AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-11, 23:26   Link #1041
FateAnomaly

Luckily for Mina the 3 nobles send 2 idiots and a spy who have no intention of killing Akira.

Though even if that is not the case she is not at risk anyway.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 23:30   Link #1042
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Luckily for Mina the 3 nobles send 2 idiots and a spy who have no intention of killing Akira.
I don't know, Meiren seemed quite willing and able to kill him. It was pure plot hax that saved his ass. She had him drugged and injured before the battle, and then soundly beat him to a pulp without even taking a hit herself during their fight. He just happened to have Main Character Armor, which let him fight at full power despite that.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 23:34   Link #1043
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't know, Meiren seemed quite willing and able to kill him. It was pure plot hax that saved his ass. She had him drugged and injured before the battle, and then soundly beat him to a pulp without even taking a hit herself during their fight. He just happened to have Main Character Armor, which let him fight at full power despite that.
She certainly is able. She had so many opportunity to kill him but didn't do it. (e.g. When she is nursing him, when after he fought the shapeshifter and collapsed and when she threw him and he was just lying there)
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 02:39   Link #1044
aishaelizabeth

Which one do you think is better Vampire Knight or Dance in the Vampire Bund? Because to me they fall in the same catagory. Except I think that Dance is lighter then Knight was. What are your opinions?
aishaelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 02:46   Link #1045
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
She certainly is able. She had so many opportunity to kill him but didn't do it. (e.g. When she is nursing him, when after he fought the shapeshifter and collapsed and when she threw him and he was just lying there)
I think Meiren, while being an assassin sent to kill him, had no intention of doing so for a very long time. I even dare to say she was in love with him or at the very least liked him and wanted to try everything she could to get him to leave Mina's side.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 06:53   Link #1046
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol finally watch the last ep :

Give it 4/10 .
Meiren is Tolemere .
Cliche fight with Akira , the bad guy beat down the good guy but as asual for the last blow the good guy win . 1 hit K.O
So , there are 2 Mina's princess .
Well , well , well ...

Overall , 3/10 .

Sorry but Shaft failed . This manga should have been produced by another good studios .
Shaft version doesn't fit it .
Too fast , too shafted , the story is vague , Meiren .... only good thing = Mina .
A S2 ? hell no . A remake with another studios , yes .

Well , i think that it's better to read the manga isn't it ? I'll start it .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 10:04   Link #1047
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishaelizabeth View Post
Which one do you think is better Vampire Knight or Dance in the Vampire Bund? Because to me they fall in the same catagory. Except I think that Dance is lighter then Knight was. What are your opinions?
I find VB actually emotionally heavier and deeper than VK, but I get why it's possible to see it the other way. The emotions there are stronger, but I thought they were conveyed more strongly here. I loved VK, but felt they hashed up the emotions somehow. Horie Yui didn't reach me so much there, whereas both Yuuki Aoi and Saitou Chiwa did here. The guys were good in both.

That was from a shoujo manga, and this from a shounen/seinen one, which should make that one emotionally more intense, but didn't for me. Contrary to other posters, I think this anime added quality over the manga. I thought VB was a better anime, probably a 9/10 compared to an 8/10 for VK. But I think very few people liked this show as much as I did.

I think I'm a fan of Shinbou and Shaft, but somehow I only end up finishing a few of their shows. Like this one and Bakemonogatari and the ef shows (which weren't totally Shinbou). Zetsubou-sensei, Hidamari Sketch, Natsu no Arashi: I recognize their quality, but don't find them that interesting. And I think those are the shows real Shinbou fans love most.

EDIT: One thing I do agree with tyranuus about (later post) is that this is basically a romance anime. That's part of why I like it. And it's also something that distinguishes it somewhat from the manga, which has more of a balance between the romance and other aspects.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-04-13 at 12:15.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 10:23   Link #1048
Audit01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Akira and Mina are finally re-united. This first season was alright.
From the way this anime ends i doubt that we will see a second season

From the ending Akira and Mina become officially a couple and they take an oath that they will be together until "ashes" set them apart ...
Looks like a complete ending to me

Well i am going to miss the cute little vampire loli

^^------------------------- Macross Frontier !!!! -------------------------^^

Last edited by Audit01; 2010-04-13 at 10:36.
Audit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 11:27   Link #1049
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Was off sick yesterday so sat down and watched this as something to take my mind off in a cram session, I like vampires and werewolves so seemed ideal...was kinda bizarre to watch though, the tone of the show just didn't seem to quite know where it wanted to be. I think it's definately the most bizarre romance-orientated series I've watched in that regards (because lets be fair the entire damn thing is about the relationship between Mina and Akira, and the rest is really just filler in some ways ).

The whole loli-esque aspect of the show didnt appeal to me at all/was slightly offputting, kinda creeped me out a little bit at first, but I ignored/bypassed that by keeping in mind said young girl, is actually probably older than most of the other characters on the show, and her young girl guise is actually one of choice, not her actual form which made things feel a lot less 'wrong' lol.

I'm not sure whether I'd recommend it or not based on how random it was, and some of the scenes later on in the series whilst not showing anything were actually a bit uncomfortable in tone/implication, so I don't think I'd recommend it someone looking for light hearted romance.

Suprisingly happy, conclusive ending though considering the tone of the show up til then over the last couple of episodes, along with a reasonable setup for a second season, but then it ended conclusively enough to not actually require one [hope that makes sense]. I was actually expecting a much less conclusive ending in many ways, so I was quite happy the series left it at a point where you don't feel like it NEEDs another series, unlike some series where it feels like its ended on a major cliffhanger or they just run out of budget and couldnt make a longer season.

Definately a strange romance tale.

I also made the mistake of watching the 7.5 episode floating around before episode 7 accidentally. Now I don't know if thats an official episode or not, but it confused the HELL out of me at first heh
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 12:58   Link #1050
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audit01 View Post
From the way this anime ends i doubt that we will see a second season

From the ending Akira and Mina become officially a couple and they take an oath that they will be together until "ashes" set them apart ...
Looks like a complete ending to me
Well, there is still the open question about Mina's evil clone. They could definitely make a second season if they want.
Overall I enjoyed this series but it's not among my favourites. I think the pacing was too brisk, I never had the chance to connect to the characters. But it certainly motivated me to read the manga.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 14:17   Link #1051
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Aye, they could do a sequel, they left it open enough for one, but unlike a lot of series, with the final scene between Mina and Akira, it doesn't necessarily need one.

I think whether it gets another series will depend on the cashflow from this one; if its popular, they've left it open enough they can return to the property and continue where they left off, with more of Akira/Mina as a developing couple and a new plot arc and antagonists, or if they don't get a chance to produce another series, the series has an adequate sense of closure.
Even if they didn't answer everything, there is still closure on the main focus of the series which was Akira/Mina's relationship, in the sense they are obviously now together at the end of the series, and that last scene could virtually be taken as a marriage proposal in it's own right. (After all, with her winning the gambit on the Duke's 'game' she won the right to be with whomever she wanted and break free of the marriage agreement)
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 23:19   Link #1052
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The series was all over, and considering it was only 12 episodes long, all over the place is the wrong way to do things. If they were going to detract from the manga, they should have simply done so and come up with a tight story 12 episodes long. Shame.

I don't dig loli, so that was a pretty huge detraction for me, no matter what justifications I tried concerning Mina's real age. It doesn't help that she acts like a 12 year old most of the time. You'd think someone who's seen as much as she has, and made as many tough choices as he has, she'd have a little more spine, but whatever.

Sad to see Mei Ren die. Since she's sort of an amalgam of characters from the manga, I guess there's no point trying to figure out if there was more to her past in connection to Akira. She was one of the few changes I enjoyed over the manga. While we know next to nothing about her version of Mina, if Mei Ren is an example of the type of henchmen she's recruiting, I'd side with her over the emotionally menstrual Mina Akira is devoted to in a heartbeat.

About the only good thing I can hope for is that they had the input of the manga writers and there will be some cool Mina at some point as the enemy later on down the road in the manga itself. ;p

Oh, as for all the marriage stuff, if they really do further the anime in another season, I think it's obvious the "evolution" will have to be something that lets vampires continue without Mina having to have children by one of the princes. Otherwise, it would seem she's dooming her "race" if she really decides to go through with taking Akira and no one else as her lover boy. Still, an awfully selfish decision from someone who claims to be the queen. I'm biased of course, as I simply don't like Mina. Not that the manga version is much better.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 15:58   Link #1053
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Was any of the other music good? I stopped after 4--it felt all over the place and the manga was so much better.

Right now I still just want that one piece that played during the whole Chameleon vamp business.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 16:35   Link #1054
Sol Falling

The anime followed the manga pretty damn closely aside from the beginning arc and the conclusion, so I think anyone who dropped it claiming 'the manga was better' is missing out. Try a couple more episodes.

I've got a pretty bad memory for music but I can say that I thought the music 'placement' for Bund was really well done. I'm not at all qualified for any 'best soundtrack' declarations, but I can say I found one piece/sequence particularly awesome: namely the bit that kicked off episode 7. That was great.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 19:40   Link #1055
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Finally got to finish it a couple days ago. The whole attitude of the show really ran all over the place from start to finish, that's for sure.

