AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-12-11, 23:32   Link #121
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
It's about extremely shitty warpsharped raws of a series that aired in the first half of 2006, so no need to go all "hurf I r bettar" about it.

Then again some people just don't seem to "get" filtering, but that's getting rarer and raws are getting better.
The funny thing about warpsharped raws are that when people get them they... seem to warpsharp them some more.

I didn't know the raws looked that bad; I actually didn't read the topic that well when I made that post.

Encoding is too much still, I should come out of retirement. Who wants a washed up encoder with a 4 year old CPU and plenty of mf scripts to go round?
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 17:24   Link #122
Nergol

Oh, this again.

Rather than going into all the arguments I made about why I avoid .mkv like the plague a few months ago, I'll simply state again that I have bad experiences time and time again with the format, and as long as I continue to have them, I'll continue to avoid .mkv

Again, .avi is more popular than .mkv by greater than 2-1 in downloads. Aren't the .mkv crowd just saying: "The whole world hates my format. What's wrong with the whole world?"
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 18:01   Link #123
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Oh, this again.

Rather than going into all the arguments I made about why I avoid .mkv like the plague a few months ago, I'll simply state again that I have bad experiences time and time again with the format, and as long as I continue to have them, I'll continue to avoid .mkv

Again, .avi is more popular than .mkv by greater than 2-1 in downloads. Aren't the .mkv crowd just saying: "The whole world hates my format. What's wrong with the whole world?"
The thing is that people are lazy. Why do you think people are still listening to mp3s?

If mkv was the only option, you'd get it working and we'd be done with it. No more silly buggers. There as much chance as XVid/AVI not working on your syster as x264/MKV if you simply use CCCP on a clean install. That and use a proper OS, no Windows ME..........
Old 2008-01-04, 18:39   Link #124
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Some people are idiots (read trolls) and like to pretend that "it just doesn't work omfg". Even without the CCCP it's extremely easy to play MKVs.

Seems pretty stupid to purposefully not watch certain shows because the files are in a container format you have declared "does not work/is a plague/kills chidren" or some such. But since you are clearly just a troll pretending to be ignorant, I doubt you really are avoiding them at all but continue to play them (with perfect ease) when you have to.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 20:14   Link #125
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well you know I'm not gonna get into this whole elitist $hit where people with 8, 9 hardrives hooked up as one cpu with every supped up processing whatchamacallit hitting at full capacity e-penising others who just have "an above average computer" ...I admit that the overall quality lies in formats that exceed the easily usable avi...Hell I used to love divx with a passion and wouldn't change for jack, but like most I had no choice and in many cases glad I did finally accept the change, but the $hit that kills me about the whole mkv situation (If it's such a wave of the future, soopa format) is that almost no 2 mkv files are the same and it's totally sporadic the performance you get based on what group you use...Some mkv's play fine, don't overload my cpu at all, high quality and all that...Then you get files that wouldn't play right if you lit a candle in catholic mass for it (And I certainly don't just mean hi-def vs. non hi-def)...

Then you try and be smart and say fukk it I'm converting this $hit and when you try sometimes the converter won't even convert that $hit...I have 2 MKV to AVI converters and I have a better chance of walking away with all the winnings from a liquer store dice-game then I have of mkv's consistently converting...Like right now I have the DN directors cut on my cpu but can't watch it nor convert it because it "one of those" mkv's...So keep looking down your noses at people with just GOOD COMPUTERS (not black-market supped up or techy-kid versions--in some cases not even 2 or 3 years old) who get frustrated they can't play what's supposed to be the best format...News at 11, the best format can't be one that's so UN-universal that damn near every file you watch of the format is different...Atleast with avi you trade limited quality for knowing exactly what you're dealing with (even with hi-def)...Mkv probably wouldn't pi$$ so many off or even spawn trolling if it was at the very least a consistent format...

I would buy into all techy elitism if all those files just worked the same instead of being straight pot luck (atleast for me and many others)...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2008-01-05 at 06:38. Reason: format...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 20:46   Link #126
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well you know I'm not gonna get into this whole elitist $hit where people with 8, 9 hardrives hooked up as one cpu with every supped up processing whatchamacallit hitting at full capacity e-penising others who just have "an above average computer" ...
That was one of the best posts I've ever seen.

