Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-08, 20:25   Link #901
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
There are girls that interact with the main character, therefore it MUST be harem!

This pisses me off more than anything in the world (right now)

A fair amount of girls think I'm awesome but I assure you that they aren't falling for me.

Geez.
Hey I've been a 'Harem' Otaku since like 1998 with Hand Maid May , geez look at my avatar note, it's been there since I signed up.

Sorry folks this is NOT a Harem as of Episode 1.
We've met 3 Guys, 7 or so girls, and of them only the sister gives off a Himawari like vibe (She's a pamper me Onichan vibe)
Are you pointing out the perverted monk's mention of moe? I'm thinking he was doing that to get Tatsuya MAD and mess up his skill.

So far not a single girl has shown any boy there any kind of 'Lets be Boyfriend / Girlfriend' kind of looks.

A harem must have at least 3 active people who are trying for the Boy's interest and those 3 MUST try to interfere with the others at times (usually when they think there is a date going on). If there are only 2, it's a love Triangle. If there is only 1, it's a date. If you remember the only harem that ends up with all Tenchi GXP, they all did argue in the beginning

Right now its ZERO. Can I say that after episode 12? Well ask me when Episode 12 is here.

If you are leaving because of Incest, then leave and stop trolling. I don't see any evidence of Incest here. (So far)

Now can someone answer me why the skirt designs are so different? I'm interested on a fact I must've missed somewhere.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 20:30   Link #902
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Hey I've been a 'Harem' Otaku since like 1998 with Hand Maid May , geez look at my avatar note, it's been there since I signed up.

Sorry folks this is NOT a Harem as of Episode 1.
We've met 3 Guys, 7 or so girls, and of them only the sister gives off a Himawari like vibe (She's a pamper me Onichan vibe)
Are you pointing out the perverted monk's mention of moe? I'm thinking he was doing that to get Tatsuya MAD and mess up his skill.

So far not a single girl has shown any boy there any kind of 'Lets be Boyfriend / Girlfriend' kind of looks.

A harem must have at least 3 active people who are trying for the Boy's interest and those 3 MUST try to interfere with the others at times (usually when they think there is a date going on). If there are only 2, it's a love Triangle. If there is only 1, it's a date.

Right now its ZERO. Can I say that after episode 12? Well ask me when Episode 12 is here.

If you are leaving because of Incest, then leave and stop trolling. I don't see any evidence of Incest here. (So far)

Now can someone answer me why the skirt designs are so different? I'm interested on a fact I must've missed somewhere.
I was the guy complaining about the skirt designs before this aired. As it turns out, the design was just different in the manga. The ones you see in the anime are quite faithful to the illustrations in the LN.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 20:32   Link #903
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Probably a shift in fashion. After all, what was fashionable in the 80s is no longer fashionable in the 90'. Big hair, thanks god they are gone they are horrible on women, rolled up jeans bottoms, etc... Also remember the skirt lenghts in anime pre-1990?
Old 2014-04-08, 20:35   Link #904
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Probably a shift in fashion. After all, what was fashionable in the 80s is no longer fashionable in the 90'. Big hair, thanks god they are gone they are horrible on women, rolled up jeans bottoms, etc... Also remember the skirt lenghts in anime pre-1990?
Actually I was wondering what the color coding was for.

Old 2014-04-08, 20:41   Link #905
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I've actually forgotten if this allowed, but what about saying something like "This question cannot be answered here due to the spoiler policy. If you really must know, this is a link to the first page of the LN thread, ask there"? That might be a reasonable compromise, I suppose.
This would be preferable, yes, though you could just link to the LN sub-forum on the whole.
Old 2014-04-08, 20:42   Link #906
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
I believe someone also explained in this thread earlier about how the siblings are still considered the same year due to the school term starting in April in Japan, so technically those born in March of the following year are also considered in the same "school year calendar".
The way I understand it, Japan has very rigid rules about school dates and ages. The school year starts in April and ends the following March. Students enter school dependent upon whether they turn a particular age during the school year. So two students born in the same calendar year, one in late March, one in early April, days apart, would be in separate school years. But if the March student was born in the next calendar year, they would be in the same school year. The Shiba siblings are in such a situation, with Tatsuya born in April and Miyuki born in the next March.

Quote:
I think it's school year.

1st - blue
2nd - green
3rd - yellow

I haven't noticed any difference in the male uniforms, though.
Old 2014-04-08, 20:44   Link #907
BW95
Banned

Quote:
I think those uniforms come in three different designs on the jackets. So far I've seen orange, green, and blue. Maybe they represent the difference in years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
The way I understand it, Japan has very rigid rules about school dates and ages. The school year starts in April and ends the following March. Students enter school dependent upon whether they turn a particular age during the school year. So two students born in the same calendar year, one in late March, one in early April, days apart, would be in separate school years. But if the March student was born in the next calendar year, they would be in the same school year. The Shiba siblings are in such a situation, with Tatsuya born in April and Miyuki born in the next March.
It happens here too. I got a friend who's a year older than me, but in the same grade because he was born later in the school year.
Old 2014-04-08, 20:54   Link #908
larethian

They are not representative of years nor affiliations and the like. Just look at the character web page, and that much would be obvious. And no, I have no idea about the color scheme either. Erika doesn't even wear one lol.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 20:55   Link #909
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
They are not representative of years nor affiliations and the like. Just look at the character web page, and that much would be obvious. And no, I have no idea about the color scheme either.
Then I guess it's just the student's preference.
Old 2014-04-08, 23:35   Link #910
kagato3

Given how standard they are they are likely optional extras to the uniform. With the fall winter spring pattern maybe they are the .seasonal versions of the uniform and the girls are just wearing the version they prefer.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 23:39   Link #911
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Given how standard they are they are likely optional extras to the uniform. With the fall winter spring pattern maybe they are the .seasonal versions of the uniform and the girls are just wearing the version they prefer.
Now that makes sense! Thanks. Winter miyuki, spring Mizuki, summer or fall Mayumi

Old 2014-04-09, 00:06   Link #912
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post

Of course I can. And I wasn't even the one who called this manga harem. I'm just saying what she said and I'm making a "joke" out of it.
Ayana Taketatsu could have easily played Erika. I don't know why they just didn't cast her for that role to complete the loop, haha
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:19   Link #913
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Thats kind of disturbing, I knew these character designs looked familiar. lol
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:28   Link #914
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
heh. The designs are a coincidence. The voice cast, maybe not so much.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:32   Link #915
kukuru

As mentioned again and again a lot of it is part of the novel. The writing goes in length to world build and explain even trivial things its is impossible to make the anime do what it does with its time table.

The directing isn't the best but with one episode probably not the worse either. Unless you want a constant kyon like internal monologue for every little event, you wil l just have to let itself full flesh out on its own.

Everything down to the clothing is explained through it.

And no you really can't classify this as a harem anime. If anything its a
Spoiler for type:
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:55   Link #916
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
They are not representative of years nor affiliations and the like. Just look at the character web page, and that much would be obvious. And no, I have no idea about the color scheme either. Erika doesn't even wear one lol.
Yeah, you're right. Had just read the manga until today when I finally saw the episode. Erika doesn't wear one, and megane-girl wears a green one, so my assumption was wrong (even if a number of the other girls fit). I like the winter/spring/fall idea. It at least makes sense that Miyuki would wear the winter-themed one, given her apparent ice affinity (and name).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
They do use a lot of standard anime character designs... The Lelouche, The Yamato Nadeshiko, The Loli, The "Good" Oujo-sama (usually distinguishable from the "Bad" version by lack of twin-tails), The Cute Meganekko, The Red-headed Tomboy, and pretty much every variation of Mr. Other Guy Who Isn't a Rival, with the most common variation reserved for Leo. They even have a rather chaste version of The Hot Teacher thrown in for good measure (odd, in a series where most the protagonists don't have teachers due to plot).

I find it interesting that the most uncommon character design (not seen yet, but on the webpage) looks like a generic Western animated hero character.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2014-04-09 at 01:13.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 01:42   Link #917
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quol View Post
I wonder about that, from what i see from the current weeds they arent well rounded and they dont excel in magic but rather have some other area that they are good at.
That's what 'well rounded' means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X View Post
<some stuff that may or may not be spoilers>
Basically the "blooms" are generaly better in magic then the "weeds" and it IS a magic school.
I never asked for any such explanation. I just noted how the weeds seem more well rounded than the blooms because all they seem to be good at is magic. OF COURSE I know it's a magic school, it's right there in the title. I'm not an idiot.

Last edited by Dengar; 2014-04-09 at 01:53.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 03:14   Link #918
Rava

Quote:

I never asked for any such explanation. I just noted how the weeds seem more well rounded than the blooms because all they seem to be good at is magic. OF COURSE I know it's a magic school, it's right there in the title. I'm not an idiot.
When you think about it, this is actually the point of the entire fracas for the latter half of the episode -- they've only just enrolled after being freshly sorted by a placement test, so any "superiority" of the Blooms over the Weeds is solely from the distribution of that 1 practical exam so far.

Of course, then you have outliers in that assessment. Mizuki, for example, is clearly not a Bloom, but the only thing that seems to be well rounded about her is her body... the only other description you could give her so far is that of someone with a very dirty mind.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 08:11   Link #919
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Honestly, with the way asian schools are setup, Weeds and Blooms segregating and all that discrimination... it's already happening in schools anyway. Take Malaysia - for the longest time ever, it was considered that the smart kids went into the Science stream, and the stupid kids did Arts stream and Commerce stream. You had official government approved short story novella competition winners writing about the angst of Arts stream students because they're useless, while it's the Science steam who will build the nation.

Quote:

Basically, the impression I get of the Weeds is that unlike the Blooms, who've been going to tuition nonstop in pursuit of ridiculous shit like 16 As and perfect scores and are basically Honor Roll students, the Weeds are pretty smart, but still more or less normal people who manage to still have a life.

I'm fairly smart, and I could have been one of those straight As students if I'd really poured my heart and soul into my studies, but I preferred to coast by. At least I had a life and interests outside of school.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by LKK; 2014-04-09 at 08:58.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 08:26   Link #920
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with Wild Goose. I don't see anything that weird about the Weed/Bloom thing.

Kids/teenagers often segregate on socioeconomic or demographic lines anyway. If you throw on top of that a school formally recognizing and requiring such a segregation, it'll just make the division that much more pronounced and deeply felt. The blooms are basically told by adults that they're the hottest stuff around, so naturally many of them will be full of bluster and pride and thinking that they should only mix with the other crème de la crème - the other blooms. The fact that the bloom status is rooted in test scores even adds a touch of objectivity/merit to all of this, further entrenching the sense of superiority that the blooms have.

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural