AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-08-13, 12:54   Link #581
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Ep 06

The ED was a nice one, just the like the one at the end of episode 4.

Looks like most of the characters have all been introduced now ... perhaps next episode the story itself will start moving forward more noticeably?
Given they continue to be faithful to the manga, correct, there is only forward to go from here. They did some things out of order that made us go backwards here (the mall thing/miki joining happened in real time in the manga, not as a flash back) but its pretty much just forward now.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 13:22   Link #582
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Oh god, I haven't been disturbed of something this badly. Where to start..

First off, I've watched all 6 episodes of this today, and I had to wait a bit for ep6.

I knew from the season previews that there were a few series about "cute girls doing x things" airing this season. I'm not really a fan of slice of life series but I would've checked this out sooner if I knew it was about a zombie apocalypse.

Wow, I mean, I already knew something was up with Megu-nee, she doesn't eat, and she kept referring to her lack of presence and that she WAS a teacher. There was also this scene in the library where she didn't have a backpack before but in the next scene she suddenly had one. I thought that grave in the rooftop was where kurumi's sempai was buried, but apparently that's where megu-nee was.

And Yuki.. dayum. She's broken, that's obvious, and people who call her PTSD-chan describes her perfectly. I think the others play along since they don't know if she'll suddenly snap if they don't and they all get killed. I do think all 4 of them are alive and they exist, and that they'll all survive since this is still, I hope, a typical slice of life series.

Quote:
But we also see that Yuki also brings an invaluable, unquantifiable element to the After-School Club that is not "practical", but still needed for their sanity. Just "not dying" is not enough, as emphasized in the flashback scene between Kei and Miki. Yuki brings an element to the group (as odd as it may appear) of actually "living".
Yuki and Megu-nee's existence is accurately described in this wikipedia entry: Third Man factor I apologize if it has been mentioned before. I haven't read the other pages.

The amount of research done for this must've been substantial and well thought out for a slice of life school club series, which includes elements not typically seen in anime like I am Legend/Day of the Dead and Stephen King references.

Finally, my main point. For me personally, ghost stories or any type of paranormal stories are sometimes scary, but when you add creepy kids into the equation, like black eyed kids, or a ghost child haunting an area, it raises the scare factor quite a bit, and I can't quite explain why.

But this, this is a whole new level of feeling for me. It's creepy and scary at the same time. I don't mind watching the occasional zombie apocalypse series, heck one of the few US TV shows I follow is The Walking Dead, but somehow mixing it with a creepy broken genki girl like Yuki in a slice of life anime setting, occasionally showing "normal" cute and comedic scenes while at the same time hinting at the horrors that surround them. Man, it's ... unsettling to say the least. A slice of life/zombie apocalypse series shouldn't work smoothly like this, but it does, and it's disturbing.

TL;DR

I'm hooked on this series. I know the manga is ongoing but I hope they'll end this properly.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 13:53   Link #583
PreSage
Hoodwinked...

I think this concept of juxtapositioning the normal everyday life (disguised as Yuki's delusions) with the horrific reality is something quite new in the zombie genre. I don't think I've come across something like this in any zombie-related shows I've seen or heard about. And I think it is this juxtaposition that really makes this series so interesting and thrilling.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 14:05   Link #584
Hmm....

After quietly wait and see for 3 episodes, Let me officially say that I prefer manga version better. The anime isn't half-bad either. I just think that manga handle things way better.

Spoiler for Boring manga comparison rant:

I encourage anime watchers to check out the manga AFTER this season is finished. It take different approach to the same story. It will still be a good read.

Last edited by Flower; 2015-08-13 at 14:34. Reason: Please - no hints or quoting from ANY part of the source material that may show up in future anime eps.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 14:18   Link #585
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

I must have missed those hints about Megu-nee because this episode and that ED hit me really bad. I'm gonna go cry now.
DeathAngelBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 15:25   Link #586
Yamada II

Episode 6

So what were we watching in these past 5 episodes? All of that Megu-nee was just Yuki's little loli delusion? Now I'm starting to doubt whether the remaining girls are still alive or are they Yuki's delusions again. Well, this kinda explains why Kurumi was driving when going to the mall and why Megu-nee was out patrolling during the indoor camping. Damn that ED and the next episode preview. She really didn't have any presence there at all. Now I feel weird. Thanks a lot, Gakkou Gurashi.
Old 2015-08-13, 15:50   Link #587
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
After quietly wait and see for 3 episodes, Let me officially say that I prefer manga version better. The anime isn't half-bad either. I just think that manga handle things way better.

Spoiler for Boring manga comparison rant:

I encourage anime watchers to check out the manga AFTER this season is finished. It take different approach to the same story. It will still be a good read.
I actually like the anime quite a bit in any case...

Spoiler for response, no real manga spoilers:

I'm pretty curious how they are gonna go about next episode.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 17:05   Link #588
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post
Episode 6

So what were we watching in these past 5 episodes? All of that Megu-nee was just Yuki's little loli delusion? Now I'm starting to doubt whether the remaining girls are still alive or are they Yuki's delusions again. Well, this kinda explains why Kurumi was driving when going to the mall and why Megu-nee was out patrolling during the indoor camping. Damn that ED and the next episode preview. She really didn't have any presence there at all. Now I feel weird. Thanks a lot, Gakkou Gurashi.
The other girls have interacted with each other without Yuki around, Rii and Miki did it in this epi so aside from the odd scene in the ED I do think the other girls are real, espc since we've seen stuff from Miki's POV.

