AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-16, 20:57   Link #301
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Gundam can still get more out of the current formula, there are still a lot more story's to be told.

Gundam doesn't necessarily need any dramatic change to survive.. It simply needs to adapt. (like it did with Seed and 00)
Old 2010-12-16, 23:16   Link #302
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Gundam can still get more out of the current formula, there are still a lot more story's to be told.

Gundam doesn't necessarily need any dramatic change to survive.. It simply needs to adapt. (like it did with Seed and 00)
Agreed.

Is Sunrise willing to do that though? I'm liking Unicorn but it's the same formula for the most part.
Old 2010-12-16, 23:53   Link #303
monster

Quote:
Ino that. You can make anything and call it Gundam. But why would you? Gundam has a basic formula that works well, so why would you ask for this kind of dramatic and desperate change?
I'm not saying they would make or need such a change. I'm just saying that, if they do, don't just immediately dismiss it as a Macross/Transformer clone.

And since you're already spoiled, it would seem that 00 has indeed introduced alien beings to Gundam in quite a prominent role (I haven't actually seen it myself).
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 00:01   Link #304
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I'm not saying they would make or need such a change. I'm just saying that, if they do, don't just immediately dismiss it as a Macross/Transformer clone.

And since you're already spoiled, it would seem that 00 has indeed introduced alien beings to Gundam in quite a prominent role (I haven't actually seen it myself).
I agree. Since the common themes are: teenager pilots, V-fin mechs, and space colonisation. Although, I would want to see more adult pilots take the lead this time instead of kids, oh and less gundam jacks.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 02:24   Link #305
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Actually that's only for the film. The series itself completely lacks aliens.
Old 2010-12-17, 02:34   Link #306
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Actually that's only for the film. The series itself completely lacks aliens.
True, but they're in the same continuity.
Old 2010-12-17, 02:35   Link #307
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

It would be some awesome if this new series was an animated Ring of Gundam. I know that's UC and I've said before I'm not all for another UC show.

But Ring of Gundam would be the exception. When in the UC does that take place?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 02:35   Link #308
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
True, but they're in the same continuity.
True. I'm just saying that everyone was making it sound like the aliens were in the actual series.
Old 2010-12-17, 02:37   Link #309
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
True. I'm just saying that everyone was making it sound like the aliens were in the actual series.
We should say, "The series that introduced aliens". Not the whole series, but the series itself.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2010-12-17 at 20:17.
Old 2010-12-17, 20:00   Link #310
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Nha, I won't immediately dismiss somethig like that.

But seriously, then what makes Gundam "Gundam"? Is it really just the V-fins? I believed Gundam was about Human and political drama and the harsh nature of war and the effect it has on people... Ideologies vs ideologies.. People vs people... am I wrong here?

Quote:
yeah about that, what happened to the good ol spoiler tags?
Old 2010-12-17, 20:32   Link #311
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
yeah about that, what happened to the good ol spoiler tags?
To be fair the information has been floating around for quite a while, and even the first few trailers hinted it.
Old 2010-12-17, 20:40   Link #312
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I agree, aliens being the focus of the 00 movie isn't exactly...spoilerish. It's fairly old and well known news.
Old 2010-12-18, 00:01   Link #313
monster

Quote:
But seriously, then what makes Gundam "Gundam"? Is it really just the V-fins? I believed Gundam was about Human and political drama and the harsh nature of war and the effect it has on people... Ideologies vs ideologies.. People vs people... am I wrong here?
What makes Gundam a "Gundam show" is the Gundam itself, of course. But you can still have a political/war drama with or without aliens. The ideologies shown in Gundam wouldn't really change whether you're fighting against humans or aliens. The aliens just act like another faction in this case. And you don't have to limit it to just humans vs aliens conflicts. You can have humans vs humans conflicts as well while still having the presence of aliens, whether it be as one or more of the subplots, or as the main plot altogether.
Old 2010-12-18, 10:27   Link #314
rakusukira

Quote:
What makes Gundam a "Gundam show" is the Gundam itself, of course. But you can still have a political/war drama with or without aliens. The ideologies shown in Gundam wouldn't really change whether you're fighting against humans or aliens. The aliens just act like another faction in this case. And you don't have to limit it to just humans vs aliens conflicts. You can have humans vs humans conflicts as well while still having the presence of aliens, whether it be as one or more of the subplots, or as the main plot altogether.
aliens in a gundam show??

i don't think so.. to me, Gundam is about how cruel war can be, the stories of individuals who experienced the war and the very importance of peace.. adding aliens to it is kinda like....... not so realistic.. when in fact, Gundam always gives this kind of realistic vibe..

GUNDAM just needs a new concept but they better keep the realism intact...

SEED was a new kind of concept and if you look at our condition today, the causalities in SEED can happen in our society in the near future with the rising popularity of artificial pregnancies

maybe I'm biased because...

Spoiler for 00:
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 16:47   Link #315
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
aliens in a gundam show??

i don't think so.. to me, Gundam is about how cruel war can be, the stories of individuals who experienced the war and the very importance of peace.. adding aliens to it is kinda like....... not so realistic.. when in fact, Gundam always gives this kind of realistic vibe..

GUNDAM just needs a new concept but they better keep the realism intact...

SEED was a new kind of concept and if you look at our condition today, the causalities in SEED can happen in our society in the near future with the rising popularity of artificial pregnancies

maybe I'm biased because...

Spoiler for 00:
I understand your concern, and let me make this clear, I'm not saying Gundam has to have aliens (although the 00 movie seems to have them already, while Turn A and SEED hint at the possibility).

But look at it this way: Gundam is still science fiction. And when you have a science fiction story that shows humans living outside of earth, even while still inside the solar system, it's not all that strange to have aliens as well.

If we can accept fictional particles, psychics, ghosts, mutants, and super robot magics, not to mention the improbable mecha designs themselves, then I think an alien presence wouldn't tip the balance of realism too much in Gundam.
Old 2010-12-19, 09:39   Link #316
rakusukira

Quote:
I understand your concern, and let me make this clear, I'm not saying Gundam has to have aliens (although the 00 movie seems to have them already, while Turn A and SEED hint at the possibility).

But look at it this way: Gundam is still science fiction. And when you have a science fiction story that shows humans living outside of earth, even while still inside the solar system, it's not all that strange to have aliens as well.

If we can accept fictional particles, psychics, ghosts, mutants, and super robot magics, not to mention the improbable mecha designs themselves, then I think an alien presence wouldn't tip the balance of realism too much in Gundam.
seriously, i think those stuff are already enough.. what I meant is that ALIENS remove the REALISTIC vibe..

they can make it look as realistic as they can be.. but ALIENS are just..... too fictional..

perhaps 200 years from now those fictional particles, psychics, ghosts, mutants, and super robot magics, will really exist.. but ALIENS?? i don't think so...
Old 2010-12-19, 09:41   Link #317
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Why are people so sure that we're the only one of the intelligent race in this world?
Old 2010-12-19, 10:00   Link #318
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Why are people so sure that we're the only one of the intelligent race in this world?
Because... we haven't found another intelligent race?
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 11:14   Link #319
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
Because... we haven't found another intelligent race?
ABSOLUTELY
Old 2010-12-19, 12:23   Link #320
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
ABSOLUTELY
Did we ever confirm that those "fictional particles, psychics, ghosts, mutants, and super robot magics...." exist?