That's one of the problems with x264 in this debate -- there's 2850328523 features, 4 of them only usable by chickens, and lots of them increase decoding power. This is a good thing and a bad thing, I guess -- H.264 is a VERY stupid CODEC, imo, when you get down to its sheer power.

I've been watching Froth-Bite's Nodame Cantabile recently, and they're probably the best fansubs I've ever seen, especially encoding wise. It's more or less flawless. I'm too lazy to hook up my TV-Out right now, so I'm watching them on my 22" CRT (which is what I use for encoding!), and the files look more or less flawless. Even though I haven't encoded in a while and my video eyes are a bit rusty, I still stop pretty often when watching things and think "Hey, blocking..." Hasn't happened ONCE with this series. The subtitles themselves are amazing too -- these fansubs represent pure unadulturated enjoyment of the series with nothing to distract from it. Of corse they ARE .mp4 and should be .mkv, but... naw, j/k... These fansubs are KING. If anyone knows the encoder, give me his email, so I can give him the "DON OF LIFE" award if I don't know him already :P
(Edit: A little bit of a coinsidence though, since I can argue with myself that they look amazing to me because the style of the encoding -- sharpness levels, contrast/brightness, etc, etc, etc, etc -- are similar to what I'd have done with it too... but there you go...)

In spite of the above paragraph, seriously, screw .avi. I can probably make XVid out-perform 90% of the current crop of fansub encoders still, but I seriously can't even touch the quality of these episodes.

You could probably put my PC together for maybe £500 these days too...
Old 2008-01-04, 20:54   Link #127
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
I admit that the overall quality lies in formats that exceed the easily usable avi...Hell I used to love divx with a passion and wouldn't change for jack, but like most I had no choice and in many cases glad I did finally accept the change, but the $hit that kills me about the whole mkv situation (If it's such a wave of the future, soopa format) is that almost no 2 mkv files are the same and it's totally sporadic the performance you get based on what group you use...Some mkv's play fine, don't overload my cpu at all, high quality and all that...Then you get files that wouldn't play right if you lit a candle in catholic mass for it (And I certainly don't just mean hi-def vs. non hi-def)...
That is entirely the purpose of the container. The encoder (see person making the files) chooses what he wants to put inside, to the quality level of his desire. It seems more you are complaining about the fact that everyone has a different standard of quality (i.e. which codecs to use and what settings) and no problem with the container at all. Go bitch the people out that use settings you don't like, though that probably won't be too smart :P.

MKV is the "wave of the future" because it allows the user so many possibilities of what to do with it. Not to mention it is opensource and was outlined well enough to adapt to future codecs/formats quite easily (see without hacks). The reason you "can't" play some MKVs is not because of the container, it is because you don't have the correct decoder or Matroska splitter installed (see CCCP). Obvious answer that has been said a thousand times. Or if you mean you can't play because your system is too slow...well that has obvious answer too. Don't download HD files with H.264 video, since that is essentially the only thing requiring lots of power to decode. The problem would be the same if the container were MP4, or even god forsaken AVI. A different container is not going to make the video suddenly easier to decode. High definition H.264 is just a bitch, thats all there is to it. Typical suggestion is get CoreAVC, and if you don't have a machine over 4 years old you probably won't have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Then you try and be smart and say fukk it I'm converting this $hit and when you try sometimes the converter won't even convert that $hit...I have 2 MKV to AVI converters and I have a better chance of walking away with all the winnings from a liquer store dice-game in the hood then I have of mkv's consistently converting.
Stop being one of the idiots using the "automagic encode from MKV apps" and just learn to encode. You'll find it is EXTREMELY simple to re-encode MKV content with the basic tools you would also use to make them. Since I have become lazy myself, with a hardware player that plays DivX, I too have entered into the idiotic mentality of re-encoding content to watch on TV. Also since I am extremely lazy/efficient, I've taken habit to just write some small Batch scripts to re-encode what I want to Xvid+MP3 AVI all in one go. All I do now is enter in a few bits of info (depending on the source of what I am encoding from) press butan and then burn the re-encoded files to a DVD+RW and watch. Simple. Never expect do it all apps to work for every video file under the sun. Same problem you should expect from any one press button apps.

