26 episodes as well (including 2 flashbacks), but they aired only 23, and were not able to show the final episode.
And that's what I'd call a broadcasting equivalent of a slap in the face. Wow, Glass Fleet really got no respect whatsoever. Poor GONZO... To skip a filler that would later be sold as an OVA is one thing, but to skip the final episode? A testament of worthlessness, I guess. 8)
Old 2006-09-30, 17:26   Link #26
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Heard rumors floating around about it i like the idea behind it. Unfortunetly Gonzo got a hold of it and i have been so disappointed with them as of late. I hope they dont ruin it
Old 2006-10-02, 01:28   Link #27
gianna
gigi

So that's what happened with Glass Fleet What a shame

Same thoughts and concerns as some others - I like the character designs too and it does seem interesting but Gonzo... lol Well it will be airing shortly so I'll see then

Thanks for that information eggplant
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 20:04   Link #28
maneski

i think this is the remake of the horror movie Supiria that they have mentioned before
maneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 01:03   Link #29
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
I doubt it will become the sleeper title of Fall, but it will certanly be a nice change of pace for people who will become tired from the hordes of bishoujo anime.
The people still watching the hordes of bishoujo are the ones who will never get tired of it.
Old 2006-10-03, 02:46   Link #30
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Usually Gonzo series give me creeps because if they are very good animators, Gonzo staff can not write a story... except on Gankutsuou Basilisk and Last Exile. But this one looks pretty original for a Gonzo production. And most of the main staff worked on Rozen Maiden-Gankutsuou-Simoun so... I will watch at least 6 eps of it.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 14:22   Link #31
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
i turned on wikipedia, saw Miyuki Sawashiro and Ryoko Shintani's names, and I guess there's no way in hell I wouldn't be watching this now
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 01:19   Link #32
chrno_the_sinner

Watched the raw. It seemed interesting enough. I guess noses aren't a reason to not watch an anime. I'll probably be following this one.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 02:29   Link #33
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Twice as ambitious as anything yet except Death Note. Actual emotion. A complex story and strong characters. Some things that required effort to accept, like the noses. Lots of esthetic imagination. Detailed animation. Maybe even a bit too realistic. I'm not a big fan of realistic animation. Live actors do that better. But the most interesting show of the season yet, for me.

We'll see how the plot goes. I didn't like every aspect of it. But the director of Rozen Maiden and writers from Gankutsuou, ARIA/Simoun, and Rozen Maiden. Besides the second writer, Okada Mari, one other slight connection with Simoun: Fukuen Misato (Liz) is going to voice one of the two new sibyllas in the game.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 06:57   Link #34
Katapan
俺様祭り

Just saw the RAW of episode 1, and as I expected, it turned out to be quite pleasant.

The OP animation is great - the originality reminds me of Honey & Clover, except it's more colorful. Not a bad song either (as opposed to the ED that I don't like).
Animation seemed quite good to me, it's well detailed and all (and again, the colors are nice, but that's also party thanks to the good RAW quality). Surprisingly the noses don't seem all that weird when the characters are animated, so people turned off by the design may want to check for themselves.

And yet another promising show, what a season this fall is...
Old 2006-10-04, 08:12   Link #35
wao
OK.

Just watched teh first episode. It was better than I expected - the animation was actually better than that of the trailer. And the direction/writing seemed quite good. The first episode kept you hanging but not in a really forced way: you just found things out as the characters did. An interesting premise, but I wonder where it'll go from here. Let's hope it doesn't just stay pretty - which it was by the way, the characters all had distinctive and different styles and the colour scheme was good. I loved the aesthetic of the OP, it was very stylish (I have a weak spot for OPs in that style). The unusual sound of the instrumentation went well with it too (well, I haven't heard that kind of bass or whatever much in songs used for anime.)

And the noses are generally quite OK. So are thel ips. Actually, they're less distracting than the ones in, say, Escaflowne...
Old 2006-10-04, 17:50   Link #36
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The "noses and lips" issue is not a question of style. If you look at XIX centure Japanese prints of foreigners, you'll notices many similarities with this "style". 8)

The one thing that put me off was the "defeat the monster" storyline. I am guessing that since the show uses such an unfamiliar setting and no usual anime archetypes, that they needed some familiar hook to make viewers more comfortable with watching Red Garden. Other than that, I found the episode quite perfectly attuned to my expectations and emotions.

It goes without saying that I will be following it. First of all, it's stunningly beautiful in it's disregard of ideal symmetry that is commonly pervasive of anime. Think of it as the most aesthetically pleasing superflat anime ever. The ultimate Anti-Gloss, despite all of those Parakiss vibes.

Second... well... no seconds yet, we'll see where the tale takes us. 8)
Old 2006-10-04, 18:35   Link #37
DaFool
Resident devil

Yeah, I loved the Parakiss style, the American OEL-like character designs, and superflat yet colorful palette. Animation's OK.

Except for the
Spoiler:

this could be the animated drama that a U.S. animation studio could have done. But no, they opted to keep churning out kids shows or sarcastic sitcoms.

Gonzo from otaku / moe anime to Red Garden. Way to go, Gonzo! Just don't mess it up, better yet, make this another Monster.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 19:01   Link #38
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Actually, this is one of my most anticipated show. I guess I am a sucker for mysterious/unique plot.

Episode 1 basically meets my expectation. The premise seems intriguing enough. I hope it won't turn into a monster-of-a-week show though.

About the pointy noses, I don't think it's too distracting. The artwork is nice, but the animation is a little bit jerky at times. I just hope GONZO can keep up the quality.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 19:28   Link #39
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Did anyone else have a feeling that Rose looks a lot like what Mirai Yashima (from the First Gundam) would have looked, if she were drawn by Nobuteru Yuri?

Oh, and the two detectives made me constantly think about "Law and Order". Old white guy, young black guy... I guess it's a stereotype of its own now. 8)
Old 2006-10-05, 06:22   Link #40
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoReMiFaSo
About the pointy noses, I don't think it's too distracting.
Lol. I guess if one could get use to Gankutsuou, pointy noses here shouldnt be a problem.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural