AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-16, 22:22   Link #201
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Man the music placement and the sound design is fantastic in this episode.
I love the soft, cute, but slightly off-kilter synth music that starts playing during some of Yuki's especially vivid delusions. It's sooooooo creepy in that understated way that really gets you.

The sound design has been very muted and atmospheric which I think is always a great choice for these kinds of serious dramas.

This really is, so far, as good of an adaptation as you could ask for.
Old 2015-07-16, 22:36   Link #202
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I know I'm going to regret this but I'm still continuing with this series. Trying not to watch at night though. I get frightened easily...even with animated, moe characters involved. >_<

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 22:47   Link #203
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Episode 2

This is a rare confluence of depressing and heartwarming if I ever saw one. Yuki has such great friends around her, but I often wonder whether it's the delusion or reality that's worse to go through. My only concern is the story being the kind of show you only watch once, never knowing what's what or who's going to make it. It's a mystery that might lose its luster when rewatching, but maybe once is you all need. The threat of approaching zombies is all the context the show needs to justify fear no matter how dark or bright the setting. The jump-cut foreplay masterfully teases our eyes. The ambient soundtrack stimulates our ears to a near climax. And yet we never feel the pleasure of releasing a scream, and instead are forced to keep wondering how the show may yet continue to molest our senses.

This fucking show.
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 23:39   Link #204
Silverwyrm

As a manga reader I am enjoying it, despite a couple changes that threw me off there are so many minor details I can notice and appreciate because of things I know about it later. Its also a lot of fun to see how people here react and view certain things.

Now lets be very careful not to cross the spoiler line please
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 00:21   Link #205
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 2:
Damn, the OP changed some scenes despite having that cheerful music!

On the other hand, it's sad that Kurumi-chan didn't confess her feelings for sempai before becoming one of them!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 00:47   Link #206
rladls2121

Now that I have seen it, there's no way I'll see these females as normally living comfortably in the school.
Even so, I don't want think of it as nothing happened and live it as part of everyday school life.
No, school life is actually all they have right now, how can this be?
Now Im becoming weird to think this is the school.

And Yuki, she has quite taken alike her school "recently", huh?
Then Im going to find out what would she thinks about her school previously.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 01:54   Link #207
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Also, note that no one else addresses Megu's presence unless Yuki mentions her first, and that during breakfast there were only four glasses on the table.

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 08:03   Link #208
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
On the other hand, it's sad that Kurumi-chan didn't confess her feelings for sempai before becoming one of them!
Sempai finally noticed her. Too bad it was only for her brains mind. Does that mean zombies are less shallow than people?
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 09:07   Link #209
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Two episodes in I still don't know what's more fucked up: the situation they're in, or the fact that they willingly enable her to continue living in her delusion of normalcy, and even go along with her. I've seen this happen in real life with a few patients I've worked with. None of those ended up well in any way. Then again, you know, Nitroplus writing staff.

This is still the most surprisingly good show of the season though. Might pick up the manga soon.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 09:55   Link #210
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Two episodes in I still don't know what's more fucked up: the situation they're in, or the fact that they willingly enable her to continue living in her delusion of normalcy, and even go along with her. I've seen this happen in real life with a few patients I've worked with. None of those ended up well in any way. Then again, you know, Nitroplus writing staff.

This is still the most surprisingly good show of the season though. Might pick up the manga soon.
So, you have witnessed a case like this. From your experience, what is the better thing to do to handle her? For me, I'm more inclined toward Mii-kun's opinion. We can't always let her to continue like that. Sooner or later we must let her realize the situation around her. It's too dangerous (for herself and others) to continue like that.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 09:58   Link #211
bastek66

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-07-17, 10:29   Link #212
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:

At some point certainly they're going to have to handle Yuki's delusions, but on the other hand they're just kids and probably don't know how to deal with that any better than to just keep an eye on her and hope she snaps out of it.
Maybe they're scared that if they force the issue Yuki could run off right into the nearest zombie.

Maybe the school library doesn't carry any psychology books...!

Definitely a better show than I was expecting, and the manga's going to be on my buy list.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 10:36   Link #213
Marina2

Quote:

One of reasons why they go along with her is because it is fun thing to do.

In situation like this, it is very easy to lose your mind from the stress. For them, It is like Yuuki is a person who always stay positive about the situation. Her behavior makes them feel relaxed and gives them the hope to continue fighting/living on.

Moreover, sometime they get the benefit from what Yuuki suggested them to do. (Don't forget that they can choose to deny her request, if it is too risky.)

Last edited by Marina2; 2015-07-17 at 10:46.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 10:37   Link #214
Draco Spirit

I like how the Moe and Horror sides of the show complement each other.

In a lot of zombie films, they make the human character asses, which for me reduces my investment in the characters fates. Since why should I care if the self centred jerk becomes zombie chow?

But with School Live, I don't want these decent and lovely girls to get eaten, they're too cute to die! Similarly the slice of life elements increase investment, and friendship stuff, rather than being sickly sweet, really benefits from the horror survival aspects, since they neeed really need strong bonds if they're going to get through this ordeal alive.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 10:39   Link #215
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:

I can't mention story reasons, but I can mention one obvious reason they play along: it's mostly harmless and it keeps her stable. This is a situation where you really don't want someone who is cracking under pressure to finally snap and do something to fuck up your survival. Besides that, playing along can also be a coping measure for the sane.

I will say that people shouldn't be writing her off as "that crazy girl" just yet. She's a much more complex character than she appears to be at first glance.
Old 2015-07-17, 10:53   Link #216
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's a function of "it's only a matter of time." There will come a time where the gravity of their situation will finally cave in on her delusion because as time passes, well, I'm sure that their situation will only become more dire.

The longer a patient becomes accustomed to the normalcy of their delusion, the more destructive to the mind the shattering of the delusion becomes. Likewise you can't suddenly attempt to break a delusion no matter how long it's been going on. The person needs to accept that their delusion is only that, a delusion. Forcing someone to see reality over a delusion only makes it more difficult for the person to accept and discern truth from fiction.

So in psychiatry it's a matter of finding the midpoint. Do not let it continue longer than it has, but do not abruptly break it. This of course presumes that reality itself is easily acceptable. When you're faced with a reality of the living dead, well, I assume it becomes soooooo much more difficult.

In fact, as much as possible, it should have never been allowed to begin in the first place. I won't blame them for what they did, none of them are trained to handle something like this, but they only dodged a bullet and traded it for a problem that will become so much bigger than any of them realize.
Old 2015-07-17, 11:03   Link #217
Dop
Mmmm....

^ Great post, good to hear an informed viewpoint.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 11:25   Link #218
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I thought they were grade school girls, but they are actually high school girls?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 11:39   Link #219
YotsuMaboroshi

Yep, they're in high school.
YotsuMaboroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 11:53   Link #220
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I should also add that she's also having illusions, in the sense that she's sees and hears (visual and auditory illusion) alongside her belief that everything is still normal (delusions).

Traditionally in DSM-IV having delusion and illusions are are already grounds for a diagnosis of schizophrenia, and assuming it rings true for her, the zombie outbreak event is the likely trigger. Most cases actually manifest in the teens and twenties so, you know, it's not far off to say she's suffering from 2 of the major criteria sufficient for diagnosis.

Incidentally there is a Stephen King book that's also about mass extinction of humanity. I forget the title.

Tags
manga time kirara, read the manga, seinen, slice of life, zombie apocalypse