In summary, you aren't bitching about the container. No one really knows what you are bitching about anymore. It works fine, both playing and re-encoding. If it doesn't work for you perhaps instead of thinking "there is something wrong with it", instead ponder "i am doing it wrong" because it certainly sounds like you are. The problem you seem to have with MKV is because unlike AVI which forces everyone to use certain specifics, MKV does not. So get over it...or start creating some "union of encoders" which specifically forces them to use certain codecs/settings :P. Guess what, it is not the users/leeches/customers(lol) which are going to decide what container a group is going to use.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2008-01-04 at 21:06.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 21:23   Link #128
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

Quote:
i really don't know where you get your numbers. it's bullshit. and if it's true, it's because there might still be more avi encodes than mkv, but that's not relative.
for all our recent releases, mkv has proved to be a lot more popular. first i thought this to be because we only had an MKV version for our HD gundam release. but after looking at non-HD only releases, mkv is still a lot more popular. to give you an idea, we got 21928 downloads on h264/MKV ef-tale of memories-, and 6485 downloads for the XviD/AVI version.
Old 2008-01-05, 00:48   Link #129
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
i really don't know where you get your numbers. it's bullshit. and if it's true, it's because there might still be more avi encodes than mkv, but that's not relative.
for all our recent releases, mkv has proved to be a lot more popular. first i thought this to be because we only had an MKV version for our HD gundam release. but after looking at non-HD only releases, mkv is still a lot more popular. to give you an idea, we got 21928 downloads on h264/MKV ef-tale of memories-, and 6485 downloads for the XviD/AVI version.
isn't that because most people watching ef are smarter than average leecher?
Old 2008-01-05, 03:05   Link #130
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Aren't the .mkv crowd just saying: "The whole world hates my format. What's wrong with the whole world?"
No. We know the majority of the human population is fucking retarded. It's no surprise to anybody.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 03:33   Link #131
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

Do I really have to donate 100$ to every guy who can't play H264, to get a better computer than they already got?
It seems like everyone is running on ancient computers...

I'm not one of these elitist, lolz, far from. But I kinda stopped using Windows 3.11 quite a while ago.
And I kinda don't expect my XviD-codecs to work for every possible format.
Old 2008-01-05, 06:34   Link #132
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot View Post
That and use a proper OS, no Windows ME..........
And the fact that there's no CCCP build for OSX. And unlike some people, I don't think people should have to go in and manually dig out mplayer's preferences in terminal to make subs work.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 07:27   Link #133
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore View Post
And the fact that there's no CCCP build for OSX. And unlike some people, I don't think people should have to go in and manually dig out mplayer's preferences in terminal to make subs work.
No CCCP, but Perian is a good and easy to use piece of software for OSX.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 10:44   Link #134
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
No CCCP, but Perian is a good and easy to use piece of software for OSX.
That is,when the sound isn't encoded in AAC,in which case you'll get no sound (hopefully they'll fix that soon)
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 13:41   Link #135
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well you know I'm not gonna get into this whole elitist $hit where people with 8, 9 hardrives hooked up as one cpu with every supped up processing whatchamacallit hitting at full capacity e-penising others who just have "an above average computer" ...

My computer specs:

AMD Sempron 2600+
1.60GHz
512MB RAM
Cost at purchase: ~£100 (2 and a half years ago)

It runs .mkv releases fine. Haven't had any trouble at all. And if you have a worse system than mine, then seriously, you gotta upgrade.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 14:00   Link #136
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

i used to easily run any h264 encode on my Sempron 2400+ 256meg ram GeForce 2gts...
HD encodes would run too, with coreavc.
now i have a core2duo@1.86ghz, 1 gig of ram, and it runs HD H264 fine, hardly uses my CPU. and it's not even a top of the line computer
Old 2008-01-05, 15:49   Link #137
emptyeighty

My Athlon 750Mhz plays SD h264 without problems.
Old 2008-01-05, 16:07   Link #138
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Oh yeah, just to mention... I actually used to play h264 mkv fine before I upgraded the RAM - the computer actually came with 256MB. I upgraded in the hope I'd be able to watch HD releases. Alas, that didn't make any difference...
Old 2008-01-05, 17:57   Link #139
emptyeighty

Video playback is 99.9% CPU dependant. No special RAM or vidcard required at all.
Old 2008-01-05, 18:43   Link #140
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

*sigh* So I'm stuck till I upgrade again? Oh well, I'll have to stick with SD releases...