AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2022-02-06, 18:20   Link #41
justavisitor

I am pretty sure brightman means the gundam build fighters (that's 7 years ago right)...

Honestly, I think gundam since AGE is....a bit different.

Of course, now we look back and praise how good g-gundam was...maybe in 20 years, we will be praising how good AGE and Gundam build fighter were.... (and I forgot to mention Reconguista in G XD)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-06, 18:48   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I am pretty sure brightman means the gundam build fighters (that's 7 years ago right)...

Of course, now we look back and praise how good g-gundam was...maybe in 20 years, we will be praising how good AGE and Gundam build fighter were.... (and I forgot to mention Reconguista in G XD)
Yeah... that's not going to happen

The reason G Gundam was initially badly received is that it turned Gundam, the father of real robot shows, into a super robot show. Naturally, quite a few fans were put off.

AGE and Reconguista in G are just plain bad. As for Build fighters, it was well received (the first season at least). You're thinking of Divers.
Old 2022-02-07, 00:42   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
We won't know until Brightman himself define what is the stellar "direction" the early Gundam franchise had that the current one doesn't have.

Quote:
Of course. Since AGE was the franchise's biggest flop in years.

Quote:
Despite some Gundam fans backlash, G Gundam still brought good rating & toy sales.

OTOH we have Akihiro Hino & Tomino publicly apologized for the fiasco that were AGE & G-Reco. Those two entries were actually pretty tone deaf when it comes to the audience they tried to target.

Build shows never had a commercial problem. It sold merch like candy.

Btw, G-Reco movies are actually (much) better than the TV show. I've watched 3 movies so far out of the planned 5.
Old 2022-02-12, 02:01   Link #44
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

I think he simply means an overarching era from start to end.

None of new AU reach same length as UC so in a sense it looks like AU failed establishing something.
Looking again, without context, doesn't Witch of Mercury sounds "Chapter 2"-ish title when put side-by-side with Iron-Blooded Orphans? Not surprising if due to that some think 'maybe this indicated continuation to IBO era like Destiny to SEED (or maybe Z to ZZ)? Why no past AU even tried like this smh.'

Old 2022-02-12, 03:57   Link #45
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Why no past AU even tried like this smh.'

AU shows were designed to last 1-3 years to lure new audiences & get new fans for Gundam franchise before the show's lore is getting too much to follow for the next batch of new audience. After one AU ended, Ban-rise simply make another AU to keep things fresh & attract more newcomers and so on.

They were doing relatively fine with AUs until Gundam X bombed, and Tomino's Turn-A didn't help either. They struck gold with SEED with its potential to replace UC. but then Bandai were rushing the sequel like crazy that it resulted in a LOT of problems and I bet such working condition only worsened Morosawa's health in the process. And I guess after the Destiny fiasco, Bandai didn't feel confident to continue the CE era anime TV show & movie without Fukuda & Morosawa (RIP). After Destiny fiasco, they became more careful in creating AU shows. They go back to the G Gundam era where they really entrusted the story to the visionary showrunners' without too much story-meddling & rushing from sponsors & executive. Following someone's vision can be tricky & risky but at least the story came purely from them from start to finish. Mizushima-Kuroda did great with Gundam 00, Yamaguchi-Hino did bad with AGE & Nagai-Okada did great with IBO.

Now I'm wondering who are the WFM's showrunners and what is their vision (if this is new AU).
Old 2022-02-12, 05:28   Link #46
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I can't help but think that the protagonist is a witch (like the in Disney animated films a la Snow White) who uses magic to power a mobile suit.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-13, 17:45   Link #47
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

A new AU, at last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
full-on fantasy Gundam .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
who uses magic to power a mobile suit.
Yes please?

For all we know it could be Escaflowne meets Gundam.

Oh wait... that was Turn A (sort of)...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2022-02-13 at 17:55.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-13, 21:27   Link #48
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

I'd be down for a magi-punk Gundam series for a more off-the-wall feel like G-Gundam.
Old 2022-03-29, 00:40   Link #49
kiak666

We finally got a look at the protagonist as well as the main Gundam:

http://en.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/witch/

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202203/29256368.html

Last edited by kiak666; 2022-03-29 at 01:56.
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-29, 01:58   Link #50
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Hm...the MS designs aren't bad. But the two Gundam types arms and shoulders are too small and scrawny compared to the chest. Need to beef them up a little. I mean it's ok, but a slight alteration couldn't hurt.