I see now why Rii wants Miki to play along, honestly if it wasn't for Yuki's delusions Rii and Kurumi probably would have lost it. They said Yuki always gives them something when they need it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 18:41   Link #589
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I suppose Yuki's situation is an interesting one to consider. Certainly her condition can be seen as a plus for the main group. It helps lighten things up when the stress and darkness of reality might crush them all. But at the same time...is it really a good thing for Yuki herself? Is she even really living while completely detached from reality?

Regardless only so long this kind of status quo can continue. At a certain point she'd normally have graduated. Maybe she'll just further detach and not notice their growth and in a sense reset the school year after the term is over, but who knows.

It's interesting situation. It's good for Rii and Kurumi to have Yuki like this rather than a traumatized girl despairing over the loss of normalcy and her teacher. But....this episode made me feel like she's kind of a convenient tool for that group to help them, but not helping her own mental wellbeing.
Old 2015-08-13, 18:49   Link #590
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It's interesting situation. It's good for Rii and Kurumi to have Yuki like this rather than a traumatized girl despairing over the loss of normalcy and her teacher. But....this episode made me feel like she's kind of a convenient tool for that group to help them, but not helping her own mental wellbeing.
Things is, they can't do anything about it. It's not like they could force her to snap out of her trauma. Things don't work like that. It would probably do more harm than good.

In fact, if you go back to episode 2, Miki, Yuuri and Kurumi have another discussion about Yuki's condition, and Yuuri does mention that they really don't know how to help her (they're not experts). That's why they're just keeping an eye on her for now.

So the way I see it, it's not that they're keeping Yuki in this state deliberately because it's convenient. Rather, since they can't really help her, or don't know exactly how to help her, they're making the best out of the situation they're in.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-08-13 at 19:02.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 19:52   Link #591
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Zombie apocalypse cliche often have that one person losing touch with reality and eventually dooming everyone, when its not the sociopath like the producer in Dead Set.
Old 2015-08-13, 20:28   Link #592
ices
Working Hard

As I mention previously in this post, if we combine episode's card from episode 1 till 4, we will get this picture book:

Now, in episode 6, it's revealed that the picture book actually the same book as drawn by Yuki.

That was nice

Next I'll post something I found in the OP.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 21:17   Link #593
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well they finely said it and with such a weird way of doing it to
Old 2015-08-13, 21:24   Link #594
YotsuMaboroshi

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, but there are some things I think weren't handled well by the anime with Miki (and I can actually state them now that the anime has moved past them).

Spoiler for manga comparisons with the anime, especially regarding Miki:

Last edited by Flower; 2015-08-13 at 21:52. Reason: Please use spoiler tags when comparing source material with material shown in the anime....
YotsuMaboroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 21:33   Link #595
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Although it became obvious at some point, it was still sad to see it.

That girl is the heart of the group. Without her delusion, the group would be much more... grim. Her delusion also allow them to momentarily forget the harshness of reality and have much needed relaxation.

They might have broken down mentally if they were all "grim and doom" shivering in school.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 22:59   Link #596
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Love the reveal when Miki ask Yuki who Megumi is and the real world is revealed and Yuki's face starts to crack.

And the music was very scary as well.
Old 2015-08-14, 02:38   Link #597
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well confirmed PTSD excludes the diagnosis of schizophrenia in her illusions and delusions. Assuming of course they also disappear when he finals gets into acceptance.

But that's certainly not going to happen until at least the end of the story since this massive divide between reality and fantasy is the main theme of the show.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 05:29   Link #598
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for ED:

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 05:57   Link #599
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Things is, they can't do anything about it. It's not like they could force her to snap out of her trauma. Things don't work like that. It would probably do more harm than good.

In fact, if you go back to episode 2, Miki, Yuuri and Kurumi have another discussion about Yuki's condition, and Yuuri does mention that they really don't know how to help her (they're not experts). That's why they're just keeping an eye on her for now.

So the way I see it, it's not that they're keeping Yuki in this state deliberately because it's convenient. Rather, since they can't really help her, or don't know exactly how to help her, they're making the best out of the situation they're in.
While that may be true, I still see it as an excuse from Rii part (a very sounding one at least)

The way I look at it. She want Yuki to stay the way she is for her own reason, not Yuki's well being. "It is not about whether she will recover or not", she said. While they don't know proper way to solve this, they don't actively seek it either. They never ever show any concern about Yuki's condition so far. While Rii may not has any evil intention, she doesn't think far ahead. She just enjoy Yuki the way she is right now. The time will come when they can't maintain her delusion. What are they going to do then. They no longer have time to sooth her out of it. They will either have to snap her out or let her die happy.... well that is creepy

I don't blame her to think that way though. She is just an average high school girl in zombie apocalypse after all.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 07:34   Link #600
Kazu-kun

^ We'll have to agree to disagree then. Her explanation for not trying to "cure" Yuki seems perfectly reasonable, and I don't think we know Yuuri well enough as a character to claim it's just an excuse.

Ultimately, they can't help Yuki. They can only protect her until Yuki is ready to snap out of it on her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
They never ever show any concern about Yuki's condition so far.
Because they're used to it now. They were most likely very concerned when Yuki first started to develop this condition.

Tags
manga time kirara, read the manga, seinen, slice of life, zombie apocalypse