I give it points for mostly avoiding "what happened to the budget" moments, even though it obviously had some budget issues. It did the best with what it had, and I can't really think of anything that howl with laughter because of a particularly weird looking frame.

Some scenes were so heavy-handedly serious that I just couldn't help either groaning or laughing a few times, usually about one per episode. Kinda comes with the territory in a show with vampires, though.

It was good that they managed to somehow insert all the loli nudity without making the viewer feel like a pedo, and without it seeming tacked on / cheesy / excessively fan-servicey. Of course some people will be creeped out anyway, but I thought it was all done tastefully enough.

Ending was... kinda one of those endings I don't really like. One of those endings where everything turns out more or less smoothly, with all characters intact, resolving everything, and yet giving a little hint of "but here's a way we could make another season if enough people buy the DVDs." The reason I don't like that is because it doesn't work, no matter what happens. If they do make a second season and pick up where they left off, you're left with these weird stop-and-go episodes in the middle. On the other hand, if they don't make another season, you're left wondering "hey, what about X-factor?"

Overall, in terms of how "good" the show was, not factoring in whether I liked it or not, I'd probably say 6/10.

If I score it based on how much I liked it, 7/10.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 20:48   Link #1056
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
...Some scenes were so heavy-handedly serious that I just couldn't help either groaning or laughing a few times, usually about one per episode. Kinda comes with the territory in a show with vampires, though....
The way they made these scenes work for me was by being ironic from the very start. They overplayed things tremendously in ep1, adding a lot of bizarre humor. And in ep2, they had that melodramatic music behind the rescue scene at the end. I thought they were intentionally overdoing it so that you expected that and it wouldn't put you off. You could accept the ironic distance and therefore not think it should be more realistic or everyday natural. That worked for me, but even at the time I thought it wasn't going to work for everybody.

I'm still a big believer in this show, but I do see various reasons why others aren't so enthusiastic.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 10:38   Link #1057
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The way they made these scenes work for me was by being ironic from the very start. They overplayed things tremendously in ep1, adding a lot of bizarre humor. And in ep2, they had that melodramatic music behind the rescue scene at the end. I thought they were intentionally overdoing it so that you expected that and it wouldn't put you off. You could accept the ironic distance and therefore not think it should be more realistic or everyday natural. That worked for me, but even at the time I thought it wasn't going to work for everybody.

I'm still a big believer in this show, but I do see various reasons why others aren't so enthusiastic.
Don't get me wrong, the intentional overplayed moments were great. I can always appreciate the advantages to that method of scene direction. It's when a show unintentionally commits a real groaner that completely pulls me out of the show and makes me laugh that I deduct points.

This is typically due to characters saying / doing things that make them seem more like automatons following a script without having any real reasoning behind their actions, except to further the scene.

I'm extremely picky about that sort of thing, so if a show manages to only stumble in such a way once per episode, that's actually saying something pretty positive. Same with the overall score, though. 6 - 7/10 is actually pretty good coming from me.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 00:30   Link #1058
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Hey, didn't SHAFT actually want to do the anime straight from the manga but the mangaka wanted to see how they would approach it on their own? SHAFT is a great studio and whoever was involved with bringing Mei Ran into the anime deserves a raise. I wish they didn't kill her off - she made a nice foil for Akira all things considered.

There's something about a girl when she can handle a shotgun like she can and doesn't wear bras on the first date. I'll miss her - and Veratos too. Hot damn, make ME a vampire please...

Anyone else think that Mina Trepes could be the love child of Alucard and Seras Vicotria?
Old 2010-04-21, 19:55   Link #1059
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Hey, didn't SHAFT actually want to do the anime straight from the manga but the mangaka wanted to see how they would approach it on their own? SHAFT is a great studio and whoever was involved with bringing Mei Ran into the anime deserves a raise. I wish they didn't kill her off - she made a nice foil for Akira all things considered.

There's something about a girl when she can handle a shotgun like she can and doesn't wear bras on the first date. I'll miss her - and Veratos too. Hot damn, make ME a vampire please...

Anyone else think that Mina Trepes could be the love child of Alucard and Seras Vicotria?
Both the anime and manga clearly state that Mina's mom is named Lucretia.

So, maybe Alucard had a little affair or two in the previous past 2 or 3 centuries.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 05:07   Link #1060
tyciol
*Artist

OMG that was fast I didn't even see ep 1 yet. There were good ol' days when the whole thing would be out for a month or something before it'd get picked up. I wonder if you can buy DL privs without physically owning discs since it's the kind of thing you don't want roommates to see.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance, seinen, shaft, supernatural, vampire, violence