AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-12, 15:56   Link #1
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Location: In Arcueid's arms, getting my blood drained by the neck. Or at least I wish.
For all those living in Korea.

Does anyone know how safe it is to download fansubs in Korea? Are there any legal actions taken against people who download fansubs of unlicensed series? How well do they detect downloaders?

I need to stay there for the winter break, and I'm trying to decide if I should continue my downloads of Bleach, My HiME, and Tsukuyomi Moon Phase or not. Some information would be appreciated.
STfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 16:48   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

AFAIK, safer than US. You don't need to worry about any Japanese anime license issues as they are quite anti-Japanese anyway...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 22:01   Link #3
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Location: In Arcueid's arms, getting my blood drained by the neck. Or at least I wish.
Are you sure? Let's not forget the degree of power Japanese have over the Korean economy. ^_^;;

The cyber police in Korea seems more active than the ones in the United States, though. And how strict are the ISP's on bandwidth? Do they automatically restrict, or charge you when you go over?

It'd be a nasty surprise if they did THAT.

Someone who's actually lived there tell me something about this?
Old 2004-12-12, 22:07   Link #4
HopelessLover

I think korea is pretty much like any other "don't give damn about certain things that other countries would give a damn about" in a sence that they don't give a damn if people download stuff or not.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 22:11   Link #5
dreamless

well, I'm pretty sure that Korean government will never dare to stop fansubs just because of some demands from Japanese animation company, unless they want to be labelled as traitors by the vast majority of the Korean people and face angry mobs of demonstrators. At least that's what I have gathered from the Koreans I know.
Old 2004-12-12, 22:42   Link #6
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
im korean and im watching korean subs.
although im in USA.
and korean subs use .smi files and are usually softsubs.
Korean subs are very fast too. its just that its hard to find it, since they dont use bittorrent that much and mostly used P2P program is emule or pruna. and one more thing, there are a BUNCH of pay to use p2p program which are really useful and you have less chance to be targetted by any "cyberpolices."
its about 3~5mb per 1 won. which is 1/1000 of 1000 won
which equals about a dollar. but to register, you need the korean social security number.
also i havent heard of anyone in korea that got "sued"
for downloading licensed anime.
and sueing is VERY MINOR in korea.
here, you get in a fight, break a bone or two.
BAM! you can sue.
but in korea, its usually overlooked.
and there are FAR MORE otakus in korea than america.
comparing by the ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
AFAIK, safer than US. You don't need to worry about any Japanese anime license issues as they are quite anti-Japanese anyway...
Koreans arent anti-japanese..... say stuff that are factual. You're living in the WWII. and that was long ago.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 22:54   Link #7
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Quote:
well, I'm pretty sure that Korean government will never dare to stop fansubs just because of some demands from Japanese animation company, unless they want to be labelled as traitors by the vast majority of the Korean people and face angry mobs of demonstrators. At least that's what I have gathered from the Koreans I know.
Dreamless is got it about right. Japanese don't have any power over the Korean economy. Matterfact, Korea practically has an embargo on Japan. It's not quite an embargo, but taxes are huge on imports. I'd almost never consider moving there because it'd be damn hard to get any sort of car I'd like unless I was willing to pay up the ass. Koreans have a relationship with Japan like Jews have a relationship with Nazis. It's not really that bad anymore, but lots of older people dislike them. Damn near 40 years of occupation and pillaging will do that.
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 23:05   Link #8
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
Koreans arent anti-japanese..... say stuff that are factual. You're living in the WWII. and that was long ago.
Yeah it kind of is old school, but alot of older people still don't like them.
Old 2004-12-12, 23:08   Link #9
sOnJoOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Yeah it kind of is old school, but alot of older people still don't like them.
yea, but the new generations gets along well.
Old 2004-12-12, 23:26   Link #10
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Not to get terribly off subject, but would you happen to know somewhere I can dl Korean movies, cartoons, dramas, whatever. I'm actually half-Korean and my Korean is pretty limited. I thought it would help if I watch some of these. I'd like to make an attempt at moving there one day. I'll just make sure I can afford to get a car imported. Koreans have no sports car. What gives? Everything was like luxury cars and suvs.
Old 2004-12-12, 23:32   Link #11
sOnJoOL

i dont think im allowed to tell you....
but that doesnt mean.....
Old 2004-12-13, 00:36   Link #12
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

So, wait. What are the chances of getting caught by Korean cyberpolice?

What do they do to you if you get caught?

How good (or existent) are they?
Old 2004-12-13, 01:14   Link #13
dreamless

Quote:
hmm... maybe a bit off-topic... I'm not in Korea, but from what I gather from the Koreans I know (my university has some Korean transfer students) and all those news reports of Korean people (including the younger generations) refusing japanese goods and public demonstrations against japanese government, it doesn't exactly sound like they get along all that well? Or are those reports exaggerations? (and for the Koreans I know, they seem to indeed consciously avoid japanese products)

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-12-13 at 02:39.
Old 2004-12-13, 09:34   Link #14
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Please stay on topic. I do need to gather some details by the end of the week. :/

How good is the cyberpolice, and do they care about anime downloading?
Old 2004-12-13, 10:37   Link #15
zappater
zapper

The little information I know is that Europe is not even close to being as good as asian countrys when it comes to filesharing and the speed of broadband.
I at least think that says alot.
zappater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 18:31   Link #16
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Dammit. Somebody tell me.
Old 2004-12-13, 19:17   Link #17
sOnJoOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by STfan
Dammit. Somebody tell me.
i already said it in my first post
Old 2004-12-13, 23:36   Link #18
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Quote:
hmm... maybe a bit off-topic... I'm not in Korea, but from what I gather from the Koreans I know (my university has some Korean transfer students) and all those news reports of Korean people (including the younger generations) refusing japanese goods and public demonstrations against japanese government, it doesn't exactly sound like they get along all that well? Or are those reports exaggerations? (and for the Koreans I know, they seem to indeed consciously avoid japanese products)

How about this, Maybe some people in Korea hate the Japanese, and most people dont or dont realy care. Those news reports could have been from a Fox News type station

Its like that everywere else(Just insert Nationality, Religion, Race etc, etc, etc.)

Edit: I understand that some people still are living in WW2, one word I have to say it, Stop living in the past and look to the future, we cant get anywhere when we are living in the past.

Last edited by Reaver4k; 2004-12-13 at 23:46.
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 00:06   Link #19
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Quote:
i already said it in my first post
Yes, but how active is the cyberpolice, and what sort of things do they like to crack down on?
Old 2004-12-14, 00:40   Link #20
Phantom Blade

Quote:
becuz korean products are better. jk.
maybe u see them avoiding japanese products such as kimchi, rice, ice cream... or any food product that doesnt fit their taste as much as the korean products do. For example, i cant stand japanese kimchi, but i love krn kimchi.
as for electronics, japan hasnt been doing so well lately, it's my opinion. lot of asians that i know perfer samsung over sony these days, including many japanese friends i have.
the public demonstrations? maybe it's becuz korean-japanese citizens "have often faced discrimination and been treated as second-class citizens." (BBC)

korea and japan dont get along well politically, but hmm it does take more than 50 yrs to fix wat they did, especially if they decide to hide it from younger generations. and japan did try and conquer korea for like 600 yrs

but hey! they do get along rather well outside of politics:
[link]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4092289.stm[/link]

on topic tho
i dont live in korea.
Phantom Blade is offline   Reply With Quote