I am glad to see the return of head vulcans though. That's always a pleasing design element to me.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-29, 02:35   Link #51
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Finally! A female MC for Gundam TV show (after other female MCs in mangas, novels, games & OVAs/ONAs).

Liking the designs so far as they go for the more "female" aesthetics.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^ THICC Thighs!
Old 2022-03-29, 06:08   Link #52
Marina2

This might actually make me watch Gundam again after.......umm.......uh...Gundam Age, I think?
Old 2022-03-29, 06:14   Link #53
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I'll wait for more details.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-29, 07:08   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^ THICC Thighs!
Looks like the Exia's cousin.

I'm happy we're finally getting a female MC in a Gundam series. About damn time.
Old 2022-03-29, 07:53   Link #55
darkdhaos

This new series looks very promising, the only female protagonist that I have ever saw in a Gundam series was Asuna Elmarit in the manga " Mobile Suit Gundam École du Ciel".
darkdhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-29, 08:39   Link #56
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Somehow I kinda get feeling this will be story about female, less gritty version of Mikazuki.

Can't say I'm happy with Aerial design. The other two can easily get pass with aerial / space combat reasoning but Aerial itself is like screaming for attachment.
It felt so incomplete especially with slots and vulnerable-looking parts from behind. Sales is a thing but can they at least not making it obvious like 00 and Barbatos.

Old 2022-03-29, 09:02   Link #57
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdhaos View Post
This new series looks very promising, the only female protagonist that I have ever saw in a Gundam series was Asuna Elmarit in the manga "Mobile Suit Gundam École du Ciel".
I like Arlette Almage from Twilight AXIS novel/manga. It's a shame the short ONA didn't adapt the story properly. There's also Alma Stirner from the recent GBO2 - Code Fairy game.

Wait......why are these Gundam female MCs' names always start with "A"??

Quote:
Somehow I kinda get feeling this will be story about female, less gritty version of Mikazuki.
Didn't they say that they want to make this show accessible to younger audience? That line kinda scare me. I don't want another AGE. This is why I can't wait to find out who is the team that will be responsible for this.

Quote:
Can't say I'm happy with Aerial design. The other two can easily get pass with aerial / space combat reasoning but Aerial itself is like screaming for attachment.
It felt so incomplete especially with slots and vulnerable-looking parts from behind. Sales is a thing but can they at least not making it obvious like 00 and Barbatos.
Speaking of, Strike, Impulse & G-Self also felt lacking without something on their backs. It's the "Gundam F90"-mentality back in the 90s.
Old 2022-03-29, 10:20   Link #58
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Speaking of, Strike, Impulse & G-Self also felt lacking without something on their backs. It's the "Gundam F90"-mentality back in the 90s.
Maybe the better word is ... didn't felt like it passed minimum standard?

F90, Strike, 00, G-Self and Barbatos are nice because by looks alone one can consider it a finished, higher quality product compare to mass-produced. Only lack unique weapon.
Aerial doesn't gave similar impression other than 'the titular mecha'. Meanwhile Impulse is rare case given it doesn't take long for ZAFT themselves claimed it selling point on military forces is the gimmick compare to Abyss, Chaos and Gaia. So while it doesn't look nicely built compare to other protagonist mecha there's good reason why the design justified compare to other properly armored ZAFT machines.

Not the first time I saw that amount of gap; it kinda similar to Tauburn, Reshbal and Samekh from Star Driver which act as thruster(s) considering two of them are high-mobility mechs. By name Aerial probably goes with similar line of thought but leaving most of it visible really gave me impression of 'product that didn't pass safety check'.

Looking at the purple machine (that maybe the enemy) feet, seems like the focus will be space and aerial combat.
Old 2022-03-29, 13:01   Link #59
Frontier

The first female MC in a mainline Gundam series! Awesome !

It'll be interesting to see how they approach it and what kind of impact having a female protagonist will have. I mean, the franchise has been lead by so many emotionally damaged/complex boys, that I'm curious if it'll be any different with a girl. Although she looks pretty serious in the teaser visual .

I'm guessing she's also the titular "Witch From Mercury," so I wonder if she's called a witch because of her piloting skills or because of whatever Newtype-esque powers she has .

Will the rival/Char Clone also be female ?

The Aerial looks like if Barbatos and G-Self had a baby .
Old 2022-03-29, 15:37   Link #60
Blaat

Can't say I like the Gundam design but I like the character design and looking forward to seeing the first main Gundam series with a female protagonist.