AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-10, 18:33   Link #1
Lil Kis

Can anyone tell me how great or not so great Shiki is as a anime?

Well i'm looking for a great anime show to watch and was wondering which anime I should buy....I saw Shiki at my local best buy and it looks real neat....It's by the same creators as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood too so that is a +....Anyways any comments on how great or not so great this new dubbed funimation show is? I will be buying it off on amazon.com sometime soon....so plz help and thanks!!!
Old 2012-06-10, 18:44   Link #2
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

This is the wrong forum. You want the Suggestions forum.

As for the show itself, I wouldn't use the fact that it's by the makers of fullmetal alchemist as any indicator. I've heard the show was decent, however. Decent enough to spend money on though?
Old 2012-06-10, 18:53   Link #3
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I liked it, but TBT it was like watching salem's lot expanded to 20+ episodes, it even has the pacing of a 70s TV series (as in, slow by nowadays standards).

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-06-10 at 20:07.
Old 2012-06-10, 19:08   Link #4
Lil Kis

any other opinions? Thanks
Old 2012-06-10, 19:25   Link #5
Eragon
Still Alive

Well I'm currently watching it and it does feel slow - and I mean very slow. But who knows might get better later.
Old 2012-06-10, 20:45   Link #6
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Well I'm currently watching it and it does feel slow - and I mean very slow. But who knows might get better later.
You have to think about it as real life. I mean, in any vampire/zombie flick your neighbor tells you there are undead next door and you grab your tools and go undead smashing. In real life no matter who tells you there are undeads next door your will NOT go on a murder spree (since there are no undeads IRL).
Old 2012-06-10, 21:08   Link #7
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
First half is set up,in the second half all hell breaks loose.

Quote:
It's by the same creators as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood too so that is a +
No idea where you got that from,no major staff in this was involved in FMA brotherhood.
Old 2012-06-10, 23:13   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Why don't you just watch Shiki at Hulu and see if you think it's worth it? The complete series is available there with subs along with the first four dubbed episodes. "Try before you buy," as they say. Nearly all of Funimation's shows are available at Hulu.

FMA: Brotherhood was produced by BONES; they're not listed anywhere on the ANN page for Shiki. However both shows were licensed and released in the US by Funimation. Perhaps that's why you think they share a production staff?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-10 at 23:25.
Old 2012-06-11, 00:47   Link #9
Ferp

The first four episodes are slow, but it picks up and gets pretty good.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:13   Link #10
jesh462

I saw it all and thought it was pretty interesting. It's quite a different take on vampires than you normally come across. The show deals more with the impact of the supernatural on the town as a whole, and how people feel about death. Without going into to much detail, I'd rate it a 7/10. I never felt bored, but it was nothing I'd write down on my top 10 list, or even top 30.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:28   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
If you like horror then it's a good buy.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-06-11, 14:35   Link #12
kitten320

I loved the show, one of my faves.

1) I like slow paced shows, besides it does need a build up. As mangamuscle said, no one will believe that there are vampires in real life and that's exactly what happens in Shiki. Biggest part waves it off, another stumbles on some clues and third finds the truth through research.

2) Second half is worth it though last episode could wrap things better.

3) What you should remember is that those are not exactly mystery series. As a viewer you know what is happening. Imagine yourself as a scientist who puts a serpent in a cage with rats. You watch and observe the outcome, how both serpent and rats will react and deal with the problem. Same here, you observe.

Why not watch it online first?